Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I saw the movies first then read the manga and honestly I didn't miss much.

The manga is a little more heavy handed on the Griffen foreshadowing I guess.

Edit: I guess you miss guts childhood but that doesn't add that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

CharlestheHammer posted:

Aside from forming a character arc and shaping his personality, sure, not missing much. Same with Bonfire of Dreams, it's just spelling out what he feels like he's missing and his motivation for leaving, nothing important. Really all of the Golden Age arc is just building up to the twist, so save yourself some time and skip to that part, you're not missing much of anything really.

I do honestly like the movies, but there's no denying that they're the cliffnotes version of events.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Honestly his childhood doesn't inform his character that much. Besides the touching thing which I don't give a poo poo about.

It does show why he is a merc but honestly that isn't info that is needed. Though a lot of the stuff you all claim is vital really isn't.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CharlestheHammer posted:

The manga is a little more heavy handed on the Griffen foreshadowing I guess.

Well, because it's not intended to be a surprise in the manga. You're basically explicitly told what the deal is immediately before the Golden Age flashback starts.

quote:

It's not a HUGE deal, I suppose, but it's pretty vital to understanding what makes Guts tick. The deep characterization is what puts Berserk above the rest of the breadth of Howard-clone fantasy.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I mean the original anime also skipped a ton of stuff from the Golden Age arc, like Wyald or Silat and his crew. And the Skull Knight!

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

Honestly his childhood doesn't inform his character that much. Besides the touching thing which I don't give a poo poo about.

It does show why he is a merc but honestly that isn't info that is needed. Though a lot of the stuff you all claim is vital really isn't.

his childhood is a huge and extremely important part of forming guts' character as well as being an important plot beat that informs many of the larger themes of the story. not really sure how you could read through the whole story and come away feeling like guts' childhood isn't that important

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I don't read Berserk for the "story" really... It's about the atmosphere mostly, and none of the animated versions come close to capturing the feeling of the manga.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
I guess it's a difference between if you read a story just to see what happens next or for the setting, atmosphere, etc. or if you read it for characterization and a thematic base. thats not a shot against either one, but if you were reading it to see what happens next and because you like the setting then yeah his childhood could easily be cut and it wouldn't affect your enjoyment. if you're reading it for the latter then you miss out on the internal motivations for many of guts' actions plus the intended parallel between how guts' childhood and relationship with his father figure mirrors the relationship that guts has with his own child

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

apropos to nothing posted:

his childhood is a huge and extremely important part of forming guts' character as well as being an important plot beat that informs many of the larger themes of the story. not really sure how you could read through the whole story and come away feeling like guts' childhood isn't that important

You all keep saying that but saying a thing doesn't make it true.

Also the movies fixed that terrible fortress capture segment which was nice.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

You all keep saying that but saying a thing doesn't make it true.

Also the movies fixed that terrible fortress capture segment which was nice.

no but the fact that guts has constant nightmares about his childhood does. that miura clearly means to make guts' current situation with his family mirror exactly the situation of guts' father figure gambino does. that casca and guts' relationship is built in large part on their shared history of being victims of sexual violence does. the fact that guts' entire motivation for leaving the hawks comes in large part from seeing parts of his childhood self in a person he kills (adonis). like yes you can have the story without showing his childhood but it definitely hurts his characterization and I feel like if that's not apparent to you then you're reading books wrong

Mugticket
Sep 13, 2011

the fact that guts' entire motivation for leaving the hawks comes in large part from seeing parts of his childhood self in a person he kills (adonis).

Are you sure about this? It has been a while but I remember always thinking that the reason that Guts left was hearing the bonfire of dreams -speech. Knowing that he could never be Griffiths equal if he had no reason of his own for living.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
the two events happen in tandem. guts kills adonis without realizing who it is. this comes right after he sees him training with his dad and it reminds guts of his childhood. shortly after he passes out in the sewer and has a dream in which he, as zodd, kills his childhood self and his father. he then goes on to hear griffiths speech about friends and dreams. he's basically turned himself into a monster to help his friend griffith only to realize that griffith doesnt even consider him a friend. similar to how he turns himself into a ruthless mercenary all for gambinos approval and love, only for gambino to betray him.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
*checks thread*

Everyone posted:

REALLY strong opinions on things I do not care about.

