Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Try the just released G board. It's all the talk in the apps thread and is really good so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
I downloaded GBoard and it's definitely the best swipe gesture keyboard I've used for iOS. Very snappy and nowhere near as many glitches as Swype.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I love Gboard! I hate the font they use!

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Hell yeah, thanks for the recommend. Google > Microsoft for everything except OS stuff.

Wow crap, this keyboard is so good I question why Google decided to make it for iOS. It lessens the reasons to get an Android. The search integration is super cool and means it's iOS wide anywhere there's a keyboard, which before custom kbs was hard to do well.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 13, 2016

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Michael Scott posted:

Wow crap, this keyboard is so good I question why Google decided to make it for iOS.
Because they'll still find a way to monetize the data they harvest from it. Never forget that Google is an advertising company first and foremost.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

annon searches still fill the bigger piece of the puzzle (even if i'm just pasting dat boi gifs into my messages).

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:
So apparently phone locking is still a thing that happens? Haven't paid attention to these sorts of things for years, woulda assumed that was gotten rid of by now. Good poo poo. Glad it's still here.

I've got a 4S that has I haven't used in a few years, but would like to get back into using. However, I don't want to use Fido :canada: anymore.

Apparently the iPhone 3 was still unlockable through jailbreaking, but this model isn't?

I read the last few pages and some people recommend going to the carrier and paying the $50 (!!!!) to get it unlocked.

Uhhh so with that figure in mind, are those services that show up in Google searches (like this one) ever worth it? Trustworthy? I don't want to pay $50 for this bullshit.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Carrier locking never went away and as long as carriers have a financial stake in your phone (be it by leasing it or by subsidizing it), it won't go away. The good news is that once that stake is gone (phone paid off/contract ended), the US carriers, at least, have no problem unlocking it for you for free.

Or you can just buy unlocked and avoid all that As for you, those shady services are just a disgruntled employee at the carrier performing whatever needs to be done, so it should work just fine.

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007
I'm not sure how things work in Canada, but your best bet, if you're out of contact, is to just go to your carrier and get it unlocked.

Unlocking via jailbreak is a thing of the past and hasn't worked since... Like iOS 6 or 7 I think.

azzenco
Jan 16, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Took my phone in and with 795 charge cycles my battery still looked good to their diagnostic. But I had that bonus half moon front camera issue and a dim spot on the top left corner of the screen and they swapped it out with another 6 for me :dance:

I don't care what their diagnostic said about the battery but now I can use it and record 15 second videos without the battery life dropping from 60 to 13% and then when I charge it, it jumps back up to 54% or something.

I know nobody cares but I am happy I can use my phone for more than 3 hours without it dying.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Will Apple just replace a battery if its bad and less than a year old?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LODGE NORTH posted:

Will Apple just replace a battery if its bad and less than a year old?
If it's bad according to their diagnostic, yes, it's a free warranty replacement.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Ohhhhh snap. My 6S s definitely a poo poo.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Was there some promotion through either apple or att to trade in your 6s and get the 6se or whatever the newest one with the smaller form factor is? I can't stand the 6s.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Unlock your 6S for $25, sell it for like $600 or $700, pay off the rest of the 6S payments, get the SE.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

iPhone data usage question: why the hell would reloading the music on my phone (I noticed some tracks acting up, skipping or ending early, figured a reload would fix) would gobble up 2.5 gigs of cellular data?

This is a wired sync.

Unfortunately, the cellular data usage stats on the phone are all screwed up because I haven't reset the stats since 2013 and also haven't cared about my usage until today when I suddenly get told I'm at 90% of my data for the month.

I have 6 gigs a month, so I'm uhhh...wondering where all my data went. Is this Wifi assist pulling hijinks?

EDIT: Aaaannnd just as I post I realize what happened.

:stare: I left personal hotspot on...and I think my PC started using the hotspot. :stare:

Shiiiiiiit.

EDIT2: Super weird....Personal hotspot seemed to be stuck on...uhh.."on". I go in, I turn it off, I go back in and its on again. A powercycle seems to have fixed it.

Thank GOD today's the last day of this billing cycle. Scary.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 14, 2016

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Snuffman posted:

iPhone data usage question: why the hell would reloading the music on my phone (I noticed some tracks acting up, skipping or ending early, figured a reload would fix) would gobble up 2.5 gigs of cellular data?

This is a wired sync.

Unfortunately, the cellular data usage stats on the phone are all screwed up because I haven't reset the stats since 2013 and also haven't cared about my usage until today when I suddenly get told I'm at 90% of my data for the month.

I have 6 gigs a month, so I'm uhhh...wondering where all my data went. Is this Wifi assist pulling hijinks?

EDIT: Aaaannnd just as I post I realize what happened.

:stare: I left personal hotspot on...and I think my PC started using the hotspot. :stare:

Shiiiiiiit.

EDIT2: Super weird....Personal hotspot seemed to be stuck on...uhh.."on". I go in, I turn it off, I go back in and its on again. A powercycle seems to have fixed it.

Thank GOD today's the last day of this billing cycle. Scary.

