Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mcmagic posted:

BOOM!

When youre done gloating about your card evaluation skills let's recall our discussion about Kalitas in Jund.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Looks like Charles Porges who was caught cheating on camera a few weeks back top 8ed the Standard Classic this weekend... Sad!

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

Sickening posted:

Speaking of packs, anybody else been diligent with selling sealed (real) packs from prizes?

For the past few years I have been pretty terrible at selling my packs and instead I have been busting them like a fool. What is the best way to move them? What price is agreed upon to be pretty standard?

Sealed packs are weird in that they tend to go up in price over time, unless they're really garbage sets like Born of the Gods and Dragon's Maze. Even then, Saviors of Kamigawa packs are like $7 each now, because people like to do chaos drafts and throw dumb poo poo in them. Anyway, if the set is well-received (or has any very valuable cards in it) its price will probably go up over time; original Zendikar packs are about $20 each now.

This is to say: if you're not going to use them, I'd hold on to them to see if their price starts to rise. It's not a sure enough thing to actually spend money on IMO, but if you have the packs laying around and you don't need the money now, you might as well wait.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

mcmagic posted:

Looks like Charles Porges who was caught cheating on camera a few weeks back top 8ed the Standard Classic this weekend... Sad!

I guess I should take up petty card cheats, it'll up my winrate and result in very little punishment.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

And just like that, Nahiri is 28 bucks and out of stock on SCG.

Shocking.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Blood Moon does sometimes lead to cool if not otherwise interesting games

The deck has 13 mana producing lands

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

rabidsquid posted:

i am team dumpsterdick smart magic investors and also players. we cash every event we play.

Someone just named the official goon magic team.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Procrastinator posted:

Someone just named the official goon magic team.

We gotta get some sort of jerseys made STAT, I've seen hockey jerseys, basketball jerseys for magic teams... What is the gooniest sport?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Hey, I stopped playing Magic Duels before Oath came out for it, because I had two missions just not give me rewards after completion, and also the server just kind of stopped letting me play a game all the way through. Is Magic Duels still trash?

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
I want to say curling

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Foreskin Problems posted:

I want to say curling

It's most likely curling.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Dehtraen posted:

We gotta get some sort of jerseys made STAT, I've seen hockey jerseys, basketball jerseys for magic teams... What is the gooniest sport?

it's not the gooniest sport but hockey jerseys get dork cred on account of Kevin Smith wearing them all of the time

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So Flip Jace has been steadily decreasing in price on Channel Fireball, and is currently at 35. If it goes down even further is picking up set wise? Does he see play outside of Standard?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

DangerDongs posted:

So Flip Jace has been steadily decreasing in price on Channel Fireball, and is currently at 35. If it goes down even further is picking up set wise? Does he see play outside of Standard?

He sees play in a couple Modern decks and I believe a Legacy deck?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

He definitely sees play outside of standard, but, and I can't emphasize this enough :siren: DO NOT BUY MAGIC CARDS YOU DON'T SPECIFICALLY HAVE A PLAN TO USE :siren:

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

DangerDongs posted:

it sees some play in vintage. I think people had it in modern grixis control for a time.

e:

rabidsquid posted:

:siren: DO NOT BUY MAGIC CARDS YOU DON'T SPECIFICALLY HAVE A PLAN TO USE :siren:

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Count Bleck posted:

He sees play in a couple Modern decks and I believe a Legacy deck?

Thanks. I may wait to see if it goes closer to 20. They have over 300 in stock they are trying to push, and i'm optimistic about it declining further.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

DangerDongs posted:

Thanks. I may wait to see if it goes closer to 20. They have over 300 in stock they are trying to push, and i'm optimistic about it declining further.

You are looking at the buylist. He's still like $75 for a mint one from cfb.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Dehtraen posted:

If you need some inspiration, this is the goon designed cycling outfit:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

DangerDongs posted:

That's the buylist price.

You can still get them for like 45 on TCG though. He's not that great.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 08:10 on May 16, 2016

Judd Stackington
Oct 27, 2015
Which of the M10-M:Origins sets is the thread favourite?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Unless people get Athreos-level stubborn with Jace, he's gonna crater once he rotates. So fewer copies of him in eternal formats than standard.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Blood Moon does sometimes lead to cool if not otherwise interesting games

The deck has 13 mana producing lands

I love the glee on his face. He's just so hyped.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
Gotta say I enjoyed M13 the most. Exalted, the allied color matters creatures, another Merfolk lord, Murder... it had a lot of cool poo poo going on!

e: Thragtusk, Krenko, Elixir, Trading Post... :allears:

Foreskin Problems fucked around with this message at 10:31 on May 16, 2016

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

M13 was the best core set by far, also has Talrand, Odric, Yeva, Roaring Primadox, Omniscience, Thundermaw Hellkite, etc.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

Bonus posted:

M13 was the best core set by far, also has Talrand, Odric, Yeva, Roaring Primadox, Omniscience, Thundermaw Hellkite, etc.

Counterpoint: Thragtusk.

M13 did own, though.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I was making a dumb joke implying that whoever originally posted it had photoshopped a buy order, because "why would anyone ever need more than 4 of a card, clearly mtgfinance isn't a thing", womp womp.

Please relax.

