Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm loving my DS3 playthrough right now. I rolled a Knight, and he suits my fight style perfectly. Just gotten through High Wall of Lothric area and I scoured it from top to bottom to pick up all the goodies, my next spoilers are gonna be about this area. Didn't manage to get up past that dragon on the wall though, or open the cell door that is to the right of the dragon, but everything else I owned apart from that little dragon fire bit. Managed to beat the Man of Pus too

I managed to beat the first ingame boss on my first try. I somehow find boss fights easier to do on a first go than I find certain mobs! Those Knight guys near the end of High Wall of Lothric are still tough to me. I can defeat one without taking any damage (I usually put away my shield since I just dodge) but they're absolute motherfuckers. I tried learning to parry against them but it's too tough. I've never incorporated backstabs cause I still don't really know how to stagger enemies. Right at the end of the zone, there was this boss npc guy the Knight with the blue eyes who does that awesome poo poo to his sword. I kept getting absolutely wrecked by him, despite popping stamina regen weed and trying my best with a full 5/5 estus flask. I decided to leave him cause I was getting annoyed having to run back each time from the bonfire. Owned him on my first attempt after I beat the 2nd boss and levelled up a little. Pretty sure the Ember buff I got though is the reason I survived.

Made my way to the end-zone boss, and managed to gently caress him up first try. I think I may have cheesed it a little bit, because I'd get really close to him after these long sweeping attacks he'd do and I'd manage to miss his next strikes whilst hitting him myself. Don't know if that's a legit tactic or not. Vordt can suck my dick.

I'm in the spooky skeleton town now and I'm loving the atmosphere. The adrenaline rush and stress is 100% real when you're balls-deep in a zone with tonnes of souls on you and you're just hoping there'll be a bonfire around the next corner.

PS: Knight build question. I'm putting most of my stats into mainly strength, endurance and vitality. I wanna level up my dexterity too so I can wield the Lothric Knight Sword but I feel like I'll be mixing my stats up too much and end up a weaker character.

Also, is there any way to return titanite shards from an upgraded weapon? I stupidly upgraded my starter knight sword to +3 or something and I kinda wanna use a better weapon but I don't want to waste all those titanite shards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Loopoo posted:

I'm loving my DS3 playthrough right now.

I'm being completely genuine when I say I love posts like this. It reminds me of the enthusiasm and excitement I felt playing through DS1 for the first time and that moment in Undead Burg when everything "clicked" and I started wrapping my head around how the game worked. Such great memories :allears:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

:stare: This is us.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

I don't know if this has been posted already, but I liked how this video explained hyperarmor vs poise. There are some good examples on how to use different weapons skills and hyperarmor (primarily in pvp, but it's still helpful if you're using an ultra greatsword in pve), although though some of you might not agree with his conclusion. Definitely helped me with my ultra greatsword run though!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSCOgi5imGA

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Azran posted:

:stare: This is us.

Please close the door, I'm working on my tan.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Loopoo posted:

PS: Knight build question. I'm putting most of my stats into mainly strength, endurance and vitality. I wanna level up my dexterity too so I can wield the Lothric Knight Sword but I feel like I'll be mixing my stats up too much and end up a weaker character.

Also, is there any way to return titanite shards from an upgraded weapon? I stupidly upgraded my starter knight sword to +3 or something and I kinda wanna use a better weapon but I don't want to waste all those titanite shards.

There's an infusion called Refined that increases scaling from both stats. Cranking up both your Strength and Dexterity makes a Refined weapon really shine, and the Lothric Knight Sword is one of the best things to make Refined. You can't unupgrade a weapon unfortunately, so you'll be stuck with your Longsword for a little longer. It's one of the best weapons, though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hypha posted:

Please close the door, I'm working on my tan.

I paid good money for those crazy bird assholes to have a rave over me and you had to go and ruin it!

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

I'm being completely genuine when I say I love posts like this. It reminds me of the enthusiasm and excitement I felt playing through DS1 for the first time and that moment in Undead Burg when everything "clicked" and I started wrapping my head around how the game worked. Such great memories :allears:

I always thought people overhyped the experience, but I really understand now. I totally feel what you mean for the bit I bolded. I'm dodging, blocking and attacking much better now that things have clicked into place. It's such a satisfying feeling seeing yourself scale in skill and power. I might be confessing a sin by saying this but DS3 is my first DS game. A friend tried to get me to play 1 & 2 but I just found it very confusing and unforgiving. DS3 was a bit nicer when it came to gradually upping the difficulty.

