Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Her mutant power was originally probability manipulation. But like usual, she did all kinds of stuff that you couldn't actually explain as probability based. Took after her father in that regard.

It was later changed to her power really being chaos magic the whole time. She just didn't know it, or how to use it right.

Her power is literally just magic. In the movies it's telekinesis and telepathy though. They changed it.

Also now of course Magneto's not her father and she's not a mutant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Wait, I thought her power was probability manipulation stuff, which she paired with chaos magic, since usually chaos magic is like uncontrollably random, but she can harness it since she's lucky enough that she never has the bad parts of chaos magic?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wanda's power is basically whatever the poo poo they want it to be.

Civil War's "I move stuff with my mind" is just a lot more straightforward even if it isn't very Witchy.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I feel the one character that's died in recent years that works better for the story dead is Xavier.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

X-O posted:

I feel the one character that's died in recent years that works better for the story dead is Xavier.

Xavier being dead at least means he can (more or less) be an ideal instead of Every Single Writer doing a story about how maybe Xavier isn't that good after all and look at the new lovely thing he did.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wanda's powers are she loving sucks that what her loving powers are.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Isn't probability the power they have to Jynx in the Teen Titans cartoon?

Travis343 posted:

1) She is basically magic - I think the official line is that her powers 'affect probability', but over the years she does pretty much whatever. She fires 'hex bolts' that just sort of hurt people nonspecifically - I guess she's altering the probability of them falling down or getting sudden concussions or falling asleep or whatever. Somebody who gives a poo poo about Wanda can probably answer this better.

2) Barry Allen, Jason Todd, Jean Grey, Uncle Ben and the Parkers.

Oh I wasn't counting the people who die in origin stories like Uncle Ben or the Waynes or Krypton.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Add Mar-vell and Jean Grey to the better off dead pile. Not that they're not good characters, they just have two of the biggest deaths in comics. Main universe Logan can probably stay dead as long as we have Old Man Logan, and Laura as Wolverine. We're not really missing anything that the original Wolverine brought to the table.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's kind of weird that, in Claremont's second or third issue on X-Men, he'd already decided to kill off one member of the new team, and it came down to a choice between Wolverine and Thunderhawk. Imagine how different things may have turned out if it had gone the other way. I reckon he would've been back before too long.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

SonicRulez posted:

Finally, I got through the whole thread just to make sure I didn't ask something redundant. I have two questions.

1) What exactly are Wanda's powers? With all the buzz around Civil War, I've been getting full "You read all comics ever, right?" and people want me to explain her. I always say that her powers are just whatever bullshit they need to be for the story, but that's not fair. Is it just reality bending that sometimes looks like telekinesis and telepathy?

There's a Simpsons episode where Lucy Lawless is at a comic book convention, and she's being asked annoyingly pedantic questions about plot holes in Xena: The Warrior Princess. Her response is, "Uh, yeah, well, whenever you notice something like that ... a wizard did it. "

Wanda is that wizard.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Her power is having babies with a robot

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Die Laughing posted:

Add Mar-vell and Jean Grey to the better off dead pile. Not that they're not good characters, they just have two of the biggest deaths in comics. Main universe Logan can probably stay dead as long as we have Old Man Logan, and Laura as Wolverine. We're not really missing anything that the original Wolverine brought to the table.

The funny thing about Jean Grey is she's the only character who's got a decent excuse for coming back to life; she's called the Phoenix, after all.

She's been dead for a really long time, too, hasn't she? (Not counting the All-New X-Men version.) Was the last time she died in Grant Morrison's run?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's kind of weird that, in Claremont's second or third issue on X-Men, he'd already decided to kill off one member of the new team, and it came down to a choice between Wolverine and Thunderhawk. Imagine how different things may have turned out if it had gone the other way. I reckon he would've been back before too long.

Probably not. That was before the Hellfire Club arc elevated him to king badass and he was instead the guy who rushed in and got beat down to prove they needed to work as a team, he'd probably have been largely forgotten.

I still like the reality warping power set for Wanda the current "no it's totally actually magic" is pretty dumb. Have you ever been so mad at your dad you broke reality to not be his daughter? Wanda has. Several times.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

SynthOrange posted:

Her power is having babies with a robot
Sounds improbable.

also, he is a synthozoid

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

He's like Bicentennial Man, right? He's a robot but he can like, ejaculate.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Travis343 posted:

Nope. Wanda has to use magic to make kids.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Wheat Loaf posted:

How would he have killed Wolverine? Was this before the huge power creep? I mean I know it was before his trips to the sun and what not, but surely you couldn't just shoot him.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

SonicRulez posted:

How would he have killed Wolverine? Was this before the huge power creep? I mean I know it was before his trips to the sun and what not, but surely you couldn't just shoot him.