Speculators exist but they don't drive price spikes, as evidenced by the fact that some guy buying 100 Nahiris had no effect on the price

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Counterpoint: Thragtusk owns :parrot:

Speculators mostly drive prices on stupid poo poo like Digeridoo that no one wants anyway except other speculators.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

M11 was the best core set because not only was Preordain fun as poo poo to draft, Foresee actually was too. I used to just draft Squawks and Foresee and Preordain all day ery day

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Judd Stackington posted:

I played a SHITLOAD of M13 because that was when I first got into Magic. It was pretty great.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Judd Stackington posted:

M13 pretty easily.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

GoutPatrol posted:

I played a SHITLOAD of M13 because that was when I first got into Magic. It was pretty great.

Sorta the same here, though I had played before and had taken a long break (originally played during Apocalypse -> Mirrodin block). M13 was a pretty great set to come back to. Doesn't hurt that I opened Sublime Archangel in my pre-release pool and made a fun exalted deck.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

DangerDongs posted:

His use in modern has been dropping, and with the Jeskai control shell featuring Nahiri doing so well I'd expect most blue controlish builds will head that way for a while. I'd expect JVP, Visions, and thopter/sword to be on the decline in the near future at least unless they begin to put up better results.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

jassi007 posted:

His use in modern has been dropping, and with the Jeskai control shell featuring Nahiri doing so well I'd expect most blue controlish builds will head that way for a while. I'd expect JVP, Visions, and thopter/sword to be on the decline in the near future at least unless they begin to put up better results.

Alot of the Nahiri decks are playing Vision though.

jassi007 posted:

When youre done gloating about your card evaluation skills let's recall our discussion about Kalitas in Jund.

I'm clearly a terrible Modern Jund player.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 14:49 on May 16, 2016

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mcmagic posted:

Alot of the Nahiri decks are playing Vision though.

Some have like GerryT's MOCS build, but the SCG Open winner only had 2 and they were SB. I'm not sure you need 4 serum visions 4 ancestral visions and 4 nahiri. I think with remand, electrolyze, serum visions and nahiri you have plenty of card selection, the deck seems a lot more like a tempo shell ala splinter twin than pure turn 20 control. I don't modern will ever have a very late game type of control deck, the format just has to much speed etc. Just like Miracles has a great sweeper then game enders, now modern does as well. I also don't have 4 visions and don't want to aquire them :P

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

jassi007 posted:

Some have like GerryT's MOCS build, but the SCG Open winner only had 2 and they were SB. I'm not sure you need 4 serum visions 4 ancestral visions and 4 nahiri. I think with remand, electrolyze, serum visions and nahiri you have plenty of card selection, the deck seems a lot more like a tempo shell ala splinter twin than pure turn 20 control. I don't modern will ever have a very late game type of control deck, the format just has to much speed etc. Just like Miracles has a great sweeper then game enders, now modern does as well. I also don't have 4 visions and don't want to aquire them :P

Very much agree with this and it's also ridiculous that a non mythic with 3 printings is still 40+ bucks. I'm going to play Jeskai Nahiri in Charlotte and I'm going to try to make it work without Vision but I think the card is great with Nahiri since it's much easier to dump it late game.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
What's a good way to sleeve a valuable-ish standard deck? I've currently got mine double-sleeved in the thin sleeves and KMC hyper mattes and keep having to squeeze the air out, although they handle fine. Problem is that for GP Manchester I'm running BW Control, so need a couple of emblems, Ally Knight, Vampire Knights, Human Clerics, Zombies, Warriors and probably something I've forgotten, and it's not all going to fit in my Ultimate Guard Flip-and-Tray.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Very much agree with this and it's also ridiculous that a non mythic with 3 printings is still 40+ bucks. I'm going to play Jeskai Nahiri in Charlotte and I'm going to try to make it work without Vision but I think the card is great with Nahiri since it's much easier to dump it late game.

Time Spiral, an old duel deck 1-of, and a $120 duel deck anthology with a 1-of don't really count as "3 printings"...

BizarroAzrael posted:

What's a good way to sleeve a valuable-ish standard deck? I've currently got mine double-sleeved in the thin sleeves and KMC hyper mattes and keep having to squeeze the air out, although they handle fine. Problem is that for GP Manchester I'm running BW Control, so need a couple of emblems, Ally Knight, Vampire Knights, Human Clerics, Zombies, Warriors and probably something I've forgotten, and it's not all going to fit in my Ultimate Guard Flip-and-Tray.

After you get the air out they pretty much stop inflating, especially if you store them in a not-too-loose deck box. I double sleeve all my modern stuff and I prefer the peace of mind there.

My favorite deck boxes for double-sleeved decks with sideboard and room for a divider and tokens are the Legion boxes. I have... too many... modern decks and I got this 5-pack to store them all in a way where I could quickly remember which was in which: http://www.amazon.com/Legion-SUPER-Iconic-Pokemon-YuGiOh/dp/B019QQ3C9E These are my favorite deckboxes for modern for the reasons I mentioned, and the velcro is sturdy enough to keep them closed in a bag, unlike some of the janky magnetic ones (Ultimate Guard aside).

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 16, 2016

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'm under the impression that double sleeving a deck doesn't really preserve it any better than single sleeving in high quality sleeves.

Are we getting Eternal Masters spoilers today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

mcmagic posted:

I'm under the impression that double sleeving a deck doesn't really preserve it any better than single sleeving in high quality sleeves.

It keeps the top edges a little more preserved, and all the edges on flip cards

• Locked thread