Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, it's a poor grasp of how federal bonds work. The problem isn't that the Chinese own a lot of them, it's that the fed can just print more money to repay them. Where did the money to repay the interest magically appear from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Maybe it's because I'm not from the US, but what does that even mean?

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL

Samovar posted:

Maybe it's because I'm not from the US, but what does that even mean?
"Ooh, look! Black people are *so* amusing!"

It's not the worst thing he could have said, but it shows how out-of-touch the dude is if he's never seen a black person before.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
basiacally "black people are colorful!"

which again isn't the worst thing to say it's just very "black people talk like this white people talk like this" except coming from a jive rear end turkey peckerwood honkey so it's awkward

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

You left out this awesome bit:

quote:

“I am a business owner and in business, mistake are made,” he wrote. “When a mistake has been made in my business and I have become aware of it, I have reconciled those to the best of my ability and in a timely manner. Mistakes will be made, but I have always tried to make things right.”

Curtiss claims people have unfairly maligned him and he plans to take legal action against them..

“I will not comment any further as I will not hinder the forthcoming lawsuit that is in process against those who have made false, deceitful and malicious accusations and statements against me,” he wrote.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

This phenomenon is hardly party-specific. Everyone seems to think the debt is something the Chinese will just show up and demand one day and that deficits are inherently bad

Eh yeah, I admit there's plenty of people from both parties who don't get it, it just seems that the right are the only ones who seized on this as a big dumb campaign issue.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

basiacally "black people are colorful!"

which again isn't the worst thing to say it's just very "black people talk like this white people talk like this" except coming from a jive rear end turkey peckerwood honkey so it's awkward

I suppose his opnions on the negro are a little more advanced than Cliven Bundy's.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Yeah "black people funneh" at least tacitly states he's okay with them being emancipated

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
I mean there have probably been people who couldn't enjoy minstrel-show humor because they were too racist for it. Probably not many of them though.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Eh yeah, I admit there's plenty of people from both parties who don't get it, it just seems that the right are the only ones who seized on this as a big dumb campaign issue.

It's been one of the most effective nonsense ideas of all time. Fun fact, if interest rates rise faster than bonds mature, the US actually MAKES money on our debt.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

It's been one of the most effective nonsense ideas of all time. Fun fact, if interest rates rise faster than bonds mature, the US actually MAKES money on our debt.

Yeah that's how I understand it too, that we've effectively structured things so that we get ridiculously good rates, and being the global reserve currency even if we didn't if someone tried to gently caress us with our debt it would gently caress them right back.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

theflyingorc posted:

This phenomenon is hardly party-specific. Everyone seems to think the debt is something the Chinese will just show up and demand one day and that deficits are inherently bad

Structural deficits are not great. Debt held outside the country (as opposed to inside the country) is different, economically speaking. Debt held inside the country is just an odd sort of tax - it's a transfer of wealth from various people in our economy with no real net change in what our economy can produce and to retire it nothing needs to leave the economy. Debt held outside the country is, in a sense, "real" debt: by issuing debt held by other countries we've effectively obtained goods and services from their economy, which will need to be returned in order to retire the debt (if they ever stop rolling it over).

There are people who are at the 'a little knowledge is a dangerous thing' stage who go :eng101: actually you can just print more money, but what you're doing there is effectively destroying your currency if you print money to meet debts you otherwise cannot meet. Yes, you can expand the money supply and this is often a good thing (it's what we've been doing since the financial crisis) but (a) that worked because we're expanding the money supply in response to an economic downturn where that's a necessary thing to do, as the contraction of lending and such shrinks the money supply; (b) you can only do it to a limited point and there's actually concern we've nearly exhausted the ability of monetary policy to deal with a downturn, which is a real problem if there's a second one before the Fed pulls back enough to have additional room to maneuver and (c) people know that the expansion of the money supply is not to pay the debts of the United States so they do not lose their loving minds, and they would if seniorage was actually being used to fund the government.

That we have issued debt is good for the financial system in a certain way because treasuries are now the lifeblood of the financial system, but a structural deficit (you run a deficit in good times and bad, as opposed to a deficit in bad times and a surplus in good times) isn't all that great. We get away with it because we're the world's reserve currency.