Alabaster White posted:

There's an infusion called Refined that increases scaling from both stats. Cranking up both your Strength and Dexterity makes a Refined weapon really shine, and the Lothric Knight Sword is one of the best things to make Refined. You can't unupgrade a weapon unfortunately, so you'll be stuck with your Longsword for a little longer. It's one of the best weapons, though.

Sweet, I'll make that the goal I work towards. Is there any way for me to down-level so I can respec my stats?

Also, I've been selling all the embers I get. Am I doing the right thing or have I just hosed myself for later in the game?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Loopoo posted:

Sweet, I'll make that the goal I work towards. Is there any way for me to down-level so I can respec my stats?

Also, I've been selling all the embers I get. Am I doing the right thing or have I just hosed myself for later in the game?

You can't ever lower your level, but there are respecs later.

Embers are pretty valuable at least for the 30% health boost. They're fairly plentiful but I'd stop selling them for when the game kicks into full gear and you'll actually want them.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Dear Kong of of the storm

No matter how cool you look that doesn't change the fact that you are a punk rear end bitch

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Loopoo posted:

If you plan on doing co-op, you'll get plenty, so do what you want. But maybe don't sell them until you're further in the game, I eventually got to a boss where the embers I had saved saved me

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yes dumbasses, when I put my white sign down near a boss I expect to stand around doing nothing until a twink shows up so you can watch us fight for some reason

For some reason the hosts on average seem way dumber than in any other souls game, or bloodborne. I am running into this a lot, it's like they all want to run lovely fight clubs and do so by grabbing anyone whose co-op sign they can find, no matter where

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Digirat posted:

Yes dumbasses, when I put my white sign down near a boss I expect to stand around doing nothing until a twink shows up so you can watch us fight for some reason

For some reason the hosts on average seem way dumber than in any other souls game, or bloodborne. I am running into this a lot, it's like they all want to run lovely fight clubs and do so by grabbing anyone whose co-op sign they can find, no matter where

This is why phantoms can also black stone out, that and being stuck outside fog doors still.

I did have one guy doing this kind enough to be in Way of the Blue at least and I got summoned in and earnt a couple of ears from a single Darkmoon summon, 19/30.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Loopoo posted:

Made my way to the end-zone boss, and managed to gently caress him up first try. I think I may have cheesed it a little bit, because I'd get really close to him after these long sweeping attacks he'd do and I'd manage to miss his next strikes whilst hitting him myself. Don't know if that's a legit tactic or not. Vordt can suck my dick.

I'm in the spooky skeleton town now and I'm loving the atmosphere. The adrenaline rush and stress is 100% real when you're balls-deep in a zone with tonnes of souls on you and you're just hoping there'll be a bonfire around the next corner.

A legit tactic for most bosses is to get up in there face or rather behind them, so their attacks can't hit you, while you hit them (later bosses have counters to this, you will have to learn).

It might feel like it takes a while on your first play -through, but you will relatively early in the game, get access to buying unlimited titanite shards and when the designers think you should have at least +3 weapons, a lot of the mobs will start dropping them, so don't worry about upgrading. Also the Knight starter weapon is a good weapon.

The lothric knight weapon is pretty good, but there are better straight swords for a strength build. That said, don't worry about raising your dex to 16 or even 18 on a strength build. A lot of good strength weapons require between 14 and 18 dex to wield.
You should raise your vigor too, having 20 vigor early (and later 27 for pve) give you a lot more survivability than high vitality (but raise vitality so you can use whatever armor and weapons you like, especially on your first run through)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
My point on parries is that unless you're running a super high spike damage weapon like DS greataxe you can't really punish well enough before they roll away. I was two handing gundyrs and would r1 straight through multiple parries and all it did was wear out estus. The r2 on gundrys is so slow the guy could whiff his parry then roll away.

And how could you ever get 1600 life as an invader? 40 vig is what, 1200 HP? Even if you stacked life ring, favor, and prisoners chain I don't think you can get there (and chain is likely counter productive)

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
is poise enabled yet

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's working as intended, yes

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Can someone explain the poise joke

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Despite being mentioned in equipment descriptions and weapon arts, poise as a stat either a) does nothing or b) has an effect so subtle that people can't tell if it's actually doing anything and the only official word from FROM (heh) is that it is 'working as intended' without bothering to say how.
Oh and someone messing around with the game code managed to turn on old style poise by changing one value from 0 to 1.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

They just downgraded the game's version to get rid of the freezing issue, apparently.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So any of you Pyro types got a tip for beating the Fire Demon on the way to Smoldering Lake?

