Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
In box office news: Captain America: Civil War's second weekend brought it up to $940 million making it the 6th highest super-hero movie of all time globally and bringing the MCU's total BO to $10 billion.

Guy A. Person posted:

I honestly might be more excited for Incredibles 2 than almost any other in productions super hero movie

Only 3 years 1 month 6 days to go!

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
My favorite Fantastic Four were in Planetary
too bad adapting that series into anything on screen would probably be impossible

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

TheFallenEvincar posted:

My favorite Fantastic Four were in Planetary
too bad adapting that series into anything on screen would probably be impossible

Yeah sadly as fantastic as Planetary is there's no way it can ever be adopted into film. Fantastic book though, I love the little nods to established characters. The Batman crossover was great, the team meets all the various incarnations of him

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
FF should be 50's scifi meets Cronenberg. So the Fly basically. Hell, the Fly is basically Reed Richards turning into a fly instead of a stretchy man.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Even as someone for whom Cronenberg is one of my favorite directors, I really struggle to see why that is the take some people are convinced is right for FF

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I want the tone of a FF movie to basically be the tone of the cartoon Batman: The Brave and the Bold. Big, brash, fun, goofy, weird, and charming. Good sense of humor about itself, but still tells a good story.

I always loved Peyton Reed's idea of a 1960s-set Fantastic Four movie with a similar style to his Down with Love. Now that he's done Ant-Man he's shown he has the chops.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Even as someone for whom Cronenberg is one of my favorite directors, I really struggle to see why that is the take some people are convinced is right for FF

Because Reed Richards is a diiiick.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I admit, I want Mark Waid's Reed Richards more than I want Stan Lee's and the member of the Illuminati.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Fox owns x-men and Fantastic 4. Why don't they just adapt that story where Reed beats Magneto with a wooden gun. I'd go see that in the theaters.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I am looking forward to seeing the trailers for Justice League, skipping the movie, and watching everyone's befuddled reactions until they all forget it exists two weeks later.

But Justice League is a Zack Snyder movie. Much like Man of Steel and BvS, everyone will probably still be talking about them for years after their release. Or was that :thejoke:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

teagone posted:

But Justice League is a Zack Snyder movie. Much like Man of Steel and BvS, everyone will probably still be talking about them for years after their release. Or was that :thejoke:

here they will. in the real world, I'm not actually sure i know a single person that even saw Batman v Superman.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

here they will. in the real world, I'm not actually sure i know a single person that even saw Batman v Superman.

I only know like two people IRL who saw either movie. Many more of them saw Frozen.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
This movie is so forgotten, it's so forgotten that I'm talking about it without even seeing it, and only people who talk about movies will talk about it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

This movie is so forgotten, it's so forgotten that I'm talking about it without even seeing it, and only people who talk about movies will talk about it.

*nods sagely*

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

*scoff* I don't know anyone who saw this $870 million dollar movie, what a bomb.

e: boxofficemojo is in the pocket of Big DC

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

McSpanky posted:

*scoff* I don't know anyone who saw this $850 million dollar movie, what a bomb.

this but unironically

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
it's not like I'm surrounded by people in the real world who are talking about the Marvel movies anymore frequently though
that'd be annoying

it's just like "You see Civil War?" "Yeah, my SO dragged my rear end to it"
or "Did you see Batman v Superman? What a headache" "Yeah haha I was high as gently caress."
and that's like the height of it because we're not going to start jabbering about Black Panther for like ten minutes or something

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Like if we're going to spend more than a couple minutes talking about a movie we recently saw it might be Green Room or The Witch or something, not friggin Deadpool

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Like if we're going to spend more than a couple minutes talking about a movie we recently saw it might be Green Room or The Witch or something, not friggin Deadpool

Pretty much.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Interestingly enough, Deadpool is my third favorite movie of the year, behind Green Room and The VVitch

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

So what is the other movie you saw this year?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

So what is the other movie you saw this year?

Hail Caesar! actually. Don't tell my movie nerd friends that I thought Deadpool was better.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Hail Caesar! actually. Don't tell my movie nerd friends that I thought Deadpool was better.

We got you now motherfucker.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Hail, Caesar! was pretty great but I won't lie about being a little disappointed it wasn't the Burn After Reading style caper clusterfuck it was being sold as

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

mr. stefan posted:

Hail, Caesar! was pretty great but I won't lie about being a little disappointed it wasn't the Burn After Reading style caper clusterfuck it was being sold as

It's very good but it's hard to argue it's anything but B-tier Coens.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

TheFallenEvincar posted:

It depends a lot on your age and the type of people you know. I know plenty of people with kids, so a lot more people will have seen The Jungle Book than any of the movies you mentioned. These people, coincidentally, have already or are going to see Deadpool because they rely on word of mouth, particularly once things hit video where they see most of their movies. It felt like every adult I knew was talking about Deadpool when it came out, I haven't heard a peep about BvS or Civil War.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Bravo team we have the target surrounded, breach the perimeter now

Go go go go go go go

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It's very good but it's hard to argue it's anything but B-tier Coens.

