Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
For a bunch of loving autistic computer nerds I am absolutely shocked you are asking this question

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

I've never seen it written so neatly

CI, I've come to realize that we're not dealing with nerds here. Nerds are smart. Anyone who both complains about the "crushing load" of homework in elementary school AND posts on these forums is just a regular old loser.

Who am I kidding, thinking back to my own days in elementary school I can remember nothing but long nights spent slaving over dinosaur name word searches and multiplication tables.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lmao at anyone complaining about homework quantities in elementary/high school.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
If you cut back on homework in elementary school, how are you ever going to get kids used to the amount of homework they'll have in college?

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
It would be hypocritical for me to complain about homework load because I hardly ever did any of it at home. Just pull that dumb poo poo out and fill it out during some boring class

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I had homework maybe twice during my entire schooling k-12, I don't know how the poo poo people ended up with homework. I guess they just didn't care to pay attention in class and finish their poo poo during the copious amount of time that the teachers spent over-explaining poo poo to the stupid people.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Jordan7hm posted:

It's still there and the systems they use to teach are almost certainly better than what we had growing up. Don't let anecdotes convice you otherwise.

Also, my god some of you are judgemental. I have a kid with a pretty serious language disability who is luckily at least really good at math, but it could easily be the other way around and for some kids in his class it is. Some people are able to quickly grasp concepts that would take other people ages to understand.

Actual learning disabilities are a separate issue, which I did say right at the beginning. But I don't think there's a huge percentage of the "waaah math is hard" crowd that has a disability.

I will agree that there is a huge problem with math pedagogy in general, though. Some concepts are usually explained very poorly because teachers are lazy and in many cases do not understand the math they're teaching.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Consider how many of us take years of French lessons and how few of us could blunder our way through a conversation in French as adults.

V MERDE! TABERNAC! (p.s. don't actually say these anywhere in Western Canada because you'd sound like a total douche.)

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 09:25 on May 16, 2016

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I was in French immersion for ten years and I lost everything but the curse words

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Pixelante posted:

Consider how many of us take years of French lessons and how few of us could blunder our way through a conversation in French as adults.

GASP. It's almost like Math and languages have something in common and that most people are actually just poo poo at recognizing and remembering patterns (and think that's okay(It's not))

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Pixelante posted:

That's a pedagogical issue as well. I don't remember learning about verbs at all until sixth grade, and I'm pretty sure we didn't complete learning about the present tense until 7th. This is poo poo we could knock out in one semester, because it's quite easy. I don't remember ever learning properly about direct and indirect object pronouns, which makes it very hard to understand most things, and very hard to construct even basic sentences. It was only after learning these things in Spanish that I looked back and realized how loving useless French class was for those 9 years.

Surprise: word searches don't build language fluency, you stupid fucks!

Edit: the issue with all language classes below the college level (and even at the college level in some cases) is that students put more emphasis on trying to get the best mark with the least effort, instead of trying to learn the language. The flaw in this is that, when you're trying to speak the language and flailing around like a moron, unable to understand anything, that 90 you got in French or Spanish or whatever means precisely gently caress all.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 09:25 on May 16, 2016

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lmao at anyone complaining about homework quantities in elementary/high school.

I want to know what schools are actually giving 2-3 hours of work a night to an elementary student.

I think I had maybe 2-3 hours of homework a week throughout high school, maybe 2-3 hours total throughout the school year in elementary.

Hell I don't think I did 2-3 hours a night during my undergrad :psyduck:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

A Typical Goon posted:

I want to know what schools are actually giving 2-3 hours of work a night to an elementary student.

I think I had maybe 2-3 hours of homework a week throughout high school, maybe 2-3 hours total throughout the school year in elementary.

I mean, there's work assigned and there's work done.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

A Typical Goon posted:

I definitely had that much being assigned occasionally, but it wasn't every week and I rarely did it all. I have to assume the only people complaining are the lovely parents that raised their kids to get high 90s in every class or they're a failure.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

We could easily produce bilingual students - most of Europe manages that just fine. Hell, sometimes people speak 3 languages. But there's really no incentive in the current climate and speaking as an Ontarian there would be quite a few parents complaining their child isn't learning something more "useful", or learning their own heritage language.

