Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Yep, too bad Fox clearly doesn't understand what they did right with the movies that did well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

BrianWilly posted:

I really, really, really want X-Men Apocalypse to be good. Or at least enjoyable. It's all well and good that all these MCU films are succeeding and we get to be all "these comic characters from my childhood are being done right!" but like, I was never a big fan of Cap or Iron Man or Thor or whatever growing up. The X-Men are my real faves. The X-Men are my home.

(:negative:)

Then you should hope it's bad and bombs and they end up working a spiderman-like deal where Marvel gets creative input.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Away all Goats posted:

Then you should hope it's bad and bombs and they end up working a spiderman-like deal where Marvel gets creative input.

Marvel has creative input on the X-Men comics and they suck.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I really don't want Marvel/Disney to get the rights to X-Men back. I kinda hope that Apocalypse bombs just so FOX scrambles and offloads F4, because christ almighty do I want the MCU to have access to the First Family/Super Skrull/Galactus/Silver Surfer, but I'm fine with FOX having X-Men rights. They dominate stories they're in unless they're marginalized because unlike Spider-Man they're super popular while not being flexible, so unless they're specific exceptions (like Sunspot or Scarlet Witch, for instance) they're just sort of, well, there. It doesn't really help the MCU none to have the X-Men in it because they'll either get short shrift or every movie Tony Stark's gotta ask for Xavier's dumb bald opinion before doing anything.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I've really liked all of Bryan Singer's X-Men movies so yeah I'm holding out hope even though the trailers haven't been great.

I'm also watching X-Men: The Animated Series right now.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I'm also watching X-Men: The Animated Series right now.

Well then at least if it is underwhelming it'll feel like a breath of fresh air next to that garbage.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I don't think it's possible at all to integrate mutants into the MCU at this point. We've passed the event horizon of...being able to do that. It would mess up too many concepts.

Now, if the idea is for Marvel Studios to be able to make X-Men movies again, but in its own separate storyline apart from the Avengers/Thanos stuff...well, that could be cool, but I have a feeling it would stretch the studio too thin. Even now they're not able to produce that many films all that quickly. In which case, why not have two different studios producing these films? Honestly, the best scenario would just be for Fox to make good X-Men films. Which shouldn't be that out of the question!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

X-O posted:

Well then at least if it is underwhelming it'll feel like a breath of fresh air next to that garbage.

Actually this show is dope. The last two episodes alone have included references to Sherman's March, Henry David Thoreau's "Civil Disobedience," Apartheid, and the Twilight Zone episode Terror at 50,000 Feet.

Clearly, this show is too smart for some people.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

BrianWilly posted:

I don't think it's possible at all to integrate mutants into the MCU at this point. We've passed the event horizon of...being able to do that. It would mess up too many concepts.

"Mutants have always existed, but Charles Xavier (with the help of Jean Grey) has cast some sort of global amnesia on the earth via an Unnamed McGuffin Power Amplifier to make it so nobody notices Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters, mutants in general (previous established mutants who exist in the MCU (if any exist, I don't think there are any) have been deluded into believing that their powers are Generic Superpowers) and only fellow mutants who have been recruited to the X-Men are aware of its existence. But, due to the events of the Inhumans releasing Terrigen Mists on the planet during Phase Four, mutants are now in deadly danger as they start dying en masse due to an allergic reaction to the mist. Realizing the danger, Xavier drops the facade, reaching out to the Avengers for help. Suddenly, mutants are revealed to the world, just as they are dying, and everyone who isn't a mutant suddenly becomes aware of the unauthorized mental violation Xavier has inflicted upon them."

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 15, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Actually this show is dope. The last two episodes alone have included references to Sherman's March, Henry David Thoreau's "Civil Disobedience," Apartheid, and the Twilight Zone episode Terror at 50,000 Feet.

Clearly, this show is too smart for some people.

I don't think that's the problem. It's more the terrible animation, voice acting, and stories.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

"JEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAN!"

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

The X-Men are my favorite comic property, but I definitely do want Fox's franchise tank and burn to the ground. The movies haven't been THAT good to make up for the loss of other cool stuff. I want to eventually see the X-Men represented in other forms of media and merchandising. But as is now, Marvel is intent on strangling the X-Men as a profitable viable film franchise by freezing them out of animation, toys, video games, and even dumb t-shirts.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TFRazorsaw posted:

"JEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAN!"

