Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Hey fellow nerds my company in boise badly needs another analytical chemist. It's lab dedicated to a semiconductor r&d manufacturing site. We work with dangerous poo poo like HF as a warning. It'll be swing/grave 12hr shifts working 3-4 days a week. Because of the shift nature, you will get to do a variety of tests and not just one instrument/test all day. You will not spend all day pipetting.

We need a BS+ chemistry-like degree with a year or two under your belt. Fresh graduate might have a good shot with a solid summer job resume. Pay's great. Job owns. Boise owns.

PM me for details. It's not posted yet but will be unless some internal jerk snags it (unlikely). We're looking to hire fast on the large company hr speedometer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Hi, fellow GDP / GLP fanatics! I have a doozy for you today.

As part of a long-term project studying variability in our manufacturing process and "soft" activities that could impact it (operator performance, equipment day to day, etc etc), we had a two-week-long observation period where we had a scientist watching operations constantly, under the false guise that we were just watching the equipment due to recent surprise outages. (Apparently this excuse worked, because the operators did all sorts of poo poo wrong in front of us.)

Anyway, long story short, we took trillions of photos and videotaped full sessions of manufacturing as part of it. About 40GB of video information.

...so now that we're writing up our reports, what do we do with all that video information? It's evidence from the observation sessions, so it needs to be recorded. We have no electronic lab notebook system and no systems able to handle videos. Our R&D controlled document server only accepts DOC, DOCX, RTF and PDF files, and there is no other controlled repository in the company for videos. Furthermore, the manufacturing protocol system isn't even electronic yet. It's a hand-signed document which will be kept with all our other paper documents in Doc Control. What do you do with all the video files? They get referenced in the reports, so they have to go somewhere.

It can't go on a CD because it's too large. It can't be split across DVDs or Tape Disks because they're both banned as formal document media in our retention SOPs.

QA and Regulatory decided that they will put all the videos on a USB stick, put the stick in a plastic zip-lock and then staple the bag to the report.

They picked the only option which cannot reliably be made CSV/GLP compliant--the option where there is no permanent way (and absolutely no temporary way in our SOPs / IT policies) to keep it from being overwritten at a moment's notice.

This isn't for in-house development data, either -- this supports finished product manufacturing. :suicide:

Only a few more weeks. A few more weeks and I'm (95% likely) done here. God almighty.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I was hoping you printed out every frame and made a flip book out of it (each page should be signed and dated too!).

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

gninjagnome posted:

I was hoping you printed out every frame and made a flip book out of it (each page should be signed and dated too!).

That'd at least be aligned with our SOPs. However, we'd really need a Fisher-Price record player to sync the audio for maximum in data integrity.

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos
I work for one of the top 10 largest pharma companies in the world. My site has over 70 buildings and about 3500 employees. We sold over 1 billion dollars in flu shots last year. I work in QC in an I/O critical flu lab. Today the power went out in QC and all back up generators failed. Three hours later we still didn't have power back. All 130+ employees chilling at our muster point. When I was commanded to punch out we (my lab) were freaking out over whether ERT could get gas generators going to power my lab's 1-5 C fridge so our 4 million dollars in reagents wouldn't go out of range and have to be thrown out. We don't sell 1bn in flu if this fridge goes out.

How? How does this happen?

My site generates BILLIONS in revenue.

What.The.gently caress

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Sundae posted:

Anyway, long story short, we took trillions of photos

You averaged tens of millions pictures per second over the two weeks?

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Mourne posted:

I work for one of the top 10 largest pharma companies in the world. My site has over 70 buildings and about 3500 employees. We sold over 1 billion dollars in flu shots last year. I work in QC in an I/O critical flu lab. Today the power went out in QC and all back up generators failed. Three hours later we still didn't have power back. All 130+ employees chilling at our muster point. When I was commanded to punch out we (my lab) were freaking out over whether ERT could get gas generators going to power my lab's 1-5 C fridge so our 4 million dollars in reagents wouldn't go out of range and have to be thrown out. We don't sell 1bn in flu if this fridge goes out.

What.The.gently caress

Why spend money on something that only could happen?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

You averaged tens of millions pictures per second over the two weeks?

Yep. Exactly. Can't possibly be exaggeration. I have the greatest camera ever.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Sundae posted:

Yep. Exactly. Can't possibly be exaggeration. I have the greatest camera ever.

