Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

HMS Boromir posted:

I'm glad you decided to immediately illustrate my point. "Higher than 30 is better but not necessary for my enjoyment" is a perfectly fine viewpoint to have. It's also in no way the opposite viewpoint to "every game should aim for 60 FPS" at all, indeed it's even closer to it than a lot of people who don't think higher than 30 is better at all, or at least claim not to. You just place less of a priority on high FPS than other people. But since this has turned into a subject of debate for some reason, you immediately jump into a weird defensive argument as if there's some fundamental difference of opinion here and if I get my way there's someone out there who won't get theirs.

The only debate that can actually exist and makes any sense is high framerate vs higher fidelity visuals, and that's almost never what happens.
It's the air of self-righteousness that comes with saying you cannot understand how people could possibly feel otherwise that makes you sound like a jerk. It's an eye-rolling crappy way to defeat a counterargument nobody put forward in the first place.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

CJacobs posted:

It's the air of self-righteousness that comes with saying you cannot understand how people could possibly feel otherwise that makes you sound like a jerk.

Do you actually feel that there's a reasonable position other than "high framerates are good" and "I don't care" or are you just really upset about the way I phrased that post

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CJacobs posted:

It's the air of self-righteousness that comes with saying you cannot understand how people could possibly feel otherwise that makes you sound like a jerk. It's an eye-rolling crappy way to defeat a counterargument nobody put forward in the first place.

What are you even arguing?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Andrast posted:

What are you even arguing?
I don't like posts that are "here's the best position to have (it's the one I have) anyway see ya", and that's probably not an issue many people share.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

single player games at stable 30 are fine for me. mp games need to be higher imo. i don't really notice unless there is choppiness but i want more input recording frames per second if i'm up against another human

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

CJacobs posted:

I don't like posts that are "here's the best position to have (it's the one I have) anyway see ya", and that's probably not an issue many people share.

Ah. Apologies. In the future I'll make sure to specify whenever I make a post that I allow and indeed expect people to reply to it if they disagree with it, so tremendous idiots such as yourself don't get confused

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Motto posted:

why would a persona game need beefy hardware

for all the beef bowls

HMS Boromir posted:

FPS is such a weird thing. With the exception of people who honest to goodness can't tell the difference (they apparently exist) I can't imagine who would take a look at 60 FPS and not think every game should be at 60 FPS (or more) if at all possible. But since the first person that comes to mind when you think of 60 FPS is Total loving Biscuit it's become some kind of thing where you take sides on the great 60 FPS Debate as if it isn't just a given that high framerates are good.

because if ur playing a game that doesnt rely on extremely accurate input (twitch MP FPS, fighting games), it doesnt matter and the vast majority of peopel would rather have 30fps with nicer graphics or a higher resolution. the people who say anything less than 60fps is bad are an extreme minority

Andrast posted:

I value 60 FPS pretty highly but I'm fine with consistent 30 FPS (which is why I have an expensive PC). The problem is that games often don't even hit that on consoles these days

this is the frist gen where a solid 30fps+ framerate for nearly every game is a reasonable expectation. also theh neo and psvr have specific framerate targets thaht they will have to meet or will not be able to release. you're talking nonsense.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

HMS Boromir posted:

Ah. Apologies. In the future I'll make sure to specify whenever I make a post that I allow and indeed expect people to reply to it if they disagree with it, so tremendous idiots such as yourself don't get confused

tfw u just confirmed what they were saying lmao

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

in most games i would rather nicer graphics, higher res, more AA etc at a solid 30 than turning that stuff down for 60. if its an online game with a significant element of serious competition give me 60 for reduced input lag and less dropped inputs. otherwise i'll take 30 and candy thanks.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I like what Nioh did and lets you choose, personally I would like to play games at 60 if given the option.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

X's turn based combat system was a lot more approachable than X-2 modified ATB and was probably the better for it. I never could get into X-2's system.

Side question: I liked Saints Row 4 and Just Cause 2 and just generally running around and fulfilling open world objective and looking for collectibles, would dropping $15 for Prototype 1 and 2 be worth the cash? (Sale link)

the Prototype games own for just running around and getting in knock down, drag out fights with monsters and tanks

I guess they weren't that successful, but I loved them dearly

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

I like what Nioh did and lets you choose, personally I would like to play games at 60 if given the option.

yeah it was cool to let you pick

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

In Training posted:

I was just typing up a post about this actually, since I just remembered Nioh. I didn't play it myself so maybe someone can chime in with some opinions on how well it worked but that definitely seems like a cool approach for consoles, where graphics settings aren't standard since everyone has the same hardware. I don't expect Ni-Oh is going to get a PC port but if it did, you bet your rear end you'd be able to play it in 60 FPS if you wanted, and then if your computer wasn't good enough to play it in pretty mode 60 FPS you could make the same choice. Meanwhile a console game that's locked at 30 FPS and doesn't get a great port is going to stay locked at 30 FPS.