I'm not even sure if his healing factor was established by that point.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

If I remember correctly, his healing factor wasn't an original part of his powers, so he could ostensibly die just the same as anybody else.

It's also why this panel is so famous, because it wasn't certain whether or not wolverine actually died from the plunge before it popped at the end of the issue, and he could have very easily done so (and it's also where Wolverine basically got his reputation for being a huge badass):

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

SirDan3k posted:

I still like the reality warping power set for Wanda the current "no it's totally actually magic" is pretty dumb. Have you ever been so mad at your dad you broke reality to not be his daughter? Wanda has. Several times.

What is magic besides the power to warp reality?

Personally, I've always dug the idea that Wanda uses the trappings of magic to focus and control her otherwise insane powers, which makes her fairly indistinguishable from a non-mutant magician.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SonicRulez posted:

Wolverine died from Magneto making his claws stab him in the throat in a What If. He used to be super killable.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

And if Days of Future Past a Sentinel scorched him til he was just a skeleton, something he stupidly is able to recover from these days.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

CzarChasm posted:

Never even heard of this before. So they just went and updated all the classic Spider-man stories because...It's easier than writing new stories? It would be a jumping on point for new readers? Computers didn't exist in the original stories and those are a key element to his origin?

Couple of pages back, but it's the second one. Marvel realized that a big advantage DC had at the time was providing easy jumping on points to their comics because things reset so often and that the concept of Legacy as a creative focus meant that superhero titles were mantles that could be passed down, with attendant rewritten origin stories. In contrast, Marvel's universe is constantly progressive and ostensibly speaking, even now the Peter Parker from 1962 is the same one who exists in 2016, so at the time Marvel figured that the best way to grab new readers was by trying to sorta, kinda, sorta maybe reboot the character but not really. Hence: Chapter One, the softest of soft reboots that was just rewritten original stories with changes that missed the point entirely or tried very hard to stress how "current" the comic now was that made it, ironically, look super dated especially looking back.

Like, the absolute best way to compare how pointless Chapter One was is just by comparing the cover of its first issue to Amazing Fantasy #15

"Though the world may mock Peter Parker, the timid teenager...it will soon marvel at the awesome might of Spider-Man!" is some hilariously melodramatic dialog, but it makes you pumped to read the loving comic. It's got that over-the-top goofiness and bravado that makes you want to read more, especially over "Everybody laughs at the loser, Peter Parker -- but no one'll be laughing at the Amazing Spider-Man!", which is basically the exact same dialog just written less cleverly (why use laugh twice over what Lee does by having both verbs be different in "mock" and "marvel"?)

And then there's the fact that Byrne's art looks worse than art drawn forty years prior. I mean, sure, that's partially unfair because it's Kirby but that's more the point. If you emulate one of the most iconic covers ever then the fact that Spider-Man's left arm placement makes the web he's swinging on not make sense even by the loose physics established in comic books or just how the whole image in Chapter One just looks lifeless in comparison to AF 15's real sense of movement, it makes the entire venture look like a bad copy of some of the most beloved comics in history. Which is exactly what it was, a lifeless and bad imitation of what came before that was changed just for the sake of changing it.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 16, 2016

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

SynthOrange posted:

And if Days of Future Past a Sentinel scorched him til he was just a skeleton, something he stupidly is able to recover from these days.
Punisher just pushed him into a transformer for the same effect.

e: also I love that homages to that cover.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh god that webline is attached to the ground they're going to die

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah, that's always the part that pisses me off the most about that dumb loving cover. The left arm placement is by-far the most significant change Byrne makes, and it makes it so Spidey's about to swing into the ground at full speed. Seriously, it's a pointless change that only serves to make the cover make no loving sense any more.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The thing is that Chapter One wasn't trying to be like Season One, an easy modernized origin new readers can use to get the gist of the characters before reading the new stuff, it was John Byrne trying to make his much worse take on Spider-man's formative years into the new canon, replacing the old one permanently. That took it from pointless and bad to offensive and disgusting.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Personally, I've always dug the idea that Wanda uses the trappings of magic to focus and control her otherwise insane powers, which makes her fairly indistinguishable from a non-mutant magician.
Yeah. I like "freak mutant who just happens to have magical control" better than "she can make the .00000000000000000000001% things happen like POOF your shorts are now snakes somehow" via random probability.

I'm frankly surprised we haven't gotten a "master of quantum entanglement/dimensional branes" pseudoscience explanation yet.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah. I like "freak mutant who just happens to have magical control" better than "she can make the .00000000000000000000001% things happen like POOF your shorts are now snakes somehow" via random probability.

I'm frankly surprised we haven't gotten a "master of quantum entanglement/dimensional branes" pseudoscience explanation yet.

