Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Batman: Activate the Knightfall Protocol.

Me: [under my breath, shaking my fists a bit] Arkham Beyond, Arkham Beyond...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

berryjon posted:

So... where did Harley go? She was in the Studios with Robin, now she's vanished into aether a plot hole. And it's nice to see that despite everything else, it's not even a consideration in that sequence that she could die. Everyone else is fair game, but her? Off limits.

She's still there and has a bunch of new lines, since she watched Crane nab Robin. Scruffy just didn't talk to her.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Waffleman_ posted:

Batman: Activate the Knightfall Protocol.

Me: [under my breath, shaking my fists a bit] Arkham Beyond, Arkham Beyond...

I wish.

Also hahaha I love how you updated your av and it's even more glorious.

edit: My favoirte part of that cutscene is Batman saying: What's wrong? Scared? :smug:

That just pure smug in all it's glory. Pissed off smug. But smug nonetheless.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 15, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It strikes me, of all superheroes, Batman is probably one of the ones least affected by being unmasked. Like, he has no real family, all his friends and allies are known associates of Batman already and already targets for his enemies, and his company and public persona are already major targets for criminals just because Waynetech is swimming in money and generously funding law enforcement to stop them anyway.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Omobono posted:

[nitpick] And you don't waste the vengeance line on a side-villain inside an hallucination. Hell, you even have a similar setup here with Crane, have him taunt Bruce about Martha and Thomas.[/nitpick]

That's how it was done originally, though. He never said it to Scarecrow. He said it to the hallucination of his worst fear, which was letting down his father at the time.

Night10194 posted:

It strikes me, of all superheroes, Batman is probably one of the ones least affected by being unmasked.

Couldn't his company go under? Not to mention the possible lawsuits that could go against him.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Couldn't his company go under? Not to mention the possible lawsuits that could go against him.

True, they could take away his most important superpower of unlimited money for his hobby.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That's how it was done originally, though. He never said it to Scarecrow. He said it to the hallucination of his worst fear, which was letting down his father at the time.

Yep, but it wasn't an iconic line at the time.
Now it's iconic, so if you use it at all, if you cash in that nostalgia chip, I'd say it's better to use on the (ostensibly) main villain.
(:goonsay: of course. It's an incredibly minor complaint, I just wanted to rant a bit about the Jokerjack)

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?

Omobono posted:

Yep, but it wasn't an iconic line at the time.
Now it's iconic, so if you use it at all, if you cash in that nostalgia chip, I'd say it's better to use on the (ostensibly) main villain.
(:goonsay: of course. It's an incredibly minor complaint, I just wanted to rant a bit about the Jokerjack)

The line isn't really for other people though? Like it's Batman reasserting himself to himself.

E: Batman on national tv, unmasked, ranting about how he's the scary big batman would be the silliest thing.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

So congratulations to Scarecrow for beating Batman. He's done it. Batman is dead.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Huh, a bit of main plot that was genuinely entertaining and not cringe inducing.
Where was this the rest of the game?

Scarecrow curing Bruce of his Jokerjack disease while trying to break the bat on live tv was super funny. That and Bruce/Gordin/Robin/Red Hood's complete lack of interest in the tv broadcast after scarecrow was apprehended.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

One thing that's actually kind of interesting is each of the villains shown here represent a part of Bruce/Batman's personality. At least that's how I read it. Penguin is the small child who uses money to fix his problems; The Riddler is his intelligence and Two-face is of course his sense of Justice. Each one is lost before the madness that would be the Bat-Joker.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
One big note on how the game is implemented: pretty much every character from every sidequest and every environment in the game has entirely different lines for the postgame, now that the secret of Batman's identity is out. In particular, with the exceptions of Man-Bat and Hush (Wayne tower is locked down), every single villain reacts to the news as part of their dialogue.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Omobono posted:

And you don't waste the vengeance line on a side-villain inside an hallucination.

Last time he used it, he used it on a blimp. v:v:v

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Two Face and Penguin have completely different conversations in the Batmobile, too.

Lord_Magmar posted:

One thing that's actually kind of interesting is each of the villains shown here represent a part of Bruce/Batman's personality. At least that's how I read it. Penguin is the small child who uses money to fix his problems; The Riddler is his intelligence and Two-face is of course his sense of Justice. Each one is lost before the madness that would be the Bat-Joker.

