Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
You might have settled in an area without goblin contact. Nothing really to be done about it other than start a new fort and making sure you have contact on the embark screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Forcing siege events also got real tricky-like once armies stopped being things you spawn and became things whose movements are tracked in the world. There's been a few strides, but no replacement yet.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

My Werebeast is having a strange mood. I hadn't walled him off yet because I was going to use him in the next goblin invasion but now he broke through some doors so I let him out right after he turned back into a dwarf to see if he can get the material he needs in a month to make something ridiculous (and I'll be locking the room he ends up in once he gets all his stuff) Hopefully this turns out awesome but I'm fully expecting to have five+ people die over this. It might be worth it.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

scamtank posted:

Stopped adventure camps from being aged by the age of the world repeatedly

Gotta love DF patch notes.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Moridin920 posted:

"The men are getting restless, boss. Seems like we've been here forever. Maybe longer."

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Moridin920 posted:

"I went to sleep and when I woke up the planet was swallowed by the sun."

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It's longer than you think, Urist! Longer than you think!

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
"...and every day was as long as the life age of the Earth."

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Yet another bug that would make a great curse whenever we get magic.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Anchors posted:

You might have settled in an area without goblin contact. Nothing really to be done about it other than start a new fort and making sure you have contact on the embark screen.

This is happening to me too, but I specifically parked as close to a Dark Pit area as I could without being on the same tile. Goblins are listed in my embark, and I'm At War with both goblins AND elves in this world.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Bad Munki posted:

It's longer than you think, Urist! Longer than you think!

:golfclap: I'm glad I got this reference.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

:shittypop:

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
As an adventurer confronted with a river and no swimming skill or trees suitable for climbing, I was able to cut down a tree and use the logs to construct a small bridge across the river. Would've been a bigger accomplishment if I didn't finish the bridge to find the river had frozen over in the meantime.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

PublicOpinion posted:

As an adventurer confronted with a river and no swimming skill or trees suitable for climbing, I was able to cut down a tree and use the logs to construct a small bridge across the river. Would've been a bigger accomplishment if I didn't finish the bridge to find the river had frozen over in the meantime.

try jumping

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
My max speed was .5 from all the garbage/treasure I was hauling to town. I guess I could've thrown it across the river piece by piece and then jumped it, but we've got this fancy new building system.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Okay, so--

Another were-raccoon showed up, and for some reason my ENTIRE fort came rushing out the gate to fight it. They are all unarmed civilians, I don't even HAVE a military squad.

What the hell happened to make dwarves so hyper-aggressive all of a sudden?

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Also I think one of my artisans just made the Lament Configuration...

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

scamtank posted:

try jumping

A real dwarf will leave a river with better engineering than when he encountered it.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

StrangeAeon posted:

Okay, so--

Another were-raccoon showed up, and for some reason my ENTIRE fort came rushing out the gate to fight it. They are all unarmed civilians, I don't even HAVE a military squad.

What the hell happened to make dwarves so hyper-aggressive all of a sudden?

I don't know when you last played, but drinking booze causes a compounding syndrome that lowers inhibitions and increases bravery since 0.42. That's why basically any encounter with wildlife on the surface or in the caverns ends with an unconscious critter instead of a maimed dwarf and why you get the occasional tavern brawl now.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
They all wanted to pet the washbear

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Neurion posted:

:golfclap: I'm glad I got this reference.

me too, it was a very good one

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Moridin920 posted:

me too, it was a very good one

Given enough time, anyone can get it.

Crackmaster
Feb 6, 2004

my dad posted:

Given enough time, anyone can get it.

Eh, I wouldn't hold my breath.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Crackmaster posted:

Eh, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Well played.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a way to control Dwarf Fortress with a mouse and completely through stonesense?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Or, if you don't want a festering !!pile of poo poo!!, cities skylines.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
When is Dwarf Fort 2016. When.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Ignimbrite posted:

Or, if you don't want a festering !!pile of poo poo!!, cities skylines.

