Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

You Am I posted:

Ewwww, a puff piece on Sophie Mirabella on 730 :barf:

Yeah but it's just her complaining that everyone is stabbing her in the back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
why hasn't there been a legal challenge in the high court re gay marriage? Isn't that what got it in in the US?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

starkebn posted:

why hasn't there been a legal challenge in the high court re gay marriage? Isn't that what got it in in the US?

There was one, but it was about striking down the ACT's provision. In answer to your question, there is no comparable feature in our Constitution that would protect such rights.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

she disabled her twitter :ironicat:

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Jumpingmanjim posted:

There was one, but it was about striking down the ACT's provision. In answer to your question, there is no comparable feature in our Constitution that would protect such rights.

Now if we had a Human Rights Act...

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

BBJoey posted:

she disabled her twitter :ironicat:

It's almost like being smeared and vilified sucks.. who knew, "The Australian", who knew!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
There is nothing wrong with having friends who happen to be your political opposite. There is life outside politics. Repent poll Bludger. Repent!

*posts first dog on the moon*

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

Anidav posted:

There is life outside politics.

You have no proof of this

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Careers Australia has come to an agreement with the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) to repay to the Australian Government any funds it obtained by signing up vulnerable students using false claims.

It has repaid $44.3 million to the Government after it cancelled 12,130 bogus enrolments.

This included students who were signed up but never actually undertook any study.

Careers Australia has received $190 million from the Government since 2013 under the VET-FEE-HELP student loan scheme, which extended HECS-style loans to students studying diploma courses.

During 2013 and 2015 Careers Australia signed up 40,000 students and officially enrolled about half that number, signing them up to student debts.

Today in a statement from the ACCC the company admitted that through the conduct of some its door-to-door agents, the company made false or misleading representations and engaged in unconscionable conduct.

Do you know more about this story? Emailinvestigations@abc.net.au

This included misrepresenting that its courses were free, would help people find jobs and offering inducements such as free iPads.

This included allowing 80 consumers from a remote Aboriginal community in Yarrabah, Queensland to be enrolled courses and incur debts without alerting them to the fact they would incur a debt.

"This conduct affected some of the most vulnerable and disadvantaged groups of consumers in Australia," ACCC chairman Rod Sims said.

Students can have debt cancelled under agreement

Careers Australia opened its doors in 2006 and is one of the largest private training colleges in Australia with 15 campuses around the country.

Under the agreement with the ACCC, Careers Australia will also tell students they can have their debt cancelled, train and review its staff and agree to behave better in the future.

This is the fifth college to face action from the ACCC, which has said it has about 10 colleges in its sights.

In a statement, a Careers Australia spokesman said the company self-reported concerns to the regulator in April 2015 after their own internal systems alerted them to issues.

The ABC's 7.30 program reported concerns about the company's recruitment practices in February 2015.

The company spokesman said it found some marketing agents selling courses on the college's behalf had engaged in "inappropriate conduct".

"These practices were discovered by the robust internal systems used within Careers Australia. These same systems have been used to demonstrate, to the ACCC and other regulators, our actions taken and our ongoing compliance with the VET FEE-HELP regulations," he said.

He said the company had repaid funds of its own volition and was no longer working with the marketing company involved.

"Careers Australia also took a range of remedial steps prior to ACCC intervention, including voluntarily repaying or re-crediting VET FEE-HELP amounts owing to the Commonwealth for a number of students, ceasing to use the relevant marketing agents and improving policies and procedures," he said

'Concerns were initially ignored'

A Tasmanian community organisation that first raised the alarm about the unethical behaviour said concerns were ignored when first raised.

Neighbourhood Houses Tasmania runs 35 community centres across the state providing much-needed assistance to struggling areas.

Executive officer John Hooper said Careers Australia knew far earlier there were problems.

"It was about two years ago that our neighbourhood houses had salesmen coming through about seven communities on the same day across Tasmania and immediately we were concerned about how a lot of vulnerable people got sucked into it," he said.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Yeah but it's just her complaining that everyone is stabbing her in the back.

Yeah, it didn't show her in a good light in the end. Turned the TV off as soon as Kate Carnell showed her child killing face on 730 however

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

You Am I posted:

Kate Carnell showed her child killing face

hahahaha this reference will never stop being funny.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Explain it to the dumb people. And me.

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

Thats me

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Starshark posted:

Explain it to the dumb people. And me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Canberra_Hospital_implosion#Implosion

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Canberra_Hospital_implosion#Aftermath

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Oh, that was her. LOL.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Which is why most of our religious institutions and socially conservative think tanks are opposed to Australia getting its own Bill of Rights; they think it will be used to get stuff like gay marriage legislated through the courts, instead of having to go through a political process which they are capable of influencing.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Does anyone read the Telegraph on a daily basis and if so, are they still doing that TURNBULL VS SHORTEN 5-0 DAY 5 horseshit? I'm just wondering how long they'll keep it up if the polls keep going south for Turnbull.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Wheezle posted:

Does that really preclude having friends across the political divide?

Yeah actually, "I fight Tories, it's what I do" is not compatible with being besties with an utterly punchable Adelaide toff who thinks the working class are an odious inconvenience.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Solemn Sloth posted:

Yeah actually, "I fight Tories, it's what I do" is not compatible with being besties with an utterly punchable Adelaide toff who thinks the working class are an odious inconvenience.

