Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

HMS Boromir posted:

m-multi flask chugging...

The ultimate technique

Edit: I did a photoshop of a dude with a beer helmet, except instead of beer it was estus, then also found out that I'm the 7392nd person to think of that idea

Danaru fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Doodmons posted:

It definitely does. I can think of an encounter in Heide's that I had some problems with for this exact reason.

Those three Old Knights don't actually pull at the same time with the same trigger, they pull from three separate triggers at the same point. This actually is kind of a meaningful distinction, because it means if you get them to leash back to their original starting area, they pull one at a time. This is something you can do by just walking past them. Because they're slow.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Decus posted:

A lot of that depends on what armor you're wearing. DS2 made enemy sound detection much stronger than DS1 so if you're not wearing light armor stuff is going to appear to chain with a greater frequency due to that.

The real issue is that for PvE especially I don't really think heavier armor has enough going for it to outweigh the extra sound generation, at least for exploration. The average player choosing heavy armor is actually getting killed harder rather than becoming more protected due to all the sound creating harder encounters.
Heavy armor has never been worth the trade offs in any of the games unless you're absolutely dedicated to it for fashion souls. From seems scared to death of heavy armor being good for some reason.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

The turtle guys were such a pain to fight honorably, it was really cathartic watching geop just go "nope" with items

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

Sindai posted:

Heavy armor has never been worth the trade offs in any of the games unless you're absolutely dedicated to it for fashion souls. From seems scared to death of heavy armor being good for some reason.

Blame Dark Souls 1 poise combined with the GiantDad setup or full Havels.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
"Because it's Fire it doesn't get scaling" Not how it works in this, as the item screen will tell you. But that gets into reading all the stats and substats in DS2 which is probably bad for entertainment.

Despite being like, the Drake Sword of Dark Souls 2 from fan reaction, I'm curious if anyone here found the Fire Longsword actually useful? A mace or normal sword or estoc always felt better to me.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I never even found it on my first playthrough. I saw the tunnel, saw the fact that it was on fire and decided I'd come back when I had some better equipment and more health. My Drake Sword was the Heide Knight Sword, from the friend in the Forest of Fallen Giants that no longer exists as of Scholar.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Tylana posted:

"Because it's Fire it doesn't get scaling" Not how it works in this, as the item screen will tell you. But that gets into reading all the stats and substats in DS2 which is probably bad for entertainment.

Despite being like, the Drake Sword of Dark Souls 2 from fan reaction, I'm curious if anyone here found the Fire Longsword actually useful? A mace or normal sword or estoc always felt better to me.

It isn't a Drake Sword: Fire weapons do scale in 2. They scale with both intelligence and faith. Enemies across the entire game have elemental resistances in 2, as opposed to 1 or 3 where the early game enemies just don't have elemental resists.

Scribe13
Jan 30, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Mighty Dicktron posted:

It isn't a Drake Sword: Fire weapons do scale in 2. They scale with both intelligence and faith.

...do they really? God drat it I never knew that. I've been running with that fire longsword with a 6 in both those stats.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I'm not sure how well the fire longsword holds up into the end of the game, since I usually switch out for something more interesting than an sword, but it's available totally free literally minutes into the game. I don't actually know for sure if it hits harder than some of the other weapons around, but it certainly chews through things well into the game if you keep it upgraded. It's got a nice moveset and range too, which helps.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
As the stat screen says, you have a scaling value for Magic, Lightning, Fire and Dark and that's not just for spells.

I called it the Drake Sword as it's so often mentioned as "One awesome weapon you can get super early" so I was mostly curious if anyone actually found it awesome.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

By the way Geop, you can actually use multiple life gems at once and it'll heal twice as much health twice as fast. This is near essential knowledge if you plan on using life gems heavily in any run.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Scribe13 posted:

...do they really? God drat it I never knew that. I've been running with that fire longsword with a 6 in both those stats.

They do, but not by much. IIRC putting points in either faith or intelligence will raise it, but there is a hard cap for the scaling, I want to say ~60 between them? I haven't looked it up in quite some time.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Geop was right, the original version of this game had you vulnerable during ripostes and backstabs and almost everyone complained about it, so FROM changed it back.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

ChaosArgate posted:

Geop was right, the original version of this game had you vulnerable during ripostes and backstabs and almost everyone complained about it, so FROM changed it back.

Is this the case? I haven't heard anyone talking about it, can't find a source for it or anything.

Ashsaber posted:

They do, but not by much. IIRC putting points in either faith or intelligence will raise it, but there is a hard cap for the scaling, I want to say ~60 between them? I haven't looked it up in quite some time.

It's a soft cap - it scales with the average between the two right up until you have 99/99, but it starts taking 2-3 points at 60 total to get even one point of fire bonus so the first 40 points or so you split between the two stats will be worth more than the next 120.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 16, 2016

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

ChaosArgate posted:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Flame longsword is good, but only if you didn't start out as Cleric or get an early Mace because of how the damage works.

Maces destroy the turtles because they deal like double damage of any sword because of weakness to strike weapons.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Starting out as a cleric just means you have a mace AND a fire longsword! :shepface:

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

Warning; side-effects include disintegrated ocular tissue.

Tylana posted:

As the stat screen says, you have a scaling value for Magic, Lightning, Fire and Dark and that's not just for spells.

