Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My sister went to school with one of Danny Rollings victims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Highlight:

quote:

One university official wildly speculated she was looking for a “sugar daddy” in the physics lab, which would make about as much sense as searching for pearls in a lobster.

Ben Murphy
Sep 9, 2001

I like him in spite of the fact that he's not me.
Been reading this thread from the begining, easily the most interesting discussion on the forums in some time. Thanks to everyone who contributed and researched. I've gotten countless hours of interesting reads and stories out of it.

With that in mind, I don't think anyone's mentioned the story of Lyle Stevik or they have and my memory is as good as SA's search function:

https://whokilledwho.org/2015/05/09/the-peculiar-case-of-lyle-stevik/

Young guy, gets a hotel room in Washington a week after the September 11th attacks and hangs himself with a belt.

He's clean cut, no immediately recognizable accent, no identifying papers, no one ever notices him missing. He brings just enough money for the room and an extra day. He choses to check into the room with fake, misspelled name of a character from a Joyce Carol Oate’s book, You Must Remember This. He leaves only two notes written in block letters FOR THE ROOM and the word SUICIDE.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Ben Murphy posted:

Been reading this thread from the begining, easily the most interesting discussion on the forums in some time. Thanks to everyone who contributed and researched. I've gotten countless hours of interesting reads and stories out of it.

With that in mind, I don't think anyone's mentioned the story of Lyle Stevik or they have and my memory is as good as SA's search function:

Young guy, gets a hotel room in Washington a week after the September 11th attacks and hangs himself with a belt.

He's clean cut, no immediately recognizable accent, no identifying papers, no one ever notices him missing. He brings just enough money for the room and an extra day. He choses to check into the room with fake, misspelled name of a character from a Joyce Carol Oate’s book, You Must Remember This. He leaves only two notes written in block letters FOR THE ROOM and the word SUICIDE.

I think he may have killed himself. Can't tell for sure given the evidence available

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ben Murphy posted:

cool

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
That facial reconstruction is creepy as gently caress.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

That blog writeup is really goddamn creepy.

Ben Murphy
Sep 9, 2001

I like him in spite of the fact that he's not me.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

That blog writeup is really goddamn creepy.

That's the part that got me interested in the case. How can we know and infer so much from someone who seemed to want to be anonymous and no one have a clue who he is or report the guy missing. He wasn't some strung out junky. Clean cut, fashionable clothing, apparently healthy, had dental work done at least once in his life and and an appendix scar, polite enough to leave money for hotel for the extra days, but decides to off myself in such a calulcated manner knowing he'll be found the next day? The promixmity of the 9/11 attacks, his non-American heritage, and the address for a random hotel in Idaho that no one there noticed him at just make the whole thing so bizarre.

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

The Canadians replied that they would rather ride a moose.
Not that odd really. Suicidal depression is no respector of class, race or wealth. Dude probably had self-esteem so low that he just wanted to disappear off the map without too much of a fuss. If he was of Japanese descent he may well not have wanted his family to find out or be identified because of the stigma. He knew that whoever found him would have a really lovely day so he left some extra money. The guy just wanted to slip off the planet quietly :smith:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yeah, he was just a polite depressed guy who wanted to die and succeeded. It's very common for suicides to be very concerned with not traumatizing or inconveniencing others with their deaths. There are 39,000 suicides in the us every year.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Jack Gladney posted:

Yeah, he was just a polite depressed guy who wanted to die and succeeded. It's very common for suicides to be very concerned with not traumatizing or inconveniencing others with their deaths. There are 39,000 suicides in the us every year.

