Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
:pray: please may I have some Dark Necrofear support for my Bakura deck next, mr konami sir. :pray:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Xoidanor posted:

https://ygorganization.com/dp17-dark-sanctuary-reprints/

:psyboom:

Of all the legacy anime support this is by far the strangest to actually see release.

It's pretty good.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dexie posted:

It's pretty good.

It doesn't protect Destiny Board itself unless I'm missing something.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Xoidanor posted:

It doesn't protect Destiny Board itself unless I'm missing something.

The board itself is still open, but the fact that it opens up your backrow means you can use stuff like Dark Bribe to protect it, along with Mirror Force and the Solemns to keep your opponent from just smashing your face in.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Destiny Board + Dark Sanctuary + White Dragon Ninja + Safe Zone.

Complicated to set up, but once you have it set up, then you're going to have an automatic win against most decks.

(There's still ways around it, yes, but most decks are going to have a lot a trouble breaking that field.)

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Also it gets points for having killer art.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
Oh hey wanna know how to make destiny board better? Let's make the pieces attackable.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

Slur posted:

Oh hey wanna know how to make destiny board better? Let's make the pieces attackable.

Dark Sanctuary posted:

Dark Sanctuary
Field Spell Card
(1) If you bring out a “Spirit Message” due to the effect of “Destiny Board”, you can Special Summon that card as a Normal Monster (Fiend-Type/DARK/Level 1/ATK 0/DEF 0). The card Special Summoned by this effect is unaffected by the effects of cards other than “Desiny Board”, and it cannot targeted for an attack. (If you only control monsters who have this card’s effect applied to them, and no other monsters, your opponent can attack you directly.)
(2) When your opponent’s monster declares an attack: You flip 1 coin; if it’s Heads, negate that attack, and if you do, inflict damage to your opponent equal to half of that opponent’s monster’s ATK.

RTFC.

It's funny to think of this as a continuous Magic Cylinder.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

That was my first idea actually, pretend that your win condition is Destiny Board when really it is Dark Sanctuary setting you up for a devastating Magic Cylinder. :getin:

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Now they just need to make that Aussie dude's robot suit cards

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

The Armor monsters.

People have been asking for those for years. :sigh:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I remember Psychic Armor head being real fun that short time it was available on KCVDS so yeah. :sigh:

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

A lot of great Yu-Gi-Oh characters get killed off. Like Pegasus. :smith:

I think you're talking about Sacred Cards, in which he's a lategame member of the Ghouls. At the end of the game, you have the option to talk him and tell him to get lost or remind him that he's not just a puppet. If you choose the latter, he'll stick around to duel you.

He also gets brought back as a reanimated corpse in Yugioh R, apparently.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Level Seven posted:

RTFC.

It's funny to think of this as a continuous Magic Cylinder.

I got no sleep last night. It's showing in my posts.

Edit: Realized Destiny Board is still susceptible to twin twister. Well, at least Dark Sanctuary is a nice substitute for Fairy Box.

Slur fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 16, 2016

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I'm actually two episodes away from the Dark Sanctuary duel so this is perfect! Bakura was always great, and that duel in particular stands out in my memory along with Joey vs Marik and Yugi vs Kaiba as the best from this arc. Hopefully they hold up as well as Keith vs Joey did.

The fact that Bakura was seemingly contractually obligated to do something heroic once per arc and all of his villainous victims were themselves villains made him pretty endearing in that Early 00s Antihero Shadow The Hedgehog sort of way. Man, teenagers were edgy back then. I blame Stone Cold Steve Austin.

Anyway, powering through Battle City, I was surprised at how much liberty the game was still taking with the rules during this arc. Some of the card effects are some crazy rear end nonsense, although some of them seem like they would be preferable to their actual incarnations (Skull and Graceful Dice being multiplicative? Holy crap.) A lot of those altered effects result in a lot of duels being resolved by really dumb means, like villains not knowing about the SECRET SECOND EFFECT of their card or whatever. Combine that with an almost mind-bending increase in over-explanation and excess recapping, and I found a lot of the duels to be a lot less enjoyable than I remembered. Yugi vs Arcana in particular was one I had high hopes for that ended up being a slog, between the English VA's shrill voice, all the dancing they had to do around what the original storyline was with that old 4Kids Censoring, and the general nonsense of the actual game.