COVERED WITH SCORPIONS

GET THEM OFFFFFFF MEEEEEEEE!

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Toss Dr. Doom in an X-Men movie, Magneto needs a vacation for a bit.

Leave out the F4.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Ignite Memories posted:

Yep, too bad Fox clearly doesn't understand what they did right with the movies that did well.

This doesn't ring true to me because IMO, what they did right was Bryan Singer directing. You've got two solid movies with Singer and the franchise drives off a cliff in a flaming Volkswagen with X3, then it gets solid again when Singer comes back for DoFP. Even as awful and stupid as the promo shots looked the movie itself was dope. This cemented Bryan Singer as "the guy who makes good X-Men movies" in my brain.

Apocalypse being terrible despite having Singer as directer was not even on my magic 8-ball of possibilities. I still have a hard time believing it and am holding out hope it's good.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nobody is saying terrible.

It has more positive reviews than negative ones, after all.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Wheat Loaf posted:

COVERED WITH SCORPIONS

GET THEM OFFFFFFF MEEEEEEEE!

Fox should just adapt the 'Previously on X-Men' video into a film verbatim

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Most of the reviews I've read have labelled Apocalypse mediocre, although a couple have been severely negative. But yeah, it doesn't seem terrible, at least from early critical consensus.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Travis343 posted:

This doesn't ring true to me because IMO, what they did right was Bryan Singer directing. You've got two solid movies with Singer and the franchise drives off a cliff in a flaming Volkswagen with X3, then it gets solid again when Singer comes back for DoFP. Even as awful and stupid as the promo shots looked the movie itself was dope. This cemented Bryan Singer as "the guy who makes good X-Men movies" in my brain.

Apocalypse being terrible despite having Singer as directer was not even on my magic 8-ball of possibilities. I still have a hard time believing it and am holding out hope it's good.

Everyone around here says Days of Future Past was great, but was it really? It had some fun action sequences but the plot was incredibly stupid. Character motivations felt baseless and Magneto turned back into a blithering idiot. It reeked of studio interference and I still think cat beast looks better than the crap we got in DoFP. I mean, seriously? Magneto tries to prevent the government from getting Mystique's DNA by shooting her in public? In front of an important government building? And then dragging her around smearing blood all over the place?? The logic of that scene alone ruins the whole movie for me, especially when you've got wolverine winking out of the plot because the writer needed it to happen. And why the gently caress was it Kitty Pryde who sends people back in time? Why would it EVER be Kitty Pryde? I think the fight scenes with blink and the quicksilver scene were awesome, and the rest is just kinda tiresome to me. Quicksilver bails after one cool scene because the writer doesn't want to deal with having a fast guy. And of course, the whole thing bends over backwards to make the story about wolverine.

In comparison, First Class had a really strong plotline with a few obnoxious characters. The x-kids were hokey as hell, but the setpieces and confrontations felt logical and well-put together. The plot had flow. Sebastian Shaw's plan to jumpstart the age of mutants by plunging the world into nuclear war makes sense and fits the time period. The scene with the codenames was definitely the low point of the movie, but the rest felt right to me. The ending sequence is the highlight of the entire series IMO.

First Class got me really excited for new X-men movies, and then DoFP took a lot of the wind out of my sails. I frankly don't understand why people think of DoFP as the stronger of the two. Days of Future Past makes me feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 16, 2016

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

DOFP retconn'ed X3 out of existence. That alone scores it a ton of points. But yeah, generally agreed, its not a very good film plot and characterization wise. Fans probably give it more of a pass because it was the first X-Men film that wasn't afraid to embrace characters outside of the core and show off everyone's powers in a flashy fun ways. In retrospect, X-Men 1 and 2 feel really conservative in that department.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Ignite Memories posted:

Everyone around here says Days of Future Past was great, but was it really? It had some fun action sequences but the plot was incredibly stupid. Character motivations felt baseless and Magneto turned back into a blithering idiot. It reeked of studio interference and I still think cat beast looks better than the crap we got in DoFP. I mean, seriously? Magneto tries to prevent the government from getting Mystique's DNA by shooting her in public? In front of an important government building? And then dragging her around smearing blood all over the place?? The logic of that scene alone ruins the whole movie for me, especially when you've got wolverine winking out of the plot because the writer needed it to happen. And why the gently caress was it Kitty Pryde who sends people back in time? Why would it EVER be Kitty Pryde? I think the fight scenes with blink and the quicksilver scene were awesome, and the rest is just kinda tiresome to me. Quicksilver bails after one cool scene because the writer doesn't want to deal with having a fast guy. And of course, the whole thing bends over backwards to make the story about wolverine.