I can honestly say nothing is more useful than learning French in Canada, employment-wise. However the rarity of that skill has a lot to do with it.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

That would require a whole-language approach where students spend most of their time speaking naturally instead of reciting the conjugations of être to the rhythm of a windup plastic frog.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

A Typical Goon posted:

My kid had her grade 5 teacher doing this two years ago. An initial chat didn't fix it but threatening to take it to the principal magically did. Three hours of homework a night at that age is counter productive and is toxic to your home life and no one should tolerate it happening.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Evidently the NDP have looked at the hellishly long US primary season and thought "yeah, that. That looks like what we need here in Canada."

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Time for some Ontario news.

quote:

Ontario to spend $7-billion on sweeping climate change plan
ADRIAN MORROW AND GREG KEENAN
TORONTO — The Globe and Mail
Published Monday, May 16, 2016 5:00AM EDT

The Ontario government will spend more than $7-billion over four years on a sweeping climate change plan that will affect every aspect of life – from what people drive to how they heat their homes and workplaces – in a bid to slash the province’s carbon footprint.

Ontario will begin phasing out natural gas for heating, provide incentives to retrofit buildings and give rebates to drivers who buy electric vehicles. It will also require that gasoline sold in the province contain less carbon, bring in building code rules requiring all new homes by 2030 to be heated with electricity or geothermal systems, and set a target for 12 per cent of all new vehicle sales to be electric by 2025.

While such policies are likely to be popular with ecoconscious voters, who will now receive government help to green their lives, they are certain to cause mass disruption for the province’s automotive and energy sectors, which will have to make significant changes to the way they do business. And they have already created tension within the government between Environment Minister Glen Murray and some of his fellow ministers who worry he is going too far.

The 57-page Climate Change Action Plan was debated by Premier Kathleen Wynne’s cabinet Wednesday and subsequently obtained by The Globe and Mail. Stamped “Cabinet Confidential,” the document lays out a strategy from 2017 to 2021. It contains about 80 different policies, grouped into 32 different “actions.” Each action has a price tag attached to it, as well as an estimate of the amount of emissions it will cut by 2020.

The Globe had previously uncovered details of the plan, but this is the first time the full blueprint has been revealed. The strategy is scheduled to be further reviewed by cabinet ministers and fine-tuned, sources said, with public release slated for June.

The many new programs will be paid for out of revenue from the province’s upcoming cap-and-trade system, which is expected to be approved by the legislature this week and come into effect at the start of next year. Together, the cap-and-trade system and the action plan are the backbone of the province’s strategy to cut emissions to 15 per cent below 1990 levels by 2020, 37 per cent by 2030 and 80 per cent by 2050.

“We are on the cusp of a once-in-a-lifetime transformation. It’s a transformation of how we look at our planet and the impact we have on it,” reads a preamble to the plan signed by Ms. Wynne. “It’s a transformation that will forever change how we live, work, play and move.”