The issue though is "deficit hawks' generally don't actually care about the deficit, they care about it as a tool to eliminate spending they don't like. It would be far better to go back to the Clinton years budgets where we collect a surplus in boom times and then run a deficit in bad times, but that's not happening until Republicans lose the House.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Denbts are bad but also good.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

evilweasel posted:

Structural deficits are not great. Debt held outside the country (as opposed to inside the country) is different, economically speaking. Debt held inside the country is just an odd sort of tax - it's a transfer of wealth from various people in our economy with no real net change in what our economy can produce and to retire it nothing needs to leave the economy. Debt held outside the country is, in a sense, "real" debt: by issuing debt held by other countries we've effectively obtained goods and services from their economy, which will need to be returned in order to retire the debt (if they ever stop rolling it over).

There are people who are at the 'a little knowledge is a dangerous thing' stage who go :eng101: actually you can just print more money, but what you're doing there is effectively destroying your currency if you print money to meet debts you otherwise cannot meet. Yes, you can expand the money supply and this is often a good thing (it's what we've been doing since the financial crisis) but (a) that worked because we're expanding the money supply in response to an economic downturn where that's a necessary thing to do, as the contraction of lending and such shrinks the money supply; (b) you can only do it to a limited point and there's actually concern we've nearly exhausted the ability of monetary policy to deal with a downturn, which is a real problem if there's a second one before the Fed pulls back enough to have additional room to maneuver and (c) people know that the expansion of the money supply is not to pay the debts of the United States so they do not lose their loving minds, and they would if seniorage was actually being used to fund the government.

That we have issued debt is good for the financial system in a certain way because treasuries are now the lifeblood of the financial system, but a structural deficit (you run a deficit in good times and bad, as opposed to a deficit in bad times and a surplus in good times) isn't all that great. We get away with it because we're the world's reserve currency.

The issue though is "deficit hawks' generally don't actually care about the deficit, they care about it as a tool to eliminate spending they don't like. It would be far better to go back to the Clinton years budgets where we collect a surplus in boom times and then run a deficit in bad times, but that's not happening until Republicans lose the House.

I'm in the "inflation targeting is a thing the Fed should do as a modest priority" camp, but otherwise this is a pretty nice little primer.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Volcott posted:

Denbts are bad but also good.

Now you see why it's so hard to get people to stop thinking about it so simply.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

evilweasel posted:

So all we need to do to achieve economic prosperity is conquer the entire world?

Xythe
Aug 4, 2010

Stop getting mad at video games. No stop insulting his mother what is wrong with you.
Well, it couldn't hurt

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Meanwhile, Pete Santilli has made a shocking discovery!

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/731915637572947969

Oh.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is he somehow out of prison?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Regular Nintendo posted:

Is he somehow out of prison?

No, but the SovCit article linked in the tweet did helpfully provide the prison mailing address for him.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

CaptainSarcastic posted:

No, but the SovCit article linked in the tweet did helpfully provide the prison mailing address for him.

brb buying sugar free gummy stock

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Knight posted:

Meanwhile, Pete Santilli has made a shocking discovery!

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/731915637572947969

Oh.

quote:

Barack Hussein Obama Soetoro Sobarkah

lol

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Epic High Five posted:

brb buying sugar free gummy stock

sugar free gummy dildos

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Gubmint cheese shaped like a dick with a note saying "create joinder"

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
MacNab has a further rundown of the history of how Nevada got its shape, but the funniest part has to be that the Constitution of Nevada specifically sets three things in the beginning: slavery is prohibited, freedom of religious worship, and...

quote:

That the people inhabiting said territory do agree and declare, that they forever disclaim all right and title to the unappropriated public lands lying within said territory, and that the same shall be and remain at the sole and entire disposition of the United States
https://www.leg.state.nv.us/const/nvconst.html

How many times can a legal defense fall back on "didn't read, lol"?

Barack Hussein Obama Soetoro Sobarkah
lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OucgRulTW2Q

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Knight posted:

MacNab has a further rundown of the history of how Nevada got its shape, but the funniest part has to be that the Constitution of Nevada specifically sets three things in the beginning: slavery is prohibited, freedom of religious worship, and...
https://www.leg.state.nv.us/const/nvconst.html

How many times can a legal defense fall back on "didn't read, lol"?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OucgRulTW2Q

Wasn't this because of the Mormons being at war with the feds all those years ago?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

"Barack Hussein Obama Soetoro Sobarkah"

if they can just trick him into saying it himself i think he gets teleported back to kenya

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Otisburg posted:

"Barack Hussein Obama Soetoro Sobarkah"

if they can just trick him into saying it himself i think he gets teleported back to kenya

He has to say it backwards

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Wasn't this because of the Mormons being at war with the feds all those years ago?