That's why Aokigahara is such a popular place to do yourself in, it's incredibly quiet and isolated feeling.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Axeman Jim posted:

Not that odd really. Suicidal depression is no respector of class, race or wealth. Dude probably had self-esteem so low that he just wanted to disappear off the map without too much of a fuss. If he was of Japanese descent he may well not have wanted his family to find out or be identified because of the stigma. He knew that whoever found him would have a really lovely day so he left some extra money. The guy just wanted to slip off the planet quietly :smith:

Yeah, but clean, smart clothing and healthy kinda says otherwise than suicidal depression. Isn't tiredness a symptom? Why come to NY, why not off himself in Idaho?

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Yeah, but clean, smart clothing and healthy kinda says otherwise than suicidal depression. Isn't tiredness a symptom?

No, no it does not. Depression isn't a symptom of being a slob.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Yeah, but clean, smart clothing and healthy kinda says otherwise than suicidal depression. Isn't tiredness a symptom? Why come to NY, why not off himself in Idaho?

You pretty clearly know nothing about suicide and/or depression.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
It's well known that depression is very obvious to see which is why nobody is ever surprised when depressed people commit suicide and never say things like "But he always seemed so affable and cheerful"

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

AnonSpore posted:

It's well known that depression is very obvious to see which is why nobody is ever surprised when depressed people commit suicide and never say things like "But he always seemed so affable and cheerful"

I am never surprised when someone commits suicide which might in itself be a symptom of depression. :ohdear:

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Post poste posted:

Being a slob is sometimes a symptom of depression.

Think I like it better this way.

13Pandora13 posted:

You pretty clearly know nothing about suicide and/or depression.

Pretty sure my shrink does though.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
how about this: you're ALL experts on depression

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Pretty sure my shrink does though.

You'd think so, but here we are.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
Not to mention there are people who kill themselves for reasons other than depression.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Interesting case, but the blog writer doesn't seem very good at profiling. From two short notes you gather he doesn't read literature? Wtf.

Also, I'd suggest that a reason for the misspelled name would be that he had read the book in translation.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

china bot posted:

how about this: you're ALL experts on depression

Yay!

Aww.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

pookel posted:

Interesting case, but the blog writer doesn't seem very good at profiling.

Creepy weirdos writing Creative Writing 101 poo poo about cases they're obsessed with is the reason I don't follow blogs about unsolved murders/disappearances. In the absence of actual information these guys just let their imaginations run wild, and it's really weird.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They have this weird obsession with playing tv detective that is really irritating and creepy. They act like the storytelling rules of Law and Order will apply to real life and keep presuming a twist ending following from weird evidence. The worst is when they try to link famous unidentified bodies to famous disappearances just because that would tie their fun hobby up in a little bow.

I hope to god these people never try to any family members involved in any of these cases while they're playing supersleuth PI.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Axeman Jim posted:

The guy just wanted to slip off the planet quietly :smith:

It's not like you want to hurt anyone so you plan it all out.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
This guy was a Furrner so obviously he was involved in something nefarious.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Guys what if the letters S U I C I D E are some sort of code... like the Taman Shud case... the truth is out there

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

pookel posted:

Interesting case, but the blog writer doesn't seem very good at profiling. From two short notes you gather he doesn't read literature? Wtf.

Also, I'd suggest that a reason for the misspelled name would be that he had read the book in translation.

Well I don't know about you, but when I leave money in a motel room to pay for the extra nights after I hang myself, I ALWAYS make sure to make the note as detailed and eloquent as possible eg
"Dear sirs and madams,
How are you? I am not well, haha.
The one-hundred US dollars you see before you is to pay the fee for the supposed length of time between now and when you find me.
I didn't want there to be any confusion!
Sincerely, the dead guy in the closet."

Not just "For the room," that could mean ANYTHING!

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

The Endbringer posted:

Not just "For the room," that could mean ANYTHING!

I think he was stating his reason for killing himself. Maybe it was a really lovely motel.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

Guys what if the letters S U I C I D E are some sort of code... like the Taman Shud case... the truth is out there

What if that last letter isn't an E at all? What if he lost consciousness before he could finish the letter implicating the real murderer?

