Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

outy posted:

Again, that's region specific. Pi, Requiem for a Dream, The Wrestler and Noah are all on Netflix.

Not in the US which is the only one that matters. They used to be on there though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outy
Aug 27, 2004

drunken officeparty posted:

Not in the US which is the only one that matters. They used to be on there though.

It only matters because you won't pay an extra couple of bucks a month.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

outy posted:

It only matters because you won't pay an extra couple of bucks a month.

Smartflix sounds cool until I realize that I don't have an HTPC and since I'm not a millenial, I don't want to watch stuff on a laptop screen 1/15 the size of my TV.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What's a good "feeling sorry for yourself" movie that you can just kinda stew in that doesn't involve romance? On Netflix or Hulu or Prime.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

feedmyleg posted:

What's a good "feeling sorry for yourself" movie that you can just kinda stew in that doesn't involve romance? On Netflix or Hulu or Prime.

Not sure if this is exactly what you're after, but The Truman Show and Sunset Boulevard are on Netflix, Amy and Interstellar are on Prime and they'd all work for me in that kind of mood.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

feedmyleg posted:

Team Foxcatcher on Netflix. Also Pleasantville, Dear Mr Watterson, and Damnation.

All but one of these is actually a happy movie, but Foxcatcher is a bit of a downer.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Medullah posted:

The Burbs is in my top 10 favorite movies of all time. The Money Pit was also funny, but I haven't watched it more than a couple times.

Of course I'm also the weird one who thoroughly enjoyed Joe vs. the Volcano so I'm clearly insane.

The bathtub scene alone is worth watching the money pit, so goddamn hilarious.

I still have not seen Joe vs the volcano. Is it worth it just for the novelty?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Joe vs. The Volcano is loving awesome. But it's got some problems. Well worth watching, though.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Netflix US recently added We Are Still Here, one of the standout horror films of 2015. It's a basic "family moves into a house with a dark history and the dead are restless" plot set in the 1970s, and the film really goes out of its way to feel authentic to the era. It's not the most original thing you'll ever watch but it's well executed and looks great.

I wouldn't recommend watching a trailer since they all give away one of the movie's best scares, but if you need any further convincing here's a review from the AV Club that I agree with wholeheartedly. If you're not down for reading an entire review, the short version is "good pacing, great practical effects bolstered with subtle CG, solid performances and camerawork, mess of a third act."

http://www.avclub.com/review/we-are-still-here-tries-scare-past-you-220143

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Accident Underwater posted:

If you have HBO streaming you can watch one of the Fast and Furious movies. XXX is on Netflix if you want the most Generic Vin Diesel Action Film possible.

If you've never seen XXX, it's probably the most diesel/early 2000s movie ever. It's about an extreme sports superstar who becomes a secret agent to help take down an Eastern European crime ring. It's goddamn amazing.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Joe vs. The Volcano is loving awesome.

It didn't deserve its status as a complete bomb, but I've never seen anyone this enthusiastic about it.

outy
Aug 27, 2004

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

Smartflix sounds cool until I realize that I don't have an HTPC and since I'm not a millenial, I don't want to watch stuff on a laptop screen 1/15 the size of my TV.

So choose a different service. There are a lot of DNS spoofers out there, most offer a free trial and then cost a negligible amount.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I watched Beautiful Losers over the weekend and loved it. Punk rock art collective that started in the late 80's and is still alive today, including Harmony Korine and other weirdos. If you have ever been an artist, I'd recommend it.

Sixteen Candles is up now too. It's not as good as Breakfast Club or Ferris Bueller and suffers from some dated perspectives, I think it has the best soundtrack of any John Hughes movie and deserves it's reputation.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Joe Vs. The Volcano has some amazing design. I love the look of it, especially the first half with its bizarro hell New York.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I've tried to watch The Money Pit twice this month and fell asleep within the first twenty minutes of each viewing.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

coyo7e posted:

Team Foxcatcher on Netflix. Also Pleasantville, Dear Mr Watterson, and Damnation.

All but one of these is actually a happy movie, but Foxcatcher is a bit of a downer.

Foxcatcher seems to be a movie that you either enjoy or hate with no middle ground. I wound up on the enjoy side of the fence and my girlfriend hated it with a fury I've never seen in her.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Franchescanado posted:

I've tried to watch The Money Pit twice this month and fell asleep within the first twenty minutes of each viewing.

It's an utterly dire film, I have no idea why people are saying otherwise. My parents loved it when I was growing up so I've seen it far too many times. It's so bad.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

DeathSandwich posted:

Foxcatcher seems to be a movie that you either enjoy or hate with no middle ground. I wound up on the enjoy side of the fence and my girlfriend hated it with a fury I've never seen in her.

There are actually 3 Foxcatcher movies up on Netflix now. The feature film, a feature-length documentary, and a 30 for 30 special.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

precision posted:

It's an utterly dire film, I have no idea why people are saying otherwise. My parents loved it when I was growing up so I've seen it far too many times. It's so bad.

They're saying otherwise because they aren't joyless dead husks that were once human.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The feature film might be on Netflix Zimbabwe or whatever but it's not on US Netflix

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

morestuff posted:

The feature film might be on Netflix Zimbabwe or whatever but it's not on US Netflix

e: Nevermind, guess it got taken down.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Loki_XLII posted:

Joe Vs. The Volcano has some amazing design. I love the look of it, especially the first half with its bizarro hell New York.

My parents have never seen a Tom Hanks movie because they hated that movie so much they. I have never seen it and know nothing about it but that has me pretty curious

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

B-Rock452 posted:

My parents have never seen a Tom Hanks movie because they hated that movie so much they.

Real cliffhanger of a post.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

feedmyleg posted:

A Pigeon sat on a branch reflecting on existence.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

feedmyleg posted:

I don't know if it fits the tone given other people's suggestions but The Birth of Saké was a fairly engrossing documentary about an old-school non-automated sake brewery. Since they do everything by hand the employees have to live in the brewery over the winter so there's this sense of... i dunno, isolation? it's a good documentary that kind of fizzles a bit in the middle and then gut punches you towards the end.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Marketing New Brain posted:

It didn't deserve its status as a complete bomb, but I've never seen anyone this enthusiastic about it.

Roger Ebert had a giant hard-on for it.

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/joe-versus-the-volcano-1990

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

B-Rock452 posted:

My parents have never seen a Tom Hanks movie because they hated that movie so much they.

You should reintroduce them with Cloud Atlas.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

feedmyleg posted:

Joe vs. The Volcano is loving awesome. But it's got some problems. Well worth watching, though.

Marketing New Brain posted:

I loved it. It's adorable and silly and Meg Ryan is awesome along with Hanks. It's a really odd flick all in all, just never take it seriously for a moment and it's a lot of fun.

Lots of quotable stuff in it that sticks in my head years later for some reason.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

computer parts posted:

You should reintroduce them with Road to Perdition.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

computer parts posted:

You should reintroduce them with The Green Mile.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
You should reintroduce them with a Colin Hanks movie and see if they notice.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Get them to watch Forrest Gump. No baby boomer can resist that movie.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
If you're looking for a light, entertaining movie that's family friendly, you could do worse than the Goosebumps movie. The production value is much better than the TV version.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

fishtobaskets posted:

If you're looking for a light, entertaining movie that's family friendly, you could do worse than the Goosebumps movie. The production value is much better than the TV version.

No barking ghost dog no deal

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hat Thoughts posted:

No barking ghost dog no deal

I'm sure there's an expensive, green screen homage to the dog barking the theme song.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I talked about it a bit in the Gimme Blood thread (which, holy gently caress, why did I stop posting in that?), but the most interesting thing about Goosebumps to me is how much self-loathing and guilt is embodied by the RL Stine character in a movie where the actual RL Stine has a cameo role. Homeboy let himself get coded as a child abuser, it's wild

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Counterpoint We Are Still Here was generic poo poo beyond the mood the first ten mins set up

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Junkie Disease posted:

Counterpoint We Are Still Here was generic poo poo beyond the mood the first ten mins set up

I haven't watched it yet, but I was excited by the ratings and immediately disheartened by the description. Sounds like fake throwback Italian horror. If it's anything like House of the Devil I'm not going to bother watching it.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

NESguerilla posted:

I haven't watched it yet, but I was excited by the ratings and immediately disheartened by the description. Sounds like fake throwback Italian horror. If it's anything like House of the Devil I'm not going to bother watching it.

It's definitely throwback Italian horror, but it's nothing like House of the Devil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
We Are Still Here would be comparable to The House by the Cemetery if we're talking Italian horror. Its more restrained than Fulci though, so if you think Fulci can sometimes be too over the top, you'll probably like We Are Still Here.