Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
I know people tend to hate on the fextra life wiki but the maps they have available are really quite useful, especially for more confusing areas like the Forbidden Woods in Bloodborne or Farron Keep. They make it a lot easier to keep track of where you've been and which items you've gotten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Viperix posted:

Someone earlier was asking about a Greatshield/Greatweapon run. What are everyone's favorite giant gently caress-off great weapons?

Greataxe. You can get it in High Wall and it's a fuckin' super smashy weapon. You can swap it out for a couple boss weapons lategame (Dragonslayer Greataxe or Yhorm's Machete) if you want, but it's a solid weapon that will absolutely take you through the whole game.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Obligatum VII posted:

Parrying just doesn't have any real drawbacks. You don't really leave yourself open for any extended period of time. The risk Vs Reward is way out of whack. Sure, you manage to mess with their timing and get a hit or two through. Chances are, they just need ONE parry and that's it. The fight is over, they won. And they have multiple healthbars with which to try to get that singular parry thanks to estus.

Frankly, I'd advise keeping an unparryable weapon on hand when you run into someone trying parries. Nothing ruins their day like a 1-2 2-handed combo with the dragonslayer axe. if you're fast on the weapon swap, they may even foolishly attempt to parry, having expected a different weapon.

Personally, I would've made a failed parry open up the would-be parryer to a riposte themselves. Now the stakes are equal on both sides.

Parrying is plenty punishable. If your opponent predicts your parry attempt they can just run around behind you for a free backstab.

Viperix posted:

Someone earlier was asking about a Greatshield/Greatweapon run. What are everyone's favorite giant gently caress-off great weapons?

Great club is fantastic. You can get it pretty early on (from the Watchdog of Farron wielding it in the swamp), it has quite good damage (A scaling in str when made Heavy), and really good r2s. It's the same sort of move as the large club 1handed heavy from Dark Souls, if you were a fan of that weapon; a very powerful horizontal swing with incredibly reach and tracking.

Lothric Knight Greatsword is also amazing. Overall one of the best ultra greatswords movesets, has about the same physical damage as most of them with the addition of some lightning damage on top (which can be further enhanced with gold pine resin or lightning blade), and can be gotten quite early if you're willing to kill dancer early and farm the lothric knight wielding it at the start of the castle.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 16, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Obligatum VII posted:

Frankly, I'd advise keeping an unparryable weapon on hand when you run into someone trying parries. Nothing ruins their day like a 1-2 2-handed combo with the dragonslayer axe. if you're fast on the weapon swap, they may even foolishly attempt to parry, having expected a different weapon.

Personally, I would've made a failed parry open up the would-be parryer to a riposte themselves. Now the stakes are equal on both sides.

It is a shame that outside of Whips, keeping an unparyable weapon on hand can be quite a stat/weight investment. And I say this as a guy who already loves to shove something into all 6 weapon slots.

At the very least on your way through NG. I suppose it's less of an issue at SL 120 (and not trying to run a caster), where a Dragonslayer great axe is now given as an example of something you keep on hand, just in case :v:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Stayed away from the thread for most of the time since I wanted to spoil as little as possible and just beat it. Just a few things off the top of my head

Npc quests are poo poo and nonsensical and from should have done a much better job on them
Found instances of textures not loaded in and makes it seem sloppy and rushed
Online really hosed and I don't know how From allowed it in like the fifth game of the series
Sorcery builds really seem to be at a disadvantage and should have been balanced much better
Poise really hosed up and that seems to be a factor throughout the thread
I wish they would make less weapons. Having 45 different weapons seems like overkill and I never messed with infusing them
Overall I was really looking forward to this game and it was a good end for the series but as a standalone entry it just seemed like lot of missteps and failure to learn from the past

9/10

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Genocyber posted:

Parrying is plenty punishable. If your opponent predicts your parry attempt they can just run around behind you for a free backstab.

I have never seen this happen and I don't think it is actually possible. At least not with a Caestus or buckler, which is what everyone doing parry fishing is using. Their recovery on the parry simply isn't long enough.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Section Z posted:

It is a shame that outside of Whips, keeping an unparyable weapon on hand can be quite a stat/weight investment. And I say this as a guy who already loves to shove something into all 6 weapon slots.

At the very least on your way through NG. I suppose it's less of an issue at SL 120 (and not trying to run a caster), where a Dragonslayer great axe is now given as an example of something you keep on hand, just in case :v:

Well, I suggested that one because I like it. But a plain old greataxe achieves the same effect and you can get one in the High Wall. Still rather heavy though, not going to dispute that.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Obligatum VII posted:

I have never seen this happen and I don't think it is actually possible.