One duel that ended up really shocking me with its quality was the tag duel with Luma and Umbris. Some good psychology and fun twists and drama from a match I remembered as being arduous and unexciting. If I remember right when those episodes were originally airing on Kids WB there were delays between the new episodes, which probably led to a bad impression because reruns or preemption made a four-episode duel much longer.

Some other impressions:

-The implied backstory of Ishizu and Marik's conflict is really interesting. Marik has a couple of scenes discussing her with his minions that makes it seem like she's been a consistent thorn in his side for years and that he considers her a bigger threat to his plans than Yugi OR Kaiba, and that first bit where she convinces Kaiba to do the tournament through manipulation and force of personality certainly makes her seem like she's up to the challenge. Its like there was a whole spinoff show of Magical Archaeology vs Card Game Terrorists going on in the background we could have been watching instead. Sadly Ishizu is perfectly happy to hand the hero role to the Pharoh, but I found the idea that for most of the story Our Heroes were seen as just pawns of his sister by The Villain to be kind of neat.

-Its pretty hilarious how this arc starts off with Joey giving Yugi his REBD to make his deck stronger and promising to help Yugi fight the Rare Hunters, only for Joey to never duel a single Rare Hunter and Yugi to not even have REBD in his deck until he duels Joey. Considering the arc starts with all the Old Characters showing back up and having a friendly chat, it really seemed like the arc ought to have been Duelist Kingdom Characters vs Rare Hunters, but instead Yugi does all that poo poo while Joey beats up the jobbers Yugi already beat. Kind of a let down.

-I continue to be amazed at how subtly important a character Tristan is. Time after time he keeps beating up henchmen, thwarting evil plans and saving innocent bystanders from horrible fates by being a badass who punches people instead of dueling them. I'm going to be sad when he suffers Robo-Monkey death.

-According to Exodia Hunter's laptop, Bonz's two flunkies rarest cards are Twin-Headed Thunder Dragon and Firewing Pegasus. LOL.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

Sanguinia posted:

-According to Exodia Hunter's laptop, Bonz's two flunkies rarest cards are Twin-Headed Thunder Dragon and Firewing Pegasus. LOL.

Considering Firewing Pegasus was only a world championship promo and wasn't officially usable until a reprint almost a decade later, he might have been on to something.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Level Seven posted:

Considering Firewing Pegasus was only a world championship promo and wasn't officially usable until a reprint almost a decade later, he might have been on to something.

I guess its like how Rex's rarest card was Serpent Night Dragon, which in-universe was his prize as Regional Finalist.

...does that mean Weevil had a Serpent Night Dragon too? Or was it like a troll prize you only get for being a loser?

(Serpent Night Dragon is super dope though. Where's my 15 card archetype out of nowhere for that old worthless monster Konami?)

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Hungry Burger archetype when.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Sanguinia posted:

(Serpent Night Dragon is super dope though. Where's my 15 card archetype out of nowhere for that old worthless monster Konami?)

DUDE. I've wanted a retrain of Serpent Night Dragon for so drat long. Make it happen, Konami.

alcharagia posted:

Hungry Burger archetype when.

Hungry Burger is actually usable now, with Pre-Preparation of Rites. It's not good, obviously, but it's certainly usable.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Hungry Burger was the first card I got when I returned to the game a few years ago.

Is surprisingly hard to find nowadays, well a lot of cards from the Chaos era or before are. It was also a pain in the rear end to find all the Gagagigo cards.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Dexie posted:

DUDE. I've wanted a retrain of Serpent Night Dragon for so drat long. Make it happen, Konami.

