Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Deified Data posted:

So I know it's technically possible to be invaded with no summons but anecdotally it must be incredibly rare. Across two playthroughs I can count both the number of times I was invaded by a red and the amount of solo players I invaded as a red combined on one hand. There's really no danger of ever getting invaded while playing solo, outside of Farron or Aldrich areas.

on PC with my NG+1 run i've intentionally kept my ember up at all times and run around with way of the blue permanently equipped and i get 1 invader per new zone about as soon as i zone in. after that invader, i don't get anyone else at all, and obviously i know where i'm going by this point and once i beat the area boss i don't get invaded any more, but 1 invader per zone seems pretty reasonable considering i never play with any friendly phantoms.

only about half the time has a bluecop even been summoned while i was fighting, and only half of those times did the bluecop even show up soon enough to actually impact the fight one way or another. i did get invaded by two different wolfbros two different times while i ran around the swamp level because there's two different bosses and that whole zone is so loving huge, but other than that the invasions have been pretty regular.

of course i've saved aldrich for last and i just beat pontiff and haven't crossed into the second half of irithyll yet to maybe i'm about to get blasted in the rear end with invasions who knows :shrug:

i will say yhorm shouldn't even count as a boss on NG+ and beyond once you know how to get the onion knight into the battle with you and you can walk into the room with the storm sword equipped. the two of you can just alternate the special attacks and keep him stunlocked and shred his health and it's completely underwhelming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Trick Question posted:

So, this game started working on my computer after a patch, I think. Still some frame hiccups, but completely playable.

It really loving rules! The combat is great, even though I've been going with a boring sword-and-board style for my first playthrough. Dark Sword seems really loving good - every time I try to switch to something else, it seems really underwhelming in comparison. Yorgh's great machete is the only thing that has come close.

It also seems really huge - I just killed The Dragonslayer Armor and I'm consistently surprised by there seeming to be so much game left.

I seem to have missed whatever characters teach pyromancy and sorcery somehow, though. Without spoiling anything, can I go back to pick them up or have I hosed things permanently? I'm sure I've missed a billion secrets and hidden areas, but I'd assumed they'd be more out in the open.

Pyromany you can. Npc quests are long ruined of you beat Yorhm.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Jerusalem posted:

Go up the ladder, turn left and try to get past the guy standing in the doorway. I found that was a good ego-destroyer for when I got a little uppity about having just beaten Dancer :allears:

Oh, I have a stance art weapon. So that variety are basically freebies. I got their weapon drop which I would wanted to use if not for this whole poise thing :sigh:

EDIT: The "Try fire" messages make me more and more glad for Carthus Flame arc. So much more fun (And more frequently usable) than bringing along pine resins.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 16, 2016

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The Rokstar posted:

Is dex/faith a thing you can do in this game without completely gimping yourself? I kind of want to be a hybrid melee/caster... thing. I haven't put a lot of thought into it yet.

What would even be a good weapon for that? It seems like most of the weapons that benefit from faith are huge and require a billion strength. Is sunlight straight sword a viable option? I'm kind of sick of straight swords though.

I think I'd primarily be going lightning but I'd have some pocket dark equipment/spells for stuff like NK.

Dex/fth is good, using offensive spells of any type without serious investment (60 Int/fth for sorceries/miracles) is bad. Dex/fth is great for working with buffs, since buffs in this add a flat amount of damage based on your catalyst's spell buff, and so work better with things that hit quickly. You'll also get good use out of other utility miracles like Deep Protection, the one that status ailments, and Force.

The Rokstar posted:

Doing this with lightning blade was kind of where I was thinking of taking this. Is the painting guardian curved sword any good? I've wanted to use that weapon since I found it on my first playthrough.

It's decent, but largely outclassed by other curved swords due to its incredibly short length. I highly recommend the Carthus Curved Sword which you can get from the carthus swordsman skeletons in the catacombs. One of the longest curved swords, good damage, and bleed on top of it. Sellsword twinblades are also fantastic. They really poo poo out damage with their l1s and weapon skill.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

hampig posted:

The biggest downside to it for me is that where the weapon art on the exile/murakumo is pretty scary, the weapon art of the carthus curved greatsword can't hit a drat thing, even in PvE.

See, this was my experience with the Sellsword Twinblades. Their regular attacks were great but the art would just lamely pirouette me right on past the target. CCGS? It reliably staggers and shreds whatever I want. Maybe it's just one of those playstyle things, with however it is I'm in the habit of positioning.