"Stevik = Unsuspecting Innocent. Crime Is Definite: Bush Did 9/11"

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I normally wouldn't get creeped out with a very slightly retouched autopsy photo for a "facial reconstruction" but there's something in this that makes me uneasy.

The original one (possibly :nms:)
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-lHA6N-UxNXM/U2ben1kNIVI/AAAAAAAAA2M/DIxJ-qJ5yYI/s1600/Lyle1.jpg

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Negrostrike posted:

I normally wouldn't get creeped out with a very slightly retouched autopsy photo for a "facial reconstruction" but there's something in this that makes me uneasy.

The original one (possibly :nms:)
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-lHA6N-UxNXM/U2ben1kNIVI/AAAAAAAAA2M/DIxJ-qJ5yYI/s1600/Lyle1.jpg

It's incredible that the original autopsy photo is somehow less creepy-looking than the retouched photo. Helps that the autopsy photo is actually looking at the camera.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
XOJane may be one of the worst websites in the entire world. I don't know how brain dead their editors are to have okayed an article like this:

EXTREME :nms: WARNING IT HAPPENED TO ME: I Dated an Unregistered Sex Offender Who Wanted to Involve My 7-Year-Old in Our Sex Life

This article is unbelievably worse than the scenario I was imagining based on the title. It is truly disturbing how far this woman allowed the blatantly inappropriate sexual behavior to escalate before she finally decided to break it off and contact the police. I don't think a person like this should have custody of a child. Please read the article before telling me I'm being harsh.

What's even worse is they let the author publish a super-defensive followup article after she got blasted in the first article's comment section: http://www.xojane.com/issues/most-hated-mom-on-xojane

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Creator of the Code Napoleon
Conqueror of the Ziggy Piggy

FourLeaf posted:

XOJane may be one of the worst websites in the entire world. I don't know how brain dead their editors are to have okayed an article like this:

EXTREME :nms: WARNING IT HAPPENED TO ME: I Dated an Unregistered Sex Offender Who Wanted to Involve My 7-Year-Old in Our Sex Life

This article is unbelievably worse than the scenario I was imagining based on the title. It is truly disturbing how far this woman allowed the blatantly inappropriate sexual behavior to escalate before she finally decided to break it off and contact the police. I don't think a person like this should have custody of a child. Please read the article before telling me I'm being harsh.

What's even worse is they let the author publish a super-defensive followup article after she got blasted in the first article's comment section: http://www.xojane.com/issues/most-hated-mom-on-xojane

After I read the cat hair in the vagina article from there, I just realized it's STDH in blog/zine form.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Bonapartisan posted:

After I read the cat hair in the vagina article from there, I just realized it's STDH in blog/zine form.

God I loving hope so.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
I was all fit to chime in with some stuff about love being blind, but that woman is dumb as poo poo. The guy won't tell you where he lives, bombards you with nude pics and harasses you to send ones back - what is broken inside you that makes you take this guy out of the Skeevy as gently caress category and put him into the Appropriate Person to have around my Daughter one? Dude loving blew on her to see more of her tits on their first loving date.

Even ignoring all the crazy poo poo once they started properly dating, what the gently caress was she thinking? A friend of mine has a daughter about the same age and if anyone brought her up in the same sentence as sex, she'd kick them out. I know dating can be pretty hard for single mothers but you've got to engage your brain at some point.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

FourLeaf has a new favorite as of 01:56 on Jul 27, 2017

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Women are pretty well conditioned to put up with creepy poo poo from dudes or else get beat up or worse, so I'd give her at least a little of the benefit of the doubt.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

FourLeaf has a new favorite as of 01:57 on Jul 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

packetmantis posted:

Women are pretty well conditioned to put up with creepy poo poo from dudes or else get beat up or worse, so I'd give her at least a little of the benefit of the doubt.

The world is a lovely place but if this is in any way your experience get help. Get to a woman's shelter immediately and get a gun.