Only available at The Sharper Image.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Mourne posted:

What.The.gently caress

gently caress, even my cheap rear end had protocols for stuffing the fridges with dry ice when the power went out.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Solkanar512 posted:

gently caress, even my cheap rear end had protocols for stuffing the fridges with dry ice when the power went out.

Yeah that's incredibly shameful, we have all sorts of power backups set up, and contingencies for keeping poo poo running in case those fail.

My coworker and I just specced out all the power to our new lab, 600A :coal:

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos

Solkanar512 posted:

Once evacuated ERT won't let anyone back in the building, and the 6-9 dudes who show up and bark orders aren't capable of saving temp controlled units...they're clearly ex-cops/military.

Bastard Tetris posted:

Yeah that's incredibly shameful, we have all sorts of power backups set up, and contingencies for keeping poo poo running in case those fail.

My coworker and I just specced out all the power to our new lab, 600A :coal:

Nice!

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

DemeaninDemon posted:

Hey fellow nerds my company in boise badly needs another analytical chemist. It's lab dedicated to a semiconductor r&d manufacturing site. We work with dangerous poo poo like HF as a warning. It'll be swing/grave 12hr shifts working 3-4 days a week. Because of the shift nature, you will get to do a variety of tests and not just one instrument/test all day. You will not spend all day pipetting.

We need a BS+ chemistry-like degree with a year or two under your belt. Fresh graduate might have a good shot with a solid summer job resume. Pay's great. Job owns. Boise owns.

PM me for details. It's not posted yet but will be unless some internal jerk snags it (unlikely). We're looking to hire fast on the large company hr speedometer.

Idaho owns. I should have never left. If you for some reason need a calibration technician within 6-12 months I'm so in.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
That analytical chemist job I was talking about got posted. PM me if you're interested or email me at chur7222 at Gmail. We're looking to have a dude start around the beginning of may so hurry up.

Did I mention you can get a decent apartment for 600-700/mo here?

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Anyone work for GSK? A headhunter is putting me forward for a job there. Money is good, but it's initially only 6 months "but likely to be extended".

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
My buddies who work at their Philadelphia-area site say it's more of the same old big pharma. That's all I have to go on. They wanted me to come be a process engineer at a site in central bumblefuck, SC, but I declined because gently caress living in rural SC.

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos

outlier posted:

Anyone work for GSK? A headhunter is putting me forward for a job there. Money is good, but it's initially only 6 months "but likely to be extended".

At a GSK competitor's site, temps don't usually stay in one position long because they get BigPharma hours but not BigPharma benefits. And not necessarily BigPharma pay, either. Most temps I know are all trying to convert to BigPharma employee.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
I feel fuckin bad for our contract workers. They're skilled as hell and get a ton of stuff done, but as a new senior hire I probably make 3x in total comp that they do.

Also our site just got a drug to pass FDA approval. I had jack poo poo to do with it, but actually getting something to market is good and cool.

Bastard Tetris fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Apr 6, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Anyone have experience with tracking down a medical device approval? A startup's new-ish product is making some rather iffy claims in its spate of paid push pieces online, and I'm having trouble locating them or their product in FDA databases.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I'm finding nothing relevant in the 510(k) or PMA databases. Their e-mail and chat contacts provide auto-responses indicating that it's "outside business hours" in Venice Beach CA (ha).

$5.00 says they haven't submitted poo poo to the agency.

quote:

Also our site just got a drug to pass FDA approval. I had jack poo poo to do with it, but actually getting something to market is good and cool.

Congratulations!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Sundae posted:

I'm finding nothing relevant in the 510(k) or PMA databases. Their e-mail and chat contacts provide auto-responses indicating that it's "outside business hours" in Venice Beach CA (ha).

$5.00 says they haven't submitted poo poo to the agency.

That's exactly what I'm thinking, and what I saw. I'm going to check around a bit more, then nail them to the wall. They're already giving away free samples!

...If I were smart I'd also make this into a publication. Hm.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 7, 2016

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Discendo Vox posted:

That's exactly what I'm thinking, and what I saw. I'm going to check around a bit more, then nail them to the wall. They're already giving away free samples!

...If I were smart I'd also make this into a publication. Hm.

What do you do for work? You sound like a lawyer and not a scientist, but your presence in this thread indicates lawyer-scientist?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

MickeyFinn posted:

What do you do for work? You sound like a lawyer and not a scientist, but your presence in this thread indicates lawyer-scientist?