I called it the Drake Sword as it's so often mentioned as "One awesome weapon you can get super early" so I was mostly curious if anyone actually found it awesome.

Yep. Magic scales with Intelligence, Lightning (miracles, mostly) scales with Faith, and both Fire and Dark scale with both Faith and Intelligence.

Dark and Fire have their own quirks; Fire scales with the value of Faith and Intelligence added together making it viable on either intelligence or faith builds, while Dark largely actually scales with whichever is lowest; so for effective Dark scaling, you want to keep Intelligence and Faith the same. Meaning a Dark build kind of needs its own dedication.

Bleeding and Poison damage ALSO have their own scaling as well in Dark Souls 2; dexterity on both, with Faith added for Bleeding (I have no idea why) and Adaptability for Poison (Also not sure why). More dexterity causes the status effect to build up more rapidly. The actual damage done doesn't scale, however.

MGlBlaze fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 16, 2016

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

HMS Boromir posted:

Is this the case? I haven't heard anyone talking about it, can't find a source for it or anything.

I played the game on launch, trying to get a backstab or a riposte in a crowded area was basically a death sentence.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The fire longsword is pretty good until you get your stats up and better scaling weapons do more damage. But at the start I've been using it over my warrior's +1 weapons.

I pretty much use it until the end of this area if I remember right, because there's some good stuff afterwards.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 02:26 on May 16, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Testing weapons on a tiny platform is always the best move.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
The deadman bounce and slide for posterity. The bounce is the bit I think I appreciate most.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Control Volume posted:

Geop now that you have access to them please power stance the caestus

It's the only game in the series where they really genuinely work super well. it'd be a shame if he doesn't at least give them a go.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Hopefully Geop will go absolutely nuts with consumable items. While some of them are hard to find, they stay amazingly relevant through most of the game.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

honestly if you just buy enough throwing knives you wont need to level up

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Obligatum VII posted:

It's the only game in the series where they really genuinely work super well. it'd be a shame if he doesn't at least give them a go.

Unleash your inner boxer!

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I saw the salamander too :ohdear:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mighty Dicktron posted:

It isn't a Drake Sword: Fire weapons do scale in 2. They scale with both intelligence and faith. Enemies across the entire game have elemental resistances in 2, as opposed to 1 or 3 where the early game enemies just don't have elemental resists.
It also still scales with strength and dexterity, just not as much.

It's a decent weapon for when you get it, but it quickly becomes worse than most other options due to the split damage, and a lot of have high fire resistance in this game. It's definitely worse than the drake sword in that regard, because the drake sword is pure physical. It's a great weapon if you're going for a pyro build.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Fun fact: I don't think I even realized that I could drop from that ledge until I'd nearly beaten the game, so I missed the whole area (and the sword was pretty much useless by then).

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

ChaosArgate posted:

I played the game on launch, trying to get a backstab or a riposte in a crowded area was basically a death sentence.

Huh. I played the game on PC launch, was it already changed by then? I might just have a bad memory but I remember backstabs always just giving you a bunch of damage resistance and poise, I've only actually been knocked out of one once or twice ever.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Obligatum VII posted:

Really, we need a worthy followup to The Claws.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Most animations that lock you into an action in this game have a short windup where you can be hit out of them. Backstabs have to connect before you get invulnerability frames, unlike in DS1 where you hit the button and you were locked in good to go. It's much more noticeable when applied to fog doors because it means you can't always sprint past enemies to get to the boss.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Plunging attacks are inexplicably terrible in DS2, they only seem to connect half the time and then do poo poo damage. I found out very late that if you actually jump from the ledge above the enemy (while locked on), then press R2, you will do it more consistently and even get more damage out of it.

A way to get consistent plunging attacks out of a jump actually means...

MGlBlaze posted:

Also, Goonther has gotten our first look at Flame Salamanders. The way those things move and attack is loving ridiculous, but that little tunnel encounter doesn't really show you much since I don't think you can even get to it. Thankfully their bullshit is optional (unless they added them to other parts of the game in SOTFS... pray to your chosen deity they didn't), but bullshit is bullshit regardless.

Though I do love how casually your character opens doors when you're in a clearly dangerous location. Especially because, assuming I remember correctly, if you panic mash the action button in Dark Souls 2; that actually cancels the action. It's kind of silly.
...this is not only untrue, it were even wrong if you added "until way later". Also, in SotFS, you will actually have to experience that bullshit.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

HMS Boromir posted:

m-multi flask chugging...
Nah man, that's just L1/R1 mashing in the regular stance.

Powerstancing Estus Flasks is why there are shards all over the loving place:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Fish Noise posted:

it begins

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Fish Noise posted:

Nah man, that's just L1/R1 mashing in the regular stance.

Adorable.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Zagglezig posted:

The deadman bounce and slide for posterity. The bounce is the bit I think I appreciate most.

It looks like his corpse said "gently caress staying on this scaffolding, I'm joining my friends down below."

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Even so, that still doesn't quite make up for the ragdolls having no player clipping. I never played DS1 but after watching Geop's LP of it, I was all hyped for twirling corpses around in DS2 :(
Speaking of dark souls, is it just me or was the longsword's r1 originally a near horizontal slash? It's pretty diagonal in DS2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gibb3h
Jul 15, 2014

Updated tally time!

• Locked thread