Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I feel like PQ made all the higher-end offensive magic cost a huge amount to balance the sub-Persona regeneration, but what it actually means is that you can only cast those spells once a battle, if that, unless you get lucky and can stay in boost. The damage they deal is simply not enough for the kind of attack you use once a battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I remembered one of the core philosophy of EO is making you feel like you're always missing a part when you make a party. PQ screws with that and make it so you only need Naoto.

AND THEY SAID MY TRUE LOVE WAS KOROMARU

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
PQ taught us that Persona 4 is good as a dating sim, a fighting game, and a rhythm game but not as an RPG

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

MotU posted:

PQ taught us that Persona 4 is good as a dating sim, a fighting game, and a rhythm game but not as an RPG

It's also good as an origami crane simulator.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The sub-persona system is actually not a bad idea at all. It needs to be rebalanced a bit but the idea of giving players a partial regenerating MP pool is a good one because it allows for more flexibility in combat than just "save as much MP as possible." Like I know people like to act like PQ poo poo on their bed or whatever but it honestly had a lot of good ideas and at worst needed another balance pass or two. (And that applies to the Persona series as a whole honestly, P3 and P4, especially Fes/Portable and Golden, are absurdly easy.)

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
persona q's combat mechanics are decent if unbalanced

persona q's dungeons are the goddamn worst holy poo poo

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The second and third dungeons are good and I liked the story a lot

The game play is hot garbage, sure

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The music was pretty good

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The story and new characters were bad

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

alcharagia posted:

persona q's combat mechanics are decent if unbalanced

persona q's dungeons are the goddamn worst holy poo poo

Eh. PQ's dungeons wouldn't even be the shittest dungeons in the SMT series. It wouldn't even be the shittest dungeons in a SMT-themed dungeon crawler released for a Nintendo handheld system. (I'd say Strange Journey has worse ones for example.)

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The worst thing about Persona Q is that I was a fan of Etrian Odyssey and Persona and wanted to convince some of my friends who never played Etrian Odyssey to try the series out, so the blend of Etrian Odyssey and Persona seemed like a great entrypoint into the series for them.

They never did play any Etrian Odyssey games after playing Persona Q and they don't believe me when I say they're much, much, much better games than Persona Q is.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
too many puzzles, I just want to walk around a dungeon, man.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

voltcatfish posted:

The second and third dungeons are good and I liked the story a lot

i'm going to argue that point on the second dungeon, also the fourth dungeon is so awful that even though the third dungeon is in fact good it is counterbalanced enough for q's dungeons to still be "the goddamn worst." also the story is really bad and the worst part of the game.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Story wise I remember being irritated with the thing where a lot of the characters are at their most one note and stupid (Chie loves meat, haha, well that's pretty much it). But to be fair that's common to all the spinoff stuff. I didn't finish so I can't speak to where the Rei and Zen plot went, maybe it was ok?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Rei and Zen plot was very rote until you got to the twist and it was compelling for a minute and then Rei attempts to claw her own eyes out and it begins to start reaching too much as she gets kidnapped by one of Alistair Smythe's Spider Slayers

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
implying that wasn't the best part

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It wasn't when an 11 floor dungeon followed it with the battle music still unchanged

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I really like the twist. The story itself isn't great though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The game has genuinely great character moments though like Yukiko no selling an entire horror themed dungeon as everyone else loses their loving minds and the entire Marriage Quiz.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzAScczx_oo&t=60s

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

Eh. PQ's dungeons wouldn't even be the shittest dungeons in the SMT series. It wouldn't even be the shittest dungeons in a SMT-themed dungeon crawler released for a Nintendo handheld system. (I'd say Strange Journey has worse ones for example.)

Sectors E-H really are basically exercises in frustration.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

Baal posted:

The Rei and Zen plot was very rote until you got to the twist and it was compelling for a minute and then Rei attempts to claw her own eyes out and it begins to start reaching too much as she gets kidnapped by one of Alistair Smythe's Spider Slayers

Is it bad that I started laughing every time it got to the "And then she tried to claw out her own eyes" part?

Because that -- with no lead-in, just "incidentally she tried to mutilate herself" on top of all the hard-sell pathos -- is inexplicably funny to me. I just couldn't take it seriously.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You're either gonna laugh or stare at your screen in bewilderment, it just happens.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

TWIST FIST posted:

we here at atlus have heard your requests to allow characters other than the protagonist to switch personas, and well, we have decided to follow these suggestions. every character except the protagonist will be able to switch personas

Sadly, this will be impossible, because the P5 MC is Joker.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Making him the Wild Card

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I actually liked the fact that Naoto could just auto-kill everything, because it made the dungeons bearable. If I actually had to deal with killing enemies normally (which would take forever and be SP inefficient because of the weakness of damage spells), I'd probably have been more annoyed at the puzzles. I mean, I'm a crazy person who didn't even mind the fourth dungeon, but I can definitely see how it'd make me want to kill myself if battles were any difficult.

I do think the Sub-Persona system was great, even if PQ itself didn't use it all that well. If I were Atlus I'd be taking a long look at it for inspiration.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

No Mods No Masters posted:

Story wise I remember being irritated with the thing where a lot of the characters are at their most one note and stupid (Chie loves meat, haha, well that's pretty much it). But to be fair that's common to all the spinoff stuff. I didn't finish so I can't speak to where the Rei and Zen plot went, maybe it was ok?

actually, p4dan is well written

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
The P3 version of the battle theme carried me through PQ. It was just so goddamn good

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Terper posted:

Making him the Wild Card

Or a serial killing monster.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Baal posted:

xen is like the only new character added in the spinoffs that asked for help with his problems instead of flipping out and becoming a boss fight. marie, labrys, and rei have a lot of similarities as far as the basic arc of their plot goes (I never played ultimax so idk about the red hair guy from that). he's very dull otherwise, but I do appreciate that he actually owns up to his mistakes and asks his friends for help

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sho was pretty much an active antagonist

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
i forgot that persona Q basically made yukiko Really Really Good and Aigis Wow Even Better

so good on you Persona Q, for doing the impossible and making yuki"skroonkmy tofusnrrrrrrk"ko enjoyable

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

yukiko has always been good

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Davincie posted:

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

Davincie posted:

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

I just hope the P5 girls either
A) can cook
or
B)can't cook, but are aware that they can't.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Davincie posted:

This. She trolls the guys in vanilla P4 already, but just by selectively ignoring them and playing dumb. PQ Yukiko was pretty good, though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Kay Kessler posted:

I just hope the P5 girls either
A) can cook
or
B)can't cook, but are aware that they can't.

Well, Haru's dad works in food service, so. Maybe something rubbed off.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Waffleman what is your av from I liked the mang version and I like the anim version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

My Hero Academia!