Phil Sci bachelors, law degree, getting a social science and bioethics doctorate, aiming for reg work. My underlying ethos is the maximization of outstanding student debt. :v:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Today a couple of us were loafing around in the control room when an operator came in and said

"Hey Steph, why are you always in the middle? Is it because you're the Pivot Man?"

At which point everyone groaned. Except me cause I didn't get it. So I googled Pivot Man when I had a chance, and uh, bad idea. In retrospect, I should have expected Pivot Man to be a circlejerk joke considering who said it.

Guess what screen I had up when the Big Boss wanted to look at something :suicide:

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

If anyone has experience doing single channel recordings I have a job opening for you in Santa Clara, CA. Please PM me.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Is there a gas supplier who doesn't suck? Yet again for the 3rd week running our liquid nitrogen supplier dropped off the order for another department in my building then didn't bother with ours. And it's not this one being the lovely lowest bidder, our liquid helium supplier (who costs a arm and a leg apparently) is somehow even worse. Seriously how can these companies still be in business but fail at their jobs half the time?

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Is there a gas supplier who doesn't suck? Yet again for the 3rd week running our liquid nitrogen supplier dropped off the order for another department in my building then didn't bother with ours. And it's not this one being the lovely lowest bidder, our liquid helium supplier (who costs a arm and a leg apparently) is somehow even worse. Seriously how can these companies still be in business but fail at their jobs half the time?

I am still getting invoices for gas I never bought from Airgas six years after we specifically and loudly terminated all agreements and paid all remaining invoices with them for being completely disorganized and hard to work with. Roberts is not great but it has been infinitely better than Airgas ever was.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I have nothing bad to say about about norco. They're regional and probably don't want to be dicks to buyers around their HQ though. Always delivered on the liquid N2 in grad school and probably wouldn't want to bamboozle my current company.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Me this week after realizing how much poo poo I have to fix because of my coworkers: :psyboom:

I love brains. Brain banks? Not so much...

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?

TheSpartacus posted:

Any ideas on what could cause this type of baseline distortion in an HPLC/UV method? The method is a general method for analysis of a component in ophthalmic products. The mobile phase consists of TBAH (an ion pairing reagent), Ph'ed with phosphoric acid, and ACN. (75%/25%) The baseline dips right when the main peak comes off. This was duplicated as well, so it was a consistent issue with this particular sample (which is notoriously viscous). The analyte peak is nearly 10% higher in conc. than what it is supposed to be (caused by the red hashed area), and if you manually integrate it at the dotted line, you would get the expected concentration. This is still in specification to us, but we still have to investigate because it is very out of the norm and this type of issue has not really been seen before. I just wanted to see if anyone experienced in HPLC has seen this type of issue before and to see how they resolved it or went about investigating it.

So, life has been busy and I forgot to update the thread. We pretty much invalidated this run due to "column equilibration" issues relating to me only equilibrating with mobile phase for ~20 min before running. (I ran a series of 6 equilibration injections totalling 2 hours of combined run time after my initial ~20 min of column flushing). I saw zero issues in my equilibration injections of my controls. This issue was most likely caused by the concentration of the drug finished product being too high, but since we run only 1 point calibration, our samples and controls have to be the same concentration. And since they don't want to have to go back to MV for a drug that has been relatively nice for quite a few years, they'd rather do a retest on something that doesn't need it. Beyond assigning a cause of the column being the issue (it wasn't), no other investigation was done.

In other news, I will be working with ICP-MS and implementing USP requirements for heavy metal testing at my site, and all other sites will follow my work. It is an amazing opportunity for me to get started doing more MD/MV work and I hope will lead to new and exciting places after the project is complete. This project has gotten off to a rocky start. We spent $300k+ on an instrument/microwave a year ago, and it got shelved for a year due to ~reasons~(the person whose project it got promoted and promptly forgot to tell anyone about it). Once we tried to install it this year, we found out that while in storage, we had lost the power cable. A big loving power cable that has a proprietary plug that only goes to one drat thing. After that, we did a major IT infrastructure overhaul that ended up messing up our IQ/OQ'ed system. It took 6 weeks for IT to decide that it was bad enough to call the vendor's support (who loving fixed it in less than hour) when if they had taken the ticket seriously to begin with, it would have only taken two days. One day to see how hosed things where, and a second day to actually call someone who knew how to fix it.