In comparison, First Class had a really strong plotline with a few obnoxious characters. The x-kids were hokey as hell, but the setpieces and confrontations felt logical and well-put together. The plot had flow. Sebastian Shaw's plan to jumpstart the age of mutants by plunging the world into nuclear war makes sense and fits the time period. The scene with the codenames was definitely the low point of the movie, but the rest felt right to me. The ending sequence is the highlight of the entire series for me.

First Class got me really excited for new X-men movies, and then DoFP took a lot of the wind out of my sails. I frankly don't understand why people think of DoFP as the stronger of the two. Days of Future Past makes me feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

I mean, you're not wrong about most of those criticisms. I guess there's enough cool poo poo in the movie that I can ignore it. Blink is cool, Bishop is cool. The Sentinels are cool, Dinklage is great. Quicksilver is loving rad. And yeah honestly it garnered a huge amount of positivity from me for erasing mother loving X Three from reality.

I'm not arguing First Class was bad though. Kevin Bacon is great, everything with Erik and Charles is great. Everything with the actual first class is pretty weak though.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Kitty's role in the plot is more aggravating cuz it was originally HER going back in time and saving everybody, not Wolverine.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think the only thing wrong with the X-Men movies is that I'm really tired of Xavier, Magneto, and Mystique. And from the reviews it seems like the movie just retreads the same stories with them. If we can get them out of the X-Men movies I think they'd be a lot fresher.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Oh, okay X-O. Now we can do Cyclops, Wolverine, and Jean Grey! :)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Toxxupation posted:

Oh, okay X-O. Now we can do Cyclops, Wolverine, and Jean Grey! :)

I'm fine with them doing Cyclops and Jean Grey. Wolverine is obviously out of the equation now so that's why I didn't mention him.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

TFRazorsaw posted:

Kitty's role in the plot is more aggravating cuz it was originally HER going back in time and saving everybody, not Wolverine.

See, now THIS I can buy! It's an extension of her main power, which is phasing her body through spacetime. Phasing someone else's consciousness back in time and leaving their body behind is just too many steps away from her powerset. It's a weaker version of the same premise that only happened so the movie could be 90% hugh jackman. I feel the same way about Mystique's plot significance - I don't buy that her DNA is the key to replicating anyone's powers. Hell, if anything, Rogue would have made more sense in that role! But Fox is more interested in capitalizing on certain actors than writing a good story.

X-O posted:

I'm fine with them doing Cyclops and Jean Grey. Wolverine is obviously out of the equation now so that's why I didn't mention him.

I was really excited about the prospect of getting some interesting new stories with these two :(

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 16, 2016

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
There were some genuinely great, well-executed moments in DoFP. The conversation between old Xavier and young Xavier...the idea that Charles Xavier is such a powerful telepath because of his capacity for empathy and hope and not because he can control your brain or whatever...is one of the best-written Xavier anythings I've ever seen.

Professor X posted:

It's not their pain you're afraid of, it's yours, Charles. And as frightening as it may be, that pain will make you stronger. If you allow yourself to feel it, embrace it, it will make you more powerful than you ever imagined. It's the greatest gift we have, to bear their pain without breaking, and it's born from the most human power: Hope.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

There's a lot of things I hate about the X-Men movies, but I'll admit, Patrick Stewart is the one of the consistently great parts of it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

X-O posted:

I think the only thing wrong with the X-Men movies is that I'm really tired of Xavier, Magneto, and Mystique. And from the reviews it seems like the movie just retreads the same stories with them. If we can get them out of the X-Men movies I think they'd be a lot fresher.
Mystique has never been that interesting outside of parts of First Class where she had more of an actual agenda. In the first three X movies she was just around to do whatever the plot demanded, generally. She felt unnecessary to me in DoFP besides being a plot-point.

The Xavier/Magneto stuff in FC/DoFP were some of the better parts of the film. Although I agree that DoFP is not very good to Magneto.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I think it's really funny that between the five (now six) X-Men movies they've basically run through all the ways the various X-Books have sucked the past couple decades: An overemphasis on Wolverine, redoing the same tired plotlines in new and worse variations (including, if the rumor is true, the Dark Phoenix saga again, about a decade after it showed up the first time), centralizing the story on a couple of X-Men to the exclusion of all others, the inability to introduce new and compelling X-Men the audience like, time travel fuckery making needlessly overcomplicated stories, and most damningly leaning away from the whole "X-Men are a metaphor for the oppressed" operating coda that makes them likable/relatable characters in the first place.