But really, the weapon art I want to master is that doofy anime ninja leap with the dual katana set. When done right it does a solid stagger that works even on pretty sturdy targets (only ones that no-sell it appear to be Angel Knights) followed by good damage, but as it's counting two hits with one that seems much weaker than the other, a failure to connect both always sucks.

So mainly I just use it to stylishly leap off a cliff after a successful co-op. :ninja:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Trick Question posted:

I seem to have missed whatever characters teach pyromancy and sorcery somehow, though.

You can pick up a pyromancy trainer in Undead Settlement, go across the bridge beside the big fire gathering and up around to where those undead are throwing firebombs at you, up on their level is a guy in a cage.

For sorcery, go to that swamp area along the Road of Sacrifice (I think... it's the bit just before Crystal Sage anyway) and explore around in the crumbling buildings and you'll find a sorcery trainer.

Edit: Actually I think the latter might disappear if you haven't spoken to them before a certain point in the game. If that's the case, there is another sorcery trainer on the bottom level of the Irithyll Dungeon, but you'll need to get the key to their cell from the Profaned Capital. I think they train pyromancy too.

Section Z posted:

Oh, I have a stance art weapon. So that variety are basically freebies.

In that case, all I can say is to remember that in Dark Souls, hubris always ends up being the ultimate foe! v:shobon:v

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 16, 2016

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

You can pick up a pyromancy trainer in Undead Settlement, go across the bridge beside the big fire gathering and up around to where those undead are throwing firebombs at you, up on their level is a guy in a cage.

For sorcery, go to that swamp area along the Road of Sacrifice (I think... it's the bit just before Crystal Sage anyway) and explore around in the crumbling buildings and you'll find a sorcery trainer.

Edit: Actually I think the latter might disappear if you haven't spoken to them before a certain point in the game. If that's the case, there is another sorcery trainer on the bottom level of the Irithyll Dungeon, but you'll need to get the key to their cell from the Profaned Capital. I think they train pyromancy too.

Thanks! I thought I'd explored those areas pretty thoroughly, but I guess I'll have to give them a second look. I found that other character, but they were only willing to take a couple books.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The Rokstar posted:

Is dex/faith a thing you can do in this game without completely gimping yourself? I kind of want to be a hybrid melee/caster... thing. I haven't put a lot of thought into it yet.

What would even be a good weapon for that? It seems like most of the weapons that benefit from faith are huge and require a billion strength. Is sunlight straight sword a viable option? I'm kind of sick of straight swords though.

I think I'd primarily be going lightning but I'd have some pocket dark equipment/spells for stuff like NK.
it sucks until like 3/4th of the way through the game, at which point a Dex/Faith boss weapon becomes arguably the best source of ranged lightning damage, and is pretty good in melee too.

Source: guy who did Dex/Faith as his first character :suicide:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

L-O-N posted:

Not Heirs of Fire but Lords of Cinder. So just Yhorm, Aldrich, and Abyss Watchers.

Oh so I just have to beat Aldrich now.

gently caress my life.

How awesome is the Greatsword of Judgement? It looks dope.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Jerusalem posted:

In that case, all I can say is to remember that in Dark Souls, hubris always ends up being the ultimate foe! v:shobon:v

Don't worry, before I went up the ladder I died to a silver spear knight trying to top off for level 80 :downs:

Speaking of spear knights, close call because I keep forgetting Lothric spear knights are actually allowed to sweep with the lothric longspear when THEY have it :argh:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

lite_sleepr posted:

How awesome is the Greatsword of Judgement? It looks dope.

If you can, take the Profaned over it honestly.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Trick Question posted:

I found that other character, but they were only willing to take a couple books.

With regards to that character, if you push them they WILL take the books. The standard pyromancer will refuse to take them at all, the standard miracle seller will take them but make a comment about how they're frightened of them - if you then buy any of the miracles from those books from them, it kicks off a part of their storyline where they begin to slowly corrupt, and their initial defender will come and take them away. Track them down and you'll have to fight him, and the NPC is already doomed to die because of their corruption. The NPC from the dungeon won't like the books, but they WILL take them if pushed and there will be no negative consequences to it (that I'm aware of).

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

This guy knows what's up.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Yardbomb posted:

Ugh it's an ultra great sword move set. I'd have stuck with my lightning infused astora great sword if I at all liked it.

Does anyone else feel like this game could have a totally different level of depth if the NPCs were fleshed out more? I really don't like missing a huge portion of backstory or lore because I didn't know an obscure location or thing to do.