Besides that, I do actually like my QC job. It is not really that stressful or that fast-paced, despite what other people I work with say. Being able to move on to a major project that has significant time doing MD work is probably the most favorite thing I am looking forward to in the near future. Only 2 more days before my daily schedule says "Project" for like 2 years and I get to do what I want with little to no oversight. :byewhore: It is also going to be fun watching everyone poo poo their pants because of how much control the operator needs to have to be successful at using the instrument versus something like HPLC (where we allow the user to make no changes to the method without direct approval).

Overall, its been a good year and I hope to continue the trend!

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Mourne posted:

At a GSK competitor's site, temps don't usually stay in one position long because they get BigPharma hours but not BigPharma benefits. And not necessarily BigPharma pay, either. Most temps I know are all trying to convert to BigPharma employee.

Quotin' dis. It's really bullshit cause it's hard to build institutional knowledge of operating complex multi-million dollar systems because people don't want to spend 5 years at entry-level. It's been especially hard since rent around here has gone through the roof, while wages are flat.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Are there any lab jobs I could get without a degree? Trying to get some experience for a horticulture related lab job while I'm in school for general business stuff right now.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

goodness posted:

Are there any lab jobs I could get without a degree? Trying to get some experience for a horticulture related lab job while I'm in school for general business stuff right now.

Lab dishwasher can be a way to get in, see the inside, and meet people. For me it lead to getting a research project too.

Also, "horticulture" :crossarms: it's weed, isn't it.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
I'm pretty sure my counterpart at work makes more than me at a big pharma company with a GED cause he's amazingly good at selling himself and understanding how to tackle problems.

As far as the labware washing and maintenance staff, I watch them like a hawk because if they've got a good mindset and are willing solve problems I can probably make some solid RAs out of em and give them a great resume/salary history to jump off of.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Epitope posted:

Lab dishwasher can be a way to get in, see the inside, and meet people. For me it lead to getting a research project too.

Also, "horticulture" :crossarms: it's weed, isn't it.

Hey, it's legal in a bunch of places now!

Besides if I had gently caress you money, I think it would be hilarious to create GMO marijuana.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Solkanar512 posted:

Hey, it's legal in a bunch of places now!

Besides if I had gently caress you money, I think it would be hilarious to create GMO marijuana.

GMO is the future for a lot of areas, I can easily see it going to marijuana once the bigger companies finally dip their hand in.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Goddamn, with my network, legal transgenic weed would be way better than my current BIG PHARMA job if I didn't have to deal with all the awful blowback from the marijuana industry. Then again with dabbing they seem to have solved that problem so they can get high as gently caress without me.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

At work we're getting our sample retains in order. That room used to be a disaster and would take hours to find a retain. I catalogued and put everything into a spreadsheet with location. Now it's a matter of minutes to find where the retain is located. I'm barely halfway done, but the other day a retain was found in a couple minutes. I can write down the location as row - section - shelf - box and there it is.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I heart bacon posted:

At work we're getting our sample retains in order. That room used to be a disaster and would take hours to find a retain. I catalogued and put everything into a spreadsheet with location. Now it's a matter of minutes to find where the retain is located. I'm barely halfway done, but the other day a retain was found in a couple minutes. I can write down the location as row - section - shelf - box and there it is.

That's the dream. I am in an academic lab and finding any samples from previous people is almost impossible. My boss is certain that there's a mg of a absolutely rare natural product in a LCMS vial somewhere in our freezers. My coworker need it and every few months he tries to find it but the notes and labeling of the grad student are awful. The irony is that the grad student was a "star student" that our boss won't stop talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Lt_Tofu posted:

That's the dream. I am in an academic lab and finding any samples from previous people is almost impossible.

Oh god, story of my lab. I recently did an inventory of one of our larger cryo tanks and found an entire rack with four completely full boxes of unreadable, some unlabeled, vials.

Or one of our upright freezers that we nicknamed "the permafrost" since the top two shelves are literally completely full of frost/ice that has accumulated probably since we bought the drat thing, since nobody has defrosted it or checked either compressor. :psyduck:

Or the ~15 boxes of notes from the previous lab manager, all just stuffed away on shelves above our spectrometer.

Repeat ad infinitum...