Which is still god-tier to most everything else.

Actually, Burn After Reading is their most disappointing for me (as writer/directors).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
In my dreams, the Coen Brothers make a Foucault's Pendulum movie.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

It was a bad movie, the 4 stylization in the title is dumb, and I felt like attempting cleverness. :smith:

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Interestingly enough, Deadpool is my third favorite movie of the year, behind Green Room and The VVitch

Deadpool was alright but it's only my third favorite superhero movie of the year.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sir Kodiak posted:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Punisher: War Zone
These are alright. Definitely better than Fantastic Four.

Okay I actually went out and tracked down a copy of this after listening to that podcast about it the other day and it's definitely a LOT better than I remembered. Jigsaw and Loony Bin Jim are awesome villains, the pace is (mostly) great, there's some really good action sequences (including the finale where Frank works his way up an abandoned hotel which is full of just about every gang in the city), there's some great cinematography and colour work and editing in parts, they really don't hold back on the violence or the gore, there's a bunch of really dark humour spread throughout it and it sure as hell doesn't take itself too seriously.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp9OkXHXas4

The bad: the front half drags a bit, the plot point where the Feds make a deal with Jigsaw didn't quite ring true to the film's interior logic, the score wasn't great and the side plot with the dead Fed agent's family either needed to be punched up or pulled back. My main problem (and I guess a major factor in the general audience's reaction to the film) was the I just didn't buy Ray Stevenson as The Punisher. He just looked and emoted way too much like a slightly annoyed middleaged Dad rather than a guy who'd been obsessively hunting down and murdering gangsters for five years.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Johnathan Hickman writes a really amazing Reed Richards. If anything just hire Hickman to do the screenplay and it'd probably be good.

They need to not have them be young but old and with kids because Franklin and Valerie are pretty amazing.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The correct tone for Fantastic Four is fun Interstellar.

Early Fantastic Four's most popular story is about God trying to eat Earth, our heroes stealing the embodiment of destruction, using mutually-assured destruction to tell God to gently caress off, and then returning the embodiment of destruction to God in order to save the world.

Like if it's it not that level of crazy or more then you're doing it wrong.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Timeless Appeal posted:

The correct tone for Fantastic Four is fun Interstellar.

I feel like the first Fantastic 4 trailer deliberately evoked the first Interstellar trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WzHXI5HizQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-BVs-KCSiA

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Fun Fact: I regularly visit the subway station where Frank's hidden base is located near in War Zone. It's the Lionel Groulx metro station in Montreal. Also, they filmed some scenes in the awesome abandoned building on my old college campus, Britain Hall. Used to sneak in there all the time, it's like a horror movie set.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Phylodox posted:

Fun Fact: I regularly visit the subway station where Frank's hidden base is located near in War Zone. It's the Lionel Groulx metro station in Montreal. Also, they filmed some scenes in the awesome abandoned building on my old college campus, Britain Hall. Used to sneak in there all the time, it's like a horror movie set.

Hahaha, I used to work in that area. I need to watch that movie now.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Okay I actually went out and tracked down a copy of this after listening to that podcast about it the other day and it's definitely a LOT better than I remembered.

I definitely owe the movie a rewatch because, yeah, the podcast is great and I haven't watched the movie since then. I mainly remember the stuff you praised, that the action kicks rear end, and the lead villains are a lot of fun.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

I feel like the first Fantastic 4 trailer deliberately evoked the first Interstellar trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WzHXI5HizQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-BVs-KCSiA
Oh totally. But Interstellar is a fun romp by comparison to the lifeless Fantastic 4.

I think a good modern Fantastic Four movie should really move a lot of the recent stuff that Hickman did in his recent runs to the foreground. Like the recent reboot sort of had, Hickman's run has the same call to action to start dreaming again that Interstellar and Tomorrowland have. Start with Reed as this brilliant scientist in his mid-thirties who runs the Future Foundation in the Baxter Building. Have the stuff of the recent comics run be about him trying to fix everything through science. Have the bad guy be Kang the Conquerer and have a big cosmic adventure through time and space. Have Kang essentially mirror Reed at his most extreme and use it to teach Reed that his pursuits are nothing without his family to anchor him. Maybe even have the climax of the film being Kang offering Reed some ultimate knowledge or allowing Reed to work with him, but Reed turning it down. Hell even have Kang be an alternate universe Reede whose Sue, Johnny, and Ben died during the experiment.

Either way, they should make it about Kang and it should have both space travel, time travel, and parallel universes. Like at minimum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I really, really hope Fant4stic gets the Richard Donner Cut treatment some day.

• Locked thread