Terrifying! I'm just glad you're ok! 😧

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
My iPhone 6 seems to make a very quiet buzzing noise when I scroll or make long touches to the screen. The screen has a dark spot/line that is about 1/3 of the length of the screen so I think something is obviously wrong with it. The buzzing is new though. I also have the off center front camera. I am out of warranty so I assume it is pretty unlikely to get this fixed by Apple?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Rubiks Pubes posted:

My iPhone 6 seems to make a very quiet buzzing noise when I scroll or make long touches to the screen. The screen has a dark spot/line that is about 1/3 of the length of the screen so I think something is obviously wrong with it. The buzzing is new though.
The battery's probably starting to bulge and press against the screen. I had a similar spot appear on my screen a few weeks ago before the screen actually started pushing out of the device. I'm guessing they'll have to do an out of warranty replacement for $299 if you go through Apple.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Anyone know why my photos seem to duplicate on my phone? I'll take one picture but a copy of it shows up in the photos.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

SMDFTB posted:

Anyone know why my photos seem to duplicate on my phone? I'll take one picture but a copy of it shows up in the photos.

Do you have the "Keep Normal Photo" option selected in the Settings -> Photos & Camera menu?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

SMDFTB posted:

Idk if this is still a thing, but Photos used to automatically sync your pictures to iCloud which would then create an iCloud album on your phone that had duplicates of everything.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
My father in law called a while back saying his 6+ was doing a weird thing where it was flipping between screens or apps constantly and he couldnt control anything on it. He later took it ti verizon to ask them who had no clue but pointed out that his phone was bent.

He pressed it hard against his leg and the phone straightened out and suddenly started working normally again. If he takes this to apple what are the chances they will replace his phone due to bending? Out of warranty / no apple care.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

SMDFTB posted:

Is HDR on? You'll get one photo with it applied and one without. You should see HDR in the corner when looking at a photo with it applied.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Keystoned posted:

My father in law called a while back saying his 6+ was doing a weird thing where it was flipping between screens or apps constantly and he couldnt control anything on it. He later took it ti verizon to ask them who had no clue but pointed out that his phone was bent.

He pressed it hard against his leg and the phone straightened out and suddenly started working normally again. If he takes this to apple what are the chances they will replace his phone due to bending? Out of warranty / no apple care.

$329 to replace it due to it being out of warranty already but if he's close to one he might as well see what they say.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Khablam posted:

Jeez.

Skipped this thread over the weekend and missed lost-phone chat. The advice given was more harmful than good. It's 2016. Your handset is worth a lot more than the calls someone might make by stealing the SIM, so getting it blocked as a first action is a bad idea.

If you lose your phone do this:

Go to iCloud
Stick it in lost mode. Ensure the message is something that would bring it back to you, based on the situation. This disables ApplePay, any calls / messages and TouchID.
[wait some time]
If nothing happens, tell it to erase on the off-chance it will reconnect at some point
Report it lost/stolen to LE/your carrier.

By doing the last step first, you can't have any reasonable chance of finding the phone.
There's no route from locked iPhone -> functioning device for a criminal as iCloud & activation locks prevent it so there's no panic to block the IMEI like there was with phones bought in 2001.

e: Find my iPhone is *on by default*

This is ancient history at this point but I did try your advice and sorry, but you're wrong.

First, I didn't say this earlier but as soon as she discovered it missing all her friends tried the find my phone app from their iPhones. They got nothing back, because we had not set it up.

Second, later that night I went to iCloud. As soon as I logged in it told me to gently caress off, as we had never set up any sort of iCloud functionality. Find my phone data is on by default, but is inaccessable without downloading and setting up the app. I even linked a page on apple's website stating exactly that in an earlier post. I'll post it again, read to the bottom. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201472 For someone who has never owned an apple product ever, this was new information. Only after trying all that did I disable it on my carrier website.

I'll say it again: For anyone using an iPhone for the first time, download and enable the find my phone app, then go to iCloud and verify it. It was the first thing we did on the replacement phone.

I just tried it again out of sheer PTSD and it worked, it pinged right on to where she is right now. So today her second iPhone stayed in her possession longer than her first one! Wish us luck. Also, the AT&T insurance provider had their own inventory of iPhones so I got an identical replacement overnight even though every apple and at&t store were out of stock in the entire SW Denver Metro area. FYI.

And of course, after enabling find my phone, the next thing she did was install Neko Atsume so she could get all her cats back. Yes my daugther is a nerd.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Find my iPhone app is a stock app now

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
What's the difference between Find My Phone app and the one in settings? I currently have it turned on in settings but do I need to be logged in to both or something?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

iLikeMidgets posted:

What's the difference between Find My Phone app and the one in settings? I currently have it turned on in settings but do I need to be logged in to both or something?

The settings switch makes that device findable. The app is for finding other devices.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

LloydDobler posted:

This is ancient history at this point but I did try your advice and sorry, but you're wrong.

First, I didn't say this earlier but as soon as she discovered it missing all her friends tried the find my phone app from their iPhones. They got nothing back, because we had not set it up.