I don't think anyone would disagree that it's better to have the option and thus better if developers at least make a token effort to optimize for 60 FPS. That's what I meant by that post - it feel like because there's this small brigade of people who think 30 FPS is outright unacceptable and you shouldn't stand for it, there's now pushback against the idea that optimizing for 60 FPS is good because those guys are insufferable. In a different way than I am, before anyone decides to land that zinger.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

HMS Boromir posted:

I was just typing up a post about this actually, since I just remembered Nioh. I didn't play it myself so maybe someone can chime in with some opinions on how well it worked but that definitely seems like a cool approach for consoles, where graphics settings aren't standard since everyone has the same hardware. I don't expect Ni-Oh is going to get a PC port but if it did, you bet your rear end you'd be able to play it in 60 FPS if you wanted, and then if your computer wasn't good enough to play it in pretty mode 60 FPS you could make the same choice. Meanwhile a console game that's locked at 30 FPS and doesn't get a great port is going to stay locked at 30 FPS.

I don't think anyone would disagree that it's better to have the option and thus better if developers at least make a token effort to optimize for 60 FPS. That's what I meant by that post - it feel like because there's this small brigade of people who think 30 FPS is outright unacceptable and you shouldn't stand for it, there's now pushback against the idea that optimizing for 60 FPS is good because those guys are insufferable. In a different way than I am, before anyone decides to land that zinger.

its because optimising for 60fps sacrifices image quality and most people for the majority of gamews would ratherh they look nice and run at a solid 30 if they have to pick. its not in any way a complex or difficult situuation and the fact u felt u needed clarification on why anayone would feel that way shows that ur extremely dumb bad and an idiot fail.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

games looking smooth is cool as heck

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
love those buttery frames

It'll be interesting to see if VR takes off and actual worthwhile games start having VR versions and being forced to optimize for 90+ fps. Or at least 60, I think I recall PSVR targeting 60? The Puke Factor also makes it so they can't afford to drop frames so maybe we'll get a golden age of high minimum FPS

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 15, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Motto posted:

games looking smooth is cool as heck

Yeah. I dont really care about visual fidelity if I can play at a high framerate.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I like 60fps

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

HMS Boromir posted:

love those buttery frames

It'll be interesting to see if VR takes off and actual worthwhile games start having VR versions and being forced to optimize for 90+ fps. Or at least 60, I think I recall PSVR targeting 60? The Puke Factor also makes it so they can't afford to drop frames so maybe we'll get a golden age of high minimum FPS

i hope not. i hope all games are locked at 30 forever instead of wasting fraems that should be used on sick particle effects and lighting and reoslution,. 60fps is poo poo and bad. its pointless. only hte biggest ididot nerds enjoy it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

games that erare allowed 60fps: call of dutyt nad street fighter. all other games: 30fps with the best grpahics aavilaable.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Stux posted:

i hope not. i hope all games are locked at 30 forever instead of wasting fraems that should be used on sick particle effects and lighting and reoslution,. 60fps is poo poo and bad. its pointless. only hte biggest ididot nerds enjoy it.

Well that seems like an extreme position to take, Stux.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Lock stux's posts at 30fps

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

codenameFANGIO posted:

Well that seems like an extreme position to take, Stux.

im sickj of these SJWs (Sixty Justice Warriros) runing games fo rus MRAs (Maximum Res and Anti-aialising)

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
finally a gamergate worth caring about

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Stux posted:

games that erare allowed 60fps: call of dutyt nad street fighter. all other games: 30fps with the best grpahics aavilaable.
Are you shaking as you type this?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yeah but only at 30hz

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

idc about a game lookin good because im not a twitch superstar, gimme the frames

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I want 60fps at all times and maximum graphical fidelity and I'll pay hundreds upon hundreds of dollars to do it. America.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Usually after I play a game a while I stop noticing how pretty the graphics look but 60FPS well you don't stop caring about that

for real some games are fine at 30 though, it depends

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvgB1v3vxio

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
a reddit post about boycotting overwatch to play team fortress 2 to prove that nothing is too trivial

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

yes but it is imperceptible to the human eye much liek the difference between 30 and 60 fps

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Not gonna pitch a fit over 30fps but most games I play aren't graphical showcases anyway so I'd prefer they shoot for 60.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

hubris.height posted:

a reddit post about boycotting overwatch to play team fortress 2 to prove that nothing is too trivial

The Overwatch beta made me go back to TF2, I've been playing a lot of it and it's still fun, at least when your team isn't 80% engineers, spies and snieprs. Hopefully it staves off my desire to spend way more than I should on Overwatch.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
it snowed today, and also, hailed

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

CJacobs posted:

just put Stux on ignore, problem solved

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

hubris.height posted:

why?

HMS Boromir posted:

The Overwatch beta made me go back to TF2, I've been playing a lot of it and it's still fun, at least when your team isn't 80% engineers, spies and snieprs. Hopefully it staves off my desire to spend way more than I should on Overwatch.

both scratch different itches. overwatch is faster, smaller and much more team focused(they both are but overwatch, you NEED a good team) arena shooter. TF2 is alot slower bigger teams and battlefields. idk.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

a lot of people are comparing it to tf2, so it is the new tf2, so what's the point of tf2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
TF2 definitely scratches the same itch for me, just not as well since I've played a thousand hours of it and Overwatch is still novel.

• Locked thread