Oh, you stepped on a crack and broke your mothers back? Well now you can't join the Hallmark Covenant and Sirris won't ever talk to you.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 16, 2016

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

lite_sleepr posted:

Ugh it's an ultra great sword move set.

It's soooooo good though, especially if you're doing any of the high STR/DEX stuff.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Yardbomb posted:

It's soooooo good though, especially if you're doing any of the high STR/DEX stuff.

Perhaps, but what other weapon has S scaling with anything? If I could make a UGS work, I'd rock the AGS because of that S faith scaling.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
God help me, Even though I'm SL 80 (Good spread for put down white signs incidental co-op in the later half in the game) I'm considering throwing down more levels into VIT just for using my proffered clothes+travel arsenal at the same time.

I'd only need a few more points, probably, just so I don't go over swapping around rings and maybe for cooler gloves :shepface:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

lite_sleepr posted:

I really don't like missing a huge portion of backstory or lore because I didn't know an obscure location or thing to do.

This is really awful in this one in particular really. Like there's always been character storylines with bits that can trip you up or that are kinda screwy with expecting you to find it, but that's practically EVERY character in this one.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

lite_sleepr posted:

Perhaps, but what other weapon has S scaling with anything? If I could make a UGS work, I'd rock the AGS because of that S faith scaling.

Don't be beholden to scaling letters over all else. Remember that the scaling bonus you receive is derived from both the scaling value and the weapon's base damage, so a B can beat out an A if its weapon has a higher enough base AR.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Genocyber posted:

Don't be beholden to scaling letters over all else. Remember that the scaling bonus you receive is derived from both the scaling value and the weapon's base damage, so a B can beat out an A if its weapon has a higher enough base AR.

My +10 heavy dark sword is pretty great. I've been leveling a sharp stock too.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
someone modded ds3 to be first person and is streaming it now:

https://www.twitch.tv/letofski

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Fuuuuucking hell, gently caress the fextralife wiki, seriously.

Started on a bleed/luck build, decided I wanted the Morion Blade. Even though it can't be infused it's still pretty cool. So Yuria asks me to kill Orbeck, I buy all the spells I want from him and get the rings and gesture, then kill him.

Wiki says that you can give the ashes to the handmaiden, and Yuria will give you the blade.

No.

You have to give Yuria the ashes. So, I'm hosed out of that. Not the super hugest deal but, uuuugghghghghghghh.

e; why would I even trust it after all the big discussion about how it sucks

e; and now I'm looking around and on Yuria's page, and on the Morion Blade page, it says to give them to Yuria, but on Orbeck's ashes page, it says handmaiden :negative: I just had to find the most obscure and incorrect version of the instructions, didn't I?

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 04:39 on May 16, 2016

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
My gundyrs halberd has none of the spike damage of yhorms or the Dragonslayer greataxe but gently caress it I'm cool unlike everyone else

It's real sad that I can't punish parry spammers, each hit just isn't strong enough even at 50 str/40 dex.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Pro-tip to axe/non-thrusting halberd/greatsword users: if they block your first hit, they can guaranteed parry your second one. So many people go berserk on me while I'm blocking, but the timing for parrying with a medium shield means you just have to press L2 after blocking a hit and you will guaranteed parry their followup.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Also if Yuria doesn't explicitly tell you, you can't turn them into her either. I'd killed Orbeck early on a "Well I'm never doing magic" idea but nope, Yuria wasn't having it when I tried to get ahead of events.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

With regards to that character, if you push them they WILL take the books. The standard pyromancer will refuse to take them at all, the standard miracle seller will take them but make a comment about how they're frightened of them - if you then buy any of the miracles from those books from them, it kicks off a part of their storyline where they begin to slowly corrupt, and their initial defender will come and take them away. Track them down and you'll have to fight him, and the NPC is already doomed to die because of their corruption. The NPC from the dungeon won't like the books, but they WILL take them if pushed and there will be no negative consequences to it (that I'm aware of).

With regards to this, if you want to learn any dark pyromancies or "hex" miracles, you should either let the pure miracle seller read them to you all at once (re: Buy all the spells at once) or just wait for them. There's no downside to giving the books/tomes/scrolls to the witch. She's just really late in the game.

Also you never even have to kill Orbeck if you don't want to. It's only for the blade, which is dumb.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

The Rokstar posted:

I thought about that but I heard sorcery was like Really Really Bad in this game.

Pyromancy could work, I guess. Doesn't that scale with the sum of your int+faith anyway?