Second, later that night I went to iCloud. As soon as I logged in it told me to gently caress off, as we had never set up any sort of iCloud functionality. Find my phone data is on by default, but is inaccessable without downloading and setting up the app. I even linked a page on apple's website stating exactly that in an earlier post. I'll post it again, read to the bottom. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201472 For someone who has never owned an apple product ever, this was new information. Only after trying all that did I disable it on my carrier website.

I'll say it again: For anyone using an iPhone for the first time, download and enable the find my phone app, then go to iCloud and verify it. It was the first thing we did on the replacement phone.

I just tried it again out of sheer PTSD and it worked, it pinged right on to where she is right now. So today her second iPhone stayed in her possession longer than her first one! Wish us luck. Also, the AT&T insurance provider had their own inventory of iPhones so I got an identical replacement overnight even though every apple and at&t store were out of stock in the entire SW Denver Metro area. FYI.

And of course, after enabling find my phone, the next thing she did was install Neko Atsume so she could get all her cats back. Yes my daugther is a nerd.

You don't need the app. You just need to make sure find my iPhone is enabled under iCloud settings and then you can access it on iCloud.com. When first setting the phone up it asks if you want to use Find my iPhone. You may have selected no on her original phone when setting it up, that's why it didn't give you that option.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

LloydDobler posted:

What? No this is again wrong. The FMIP app is the same view as FMIP on iCloud.com. You want this support page https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205362

The bottom of the page you linked to is for realizing you're SOL if you didn't turn on FMIP in iCloud settings, which you apparently did not.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Okay, so:

1) You don't need the app
2) It is NOT on by default
3) It prompts you to enable it during setup (very similar to having it on by default)
4) It is possible to skip it.

I can't remember exactly how it prompted us to enable it but it obviously got overlooked. Very likely one of those "remember to go back and figure out how to do that" things. I mean, we didn't even create an appleID until the second day after getting it, and you need an appleID to use iCloud, so that is the most likely explanation to my chain of failure. Live and learn.

Anyway, it is definitely enabled now, and hopefully this discussion proves useful to other newbies like me to double check that it's on if they want it on. I'm also over my hatred of apple, it's a great little phone.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

azzenco posted:

Took my phone in and with 795 charge cycles my battery still looked good to their diagnostic. But I had that bonus half moon front camera issue and a dim spot on the top left corner of the screen and they swapped it out with another 6 for me :dance:

I don't care what their diagnostic said about the battery but now I can use it and record 15 second videos without the battery life dropping from 60 to 13% and then when I charge it, it jumps back up to 54% or something.

I know nobody cares but I am happy I can use my phone for more than 3 hours without it dying.

I have a dim spot in the upper left corner of my 6S, I've been thinking about taking it in to see if they'll replace it. Is this a common issue on the 6/6S's?

azzenco
Jan 16, 2004

Slippery Tilde

tofes posted:

I have a dim spot in the upper left corner of my 6S, I've been thinking about taking it in to see if they'll replace it. Is this a common issue on the 6/6S's?

I saw on another thread that it was common. My replacement one doesn't have it and my 6S is fine as well but the 6S I've only had since February.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

My launch 6 had it. I thought it was from dropping it basically immediately after receiving it because the design is a lovely slippery mess, but apparently its a factory fault.

as is the facetime camera not being centred in the window on the glass, or the screen not sitting flush with the chassis.

Seriously a loving terrible design and I cannot fathom how they decided it would be at all a wise move to continue on with it into the iphone 7.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
It's weird to be so close to WWDC and the only rumour for iOS 10 is "Apple Music will be a bit less poo poo."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sounds like a pretty big announcement to me because Apple's entire music ecosystem is fundamentally broken right now.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

xzzy posted:

Sounds like a pretty big announcement to me because Apple's entire music ecosystem is fundamentally broken right now.

It would be fundamentally broken if you couldn't buy and sync stuff from iTunes, or stream and save stuff from Apple Music. It could use a lot of work, and I have a long wish list for Apple Music in iOS 10, but it's hardly "fundamentally broken" as long as you can listen to the stuff you want.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

It's weird to be so close to WWDC and the only rumour for iOS 10 is "Apple Music will be a bit less poo poo."

There's dark mode at an OS level too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
A friend gave me an iPhone 5S from their junk drawer, and I was hoping someone here might have seen the issues I'm seeing and recommend a possible resolution. I'm hoping to use it as a backup, and also as a trial to see if I would like an SE after having a 6.

• Home button is broken - The old one had a ripped ribbon right at the button itself. I replaced it, which worked but obviously breaks Touch ID. I'm wondering if I can somehow attach the original cable to a replacement home button, if that might allow Touch ID (even if it's a long shot). I know there is a "pairing" between the Touch ID unit and the motherboard, but I would expect that to be between the chips on the cable and not the sensor button itself
  • Screen/touch functionality is funky - touch works perfectly when I first turn on the screen, but eventually stops responding and/or "ghost touching". Turning the screen on/off starts the cycle over again. I would be comfortable replacing the screen assembly since I've already taken it off to check/reseat the cables, but I find it weird that it works initially and then degrades, so I'm not 100% sure the screen is the issue. I have updated to latest OS and reset multiple times, which didn't have any effect.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.