Whelp. I guess Miura is still playing idol games. I'm going back to bed. Someone wake me when there's a new chapter. Rip Van Winkle me.

Mugticket
Sep 13, 2011

That makes sense. I never noticed the parallel.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
The Berserk manga is unquestionably great, but it's just so dense in terms of both story, characterization and theme that almost any adaptation will have to introduce cuts, omissions and changes or otherwise merely reach a full stop at some point. TV series and OVAs dedicated to specific arcs are probably the safest alternatives, but adapting the whole work is going to take many years. Which means the manga will always remain the richest version of the story, no doubt, but you can still enjoy the simplified versions on a comparatively more superficial yet still valid level.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

dogsicle posted:

the answer is always to re-read the manga while playing the anime ost as background music.

e: hell, the movie osts have some good tracks too.

We should do this and then reconvene.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

I guess it's a difference between if you read a story just to see what happens next or for the setting, atmosphere, etc. or if you read it for characterization and a thematic base. thats not a shot against either one, but if you were reading it to see what happens next and because you like the setting then yeah his childhood could easily be cut and it wouldn't affect your enjoyment. if you're reading it for the latter then you miss out on the internal motivations for many of guts' actions plus the intended parallel between how guts' childhood and relationship with his father figure mirrors the relationship that guts has with his own child

well, i read stories for the stories, which is why i dont skip the beginnings of the stories

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I read the story for character and story and I am glad the movie cut all the unnecessary poo poo.

Honestly there is more it could have cut if we are being real. They kept a lot of the clunky dialog, as an example.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

CharlestheHammer posted:

I read the story for character and story and I am glad the movie cut all the unnecessary poo poo.

Honestly there is more it could have cut if we are being real. They kept a lot of the clunky dialog, as an example.

wow you are the worst loving poster ever

anyway Berserk is really good and the movies are really not good precisely because they make rob the source material of what separates it from the chaff. Berserk isn't elevated by cool sword fights and amazing art (though those obviously do not hurt a bit) because you can find that kind of stuff in all sorts of poo poo that doesn't get the same recognition for greatness that Berserk does. Berserk is elevated by a master class in oppressive atmosphere and compelling characters, and, surprise, when you cut that "unnecessary" content the story suffers

if what you're saying is "I don't like it when there's nobody on-screen literally dying/expositing" then that's fine, but don't pretend like this is anything other than the worst opinion in the world

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I do like the atmosphere, I wish Guts himself was more interesting. I like Casca and was sad she went the way she did. I am only like 19 volumes in but Gutz can not carry the book by himself.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I do like the atmosphere, I wish Guts himself was more interesting. I like Casca and was sad she went the way she did. I am only like 19 volumes in but Gutz can not carry the book by himself.

Holy poo poo how is Guts not an interesting character? Like, I have such a terrible memory that I've forgotten 2/3 of the poo poo that's happened to him / he's done and I STILL remember that he's an interesting and compelling character.

On that note, maybe I should re-read Berserk. And not ask questions of a moron.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Holy poo poo how is Guts not an interesting character? Like, I have such a terrible memory that I've forgotten 2/3 of the poo poo that's happened to him / he's done and I STILL remember that he's an interesting and compelling character.

On that note, maybe I should re-read Berserk. And not ask questions of a moron.

He's rear end deep in the Black Swordsman arc and Guts is still refusing to interact with anyone he can't stab.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

He's rear end deep in the Black Swordsman arc and Guts is still refusing to interact with anyone he can't stab.

Yeah I know why they are having him do that but man it makes reading it tedious.

Though I know he begins to pick up a party soon so maybe it will be better when he has people to bounce off of.

Also I laugh that everyone loves him despite him having no redeeming qualities at this point.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

dis astranagant posted:

I haven't read in a while and forget most of it too but IIRC the Black Swordsman arc is the "Guts is an rear end in a top hat" arc which is there to set up his journey of becoming less of an rear end in a top hat in the subsequent arcs.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

dis astranagant posted:

Ah, okay, I can see that.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I haven't read in a while and forget most of it too but IIRC the Black Swordsman arc is the "Guts is an rear end in a top hat" arc which is there to set up his journey of becoming less of an rear end in a top hat in the subsequent arcs.