I think it was in West Coast Avengers where Hank Pym was trying to figure out how her powers work, so he had her break a molecularly-flawless steel bar (or something like that) so he could compare before-and-after analyses. She broke the bar, but when Pym looked at before-and-after pictures, the flaws she created to break the bar now appeared in the "before" picture as well as in "after". (So I guess she altered the past to make the bar always-flawed in the computer analysis, but Pym still remembered that it hadn't been that way, so maybe she was better at rewriting machine memory.)

Although it was shortly afterwards that Wanda's life got really lovely, so who knows if any of it actually happened any more. :shrug:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Wheat Loaf posted:

Thunderbird :eng101:

Also I believe the story goes that Claremont didn't really like Wolverine at all, and Byrne convinced him to keep him on the team later when they were working together. I think once they started developing his character more, Claremont became more attached to him. I do like the subsequent story that Claremont basically convinced Miller to collaborate with him on the Wolverine limited series while they drove to SDCC.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

irlZaphod posted:

I do like the subsequent story that Claremont basically convinced Miller to collaborate with him on the Wolverine limited series while they drove to SDCC.

I've heard that Miller didn't like Wolverine all that much either until they did the miniseries, which brought him around to liking the character as he worked on it. Curiously enough, I've heard that Dave Cockrum didn't particularly like Wolverine either, because Nightcrawler was his favourite.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nightcrawler is the best of the second group of X-Men, so that holds water.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

SirDan3k posted:

Probably not. That was before the Hellfire Club arc elevated him to king badass and he was instead the guy who rushed in and got beat down to prove they needed to work as a team, he'd probably have been largely forgotten.

Yeah, recasting Wanda as an actual witch seems to miss something of what's cool about her. Ridiculous levels of probability manipulation is at least a power that gets you thinking a bit more than just generic "it's magic".

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Plus, the codename "Scarlet Witch" is probably just cooler if it's metaphorical rather than literal.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've heard that Miller didn't like Wolverine all that much either until they did the miniseries, which brought him around to liking the character as he worked on it. Curiously enough, I've heard that Dave Cockrum didn't particularly like Wolverine either, because Nightcrawler was his favourite.

This reminds me of how Alex Ross hated Wolverine and made him look like the shittiest dude in Earth X. Then he saw the first X-Men movie, decided he liked Wolverine, and doubled back on his treatment for the Earth X sequels that nobody read.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Travis343 posted:

Bicentennial Man can e-jac?

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
So someone online tried to convince me that Superboy Prime isn't a bad character, just that he had been very inconsistently written. Now, I only know of him via Infinite Crisis and I'm not even sure of his origin. I know he was in Green Lantern but that's about it.

What exactly is his DEAL, is he even still around?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Superman Prime is great.

He's Kylo Ren.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

He isn't around anymore but he is basically DC comic's very bitter angry response to people complaining about their violence and grimness. Which they did by making him a literal fanboy who complains about violence and grimness while ripping off arms.

As originally envisioned he was stupid as poo poo but there were a few amusing stories with him. They were still backhanded shots at complaining fans but when one ends with Supermanboy Prime literally posting on DC Comic's message boards about how bad they are it's hard not to laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The easiest summation of Superboy-Prime is that he's a Superman from our universe, our earth, where all comic book characters are simply comic book characters. Since he's quite literally the audience stand-in character in its purest form, the writers often would write him as the fanbase, leading up to Infinite Crisis where he, having been sent to a pocket dimension (essentially heaven) from Crisis on Infinite Earths, gets all angry at what the superheroes are doing in what he considers to be wrong or immoral behavior (behavior he enabled via his sacrifice at the end of Crisis on Infinite Earths). Then he becomes Evil.

Basically Superboy-Prime is the thinnest possible metaphor - not even a metaphor, really - of what DC considers to be "bad fans". It's a confused criticism because Superboy is set up as a guy who dislikes the "darkening" of heroes in stuff like Identity Crisis, but he's also really violent and a murderer so he's a hypocrite? Maybe it's a repudiation of the same (DC agreeing with his criticism that superheroes should be more heroic), considering that he's explicitly a villain who ends up murdering a bunch of people, including beating Golden Age Superman to death with his bare hands? It's hard to say, really.

I think Superboy-Prime is an interesting character in the sense that any superhero that exists by viewing from the outside of the fourth wall looking in is an interesting hero (the recently introduced Gwenpool is that, for instance, on Marvel's end), but it's all sort of cheapened because it becomes DC sort of setting up a strawman of what they perceive criticism to be. It not only comes across as childish and petty, but as outright disingenuous because none of Superboy-Prime's character beats are consistent to his character.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 18, 2016