What about Croc?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

What about Croc?

Lust for violence?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Alexeythegreat posted:

Lust for violence?

Whoooooooooooooooooo!?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The parallels between villains and batman have less to do with the game's choices than that it's been a routine approach to developing Batman villains over the years. Many batman villains, successful or not, have been sort of "evil twins" of bruce or batman as their backstory and motivations.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
What happens if you put off doing the Hush sidequest at all until the postgame?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Fedule posted:

That one is like very scripted, so yeah doesn't matter if you did the last story mission or not. It's kinda like it's own separate thing.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Fedule posted:

Not much changes- Eliot locked the building down and has been holed up in Wayne's office with Fox, incommunicado. There are still a couple line changes, particularly with Fox afterward and Alfred before.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

Not much changes- Eliot locked the building down and has been holed up in Wayne's office with Fox, incommunicado. There are still a couple line changes, particularly with Fox afterward and Alfred before.

I would guess the beforehand is "Master Bruce, be careful, he may know who you are" and the after is "I can't believe he didn't already know"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

thecluckmeme posted:

I would guess the beforehand is "Master Bruce, be careful, he may know who you are" and the after is "I can't believe he didn't already know"

Nah, Alfred anticipates it since the lockdown is known- at that point, Elliot's presence is not.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

I'll give the game this, its sound design is really something to behold. So much detail put into the voice work and the sheer number of lines in the game, even for small time thugs. I don't think we've heard very many repeat lines over the course of this playthrough.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
This might be me misremembering something over the couple of months/years of gameplay scruffy has so helpfully demonstrated to us, but haven't we seen the old "Batman's worst fear is becoming Joker, but Joker's worst fear is Batman" trope been played out before? I get the weirdest sense of deja vu that we've gone over that plot point before in an Arkham game...

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I may have missed one of the game's highly nuanced plot points in that last video but am I correct in assuming that it was dead-Robin who was tracking us and t-boned the truck we were in? But then why did whoever took the trouble to try and break us out leave us to be recaptured in another, identical truck while we went through our symbolic internal struggle? Was it so he could show up later and perform his two bitchin' trick shots before taking off again?

Too bad he didn't show up a little sooner to save Tim from being gut shot, kinda a dick move there dead-Robin.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I may have missed one of the game's highly nuanced plot points in that last video but am I correct in assuming that it was dead-Robin who was tracking us and t-boned the truck we were in?

Nope, the t-bone was part of the nightmare.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Ah, okay, I wasn't sure where one dream sequence ended and the other began.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

This might be me misremembering something over the couple of months/years of gameplay scruffy has so helpfully demonstrated to us, but haven't we seen the old "Batman's worst fear is becoming Joker, but Joker's worst fear is Batman" trope been played out before? I get the weirdest sense of deja vu that we've gone over that plot point before in an Arkham game...

I thought it was pretty clear Joker's fear isn't Batman, it's being forgotten. Joker loves the hell out of Batman, it's Scarecrow that is afraid of Batman.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
No, I get in the fear sequence in the latest video Joker's fear was being forgotten, but I could have sworn we did a bit at some point where Batman lost control because of the fear toxin and then Joker lost control back to Batman because of his fear? Or am I imagining things?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

No, I get in the fear sequence in the latest video Joker's fear was being forgotten, but I could have sworn we did a bit at some point where Batman lost control because of the fear toxin and then Joker lost control back to Batman because of his fear? Or am I imagining things?

I think you're imagining things. Nothing like that has happened in any of the previous games that I can think of, though I wouldn't be surprised if something similar happened in comics.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
So Crane has shat his entire plan and reputation to hell by not only becoming a total laughing stock in front of the world, first basically making the most dangerous Batman ever by accident and then effectively making Batman immune now to I guess fear itself at this point again on accident(not to mention never noticing how HE loving HAD PUPIL COLOR CHANGES BETWEEN DOSES), being betrayed by the stool pigeon that fed him his information, and screaming like a little baby live on TV; but he also made the Batman legend stronger than ever. The first thing Batman does, technically as joker as far as we know, is just laugh at his stupid monologue between threatening rants. He takes off Batman's Mask and Bruce just says get ready for the encore and belts out a very familiar laugh. What I'm saying is this incident should be a meme for like a year in the in-game arkham world.