It is definitely possible, just extremely risky. Just run straight at them, hope they parry, then run around, turn and backstab. The problem is backstabs do terrible damage and the risk of just running in close range of someone with an unreactable weapon is you'll eat more damage than your backstab would've done.

The other thing is to mix up running/jump attacks, or using delayed charge R2s.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
I rang the bell and realized I cannot summon to help fight king of the storm. Is that un-doable somehow? Or am I stuck fighting this bird-rider by myself for this playthrough?

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

It is definitely possible, just extremely risky. Just run straight at them, hope they parry, then run around, turn and backstab. The problem is backstabs do terrible damage and the risk of just running in close range of someone with an unreactable weapon is you'll eat more damage than your backstab would've done.

The other thing is to mix up running/jump attacks, or using delayed charge R2s.

well yeah, I guess if you pray they parry instead of just hitting you because their parry comes out fast enough that they can actually see if you're going to attack or not. But that would require them to be exceptionally stupid. It's impossible to do if they happened to miss a parry on an attack you did was my point.

Regarding mixing up attacks, this goes back to my earlier point with how it generally is only going to take 1 parry and you're dead. Depending on the weapon and whether they're packing the hornet ring (this will be 90% of the time, across all level ranges).

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cobalt60 posted:

I rang the bell and realized I cannot summon to help fight king of the storm. Is that un-doable somehow? Or am I stuck fighting this bird-rider by myself for this playthrough?

you can summon help for nameless king. are you embered? did you step down onto the clouds? because you can't put summon signs there, or at least I've never seen any. it's pretty tough to get a summon in for that boss anyway because phantoms are in such high demand

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Cobalt60 posted:

? you can summon for him. ringing the bell does nothing to prevent that

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Fextra Life wiki says something about a phantom throwing up something that prevents summons. I don't think I've killed any phantoms, and all summons seem to fail for me...

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I have no idea what that wiki is talking about there, but if you're seeing summon signs and they're failing that's not an indication that you can't summon. if you couldn't summon, there wouldn't be signs at all. the cause of that is either 1) the servers are rear end (they are), or 2) something happened to that phantom and their summon sign hadn't updated yet. nameless king is a pretty tough boss and a lot of people are competing for phantom helpers, after all

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
thanks, looks like it works, must just be high in demand as you said.

Just summoned a sun bro who did nothing and died :(

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

"Hawkwood will use a Black Separation Crystal once the bell has rung, disabling summons. He may be killed before this encounter, allowing summons to be possible."

i have no idea what this person is talking about. this makes zero sense. hawkwood will black crystal out if you attempt to bring him to the nameless king fight but that's it as far as i know

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

So, whips are good...

...unless you run into someone with a hyper armor weapon. Then they are not so good.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Obligatum VII posted:

well yeah, I guess if you pray they parry instead of just hitting you because their parry comes out fast enough that they can actually see if you're going to attack or not. But that would require them to be exceptionally stupid. It's impossible to do if they happened to miss a parry on an attack you did was my point.

Regarding mixing up attacks, this goes back to my earlier point with how it generally is only going to take 1 parry and you're dead. Depending on the weapon and whether they're packing the hornet ring (this will be 90% of the time, across all level ranges).

Which is why I said you have to predict that they're going to parry. 90% of players, especially those with offhand caestuses or bucklers, tend to be highly predictable with that sort of thing.

And you can survive a hornet parry if you have good HP for that level you're PVPing at (e.g. 1600-ish at sl100-120). I do agree crits are a bit too strong and probably need a nerf but they're not impossible to deal with by any means.

Tallgeese posted:

So, whips are good...

...unless you run into someone with a hyper armor weapon. Then they are not so good.

Just spam Impact/Witch's Fire. It has stupidly good enough range to hit them from out of their weapon range no matter what they're using, and also hits around you so if they roll towards you they'll probably eat the hit anyway before they can get into their hyper armor.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

So, whips are good...

I've been using pyromancies and a raw rear end on my sorcery build until the actual sorceries come into their own at like, whatever fuckoff large int it is. Is it worth it to go into the endgame (princes, NK, LOC) with the witches whip or are you just talking PVP?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Was talking about the matches I was having with that speedrunner, Distortion2.

I just got my face smashed in while using a whip. He hit me through Impact, which to be frank nobody has managed to pull off before. Alas.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Kay Plays is doing DS3, and she looked at the skybox from the high wall, saw the distant building poking out of the clouds, and said, "That looks like the grand cathedral where you fight O&S."

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Obligatum VII posted:

Parrying just doesn't have any real drawbacks. You don't really leave yourself open for any extended period of time. The risk Vs Reward is way out of whack. Sure, you manage to mess with their timing and get a hit or two through. Chances are, they just need ONE parry and that's it. The fight is over, they won. And they have multiple healthbars with which to try to get that singular parry thanks to estus.

Parries are fine, your idea is ridiculous.

Backstabbing parry fishers is easier at lower equip loads. If you have a fast enough weapon, you can kick-r1 them. Larger weapons can generally dead-angle them. Some weapons have unparryable weapon arts.

Don't engage a parry fisher the same way you do other players and expect to win. Dealing with them is pretty easy once you get the hang of it. You actually have quite a few mixup options.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I tried the whole equip way over 100% like that dude in the vid, using havel's and a spear and heavy armor but I just ended up getting backstabbed a lot. Also just about every invasion was 1v2 or 1v3 and they would just run back to the bonfire and team up whenever they were in trouble.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I accomplished/was in the general vicinity of this tonight and it is my highest achievement :kiddo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbogRTIk1R8

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
My giant friend is dead for no reason. RIP I guess man, RIP

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

actionjackson posted:

I tried the whole equip way over 100% like that dude in the vid, using havel's and a spear and heavy armor but I just ended up getting backstabbed a lot. Also just about every invasion was 1v2 or 1v3 and they would just run back to the bonfire and team up whenever they were in trouble.

Invade in co-op light areas like the guy in the vid does.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Grondoth posted:

My giant friend is dead for no reason. RIP I guess man, RIP

If you collect all the white branches he's "guarding", he dies. This includes the white branch catalyst in Irithyll, iirc.

Also, if you choose the white branch burial gift, he won't attack you before you talk to him as long as you never use it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

actionjackson posted:

That guy probably cut out dozens of invasions where he accomplished nothing. I have no idea why you would emulate that and expect anything other than failure.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Why do you get the stretch out gesture from a dead laddersmith gilligan? There's even a broken ladder next to him.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

Is it like, hidden somewhere then? I walk into the big hall and it's just not there. His Storm Ruler was sitting there on the ground, but no armor

Did Siegward survive the fight? If he dies before Yhorm, he only Leaves Stormruler behind? That's the only thing I can think of, that could have happened. Alternatively, try reloading the area and see if IT appears. Despite being in the same spot, the armor and weapon are separate pick ups.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Wow. Ancient wyvern was lamer than bed of chaos. That's saying some poo poo

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Does using a weapon's war cry art dispel any buffs it has, or is it just a visual glitch?

Also I know the dragon stones suck but I couldn't resist making a lizard pope;

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 08:37 on May 16, 2016

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

bed of chaos certainly looked cooler but ancient dragon was better because i didnt die multiple times to off-camera tree branches pushing me into holes in the ground

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Does using a weapon's war cry art dispel any buffs it has, or is it just a visual glitch?

Yes.

Atreiden posted:

Did Siegward survive the fight? If he dies before Yhorm, he only Leaves Stormruler behind? That's the only thing I can think of, that could have happened. Alternatively, try reloading the area and see if IT appears. Despite being in the same spot, the armor and weapon are separate pick ups.

I got Siegward to help, forgot to clear my inventory before fighting him and was loving in my inventory trying to get the stormruler equipped and he died. I came in later and his armor was still there though? Or maybe I'm remembering wrong. The sword and armor are separate pickups which is weird though.

Anyone else just get a patch? I feel like we should be relying on Tallgeese more than From for patch notes.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

DelphiAegis posted:

Anyone else just get a patch? I feel like we should be relying on Tallgeese more than From for patch notes.

Got an update queued on steam, let's hope it fixes the stuttering. It's getting very frequent for me :(

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Toady posted:

Kay Plays is doing DS3, and she looked at the skybox from the high wall, saw the distant building poking out of the clouds, and said, "That looks like the grand cathedral where you fight O&S."

I've always been suspicious of just how blind her playthroughs are, and that doesn't help. Thinking it looks like Anor Londo/Eleum Loyce/Heide's Tower? Fine. Specifically that building though? It's not visible enough to clearly identify even once you do know.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Digirat posted:

Got an update queued on steam, let's hope it fixes the stuttering. It's getting very frequent for me :(

They rolled back to the previous patch, so goodbye stutters hello Cheat Engine babbys!

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Bugblatter posted:

I've always been suspicious of just how blind her playthroughs are, and that doesn't help. Thinking it looks like Anor Londo/Eleum Loyce/Heide's Tower? Fine. Specifically that building though? It's not visible enough to clearly identify even once you do know.

Isn't the building she looked at the Cathedral of the Deep, though?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Digirat posted:

Why do you get the stretch out gesture from a dead laddersmith gilligan? There's even a broken ladder next to him.

Because he's stretching out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Isn't the building she looked at the Cathedral of the Deep, though?

Was jt? I didn't watch, Cathedral isn't peaking out of clouds from High Wall though. Doesn't even look anything like Gwyn's keep from there.