Highlights include:
  • $3.8-billion for new grants, rebates and other subsidies to retrofit buildings, and move them off natural gas and onto geothermal, solar power or other forms of electric heat. Many of these programs will be administered by a new Green Bank, modelled on a similar agency in New York State, to provide financing for solar and geothermal projects.
  • New building code rules that will require all homes and small buildings built in 2030 or later to be heated without using fossil fuels, such as natural gas. This will be expanded to all buildings before 2050. Other building code changes will require major renovations to include energy-efficiency measures. All homes will also have to undergo an energy-efficiency audit before they are sold.
  • $285-million for electric vehicle incentives. These include a rebate of up to $14,000 for every electric vehicle purchased; up to $1,000 to install home charging; taking the provincial portion of the HST off electric vehicle sales; an extra subsidy program for low– and moderate-income households to get older cars off the road and replace them with electric; and free overnight electricity for charging electric vehicles. The province will also build more charging stations at government buildings, including LCBO outlets, and consider making electrical vehicle plug-ins mandatory on all new buildings. The plan sets targets of expanding electric vehicle sales to 5 per cent of all vehicles sold by 2020, up to 12 per cent by 2025, and aiming to get an electric or hybrid vehicle in every multivehicle driveway by 2024, a total of about 1.7 million cars.
  • New lower-carbon fuel standards would require all liquid transportation fuels, such as gasoline and diesel, to slash life-cycle carbon emissions by 5 per cent by 2020. The plan will also provide $176-million in incentives to fuel retailers to sell more biodiesel and 85-per-cent ethanol blend. The government will also oblige natural gas to contain more renewable content, such as gas from agriculture and waste products.
  • $280-million to help school boards buy electric buses and trucking companies switch to lower-carbon trucks, including by building more liquid natural gas fuelling stations.
  • $354-million toward the GO regional rail network.
  • $200-million to build more cycling infrastructure, including curb-separated bike lanes and bike parking at GO stations.
  • $375-million for research and development into new clean technologies, including $140-million for a Global Centre for Low-Carbon Mobility at an Ontario university or college to develop electric and other low-carbon vehicle technology.
  • $1.2-billion to help factories and other industrial businesses cut emissions, such as by buying more energy-efficient machines.
  • $174-million to make the government carbon neutral. This will include retrofitting buildings, allowing some bureaucrats to work from home and buying carbon offsets.

The actions expected to cause the largest emissions cuts by 2020 are moving buildings and the electricity system off natural gas (three million tonnes); programs to make industry more energy efficient (2.5 million tonnes); the low-carbon fuel standard (two million tonnes); the renewable content requirement for natural gas (one million tonnes); and switching trucks and buses to liquefied natural gas and electricity (400,000 tonnes.)

Cutting natural gas, which currently provides 76 per cent of heating, will require mass adoption of green technologies in buildings across the province. The plan lists geothermal systems, air heat pumps and rooftop solar panels as technologies that will be eligible for rebates. It could also require an expansion of the electricity grid. The plan promises, however, to subsidize any increased electricity costs for homeowners.

The electric vehicle targets represent a sea change for the province’s $16-billion auto sector. The 2025 goal would boost to about 86,000 the number of annual electric vehicle sales, more than 20 times the number of electric vehicles sold in the province so far this century.

Already, the plan is causing tension within government, pitting Mr. Murray against Energy Minister Bob Chiarelli and Economic Development Minister Brad Duguid. Mr. Murray’s colleagues, sources said, complained that he often did not bother to consult with other ministers as he drafted the strategy, and ignored their advice when he did.

Energy officials were particularly concerned about the new Green Bank, contending its functions could be handled by the Independent Electricity System Operator, sources said. Mr. Duguid, meanwhile, was worried about the effect on the auto sector. Mr. Murray also aggravated colleagues with an Economic Club speech last month, in which he chastised auto companies for not doing enough to fight climate change and mused about closing down the province’s nuclear power plants.

The behind-the-scenes battle played out at a meeting of cabinet ministers involved in the climate file two weeks ago, when Mr. Chiarelli and others confronted Mr. Murray with their complaints, sources said. After The Globe subsequently revealed the clash, all parties have tried to play it down.

“We’re working very well together. I’m very excited about it. We have a very, very good strong team and we’ve worked very hard for two years,” Mr. Murray said last week.

Mr. Chiarelli, for his part, acknowledged there had been “debate” at Wednesday’s cabinet meeting, but said it ended with “100 per cent consensus” on the climate plan.

“We have a normal amount of debate on this issue,” he said. “If you were to get a leak on every cabinet meeting, you would find out, you know, that there’s a good airing of points of view on issues.”

Asked if Mr. Murray had to change or water down the plan to get cabinet buy-in, Mr. Chiarelli cracked a grin.