It is, but it goes on for 10 books and I can see it wearing on someone.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
The TV show cut a few things like Wylad and the 4 assassins after Griffith was rescued. I think the 4 assassins were fluff and only showcased Pippen so it wasn't necessary. Wylad would have given away the Eclipse, so his removal worked for the better. Silat was cut but at that point in the story, he was irrelevant. That scene was cool only because Silat came back like a million chapters later to play a role but he was forgotten all the way up until Ganishka.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Wyald was a mistake and his removal was an improvement.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The stuff the TV anime cut was to make it more a self contained coherent story, albeit one with a very open ending

The stuff the movie cut was... I dunno, budget restrictions? It's not runtime, because the first one wasn't even 90 minutes long. Maybe they felt scenes of CG soldiers clashing together unconvincingly was more important?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The worst movie change was no Zodd throwing the sword, because it's an awesome moment that isn't just removed but is actually changed for the worse.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I kind of prefer the cartoon version of that arc since it doesn't have like a dozen detailed rape scenes that don't add anything except saying the bad guys are bad. It does keep most of the dark stuff that matter.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
wyald was awesome because he seems huge amd unbeatable and then zodd shows up

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

dogsicle posted:

the answer is always to re-read the manga while playing the anime ost as background music.

e: hell, the movie osts have some good tracks too.
ADTRW's background music at all times: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73WWpKyuWL4

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Crunchyroll just posted on Facebook that the anime starts in 6 weeks.

Also my prediction is it'll start with volume 14, through maybe the first episode will be him meeting Puck. And then in 26 episodes it'll go through the Lost Children and Tower of Conviction Arc, ending with Griffith's rebirth at the end. That would be a nice reflection to the first series which also ended with a Griffith transformation and totally changed the status quo.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 17, 2016

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I've always been split on Wyald. On the one hand, he's always kinda struck me as a kind of tryhard grimdark villain, in a way a lot of the other darker elements of the series haven't (with a few other notable exceptions like the trolls). The world of Berserk's always been pretty grim, but its darkness usually has a sort of weight to it. Then you've got Wyald who rapes, murders, and pillages like he's got some daily quota to fulfill, all the while showboating like a rock star. He feels like the kind of chaotic evil character an edgy teenager would write into their story to establish how "Mature" the setting is.

On the other hand, the pursuit and ensuing battle were tense and for the most part a well-realized climax to Griffith's escape, and Wyald's thoroughly hateable and monstrous nature goes a ways towards establishing him as a threat beyond a lot of the other threats our heroes have faced. His transformation serves as a sign that the tone of the story is about to change, his defeat is oh so sweet, and his true form being a used-up old man has always felt oddly poignant to me despite what a piece of garbage he was.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Wyald was cool. It was a weird place in the story and he was one of the one dimensional demons. It is a relief that he wasn't dragged out for maximize edge lord effect "I'm evil but I'm sad". That's what hurts a lot of stories with emotional focuses because they give everything emotions. Maybe the bad guy just likes being bad because its fun, not because he didn't get enough hugs or dad was hit by a truck on Christmas.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything
Wyald's character being totally and irredeemably evil was necessary for the story at that point in time, both to foreshadow the insanity of the eclipse and to draw a line between his character and the "bad" humans we had seen so much of up to that point. The comparison was supposed to show that humans have reasons for doing evil, demons just are evil and are incapable of doing anything that isn't directly harming humans. His character was essential to showing that the cruel world was about to get a lot worse as a lead up to the eclipse.

I'm still reading this series for the first time though, and yea trolls seem to be overkill in making the world as dark as possible. Wyald worked as a dark contrast to the grey morals of everyone else, but by now I'm just getting brutality fatigue.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Wild is bad rear end.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The trolls are pretty hosed up but it's still one of my favourite arcs because of the stuff with the witch and Silke/Schierke/whatever. Then there's the armour and the skull knight being cool.

The stuff with ganishka is more hosed up than wyald and the trolls though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
all of berserk is extremely hosed up and extremely good