I mean, don't get me wrong, there's a lot to like about both trilogies, I just think it's really funny that their drawbacks are the exact same problems the books themselves have had basically since the start of this century.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

TFRazorsaw posted:

There's a lot of things I hate about life, but I'll admit, Patrick Stewart is the one of the consistently great parts of it.

The X-Men movies, for all their many flaws, were what really kicked off the notion of hiring legitimately great actors to play comic book characters. That first X-Men film was transformative in that way. None of the X-films have had good scripts, X2 is probably the closest they've come, but they cast splendidly. Only the MCU is better at casting to this point. All that said, I'm really ready to move away from the dude-feelings triumvirate that every loving X-Film has been about; McAvoy, Fassbender, and Jackman are great actors but they're hogging the franchise.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I actually can't stand Fassbender. He's a right git. ... Can I call him that? I'm not British so I'm legitimately unsure.

Anyway I don't care for him.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There actually isn't much of an issue with introducing new interesting X-Men. They just get tossed after a new writer takes over.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm having a tough time believing Apocalypse is really that bad. I don't remember raving about First Class or DoFP, but I liked them both enough. It seems really odd for Apocalypse to outright suck. I'd be happy with esignificantly less Mystique. I can't think of a single thing she's done in these movies that justifies her being the centerpiece of the plot. I may not like the guy much, but they should just put Cyclops and Jean and those guys in the front for a minute. People have a hard enough time as it is to believe that there were X-Men comics before Wolverine.

BrianWilly posted:

There were some genuinely great, well-executed moments in DoFP. The conversation between old Xavier and young Xavier...the idea that Charles Xavier is such a powerful telepath because of his capacity for empathy and hope and not because he can control your brain or whatever...is one of the best-written Xavier anythings I've ever seen.

My favorite X moment is just when he's explaining why his powers don't work. "It's not here, it's..." and he gestures to his heart. That worked.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

I doubt Apocalypse is outright terrible bad in like an X3 abortion sense. The non-spoiler review I read suggested that it's just all bit ho-hum samey as the last outing, nothing impressive or innovative, plus the obtuse shoe-horning of Magneto and Mystique into the story just so they can use up that last tick on mega-stars Fassbender and J-Law's contract was fairly annoying. Mystique leading the X-Men is like Marvel deciding Loki needs lead the Avengers.

An X-Men movie without Xavier, Magneto, Wolverine, or Mystique for once would be a breath of fresh air.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Cocks Cable posted:

Mystique leading the X-Men is like Marvel deciding Loki needs lead the Avengers.

That happened, and it was one of the best runs of comics ever.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Cocks Cable posted:

An X-Men movie without Xavier, Magneto, Wolverine, or Mystique for once would be a breath of fresh air.

Or at least demote them to supporting casts. X-Men movies should really be about all the kids/young adults/younger-than-50-year-olds on the team, not the centuries old geezers.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Toxxupation posted:

That happened, and it was one of the best runs of comics ever.

Congrats on being likely being the only person on the planet that believes that.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

DrProsek posted:

Or at least demote them to supporting casts. X-Men movies should really be about all the kids/young adults/younger-than-50-year-olds on the team, not the centuries old geezers.

Definitely this. I watched the Rogue cut* of DoFP yesterday and it was quite a slog, but the scenes with Blink and her motley crew and the school scene at the end are so refreshing. I want vibrancy and diversity from my X-Men films, and some smaller scale stories that focus on the students and the team, which should be a big deal to some of the students, and less so to others.

...I probably actually want a big budget X-Men TV show really, with Black Sails level character development.

*She adds nothing to the film, as the action scene to rescue her is Bobby and Magneto. I don't recall the first 3 X-films well enough to say if Anna Paquin could have been a good Rogue, but I think at this point she should be recast if they decide to include Rogue down the line. A Gambit film and a 90s X-Men film on the horizon makes me happy though, as a terrible person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Metalshark posted:

A Gambit film and a 90s X-Men film on the horizon makes me happy though, as a terrible person.

Hey. Gambit one of a kind and you be crazy not to look forward to he movie, frère.

• Locked thread