Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stump
Jan 19, 2006

spog posted:

(So, 55 isn't a blanket limit? Guess my reference material for US traffic laws, 'Smokey and the Bandit' is out of date)

One thing I loved about driving in the US was finding single carridgeway roads in Nevada which would have been 60mph A roads in the UK having a 70 limit. Of course the downside of contextual speed limits all the fun twisty roads with super low limits which would have been a 60 limit in the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

spog posted:

I've heard mentioned a few time about the US police having a policy of not chasing bikers.

I've heard this any maybe some counties have this policy, but you bet they'll play relay overwatch with choppers until you stop for gas or crash, unless you're in a podunk area with no birds in which case Jim Bob will call the sheriffs and tell them THAT DURN ROBERTSON BOY IS RACING AGAIN.

We have bike chases all the time in LA and the cruisers just hold back at a reasonable speed until the guy runs out of fuel, jumps a fence and gets owned by a police dog on live TV.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

iwentdoodie posted:

100 on a bike also totally depends on the bike. If you're on a quiet, sport touring bike or the like and you're in full gear with reflective gear most cops don't even glance at you.
Aerostich on a BMW sport touring cops will wave as you go by them most of the time. Even my SV650 seemed invisible to cops...and other drivers :sigh:

Around here they won't bother chasing most of the time. They'll just wait for you to wreck then scrape you off the pavement. Once they have your plate and description it isn't worth the risk, a few have run only to find them waiting in the driveway when they get home.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

spog posted:

(So, 55 isn't a blanket limit? Guess my reference material for US traffic laws, 'Smokey and the Bandit' is out of date)

The bottom half of Utah is 80 MPH and it's magical. That said I've seen people pulled over for 85, and 90 is pretty much a guarantee that you're getting pulled over.

meatpimp a Honda Odyssey is easily the best mini van, but the best non-minivan available is the Ford Flex. We bought a '13 ecoboost Flex and love it. Captains chairs in the middle row so getting to the back seat is easy and doesn't require kids jumping over a seat. The tech is great and it's super comfortable. It's basically a modern wagon that kicks major rear end.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

ilkhan posted:

Did nobody see my weird car post? Not a single reply...

I saw it, didn't know what to say. :)

corn in the fridge posted:

I watched Deadpool on my flight and holy poo poo what a terrible film. Boring start to finish and every joke painfully forced and unfunny. I can't see how anyone with an IQ higher than room temperature actually finding this sort of tripe enjoyable.

I haven't seen it but wouldn't it be edited a lot if being shown on a plane?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Somewhat Heroic posted:

The bottom half of Utah is 80 MPH and it's magical. That said I've seen people pulled over for 85, and 90 is pretty much a guarantee that you're getting pulled over.

meatpimp a Honda Odyssey is easily the best mini van, but the best non-minivan available is the Ford Flex. We bought a '13 ecoboost Flex and love it. Captains chairs in the middle row so getting to the back seat is easy and doesn't require kids jumping over a seat. The tech is great and it's super comfortable. It's basically a modern wagon that kicks major rear end.

From what I've heard, the 80mph states have less tolerance for speeding. I've even heard the parts of Texas with 85mph speed limits will pretty much pull you for 1mph over that.

Personally I believe on most U.S. Interstate highways 80-85 is the upper limit for what's safe for continuous cruising. I know nearly every AIer will talk about cruising at 100+ for miles but I wouldn't want to encounter an errant pebble or have a blowout (or be behind someone having a blowout)

Edit: Also once you get to that point the commercial truck vs passenger vehicle speed delta is getting more and more dangerous. Aren't a lot of trucks limited to 62 or 65?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

CharlesM posted:

No dashcam?

It crapped out a few weeks ago. :sigh:

I watched Deadpool on my flight and holy poo poo what a terrible film.

They should have shown Snakes on a Plane instead. Or Airplane.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

spog posted:

I've heard mentioned a few time about the US police having a policy of not chasing bikers.

Does this mean that I could ride a bike from coast-to-coast at 70mph with impunity?

No, because you'd get to your first fuel stop and get turbofucked, because they can just park a helicopter over your rear end.

They're not going to chase you by car, they'll do it by radio instead.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 15, 2016

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Huh.. Well, looks like I now have my own AI catte. While my wife and kids were out, they brought back a Maine coon kitten.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

keykey posted:

Huh.. Well, looks like I now have my own AI catte. While my wife and kids were out, they brought back a Maine coon kitten.

