Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

I have some paranoia getting a laptop that is only 8gb compatible when the one I had had 16 installed. What about the other series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

anothergod posted:

How did you get that price quote? My laptop is pretty nice still but needs some upkeep on its fan and the case is cracked. I'd love to just drop a couple hundred to fix it....
I took my laptop to a pretty reputable 3rd party repair store.

Mine is also cracked as poo poo. The hinge is all loose too.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

anothergod posted:

I have some paranoia getting a laptop that is only 8gb compatible when the one I had had 16 installed. What about the other series?

You can buy a 16GB SO-DIMM (albeit they cost $150) and you can run 16GB in an X250 with just one chip

8GB chips are only like $39/each

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

anothergod posted:

X series (except sorta the X1s), T series, W/P series are user upgradable. Make sure to get the ips screen option.

Note: A T460 is probably about as portable as a X230, as thinkpads have gotten thinner and lighter.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I paid $29 shipped (2 day shipping, even) to put 2x 4GB SODIMM yesterday in my mom's computer, RAM is pretty cheap these days.

Also here is a $149 shipped T420 (probably with a garbage screen but whatevs, $150 i5 laptop) on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thin...tkAAOSw3mpXM3sX

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Should I be looking at the base 460? There's also the s and another one that I don't know if I should care too much about them.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

anothergod posted:

Should I be looking at the base 460? There's also the s and another one that I don't know if I should care too much about them.

Just make sure you get an IPS screen

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The 460s is lighter and thinner than the other models. It's almost as thin as the X1 carbon iirc.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The 460s only has the 6 cell battery and you cannot get a bigger one. It only lasts 7 hours. The T460 gives you the option for the extended battery.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

The 460s is lighter and thinner than the other models. It's almost as thin as the X1 carbon iirc.

It's the most pointless model in the entire Thinkpad lineup.

P-series: because mobile workstations are a thing that exists
T460: sufficiently capable durable laptop for most users
T560: bigger T460 for people who like big things
T460p: T460 with better processor and screen for when the P-series are overkill I guess
X1 Carbon: ~ultrabook~
X1 Yoga: ~ultrabook~ that folds
X260: it's really small but more powerful than a chomebook

T460s: uh i guess the *s model has to be thinner so we made it even thinner than we made the t460, no wait, it's basically an x1 carbon with a worse screen now, but the x1 carbon is a premium model so we have to call the entry-tier x1 carbon something else so let's stick with t460s maybe?

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

blowfish posted:

This is an understatement.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie
I'm gonna be needing a laptop very soon. Please advise

Will be using for:school, shitposting on the internet while bored at school
Absolutely required: nice keyboard, not MUCH more than $300
Would be awesome: good battery life, light weight
Don't give a HECK about : graphics, gaming ability, webcam, sound

I considered a chromebook but I'm not familiar with chrome OS at all or what kinda compability it has with the standard school programs like MS Word / the standard shitposting programs like discord and decent IRC clients. I don't imagine it has much compatiblity with the former?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Trier posted:

I'm gonna be needing a laptop very soon. Please advise

Will be using for:school, shitposting on the internet while bored at school
Absolutely required: nice keyboard, not MUCH more than $300
Would be awesome: good battery life, light weight
Don't give a HECK about : graphics, gaming ability, webcam, sound

I considered a chromebook but I'm not familiar with chrome OS at all or what kinda compability it has with the standard school programs like MS Word / the standard shitposting programs like discord and decent IRC clients. I don't imagine it has much compatiblity with the former?

get this + a ssd

Hadlock posted:

I paid $29 shipped (2 day shipping, even) to put 2x 4GB SODIMM yesterday in my mom's computer, RAM is pretty cheap these days.

Also here is a $149 shipped T420 (probably with a garbage screen but whatevs, $150 i5 laptop) on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thin...tkAAOSw3mpXM3sX

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie

The Iron Rose posted:

get this + a ssd

Doesn't ship to my country, but buying used isn't a bad idea.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Check used Latitude E6320/6330/6340 models too, they also have good build quality and similar specs and pricing to the T/X series from the same timeframe.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Eletriarnation posted:

Check used Latitude E6320/6330/6340 models too, they also have good build quality and similar specs and pricing to the T/X series from the same timeframe.