I mean, Buster Blader got stuff out of nowhere after being an appendix to the Dark Magician for like 10 years, at this point I'm willing to believe anything is possible.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
You guys don't know what pain is, my favorite card as a kid was Seiyaryu.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

VJeff posted:

You guys don't know what pain is, my favorite card as a kid was Seiyaryu.

Serpent Night Dragon is the evil twin of Seiyaryu! We can do this together underappreciated dragon buddy! #GetTheEyesOut

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Last year, Konami remembered that Seiyaryu exists, at least.

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon%27s_Bind

Sanguinia posted:

I mean, Buster Blader got stuff out of nowhere after being an appendix to the Dark Magician for like 10 years, at this point I'm willing to believe anything is possible.

It wasn't really out of nowhere, they've been doing retro support for tons of DM-era protagonist monsters for a while, as a lead up to the 20th anniversary.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Dexie posted:

Last year, Konami remembered that Seiyaryu exists, at least.

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon%27s_Bind

It wasn't really out of nowhere, they've been doing retro support for tons of DM-era protagonist monsters for a while, as a lead up to the 20th anniversary.

Yeah, I just mean Buster Blader wouldn't have been one I expected because he was already a support of sorts for Dark Magician and had been for years with Skilled White and whatnot.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

There's no reason y'all can't make your Serpent Night Dragon & Seiyaryu decks. A lot of the Blue-eyes support like Silver's Cry and Azure-Eyes are tailor-made for them, and normal monsters already have a huge amount of general support like Swing of Memories and Advanced Ritual Art. Keeper of the Shrine, Carboneddon and the entire Hieratic archetype are indirect support, too. Obviously it's not going to be as consistent as a real Blue/Red-Eyes deck, but you could definitely make a fun deck with your favourite card.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Hjalmar posted:

There's no reason y'all can't make your Serpent Night Dragon & Seiyaryu decks. A lot of the Blue-eyes support like Silver's Cry and Azure-Eyes are tailor-made for them, and normal monsters already have a huge amount of general support like Swing of Memories and Advanced Ritual Art. Keeper of the Shrine, Carboneddon and the entire Hieratic archetype are indirect support, too. Obviously it's not going to be as consistent as a real Blue/Red-Eyes deck, but you could definitely make a fun deck with your favourite card.

That's not what they're asking for, though. They're asking for those cards to receive support, maybe even an archetype of their own. To give an example of their thinking: yeah, I COULD make a Relinquished deck thanks to stuff like Pre-Prep, the Ritual Djinns, etc. but it'd be cooler if Relinquished had his own archetype.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I don't even want a Serpent Night Dragon archetype. I just want it retrained into a more usable monster.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

My monster is not destroyed

But you still take the damage!

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Slur posted:

My monster is not destroyed

But you still take the damage!

What an idiot! Why would he summon a monster with 0 ATK points?!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Kay Kessler posted:

What an idiot! Why would he summon a monster with 0 ATK points?!

Now I'll activate Pot of Greed!

This card allows me to draw two new cards!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
And don't forget about Flame Wingman's super power! When he destroys a monster in Attack Mode, you take damage equal to that monster's Attack points!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Can't believe this one was only used once

"XYZ monsters don't count as level 0?!"

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

That one was used multiple times actually.

Once during the Houkto vs. Yuya duel, IIRC, once during the Yuya vs. angry guy who's name I forget during the Junior Youth tournament, and once against one of the security mooks in Synchro.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
"When I successfully summon this monster, I can special summon ANOTHER copy of this monster!"

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

"I set the scale and this allows me to pendulum summon"
"Pendulum what"
"Pendulum summon"

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
I know the deck was never good, but I really hope we get new Amazons support printed.

JamMasterJim fucked around with this message at 11:15 on May 19, 2016

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

The Amazoness deck is REALLY close to being usable and good, at least. Being Earth/Warrior with most of their monsters at level 4 is huge already, and they do have a handful of good power cards. They just need some good consistency help and they would at least be playable.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
It is my dream to one day have a deck where every card needs to be explained.

PowerBeard fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

PowerBeard posted:

It is my dream to one day have a deck where every card needed to be explained.

Hi
:v: