Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

nielsm posted:

Looks like the next month is going to be maximum feathers. Both derps have begun molting.

Yeah, I cleaned Judah's cage yesterday before heading out of town and it looked like a cockatiel exploded inside.

Steve and Ohtori, get a room you two :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrecking Ball
Jul 16, 2011
Stolen, but I'll just leave this here..

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Wrecking Ball posted:

Stolen, but I'll just leave this here..

gently caress the police, I'm picking up those puppies.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
I'm not a dog person, but I would pick up them all up!!!

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Baby conure

Baby-eating conure

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Mizuti posted:

Baby conure

Baby-eating conure

aaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Omg....all I can say is squeeeeeeeee!!

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

That bird is most def a anime

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Crossposting from PYF.

http://i.imgur.com/1SokTOr.mp4

Wrecking Ball
Jul 16, 2011
To all you bird crazies out there,
I have a question about how you clean your cages.

Currently I have a light weight, easily detachable Hagen cage. This one: http://ca-en.hagen.com/Bird/Housing/Hybrid-Cages/83300
All I have to do is unclip the bottom tray, and I can fit all the pieces in my bathtub and give them a good scrub in soapy water once a month.

But I have been considering getting a bigger, more heavy duty version of a cage like this: http://www.kingscages.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=SLFXL%203221.
I like that the metal coating is nice and thick, and its more spacious (I could get another 1-2 budgies in the future :D). However, cleaning something of this scale seems a much more daunting task. With most cages like this, i've been told the cage part can be lifted off the wheeled base. But it still seems like a giant thing to have to hoist into the bathtub (if the dimensions even allowed for it to FIT in the tub..)

So how do you guys clean your massive cages?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Mine had a big tray at the bottom that slides out. I keep it filled with newspaper, which I change daily, and wash it once every other week or so. I don't have to take the whole cage apart or clean it very often. I'll just spot clean the bars where they get dirty.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I just use the central vac hose to go in and vac out the cage every weekish, and it gets most of the schmutz. Every few weeks or so it gets a deep clean with hot water and vinegar.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Poop-Off wipes are also excellent and bird-safe. The flimsy little wipes will take even hardened bird poo poo, it's amazing. I use them in winter when I can't just spot clean and then take his cage outside to clean while he waits in his travel carrier.

Also, praise be unto god, I finally found a god drat pet sitter who will actually listen when I say to change Judah's water when he shits in it. I came in after a weekend away and he had clean water. For a moment I thought "maybe he just didn't poo poo in it," but then I remember that this is Judah, who has never not poo poo in his water. Thank you, sixteen year old girl, for being way better at this poo poo (literally :haw:) than the loving 50 year old woman who "looooves animals!!!" who I used last time.

Now if I could just get the cat to stop peeing in insecure rage whenever I leave for more than 24 hours :v:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
you can get plug in :catdrugs: and they really do work I use pet remedy because the refills are cheaper than Feliway. One of my cats will rip out all of his own hair and bald himself without his precious air freshener pheromones.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

learnincurve posted:

you can get plug in :catdrugs: and they really do work I use pet remedy because the refills are cheaper than Feliway. One of my cats will rip out all of his own hair and bald himself without his precious air freshener pheromones.
Really? Okay, I'm going to try that because I'm at my wit's end. I know mostly what it is, she's basically got this as per the vet, and she's so loving territorial and also codependent that she works herself up into a pissing, panic-attacking mess. So it's kind of just managing it.

This is not the cat thread but gently caress it she's loud and sort of :derptiel: too

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Aaaagh Judah's trying to say something new but I don't recognize it yet :kimchi: It's a pattern in his "talking" voice, not a whistle, and it's very clearly enunciated.

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

Maestro is ripping the hair off my arm and hand and biting my fingers when I try to get him to stop. Please stop, bird.

It hurts. :saddowns:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well stop trying to make him stop, duh :v:

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

Tendai posted:

Well stop trying to make him stop, duh :v:

It's all good now. He decided he loves the chair arm and is now rubbing the side of his face against it and trying to feed it.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
@Tendai That sounds like what my cat has, I got them from a mad cat lady and inbreeding is certainly a factor with their neurosis. FYI cats chuffing hate kitchen foil and won't go near it. I have my sofa covered in it at night to keep the little bastards from doing bad things to it.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Can confirm big sheets of foil are like cat-deterring force fields. My friends cat would puke behind furniture until the access points had foil put in front of them (not even blocking it, just laying on the ground in front of where he went in) and they didn't have a problem after that.

Wrecking Ball
Jul 16, 2011
In other news, the birdies are happily eating their fancy organic Harrisons pellets I just bought yesterday. They were previously on Zupreem but there was so much artificial dye in those pellets I kept thinking they were internally hemorrhaging. The little jerks all of a sudden decided the only acceptable colour to eat is red. DON'T EAT THE GREEN!! :argh::derptiel:

^Also cats are weird. I will never understand cats. Even less so than picky colour coding birds.

Wrecking Ball fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 15, 2016

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

DarkHorse posted:

Can confirm big sheets of foil are like cat-deterring force fields. My friends cat would puke behind furniture until the access points had foil put in front of them (not even blocking it, just laying on the ground in front of where he went in) and they didn't have a problem after that.

Oh if that were only true here :( All of my feline crew adores foil in any form. Several love water and take showers with us, (and adore spray bottles!!)...and still others eat citrus fruits and sweets when they can get it.

My cats are all broken :(

Tofu Terry
Oct 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I've had broken cats as well. Put foil on top of a snake cage so they wouldn't sit on it all the time, one of the cats looks at it and drags it off with her teeth. :gonk:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

learnincurve posted:

@Tendai That sounds like what my cat has, I got them from a mad cat lady and inbreeding is certainly a factor with their neurosis. FYI cats chuffing hate kitchen foil and won't go near it. I have my sofa covered in it at night to keep the little bastards from doing bad things to it.
Unfortunately the places she chooses to pee in are totally random and it is not entirely practical to cover my entire house in foil. I go on a cruise for a week in June, that's gonna be fun. As is moving.

Judah is the good pet right now.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Wrecking Ball posted:

In other news, the birdies are happily eating their fancy organic Harrisons pellets I just bought yesterday. They were previously on Zupreem but there was so much artificial dye in those pellets I kept thinking they were internally hemorrhaging. The little jerks all of a sudden decided the only acceptable colour to eat is red. DON'T EAT THE GREEN!! :argh::derptiel:

^Also cats are weird. I will never understand cats. Even less so than picky colour coding birds.

I've been giving my birds blueberries as treats and their poop is terrifying for a day afterwards every time.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
I notice that Garrus is left-handed and almost always flies laps around the room counter-clockwise, while Gillian is right-handed and usually flies around clockwise. I wonder if there's some sort of connection. I never really thought much about it until today when they collided in mid air. :derptiel: At least they both recovered before hitting the ground.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tendai posted:

Aaaagh Judah's trying to say something new but I don't recognize it yet :kimchi: It's a pattern in his "talking" voice, not a whistle, and it's very clearly enunciated.

I'm just gonna guess the sixteen-year-old girl tried to teach Judah some swear words.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm just gonna guess the sixteen-year-old girl tried to teach Judah some swear words.

This is why I am glad lovebirds are not good at learning to speak, because Toast would be going "you little shitwhistle!" and "gently caress you you little cockmongler".

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nah, he doesn't pick things up that fast, it literally takes years now that he's not a baby anymore. Things have to be pretty contextual and enough of a pattern for him to make it stick.

:derptiel:

And it's super unlikely with the girl in question, like I would be genuinely shocked despite knowing that teenagers are shits.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Sigh...I can only imagine the language Cricket will pick up once she is home next weekend.

My lovely British husband has a large and wonderful command of the English language, especially when it comes to swearing.

I am almost expecting her first words to be along the lines of "rear end biscuits" "buggeration" "bloody hell" "twat" "fuckwit" etc.....sigh, the vet is gonna love us!!

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

omfg i can't

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
If only I could teach Toast to say "wanna kiss a fucken legend" :sigh:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
I'm glad Taco hasn't learned to talk, because I grew up in the outback in a mining town, so every second word out of Tacos mouth would be "gently caress".

He has learned how to make a kiss sound though :3:

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

If only I could teach Toast to say "wanna kiss a fucken legend" :sigh:

Yeah.....I talked with my husband earlier and he said almost the same thing about Cricket.

Apparently it would be awesome to have Cricket yelling "Shoo you bastards" and "Fuckin Legend" at the cats. Sigh...poor bird has no clue what kind of home she is coming into lol

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Alright, second attempt at posting. First attempt made me cry.

I'm starting to worry about my bird's quality of life. Wandy is at least fourteen years old but two vets independently of each other both think she is ancient. She is spending more and more time on the bottom of the cage and seems to be having trouble with sinusitis all the time whatever the hell that is. I keep trying to give her medicine but she is very old and frankly seems a bit frail and I feel that it's a bit cruel at a certain point.

I'm thinking about taking her to the vet tomorrow but I don't really have a reason other than, "She is old and doesn't seem happy unless I'm holding her, doc?" I don't loving think that's going to come to a good conclusion.

How do you all cope with your elderly birds? I could use a little guidance right now.

God loving Damnit.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Flat perches and a friend. She's on the bottom of the cage because she's having problems gripping a normal perch, she may not have long left but a buddy would really make a difference to what time she does have left, and more importantly it sounds like it's (another bird) something you need as well. /hugs

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
This is the unfortunate part of looking after a pet through to old age. You don't need to make that trip as long as she is still happy and enjoying life. Just because shes not as spry as she used to be doesn't mean she isn't happy, just like your grandparents, she's almost definitely more than content to sit and watch the young'uns run the world.

Ultimately none of us can make the decision for you, but I honestly think having a discussion with your vet about how much pain the sinus issues are causing and Wandy's quality of life would be extremely valuable. The vet will understand completely where you are coming from and should give you plenty of options for making life easier for her, like the bird equivalents of stair elevators and shower rails.

At the end of the day, you've given Wandy 14 long and happy years, and the fact you are so concerned about her shows you are an excellent owner.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 08:19 on May 16, 2016

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Captain Log posted:

Alright, second attempt at posting. First attempt made me cry.

I'm starting to worry about my bird's quality of life. Wandy is at least fourteen years old but two vets independently of each other both think she is ancient. She is spending more and more time on the bottom of the cage and seems to be having trouble with sinusitis all the time whatever the hell that is. I keep trying to give her medicine but she is very old and frankly seems a bit frail and I feel that it's a bit cruel at a certain point.

I'm thinking about taking her to the vet tomorrow but I don't really have a reason other than, "She is old and doesn't seem happy unless I'm holding her, doc?" I don't loving think that's going to come to a good conclusion.

How do you all cope with your elderly birds? I could use a little guidance right now.

God loving Damnit.

-Consider as well maybe getting something like a finch flight cage, or a cage advertised for rodents/etc-basically low and long, like this: http://www.zooplus.com/shop/birds/bird_cages_and_accessories/parakeet_cages/261902 or http://www.zooplus.com/shop/rodents/cages/hamster_mouse_cages/hamster_cages/174317 or http://www.zooplus.com/shop/rodents/cages/rabbit_cage/120_cm_cages/146571 Just avoid any with painted bars. You could probably even find something similar on craiglist for cheap and deep clean it. Long and low will give her space to move, flap, and stretch, but she won't have to climb or perch too high to reach anything and if she fell she'd be fine.

-Get large sheets of fleece and use that as the liner for the bottom of the cage, on half or all of it. You can wash and reuse it. Toasty warm on the feets, and if you put a bit on the cage bottom wall she can cuddle up into it if she wanted

-Flat/shelf perches like mentioned above can be good

-Heated perch or heat lamp might be nice for her. Maybe even something like a little box/basket she can sit in-there was a goon in a previous incarnation of this thread who had an elderly cockatiel, and every day they'd put bird into a little basket and put the basket on the window sill so it could look out at the world in comfort.

-Maybe she'd like something like egg food, or bird mash, or bird bread? A soft treat full of Good poo poo for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

I completely understand the Old Birb worries. Zoe is twenty-one and has paralyzed leg nerves, so she spends most of her time laying down on her flat shelves, the cage bottom, or across my chest. Since she has a broken beak and useless feet, she can't play with toys, and now that her life-long friend Zeke is no longer with us, I worried that she wasn't having the best quality of life if I wasn't constantly interacting with her.

But! Zoe has four other birds as company. I have a TV playing in the background to provide some stimulation. She's next to a window and she can see outside and yell at the local wildlife, neighbors, and flecks of dust. She still preens herself religiously, even if she can't quite reach her tail feathers. She still fusses when she doesn't get her way, loudly. She still snuggles for hours and hours with me like it's her God-given right. She's mostly blind, nearly deaf, can't walk very well, is missing half her beak, and has a poopy tail, but Zoe is happy and healthy and content with her lot in life. She's more than the sum of her parts.

I guess what I want to say is that you'll know when it's hopeless. Every bird, person, and creature has a different limit, and you'll know when your feathered friend has hit hers.