For real. The 6400 series are good too.

I snagged a 6430 with 8gb RAM and 128gb Samsung 830 SSD from DellRefurbished for like $270 during a 50% off sale. It's absolutely perfect.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

blowfish posted:

It's the most pointless model in the entire Thinkpad lineup.

P-series: because mobile workstations are a thing that exists
T460: sufficiently capable durable laptop for most users
T560: bigger T460 for people who like big things
T460p: T460 with better processor and screen for when the P-series are overkill I guess
X1 Carbon: ~ultrabook~
X1 Yoga: ~ultrabook~ that folds

T460s: uh i guess the *s model has to be thinner so we made it even thinner than we made the t460, no wait, it's basically an x1 carbon with a worse screen now, but the x1 carbon is a premium model so we have to call the entry-tier x1 carbon something else so let's stick with t460s maybe?

You forgot the other ThinkPadTM models.

ThinkPad L460: Our Most Green Business PCs
ThinkPad 13: ESSENTIAL 13.3" ULTRABOOK™ FOR BUSINESS.
ThinkPad 11e: ULTRA-RUGGED LAPTOP BUILT FOR LESS WORRY

All of these pack the legendary IBM 联想集团有限公司 endurance brand value that you've come to respect.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

After all these years the website for buying Thinkpads is still as lovely as when IBM sold it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The Thinkpad 11e is the great grandson of the x120, watch your mouth, know your place, son.

Make no mistake, the educational market Thinkpads are amazing machines for the price.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

The Iron Rose posted:

Put another way, the 960m is certainly sufficient to play most games released today (excluding stuff like assassin's creed which it can only play at sub 10 FPS). You might have to turn down the resolution, or play on low settings at 30 FPS (The Witcher 3, Dragon Age Inquisition, Fallout 4, and so on), but you'll be able to play them.

However, if you want a laptop that will last 3-4 years, you're better off saving up a bit more and getting a 970m.

Another point to consider however, is that there are likely going to be new mobile cards releasing in December 2016 with Nvidia's new Pascal GPU architecture, which should show significant performance increases. Looking at the release of the desktop 1070 and 1080, they either double or exceed double the performance of the desktop 970 and 980 respectively while further reducing the thermal envelope. Next year should be very promising for laptop gaming, since the 14nm process has resulted in significantly cooler and more powerful GPUs relative to Maxwell (900 series GPUs and dGPUs).

Therefore if you can't wait, it's not a terrible to get a cheaper gaming laptop, like this Dell Inspiron with a 960m for $800. Enjoy the $350 or so you've saved, and upgrade in a year or two when prices have come down. Certainly it's going to be cheaper than getting the lenovo ideapad, and lord knows the build quality of the Dell, however bad, can't possibly be worse than the Y700/Y50's.

I don't think my girlfriend is super into AAA games but it would be unfortunate if we couldn't get that for her as an option.

However, she doesn't really want to go through the hassle of getting a cheaper laptop now and replacing it when the new architecture is available...and a desktop's immobility makes them not a good option for her, would the Lenovo y700 be a good option then? She also doesn't care to go for the extra 2 to 3 hundred price increase for a 970m as well.

I had a friend also suggest the ASUS ROGs and the Dell XPSs for similar requirements. What is generally the differences between the three types?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Artificer posted:

I don't think my girlfriend is super into AAA games but it would be unfortunate if we couldn't get that for her as an option.

However, she doesn't really want to go through the hassle of getting a cheaper laptop now and replacing it when the new architecture is available...and a desktop's immobility makes them not a good option for her, would the Lenovo y700 be a good option then? She also doesn't care to go for the extra 2 to 3 hundred price increase for a 970m as well.

I had a friend also suggest the ASUS ROGs and the Dell XPSs for similar requirements. What is generally the differences between the three types?

The Dell XPS 15 with a 960m clocks in at something like 2 grand, so that's probably not an option.