You should be prepared to hear from this community that every weapon or strategy outside of estoc R1 spam is Irredeemably Bad. It is then your responsibility to find the most cool or most fun way to play and make it viable whether someone told you it's bad or not. You will always succeed with this method.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So, Dragonslayer Great Axe or Dragonslayer Great Shield? Is one really better than the other? I never tried any of them since my first character was DEX.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DelphiAegis posted:

Also you never even have to kill Orbeck if you don't want to. It's only for the blade, which is dumb.

Also if you buy all the sorceries from him, he takes care of the problem for you and you can still cash in like you did the deed anyway.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Also if you buy all the sorceries from him, he takes care of the problem for you and you can still cash in like you did the deed anyway.

And becomes a pretty useful summon for the princes, then you can get his ashes anyway!

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah but that's all the way at the end of the game, and I wanted the morion blade nooooowwww.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

So I guess I wound up borking myself out of the Catarina set because I killed Yhorm last? Basically as soon as I killed him (with Siegward in tow) I was teleported away to go fight the Dancer, and when I came back Siegward was gone, and the catarina set was not left behind.

This game is hilariously bad about locking you out of content for completely arbitrary reasons. I really wanted that catarina helm, but i guess that I won't be able to get it until NG+

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

So I guess I wound up borking myself out of the Catarina set because I killed Yhorm last? Basically as soon as I killed him (with Siegward in tow) I was teleported away to go fight the Dancer, and when I came back Siegward was gone, and the catarina set was not left behind.

This game is hilariously bad about locking you out of content for completely arbitrary reasons. I really wanted that catarina helm, but i guess that I won't be able to get it until NG+

I've done it that way before and I could always go back and grab the armor.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

mastershakeman posted:

My gundyrs halberd has none of the spike damage of yhorms or the Dragonslayer greataxe but gently caress it I'm cool unlike everyone else

It's real sad that I can't punish parry spammers, each hit just isn't strong enough even at 50 str/40 dex.

Parrying just doesn't have any real drawbacks. You don't really leave yourself open for any extended period of time. The risk Vs Reward is way out of whack. Sure, you manage to mess with their timing and get a hit or two through. Chances are, they just need ONE parry and that's it. The fight is over, they won. And they have multiple healthbars with which to try to get that singular parry thanks to estus.

Frankly, I'd advise keeping an unparryable weapon on hand when you run into someone trying parries. Nothing ruins their day like a 1-2 2-handed combo with the dragonslayer axe. if you're fast on the weapon swap, they may even foolishly attempt to parry, having expected a different weapon.

Personally, I would've made a failed parry open up the would-be parryer to a riposte themselves. Now the stakes are equal on both sides.

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 16, 2016

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

argondamn posted:

I've done it that way before and I could always go back and grab the armor.

Is it like, hidden somewhere then? I walk into the big hall and it's just not there. His Storm Ruler was sitting there on the ground, but no armor

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Akuma posted:

I made some videos chronicling the quests in this game, in case anyone is interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDHUIZYzc3Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Rl-d3CmtQ0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk44T0xL_xA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuOCO3beh5k

The Lord of Hollows video is a new thing I made by putting together a few pre-existing videos on my channel - the most popular of which was the Anri stuff that I shared in this thread a while ago.

I didn't really set out to make these as I was playing the game, I just recorded notable things after the fact, so occasionally some incidental dialogue that furthers the quest from a previously unrelated NPC like Ludleth or whoever will get cut short, but other than that they're fairly complete. I hope somebody enjoys them!

These are great. Thank you!

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Is it like, hidden somewhere then? I walk into the big hall and it's just not there. His Storm Ruler was sitting there on the ground, but no armor

Nope, that's where it should be. Not sure what could have happened.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Deified Data posted:

You should be prepared to hear from this community that every weapon or strategy outside of estoc R1 spam is Irredeemably Bad. It is then your responsibility to find the most cool or most fun way to play and make it viable whether someone told you it's bad or not. You will always succeed with this method.

magic is definitely usable, but it's not fun or good. my first run was a magic build and I hated it so much that eventually I just gave up and respec'd to something else because I was sick of feeling so weak. this isn't hyperbole, my enjoyment of the game increased drastically once I stopped playing as a caster

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Just flew through road to sacrifices, beat the boss, and am into the next area. Should this area have been more difficult?

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 05:26 on May 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
Someone earlier was asking about a Greatshield/Greatweapon run. What are everyone's favorite giant gently caress-off great weapons?