Maine Coons are adooorable little rascals. :3:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

We have bike chases all the time in LA and the cruisers just hold back at a reasonable speed until the guy runs out of fuel, jumps a fence and gets owned by a police dog on live TV.

Liquid Communism posted:

No, because you'd get to your first fuel stop and get turbofucked, because they can just park a helicopter over your rear end.
Or do both, with an air-to-ground police dog:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

How to evade police helicopters: drive near a military base. That'll change all the spawns to hydras and jeeps and those are cake to dodge.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Holy poo poo. New "Me at ur posting" gif!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
E: you know what's brown and black and looks good on a politician's arm?
a german shepherd

Previa_fun posted:

From what I've heard, the 80mph states have less tolerance for speeding. I've even heard the parts of Texas with 85mph speed limits will pretty much pull you for 1mph over that.

Personally I believe on most U.S. Interstate highways 80-85 is the upper limit for what's safe for continuous cruising. I know nearly every AIer will talk about cruising at 100+ for miles but I wouldn't want to encounter an errant pebble or have a blowout (or be behind someone having a blowout)

Edit: Also once you get to that point the commercial truck vs passenger vehicle speed delta is getting more and more dangerous. Aren't a lot of trucks limited to 62 or 65?

Honestly, as someone who speeds like a mad oval office (75-80 and sometimes 85 is speed of traffic around here, I usually maintain around 80-85) I would probably stay right at 80-85 if the limit was one of those. I get decent fuel economy at that speed still and have no real desire to go any faster than that.

kastein fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 15, 2016

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
It kind of depends on what you drive too, in my brother's car with purple heart plates, I was routinely butting up against the speed governor down I-57, so that's like 105 mph IRCC.

But that Texas speed limit poo poo is no joke, we got pulled over and issued a warning for driving 3mph over the limit on an open highway at 4am

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

I watched Deadpool on my flight and holy poo poo what a terrible film. Boring start to finish and every joke painfully forced and unfunny. I can't see how anyone with an IQ higher than room temperature actually finding this sort of tripe enjoyable.

You need some International Women's Day to cheer you up.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

keykey posted:

I miss my little buddy every day. Maine Coon best cat.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

scuz posted:

I watched Deadpool in a theater with my friends and holy poo poo what a fun film. Tongue-in-cheek start to finish and every joke really fit the characters and source material. I can't see how anyone with a sense of fun wouldn't find this kind of movie-going experience enjoyable.

Oh yeah I forgot that I hate fun. Actually I really enjoy fun except zany wacky puerile humour isn't fun it's intellectually bankrupt. Boooorrring. Good film for overweight manchildren with an inflated sense of their own intelligence i guess

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Goddammit Stump, your van's power steering is a bad influence on impressionable vehicles.

Ok, that's actually not so bad. Let's try it with pressure.

:laugh:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I see you're new to superhero movies.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Oh yeah I forgot that I hate fun. Actually I really enjoy fun except zany wacky puerile humour isn't fun it's intellectually bankrupt. Boooorrring. Good film for overweight manchildren with an inflated sense of their own intelligence i guess

What are some films you enjoy, just for comparisons sake

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Slavvy posted:

I see you're new to superhero movies.

See, the point that has not been addressed is -- what room? Different rooms have different temperatures. I'd be very displeased with the IQ of the temperature of a shaded room in Iceland in the middle of Winter. I'd be quite comfortable with the IQ of the temperature of a room in a shack in Death Valley in August. :shrug:

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

I do say, I also will not accept the commoners in their theatrical choices. I especially will not partake in their enjoyment in their poppycock known as Deadpool. I would rather enjoy the cukinary delighy of spotted dick. Oh, what's that? My Ascot is once again in my dickey? Oh bother..

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Oh poo poo Dave. What vehicle is that? My van has now passed its MOT and done 135 miles with its bodged connection. Mechanic I took it to shrugged and said it would probably be fine, but I think I'll fix it at some point. It's not weeping or anything but I figure it's mode of failure will be straight from fine to hosed in a fraction of a second.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Great Beer posted:

*copies and pastes imdb's top 50*

Also lol at watching an entire movie when the first 5 minutes annoys you.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Great Beer posted:

I don't watch films very often I'd rather read a book

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

do you even own a television?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Liquid Communism posted:

If the biker tries it in a major metro area this might happen, but most law enforcement agencies outside of major cities don't have helicopters, when they do they don't have the budget to keep them flying constantly or even have a flight crew on standby to scramble on moment's notice - even then they probably couldn't get on station fast enough for it to make a difference.

Last fourth of July I witnessed a sports bike flee from an OSHP cruiser, and the patrolman made it through the intersection before turning his lights off and pulling into a gas station.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

That doesn't answer the question though fam, what films do you rate?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Oh. You're one of THOSE people.. I'm sorry. I've had to read too many goddamn books in my life so if I have a choice of entertainment mechanism whether fed through my eyes to my mind vs eyes and ears to brain, I choose the latter. In the end, I get the gist of the story without being out too much time. A side benefit is beers and friends.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Sinestro posted:

do you even own a television?

He spends all of his time trolling AI in Something Awful Forums

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

stump posted:

Oh poo poo Dave. What vehicle is that? My van has now passed its MOT and done 135 miles with its bodged connection. Mechanic I took it to shrugged and said it would probably be fine, but I think I'll fix it at some point. It's not weeping or anything but I figure it's mode of failure will be straight from fine to hosed in a fraction of a second.
It's on a Mk4 Fiesta. One which cost me less than a day's wages, though, so eh. I'll figure something out for it.

They run the pipes across the front behind the mouth of the lower grille, so they act as a cooler, but of course this means they also get blasted with grit, water and winter salt, so it's hardly surprising that the above happens I guess.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Goober Peas posted:

He spends all of his time trolling AI in Something Awful Forums

Truly, the most enlightened form of entertainment.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
If it's a beater already it's time to do some science experiments on it. Do they have JB Weld steel stick in Blighty?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Liquid Communism posted:

No.

There are long-standing advisories, policies, briefs, etc. as well as legal precedent against pursuit. Most counties and state agencies adopted limited pursuit policies as early back as the 80s; adopted them because of numerous studies and statistics that shows, in the end, it's not worth it. Not because people will get away from a radio, helicopter, and full-court-press defense of every available officer, but because most pursuits end with injury or death and most of the time the runner is running from a relatively minor offense. Often those injuries were police officers or bystanders.

To quote one article:
"Almost all U.S. law enforcement agencies have adopted a restrictive pursuit policy, according to the International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP). About one-fifth of police departments allow pursuits only for felony offenses, while half require the pursuit to end when the suspect has been identified, according to the IACP study. "Ending the pursuit" often means the officer must switch off his lights and siren, stop, and turn around. ...Departments commonly require the permission of a supervisor to allow or continue a pursuit. The new limited-pursuit policies mean that if an officer is chasing someone, the officer—and his supervisors—believes the suspect has done something really bad."

So you want to discourage speeding and running from the cops, knock yourself out. But don't try to make reality out to be something it isn't just because a false picture better suits your narrative. Really quick Google searches will turn up articles and briefs about limited pursuit rules, and if you're lucky, you'll even be able to directly find your state or local police's ACTUAL PURSUIT POLICY. Most of them show just how much of a loving pain in the rear end it is to pursue someone.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

meatpimp posted:

Holy poo poo. New "Me at ur posting" gif!

Hmmm, might be a bit too big once you resize it to really be effective.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

keykey posted:

Oh. You're one of THOSE people.. I'm sorry. I've had to read too many goddamn books in my life so if I have a choice of entertainment mechanism whether fed through my eyes to my mind vs eyes and ears to brain, I choose the latter. In the end, I get the gist of the story without being out too much time. A side benefit is beers and friends.

Books provide more than just entertainment. Unless, of course, you don't read very good books.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'd like to see a venn diagram of people who enjoy superhero movies and people who read books without pictures in them.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Books provide more than just entertainment. Unless, of course, you don't read very good books.

Ok, since you're dodging the question of "what movies do you consider to be palatable," then tell us what books tickle your intellectual sensibilities.

You Am I posted:

Hmmm, might be a bit too big once you resize it to really be effective.

But how can I use words to fully communicate the air-to-ground dog followed by helicopter-born strike force that is unleashed when I read ur posts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Slavvy posted:

I'd like to see a venn diagram of people who enjoy superhero movies and people who read books without pictures in them.

You can do both.

• Locked thread