Other than that there's no real difference between gaming machine brands unless you're buying a razer blade or something. Just look at the machine's specs and make your decision based off of those and the price.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

ItBurns posted:

You forgot the other ThinkPadTM models.

ThinkPad L460: Our Most Green Business PCs
ThinkPad 13: ESSENTIAL 13.3" ULTRABOOK™ FOR BUSINESS.
ThinkPad 11e: ULTRA-RUGGED LAPTOP BUILT FOR LESS WORRY

All of these pack the legendary IBM 联想集团有限公司 endurance brand value that you've come to respect.

Those are all not Real ThinkpadsTM :smug: so I didn't include them but here we go:

L460: cheaper t460 that is somehow substantially less bad compared to an equally-cheap consumer craptop (it's actually an ok laptop to buy imo)
11e: because there must be a cheap thinkpad for college students for marketing reasons
13: the sales must grow :smaug:, so take a chomebook, put the thinkpad logo on it, and stop complaining about diluting the brand

Still not as pointless as the T460s.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 14, 2016

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Hadlock posted:

The Thinkpad 11e is the great grandson of the x120, watch your mouth, know your place, son.

Make no mistake, the educational market Thinkpads are amazing machines for the price.

I had an x120e and I loved that thing to death. I played LoL on it at like 10fps.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

After all these years the website for buying Thinkpads is still as lovely as when IBM sold it.

its me i am the 60 javascript resources needed for the page to function properly

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

The Iron Rose posted:

The Dell XPS 15 with a 960m clocks in at something like 2 grand, so that's probably not an option.

Other than that there's no real difference between gaming machine brands unless you're buying a razer blade or something. Just look at the machine's specs and make your decision based off of those and the price.

Much obliged.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

The Iron Rose posted:

For what it's worth, you can pick up a factory refurbished XPS 15 with a quad-core i5 for right around $1k on eBay, generally with either nearly the full balance of the standard warranty or the extended two-year Dell warranty. I'm pretty sure the i5-optioned XPS 15s still come with a 960m, so it might be an option to consider. My experience with Dell factory refurbs is that they are literally just new laptops that happen to cost a lot less.

garbage horse
Jul 31, 2015

lovin it
In the market for a laptop to sort of replace a desktop. After looking around at the new DELL XPS offerings and current Lenovo stuff, I've come to the T460p. Anyone have one, or experience with them?

Thinking of this loadout:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6440HQ MB
Screen config: 14.0 WQHD(2560 x 1440) IPS Non-Touch
Memory: 16GB DDR4-2133MHz SODIMM
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 940MX 2GB

The rest of the configuration is just the standard on the Lenovo site, and comes in at $1,196.10. Am I kneecapping the thing by not getting the i7? Should I just get the regular T460? Not planning on doing a huge amount of gaming - mostly browsing, music, some Photoshop, and audio and video recording.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is it possible to install other OSes (Windows,CentOS) or boot from a USB Drive with a Chromebook? If so, what functionality is lost?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

garbage horse posted:

In the market for a laptop to sort of replace a desktop. After looking around at the new DELL XPS offerings and current Lenovo stuff, I've come to the T460p. Anyone have one, or experience with them?

Thinking of this loadout:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6440HQ MB
Screen config: 14.0 WQHD(2560 x 1440) IPS Non-Touch
Memory: 16GB DDR4-2133MHz SODIMM
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 940MX 2GB

The rest of the configuration is just the standard on the Lenovo site, and comes in at $1,196.10. Am I kneecapping the thing by not getting the i7? Should I just get the regular T460? Not planning on doing a huge amount of gaming - mostly browsing, music, some Photoshop, and audio and video recording.

1) Make sure to buy an SSD. The best bang for your buck is probably to buy a 500GB 850 EVO and install it yourself (reasonably easy in Thinkpads).
1b) While you're at it, check whether it's cheaper to also install RAM yourself instead of buying overpriced Lenovo RAM.
2) Photoshop, audio and video stuff will benefit from a good processor, so don't go back to the T460 with its low power dual core processor. Stepping up to the i7 may or may not be worth it depending on how rich you are and whether "occasionally" means "more than once every other week, and I care about it being maybe 1/4 faster". If in doubt, the SSD is more important for a daily use computer than a slightly better processor.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Could anyone recommend a good quality 13-14" laptop costing around AUD$1500 for me?