“You know what? I’d be breaking my oath if I told you that,” he said. “You know that.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/ontario-to-spend-7-billion-in-sweeping-climate-change-plan/article30029081/?click=sf_globefb

Wonder how the OLP will manage to gently caress this one up.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

vyelkin posted:

They will gently caress it up the usual way by being awful and corrupt and then get replaced by spiteful voters with the PC's who will immediately slash and burn any progressive climate change policy.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

In advance of the sale of this electric utility, possibly to the moneyed corporate interests who fund us, we think everyone should start using their product. Neato.

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Welp, looks like agenda 21 is now in full effect may god help us

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

The problem with homework is that it reinforces social and economic privilege. Who do you think is going to do better with homework, the fifteen year old with a comfortable, stable, middle class homelife with parents who have the leisure time needed to help, or the fifteen year old whose mom double shifts into the grave yard just to pay rent on their lovely apartment and daddy has a drinking problem who doesn't like being bothered? In essence homework ends up punishing those students who don't have a quiet and stable space at home. Which is a lot of students. School needs to be completely reimagined to deal with the complexities of 21st century western society.

I'm a huge fan of heuristics/experiential learning, as it instils in students the methods and habits actually necessary to be critical lifelong learners. Study after study shows that students who construct their own knowledges retain more and are more successful moving forward. That being said, I am still on the fence with regards to fully implementing constructivisn in math education. There are fundamental building blocks that students must master if they are to successfully move forward. Part of the problem, as mentioned, is that the vast (and I mean vast) majority of teachers and student teachers suck at math. poo poo, the vast majority of teachers in Canada don't have any post-secondary training besides their education degree, and that to me is rear end backwards. Whenever I hear a teacher wings about how "math is too hard" or "I'm just not a math person" like its a goddamn lifestyle I simultaneously want to smack them and also know their students are doomed.

That being said, the colleagues I know who are actual math majors and possess higher level abilities are almost uniformly on board with constructivist pedagogy in the math classroom. They believe students can build their own understandings of math, but I would suggest students need a strong hand on the till in that case.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Isn't electricity for heating way more expensive and less efficient? Is this just a way for the OLP to increase the value of the hydro utility?

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
So so far it's Michael Chong, Max Bernier and Kellie Lietch declared running for Conservative leader. Anyone think any of these folks could beat the libs?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Behind every parent complaining about homework loads is a student lying about how much time they waste in school.

In high school, anyway.

Stickarts posted:

poo poo, the vast majority of teachers in Canada don't have any post-secondary training besides their education degree, and that to me is rear end backwards. Whenever I hear a teacher wings about how "math is too hard" or "I'm just not a math person" like its a goddamn lifestyle I simultaneously want to smack them and also know their students are doomed.
What are you talking about? You're not getting in to teachers college without a Bachelors unless you're a tech teacher, in which case you'll need a lot of real-world experience and will be teaching in a high school tech/trade class.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

sliderule posted:

It should have been excluded from play because of its lyrical content. Just like they should exclude music that promotes homeopathy, reiki, or human sacrifice.

A huge part of Bach's music is dedicated to god and is specifically signed "SDG" (*) which means "glory to god alone". I'm an atheist. I dig Bach. Bach's music has not yet turned me into a born-again Christian, but I will keep you posted.

(*) soli deo gloria

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

the trump tutelage posted:

Behind every parent complaining about homework loads is a student lying about how much time they waste in school.

What are you talking about? You're not getting in to teachers college without a Bachelors unless you're a tech teacher, in which case you'll need a lot of real-world experience and will be teaching in a high school tech/trade class.

The only way in is still to know people, french specialty, minority (gender or race) in addition to your first bachelor, the now 2 years of teachers college, and your vast related work experience/volunteering. It's a very tough time even if you have 2 degrees and are trying to transition to a relevant secondary position.

Stickarts posted:

Part of the problem, as mentioned, is that the vast (and I mean vast) majority of teachers and student teachers suck at math. poo poo, the vast majority of teachers in Canada don't have any post-secondary training besides their education degree, and that to me is rear end backwards.