Guess what religion Ammon Bundy and friends belong to!

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Granted, the guy is a D-List True American Patriot, but hopefully he will encourage others to do the same:

""The Oregonian" posted:

U.S. District Judge Anna J. Brown, after a lengthy discussion of the risks Patrick faces, allowed him to be his own lawyer, but overruled his objection to having a standby attorney and appointed Andrew Kohlmetz to serve in that role.

Brown said she was protecting Patrick's interests.

"I don't consent to standby counsel,'' Patrick told her.

"You don't have to consent,'' Brown replied.

[...]

Patrick, a 44-year-old roofer from Georgia, was arrested at a checkpoint outside the refuge on Jan. 27, a day after state police and the FBI arrested the occupation leaders during a traffic stop on the way to John Day.

The judge asked Patrick if he could abide by court directions and accept court rulings without making outbursts as he's done in her courtroom in the past.

"Do you think you're able to do that?'' she asked.

"Yes,'' Patrick answered.

"From my observations in which you've spoken out of turn in court before, you demonstrate a lack of knowledge and awareness of the rules of how a criminal proceeding goes,'' Brown said. "There's going to be rulings you don't agree with. You will not be allowed to speak out about it. That requires discipline, and it puts you at risk if you don't observe it.''

The judge referred to a Feb. 24 court hearing when Patrick, asked if he understood his constitutional rights, replied, "I understand I have no rights at all. You're the federal government. You're going to do whatever you want.''

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

point of return posted:

Guess what religion Ammon Bundy and friends belong to!

I really have a goddamn allergy to mormon poo poo after bring brought up with it. LOADS of goddamn bullshit that belonged with all the excrement that being peddled as sexual education and gender roles. I am really glad I fell into a bunch of accepting poly/whatever doesn't violate consent people.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Grognan posted:

I really have a goddamn allergy to mormon poo poo after bring brought up with it. LOADS of goddamn bullshit that belonged with all the excrement that being peddled as sexual education and gender roles. I am really glad I fell into a bunch of accepting poly/whatever doesn't violate consent people.

So do modern day Mormons actively talk about how Native Americans are actually Jewish people who canoed to America 2500 years ago and black people are angels who were conscientious objectors in the war in heaven, and Abraham wrote the Book of the Dead? Or is that stuff usually just ignored?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

The title "Johnathan's of Matthews Family Restaurant" is triggering the hell out of me right now.

I'm hoping there is a bizzare historical reason where the grammar makes sense like the apostrophe in Carl's Junior.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Baron Porkface posted:

I'm hoping there is a bizzare historical reason where the grammar makes sense like the apostrophe in Carl's Junior.

Jonathan's Restaurant in the town Matthews.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

cumshitter posted:

Granted, the guy is a D-List True American Patriot, but hopefully he will encourage others to do the same:

You can really feel the pouting from this guy that the judge isn't letting him give what he's sure is his brilliant defense.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

So do modern day Mormons actively talk about how Native Americans are actually Jewish people who canoed to America 2500 years ago and black people are angels who were conscientious objectors in the war in heaven, and Abraham wrote the Book of the Dead? Or is that stuff usually just ignored?

Buddy of mine is both Jewish and Native American, and his wife's family is Mormon. His sister-in-law did once tell him that he was actually Jewish on both sides.

Anecdotal, but there you go.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

It has been some years since I bothered boning up on the current poo poo, but that was the way it stood when I left.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

cumshitter posted:

To be fair if he's a 44 year old roofer there's a good chance he's mentally challenged. Nobody that age should be doing that job.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Usually just ignored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Years ago I stumbled on some forum for ex-Mormons. I wish I'd bookmarked it, the stories people were telling were pretty interesting. Stuff like Stake Leaders pressuring them into tithing and calling it "fire-insurance" or how apparently Mormons will track you down the same way Scientologists do for the rest of your life. The people there said it was pretty common for the local Stake to get your information and send out a member with baked goods in an attempt to talk you back into the faith and the only way to stop this was to send a formal letter of resignation to the head list keeping office in Utah.

Anything like that ever happen to you or are those cases unique?