Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

StandardVC10 posted:

God drat the F7U-3 is cool. It's kind of interesting how the competitor to the F-4 Phantom had a similar brutalist aesthetic going on.

XF8U-3 -- the F7U is ... less awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

ehnus posted:

XF8U-3 -- the F7U is ... less awesome.

poo poo, you're totally right. Gonna fix that.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
An225 landed in Perth today. Because it was delayed it landed on 21 instead of 03 and I didn't get to see it. :smith:

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

~Coxy posted:

An225 landed in Perth today. Because it was delayed it landed on 21 instead of 03 and I didn't get to see it. :smith:

Would have flown over my house if they'd come in from the south like originally planned, but since it came from the north we saw nothing. :smith:

Had to laugh, cause we ate lunch with the kids at the Jandakot Airport viewing area like we usually do on the weekend, and there were about 2 dozen people there to see the "big plane". The ones that were hoping to catch a view of it lining up on Perth Intl hadn't checked the news in the morning to see the route had changed, and I'm fairly certain a few people thought it was actually landing there.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

~Coxy posted:

If you can make it for the departure it's well worth it. I've seen it a couple of times here at Finningley and it's seriously impressive.

It looks like it's hardly moving forward at rotation and considering the size of it the noise levels aren't that large.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

intakes like that always make me think of

What I don't get is that they even entered that thing into the "competition". I mean, I assume they half-assed everything as much as they could given that it was a foregone conclusion what they'd pick, but seriously? Why even expend the effort to pretend with that thing? I wouldn't have chosen that even if it was the only entry.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Nice piece of fish posted:

What I don't get is that they even entered that thing into the "competition". I mean, I assume they half-assed everything as much as they could given that it was a foregone conclusion what they'd pick, but seriously? Why even expend the effort to pretend with that thing? I wouldn't have chosen that even if it was the only entry.

It was, at one point, a serious entry. But, it was too much "firsts" going on to let it succeed. It was Boeing's first fighter after fully integrating MD's design team, which meant lots of inexperienced Boeing people trying to run the show. Lots of trying to push technology forward, which is commendable, but delicate manufacturing procedures bogged down an already delayed project. The manufacturing issues were enough to warrant a full scale redesign of the platform, but by then the first two prototypes were already built. And those started showing unforeseen problems in their fight capabilities. One of those airplanes which flew better on paper.

Otherwise, yeah, AF generals and their want for pretty airplanes.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

Nice piece of fish posted:

And yet according to someone in the airpower thread it outclassed the LockMart entry (aka the current F35) in almost every single category.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

~Coxy posted:

First time it has visited Australia.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Rumor is F-117 may be coming back.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Tsuru posted:

And yet according to someone in the airpower thread it outclassed the LockMart entry (aka the current F35) in almost every single category.

I think you are confusing the xf-23/xf-22.

I thought the X-32 failed the whole stupid vtol/stol stuff.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Flikken posted:

I think you are confusing the xf-23/xf-22.

I thought the X-32 failed the whole stupid vtol/stol stuff.

It had the hover performance of a Harrier, which is to say; poo poo.

The F-35B is a really impressive airplane, when you just look at what's sitting on the ramp. It's the program behind it that is a gilded-frame eighteen-foot by twenty-six foot oil-on-canvas portrait of a dumpster fire.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

MrYenko posted:

It had the hover performance of a Harrier, which is to say; poo poo.

The F-35B is a really impressive airplane, when you just look at what's sitting on the ramp. It's the program behind it that is a gilded-frame eighteen-foot by twenty-six foot oil-on-canvas portrait of a dumpster fire.

When the Pentagon is on the record as saying "we totally screwed this up and we're never doing it this way again" you know it's bad.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

CommieGIR posted:

What can the 117 do that the 22 can't?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

CommieGIR posted:

May?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

slidebite posted:

Nothing, but we need more flying airframes.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
In an alternate universe, a goatee'd David Axe declares that the X-35 would have been the superior choice over the now massively overbudget F-32 program. "America needs a stealth A-7, not a stealth AV-8B!" he types on his blog.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

slidebite posted:

Carry a nuke.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
^There are basically zero missions that call for a first-generation stealth bomber with relatively short legs to deliver a small nuclear payload.

CommieGIR posted:

At least part of the fleet never stopped flying.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

slidebite posted:

Brood in the darkness

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Nothing, but we need more flying airframes.

I want the AeroGavin guy to start proposing the F-117 as a CAS aircraft

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

DesperateDan posted:

Brood in the darkness

Oh my god, F117, your parents were killed by an S-125 in eastern Europe WE GET IT ALREADY :rolleyes:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Godholio posted:

^There are basically zero missions that call for a first-generation stealth bomber with relatively short legs to deliver a small nuclear payload.

Nobody asked for "useful." :v:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Duke Chin posted:

Oh my god, F117, your parents were killed by an S-125 in eastern Europe WE GET IT ALREADY :rolleyes:

I'm Nighthawk

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
spotted Friday, I guess

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Nebakenezzer posted:

When the Pentagon is on the record as saying "we totally screwed this up and we're never doing it this way again" you know it's bad.

Whoa. Have they said this? Does "this way" apply to the Navy as well? Pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Phanatic posted:

Whoa. Have they said this? Does "this way" apply to the Navy as well? Pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease

I hate to be that guy, but I know I'm read the latter part come out of the mouth of a pentagon spokesman.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

New SDASM!!

https://youtu.be/CI8Hl9REDqw

Old YC-14 videofilm beyond link

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

At least part of the fleet never stopped flying.

Yeah they're not coming back operationally, that'd be stupid for a whole bunch of reasons.

But they've never stopped flying on the NTTR doing various things, there's been multiple photos of them flying uprange since the official "retirement"

And yeah the X-32 failed miserably on the performance side of JSF.

X-35 passed on performance (although really thin weight margins from a STOVL perspective), it's been LM/JPO's program management that has been terrible. Although a big part of that loops back around to the fact that the F-35B was significantly overweight compared to the X-35 (reference those thin weight margins) and the SWAT effort to try and get overall weight down to a manageable number for the -B's STOVL performance is what has caused a lot of the big picture issues with the program as a whole.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

iyaayas01 posted:

X-35 passed on performance (although really thin weight margins from a STOVL perspective), it's been LM/JPO's program management that has been terrible. Although a big part of that loops back around to the fact that the F-35B was significantly overweight compared to the X-35 (reference those thin weight margins) and the SWAT effort to try and get overall weight down to a manageable number for the -B's STOVL performance is what has caused a lot of the big picture issues with the program as a whole.

Was STOVL ever a worthwhile idea? As as ratio of RnD effort, STOVL seems to have been aviation's equivilent of better 3"5 floppy disks.

Odd ducks:

And this. I think the flags on the back are American and Malaysian?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

Was STOVL ever a worthwhile idea?

Well, heavily loaded helicopters and the osprey are technically STOVL. :v:

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Nebakenezzer posted:

Was STOVL ever a worthwhile idea? As as ratio of RnD effort, STOVL seems to have been aviation's equivilent of better 3"5 floppy disks.

Nope, STOVL is loving stupid. Doubly so on fighter aircraft. Triply so on supersonic stealthy fighter aircraft.

Pretend I posted the VTOL wheel of misery

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I remember on the PBS JSF show the big failing of the X-32 was hot air ingestion when hovering, which is ironic since usually pentagon projects are more guilty of spewing the hot air :downsrim:

I still love the X-32 though, the derpy fucker. Something cool about such an ungainly fighter. Of course one of my other fav fighters of all time is the English Electric Lightning.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

priznat posted:

I remember on the PBS JSF show the big failing of the X-32 was hot air ingestion when hovering, which is ironic since usually pentagon projects are more guilty of spewing the hot air :downsrim:

Do both.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
You know how every time someone makes a car also be a boat it's a loving horrible idea because you end up with a kinda lovely car and a kinda lovely boat rolled up into one super expensive high maintenance turd?

Same with making a plane also be like a helicopter.

Now, making a plane be a boat, somehow that works out quite nicely.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

EvilJoven posted:

You know how every time someone makes a car also be a boat it's a loving horrible idea because you end up with a kinda lovely car and a kinda lovely boat rolled up into one super expensive high maintenance turd?

Same with making a plane also be like a helicopter.

Now, making a plane be a boat, somehow that works out quite nicely.

You get a kinda lovely airplane and a really lovely boat?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

tactlessbastard posted:

You get a kinda lovely airplane and a really lovely boat?

You get PBY Catalinas and Short Sunderlands.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

priznat posted:

I still love the X-32 though, the derpy fucker. Something cool about such an ungainly fighter. Of course one of my other fav fighters of all time is the English Electric Lightning.

The biggest problem with the X-32 was that Boeing found out a fair ways into the design phase that it was going to be a total dog, so the submitted production design ended up being dramatically different to the X-32 by the time of the flyoff, whereas the X-35 was seen as the safe, conservative choice, if you can believe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nebakenezzer posted:

STOVL is a Soviet plot to sabotage NATO aviation. It’s the only thing that makes sense.