SaffronKit posted:

I thought it was pretty clear Joker's fear isn't Batman, it's being forgotten. Joker loves the hell out of Batman, it's Scarecrow that is afraid of Batman.

Yeah, the Joker figment is scared of even Batman finally putting him down and forgetting about him because he doesn't need him to think like Joker because the real deal is dead and gone. But it's funny that even after getting almost eaten by Krock, Johnathan Crane is afraid of batman and that's why he wants his legend to die. Because he thinks that's what would make him not scary anymore, only Batman doesn't give a gently caress and that's why his legend is invincible. 3 billion dollars and your biggest fear is even stronger and Crane is a loving quivering mess for like the maybe year at most before his treason trial and execution.

And if this is the end of Batman, well, what's to stop the Justice System from finally putting down his bad guys?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Crabtree posted:

And if this is the end of Batman, well, what's to stop the Justice System from finally putting down his bad guys?

Arkham Resurrection, starring Dick Grayson as Batman, Damian Wayne as Robin, and Bruce Wayne as Batman 1/3 of the way through the plot. Waynejacked!

Captian Nuke
Aug 5, 2012
I do kind of love that one of Jokers fears is Riddler and Harley hooking up.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Captian Nuke posted:

I do kind of love that one of Jokers fears is Riddler and Harley hooking up.

I think its more about Harley forgetting about Mister J than Joker having some fear about the Riddler.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Man if I were Batman I'd be kinda pissed about Red Hood showing up riiight after my secret was revealed to the world. I want a bonus scene where after Batman injects Crane, he just turns to Jason and goes "Really? NOW is when you make your face turn? Ugh... oh hey Tim are you alright?"

So side question, does re-collecting your utility belt do anything like prevent you from getting in the truck or do you get to do sweet gadget takedowns on the Jokers

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

TwoPair posted:

So side question, does re-collecting your utility belt do anything like prevent you from getting in the truck or do you get to do sweet gadget takedowns on the Jokers

Re-collecting the utility belt will lock the truck doors, no toys where we're going :v:

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
Now I kinda wonder if you could have just blasted Nigma's face with the shotgun while he held the hostage. Probably not.

Honestly, that finishing act felt more than a little rushed. It had some amazing setpieces and references (and the Killing Joke was perfect), but Crabtree's right about how the story has been resolved. If anything, Crane hosed up in the most spectacular and public way, and somehow Jason felt it necessary to help now. Especially after the other Arkham games, this feels off.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Not exactly, but the game's climax draws a parallel to events that transpire over the course of the entire series. In each, Batman is injected with a poison and overcomes it and what it represents. In the first game, Batman overcame an injection of Titan that Joker had shot him with just before the (anti)climactic bossfight.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Dinictus posted:

Now I kinda wonder if you could have just blasted Nigma's face with the shotgun while he held the hostage. Probably not.

Yes, actually. The hostage and Penguin can be spared.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Too bad he didn't show up a little sooner to save Tim from being gut shot, kinda a dick move there dead-Robin.

Pretty sure Jason is still a little sore over the replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Crabtree posted:

So Crane has shat his entire plan and reputation to hell by not only becoming a total laughing stock in front of the world, first basically making the most dangerous Batman ever by accident and then effectively making Batman immune now to I guess fear itself at this point again on accident(not to mention never noticing how HE loving HAD PUPIL COLOR CHANGES BETWEEN DOSES), being betrayed by the stool pigeon that fed him his information, and screaming like a little baby live on TV; but he also made the Batman legend stronger than ever. The first thing Batman does, technically as joker as far as we know, is just laugh at his stupid monologue between threatening rants. He takes off Batman's Mask and Bruce just says get ready for the encore and belts out a very familiar laugh. What I'm saying is this incident should be a meme for like a year in the in-game arkham world.

Disagree: If you look at the TVs during the freakout him knocking over the camera ends the broadcast; no one sees what happens next. Also, revealing that Bruce Wayne is Batman effectively kills Batman. He can't do what he does anymore without actual repercussions.

Scarecrow won. :colbert: It was a Pyrrhic victory for him, but he accomplished his overall goal; end Batman.

• Locked thread