Source your claim

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

vyelkin posted:

Glen Murray come back to Manitoba please

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Most kids suck at math because they learn from their parents that math is hard and it's okay to hate it. So they take that attitude to school and then give up easily and don't give a poo poo. It's not the teachers.

Also I didn't do any homework until university. There is tons of time to do your work in class.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

brucio posted:

So so far it's Michael Chong, Max Bernier and Kellie Lietch declared running for Conservative leader. Anyone think any of these folks could beat the libs?

The guy who threw a resignation tantrum because Quebec called itself a nation, the guy who gave secret documents to his gang-affiliated girlfriend and the Barbaric Cultural Practices lady. I'm sure the libs are positively quaking.

cowofwar posted:

Isn't electricity for heating way more expensive and less efficient? Is this just a way for the OLP to increase the value of the hydro utility?

I have no idea, and probably yeah. I'd love to see some numbers that compare the total cost and efficiency loss from where the power is generated to its actual use in the home.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I'm very excited for billions to be spent on reducing the carbon footprint of 13 million people, while four billion people in Asia continue spewing exhaust into the atmosphere

Fortunately it looks like climate change will solve a lot of this problem for us

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
"if we can't singlehandedly fix it why do anything at all" is and will continue to be a stupid argument for dipshits when applied to climate change

(not that i expect the olp to do sth like this with addressing climate change actually being their primary concern, but u know)

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

cowofwar posted:

Most kids suck at math because they learn from their parents that math is hard and it's okay to hate it. So they take that attitude to school and then give up easily and don't give a poo poo. It's not the teachers.

I feel like this is sorta bullshit. Sure, that's some, but a large number of people that just have trouble grasping the concepts and will have to work twice as hard as an average person just to pull off a passing grade.

quote:

Also I didn't do any homework until university. There is tons of time to do your work in class.

Depends on where you go, I guess - I know that, while I almost never had homework in elementary school, my high school teachers would regularly give out assignments at the end of class that were due at the beginning of the next day's class.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Brannock posted:

I'm very excited for billions to be spent on reducing the carbon footprint of 13 million people, while four billion people in Asia continue spewing exhaust into the atmosphere

Fortunately it looks like climate change will solve a lot of this problem for us

Now we have the the excuse we need for military intervention in Asia.

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ambrose Burnside posted:

"if we can't singlehandedly fix it why do anything at all" is and will continue to be a stupid argument for dipshits when applied to climate change

(not that i expect the olp to do sth like this with addressing climate change actually being their primary concern, but u know)

not stupider than voluntarily impoverishing yourself for the profit of mega corporations. i swear this eco bullshit is like reverse socialism. take from the poor to give to the rich

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

jm20 posted:

Source your claim

the trump tutelage posted:

I will walk back on this one as I was painting in broad strokes but unless I have been misinformed, everything from Manitoba to BC you can enter the B.Ed. straight out of high school without an additional degree. I donno Eastern Canada well enough to comment.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Tsyni posted:

Now we have the the excuse we need for military intervention in Asia.

Are we talking a Vietnam style intervention or a Japan style intervention?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Stickarts posted:

I will walk back on this one as I was painting in broad strokes but unless I have been misinformed, everything from Manitoba to BC you can enter the B.Ed. straight out of high school without an additional degree. I donno Eastern Canada well enough to comment.

In BC you need a bachelors or equivalent as far as I can tell.

I'm pretty sure you need one everywhere. Teachers College in Canada is post grad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Stickarts posted:

uhhhh :confused:

BC

quote:

Post-secondary studies
You must have completed four years (120 credits) of post-secondary studies and a degree or its equivalent. Within these studies, we will look for coursework that meets our academic requirements and teacher education requirements.

AB

quote:

holds an acceptable degree, other than a degree in education, from a university in Alberta or from an approved institution and completes an approved professional teacher education program in a faculty of education of a university in Alberta or at any other approved institution, or