But what if people on the internet think I have no friends, because of the way I answer this question!

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

hooman posted:

It's almost like being smeared and vilified sucks.. who knew, "The Australian", who knew!

all you have to do is drive a man to near suicide and the so called 'tolerant' left come out and say mean things to you on Twitter :qq:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Kate Tempest just got a really good clap while decrying the evils of global capitalism on Q&A. :unsmith:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Jumpingmanjim posted:

hahahaha this reference will never stop being funny.

Don't know about funny, Carnell should be a national disgrace and the business group that hires her should be equally shamed. Disgusting piece of Tory garbage, who has a long list of offences.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I should say that I don't think less of Albanese for being friends with Liberals.

I think less of Albanese for being friends with Pyne.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Roy Morgon says Labour would win if the election was held today.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

This is an incredible image. Labor's definitely going to win. Turnbull started losing popularity immediately, the only reason the libs looked to be doing well at all was due to their knifing of Abbott.

I'm going to make $80.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
What made them switch places instantly a while before Turnbull got in?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I thought we took Morgan with a grain of salt

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Skellybones posted:

What made them switch places instantly a while before Turnbull got in?

Actually all the arrows seem to be misplaced by a few months. You can tell from the Rudd-slide. Turnbull did get a few months of honeymoon before crashing.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

despite this, ALPs odds on sportsbet have gotten worse to 3.20.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Actually all the arrows seem to be misplaced by a few months. You can tell from the Rudd-slide. Turnbull did get a few months of honeymoon before crashing.

So the question now is who will knife Shorten in, let's say, 2018?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Skellybones posted:

So the question now is who will knife Shorten in, let's say, 2018?

Chris Bowen's goatee.

Anidav posted:

despite this, ALPs odds on sportsbet have gotten worse to 3.20.

:(
I just put another $20 on them yesterday.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

If you've been following, Galaxy has the Federal LNP leading in Queensland so unless that changes, I don't see the ALP winning at all.
"The Courier-Mail today brings the Coalition one of its most encouraging poll results in a while, crediting them with leads on federal voting intention in Queensland of 54-46 on two-party preferred, and 46% to 33% on the primary vote. This compares with 57.0-43.0 at the 2013 election, and primary votes of Coalition 45.7% and Labor 29.8%. The only seats a uniform swing of 3% would net for Labor would be the Rockhampton region seat of Capricornia (margin 0.8%), which Labor has only lost three times since 1961, and the northern Brisbane seat of Petrie (0.5%). The poll was conducted Tuesday and Wednesday evening from a sample of 1176."

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Anidav posted:

If you've been following, Galaxy has the Federal LNP leading in Queensland so unless that changes, I don't see the ALP winning at all.
"The Courier-Mail today brings the Coalition one of its most encouraging poll results in a while, crediting them with leads on federal voting intention in Queensland of 54-46 on two-party preferred, and 46% to 33% on the primary vote. This compares with 57.0-43.0 at the 2013 election, and primary votes of Coalition 45.7% and Labor 29.8%. The only seats a uniform swing of 3% would net for Labor would be the Rockhampton region seat of Capricornia (margin 0.8%), which Labor has only lost three times since 1961, and the northern Brisbane seat of Petrie (0.5%). The poll was conducted Tuesday and Wednesday evening from a sample of 1176."

Would swings elsewhere cover for how poo poo Queensland is though?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I doubt it, given how lackluster NSW ALP is they simply don't have a path in current poll results. This election hangs heavily on QLD and NSW. In QLD the State ALP Government is losing popularity due to percieved inaction due to a hung parliament.

In NSW no one can remember Luke whathisface's name.

Sure you could argue seat by seat polling would be better for QLD...

...That will come out soon but people are using QLD State Govt's dwindling popularity as a starting point for deciding their vote federally and it's not looking so good given the results in progress but it might turn around later. I can say that the ALP seems to be losing ground in Griffith for reasons unknown

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I don't think the ALP should be campaigning so much in Victoria, trying to shield away the Green tide that is slowly happening. It's a waste of resources because progressive voters make up their minds fairly early on in the election cycle. Bill should pretty much spend the entire campaign in QLD but battling The Greens seems to be in their DNA now which is odd given that the easier scenario would be to consider yourself to only have one opponent rather than fabricate a reason to have two. I saw Shorten bad mouthing Di Natalie earlier today and I just cannot fathom why.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

That's a hell of a rosy poll in Qld. I'd need to know a bit more about it and have some other supporting polls before I spouted off about Qld intentions. As a rule I trust Galaxy a lot less than the other polls anyway.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
And didn't the LNP only pick up Petrie and Capricornia in Queensland last election, but lost one to PUP? Getting those back would basically give Labor the 2010 result.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I think Crikey was the one that said that the ALP needs to win 5 seats in QLD to form Government realistically.

EDIT: And indeed putting the Morgan Result into ABC Calculator gives the ALP -
Leichhardt
Forde
Brisbane
Bonner
Capricornia
Petrie

Anidav fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 16, 2016

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Try as they might, I don't think Crikey can influence the vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I don't see the ALP winning without QLD. NXT will eat up votes in the South. Tasmania is holding for the LNP and NSW is under Bairdmania.

• Locked thread