I was looking at Dells but the problem seemed to be that to get a decent screen resolution (i.e. 1920x1080) you had to get a high end model that cost a lot.

The Inspiron 13 7000 Series (AUD$1499) ticks the right boxes but it is a 2-in-1 which I'd prefer not to get for something that will only ever be used as a laptop.

The XPS 13 is a little expensive (AUD$1799) and only comes with 4GB RAM / 128GB SSD in that config.

Edit: does anyone have an opinion on the Lenovo E series? E460 is surprisingly cheap (AUD$1199) at the downside of being a bit heavy.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 08:30 on May 16, 2016

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I'm looking to pick up a laptop mostly for productivity purposes (I'm gonna try to get a couple/few IT certs, it's useful for studying/note-taking/browsing). I really don't want anything fancy at all, mostly just a tablet with a decent keyboard attached. Is the ASUS C300MA a good way to go? Is there something better at that price point (or close to it)?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

Is it possible to install other OSes (Windows,CentOS) or boot from a USB Drive with a Chromebook? If so, what functionality is lost?

You could on an Acer C720 but you couldn't do it on the newer Chromebooks as far as I know. There are BIOS issues. It's basically just a cheap laptop and I ran regular Ubuntu 12.04 on mine with no problems. Bought a returned one at Walmart for like $120 and it was better than any other used laptop I could find.

Keyboard and screen left a little bit to be desired and the SSD was kind of small but it was okay for basic stuff.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Chrome_OS_devices/Chromebook

garbage horse
Jul 31, 2015

lovin it

blowfish posted:

1) Make sure to buy an SSD. The best bang for your buck is probably to buy a 500GB 850 EVO and install it yourself (reasonably easy in Thinkpads).
1b) While you're at it, check whether it's cheaper to also install RAM yourself instead of buying overpriced Lenovo RAM.
2) Photoshop, audio and video stuff will benefit from a good processor, so don't go back to the T460 with its low power dual core processor. Stepping up to the i7 may or may not be worth it depending on how rich you are and whether "occasionally" means "more than once every other week, and I care about it being maybe 1/4 faster". If in doubt, the SSD is more important for a daily use computer than a slightly better processor.

Hey thanks for the input. I did these things.

I'm getting like a 2 week turn time on getting the thing delivered though. Is that normal for Lenovo? The product hasn't shipped yet, so I'm kind of thinking the tracking info is just showing an non-adjusted time.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The last time I ordered a Thinkpad I'm pretty sure it arrived in Alaska, went back to China, and came back to Alaska again before arriving in California.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The last thinkpad I ordered went through about a dozen countries, most of which I could not place on a map.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

garbage horse posted:

Hey thanks for the input. I did these things.

I'm getting like a 2 week turn time on getting the thing delivered though. Is that normal for Lenovo? The product hasn't shipped yet, so I'm kind of thinking the tracking info is just showing an non-adjusted time.

If you change the specs, Lenovo have to specially assemble your computer before shipping.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Laptop Megathread: There is still no good reason not to buy a thinkpad

T420 checking in here.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

The last time I ordered a Thinkpad I'm pretty sure it arrived in Alaska, went back to China, and came back to Alaska again before arriving in California.

A polar bear ended up with mine, I had to go up and take it from him.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Thanatosian posted:

I'm looking to pick up a laptop mostly for productivity purposes (I'm gonna try to get a couple/few IT certs, it's useful for studying/note-taking/browsing). I really don't want anything fancy at all, mostly just a tablet with a decent keyboard attached. Is the ASUS C300MA a good way to go? Is there something better at that price point (or close to it)?
No love? Or is it just that no one has actually bought one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

So when I was looking at lenovos I saw that the t460p had a quadcore i5 in it for less than the cost of the x260 and its dual core i5s. I bought it.

Still looking at the old lappie smelling like green chartreuse. Ugh