Do you realize how much a tire fire DF played only through the lag-shield of stonesense and without hotkeys would be? I just tried to find the closest analog.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
So having finally given in and decided to learn how to play this, I've used the Wiki and the Fortress Guide at the start of this thread to work up my very first fortress, and no one is dead yet. I've even managed to get my first artifact made: a bloody dolomite weapon rack. Still, at least no one went crazy.

Now I've just got to find some metal ore so I can make armour and weapons for my militia, and find a use for all the bloody migrants sitting around doing nothing. Oh and build traps and stuff for when the goblins finally come to attack me.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

fallingdownjoe posted:

So having finally given in and decided to learn how to play this, I've used the Wiki and the Fortress Guide at the start of this thread to work up my very first fortress, and no one is dead yet. I've even managed to get my first artifact made: a bloody dolomite weapon rack. Still, at least no one went crazy.

Now I've just got to find some metal ore so I can make armour and weapons for my militia, and find a use for all the bloody migrants sitting around doing nothing. Oh and build traps and stuff for when the goblins finally come to attack me.
While learning the ropes of the game, it is a good idea to turn of invasions in the init files.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Turtlicious posted:

Is there a way to control Dwarf Fortress with a mouse and completely through stonesense?

You might like Rimworld more than Dwarf Fortress.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Werebeasts are annoying really. They turn up way too frequently and early and inevitably kill 2 or 3 guys before they're stopped and usually spread an infection.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

Pickled Tink posted:

While learning the ropes of the game, it is a good idea to turn of invasions in the init files.

Is it possible to do this mid-game? I'm using the Lazy Newbie launcher if that makes a difference.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Shibawanko posted:

Werebeasts are annoying really. They turn up way too frequently and early and inevitably kill 2 or 3 guys before they're stopped and usually spread an infection.

Yeah, it really depends on the type of infection

The most dangerous were variants can do a lot of damage in the very limited time they are were-rampaging around your fort.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Turtlicious posted:

I think the 0.40 release of DFHack/StoneSense had some very basic ways of interacting with the game through StoneSense. I'm pretty sure it hasn't gotten much, if any, love since 0.40.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

fallingdownjoe posted:

Is it possible to do this mid-game? I'm using the Lazy Newbie launcher if that makes a difference.
Yes. Save your game, exit dwarf fortress, and go into your dwarf fortress folder and open data\init\d_init.txt and change [INVADERS:YES] to [INVADERS:NO], then fire up the game again.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

Pickled Tink posted:

Yes. Save your game, exit dwarf fortress, and go into your dwarf fortress folder and open data\init\d_init.txt and change [INVADERS:YES] to [INVADERS:NO], then fire up the game again.

Perfect! Thanks very much for this. One day my dwarfs will die to the hands of goblins, but that is not this day!

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

The currently ongoing LP is really making me want to fire this up again and give it a shot, but I always get stuck at the same stage on fort development. I always find a place, plan out an overly elaborate fort design, get food and drink production set up, and then start dawdling around and either get bored or get wiped off the face of the earth by whatever shows up before I get a military up and running. What can people suggest for not getting lost right at that crucial spot? Maybe I just need a definitive checklist that's like "do these things in this order asap" or something? I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

neogeo0823 posted:

The currently ongoing LP is really making me want to fire this up again and give it a shot, but I always get stuck at the same stage on fort development. I always find a place, plan out an overly elaborate fort design, get food and drink production set up, and then start dawdling around and either get bored or get wiped off the face of the earth by whatever shows up before I get a military up and running. What can people suggest for not getting lost right at that crucial spot? Maybe I just need a definitive checklist that's like "do these things in this order asap" or something? I dunno.

Whereas the military is broken and has always been mostly broken, and
Whereas suffering through the military interface is by far the worst part of Dwarf Fortress, and
Whereas equipping your military barely works, and
Whereas your entire squad system can be derailed by a dwarf seeking infant,

just say gently caress it, run DFHack, and if some goblins show up before you're ready just type "exterminate goblin" and go on with your life