My Fire Orbs which do 300-400 to everything else are barely tickling him. I know I could just run past him, but gently caress that.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

HaB posted:

So any of you Pyro types got a tip for beating the Fire Demon on the way to Smoldering Lake?

My Fire Orbs which do 300-400 to everything else are barely tickling him. I know I could just run past him, but gently caress that.

I shanked him with a Raw Astora Straight Sword without too much issue.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009
I, too, used RASS for the old demon king on my pyro. Edit: wait, the miniboss demon. Used RASS for that too.

mastershakeman posted:

My point on parries is that unless you're running a super high spike damage weapon like DS greataxe you can't really punish well enough before they roll away. I was two handing gundyrs and would r1 straight through multiple parries and all it did was wear out estus. The r2 on gundrys is so slow the guy could whiff his parry then roll away.

And how could you ever get 1600 life as an invader? 40 vig is what, 1200 HP? Even if you stacked life ring, favor, and prisoners chain I don't think you can get there (and chain is likely counter productive)

Chain is counter productive at that much vig, yes.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HaB posted:

Go get help from the skeletons and the mimic.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That mimic pretty much soloed him for me

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Sakurazuka posted:

The mimic got super owned by the fire demon when I tried :(

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

After reviewing the footage I was wrong and I was pretty close to killing it myself before noticed the mimic, went 'oh poo poo' and ran off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqmRua6D5Rk

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

The fire demons are actually super easy to cheese from a distance of you use cover

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

It's weird, my first playthrough the mimic just wrecked him. My second playthrough, the mimic got wrecked instead but then the skeletons mobbed him and tore him a new one.

So now that I think about it, I've had two complete playthroughs of the game and that's the one enemy I've never actually killed myself!

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Whoa.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

Parries make you eat damage or you partial and lose all your stamina and then also eat damage or as mentioned get backstabbed. To get parried you have to be pretty predictable because it has like 4 frames on fist weapons. Just jump attack or use a great weapon or several of the weapon arts that aren't parryable if you're that scared of getting parried.

Kild fucked around with this message at 13:24 on May 16, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

There any strike weapons that scale with dex?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

There any strike weapons that scale with dex?

Yorshka's spear and caestus (sorta) are the only natural ones. You're probably better off sharp infusing something.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Kild posted:

Yorshka's spear and caestus (sorta) are the only natural ones. You're probably better off sharp infusing something.

Nah this is for a gimmick.

Hm Sharp Drang Hammers+10 are D/B. nice.

[e]:Sharp Reinforced club+10 is E/A, AND has natural bleed.
Found it :getin:

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 13:42 on May 16, 2016

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Nah this is for a gimmick.

Hm Sharp Drang Hammers+10 are D/B. nice.

[e]:Sharp Reinforced club+10 is E/A, AND has natural bleed.
Found it :getin:

Putting sharp on a club seems very wrong.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Tykero posted:

Parries are fine, your idea is ridiculous.

Backstabbing parry fishers is easier at lower equip loads. If you have a fast enough weapon, you can kick-r1 them. Larger weapons can generally dead-angle them. Some weapons have unparryable weapon arts.

Don't engage a parry fisher the same way you do other players and expect to win. Dealing with them is pretty easy once you get the hang of it. You actually have quite a few mixup options.

Dead angling is obnoxious to pull off and I doubt it was ever intended. So I don't think it's a very good argument that parries are fine. I already mentioned unparryable weapons, which are all quite heavy and rather restrictive to your equipment options if you want to be packing one just in case.

My major issue is that parrying drags out fights even longer than they already are because now you have to constantly live in fear of dying in 1 shot and warp your entire fighting style around it. Yeah, being unpredictable with which moves you use helps, but so many attacks are parryable purely on reaction. So a whole lot of help that's going to do you unless you're using specific weapons.

I'm doubtful that a kick can actually be comboed into an R1. Every time I accidentally kicked in the middle of the combo, it always let them roll away. That was with straight swords, so plenty fast.

Genocyber posted:

Which is why I said you have to predict that they're going to parry. 90% of players, especially those with offhand caestuses or bucklers, tend to be highly predictable with that sort of thing.

And you can survive a hornet parry if you have good HP for that level you're PVPing at (e.g. 1600-ish at sl100-120). I do agree crits are a bit too strong and probably need a nerf but they're not impossible to deal with by any means.

Uhhh, 1600 HP? You get that if you're the host, embered, and have dumped 50 points into vigor, maybe. I don't think I even hit that when I'm embered at 40 vigor.

Kild posted:

Parries make you eat damage or you partial and lose all your stamina and then also eat damage or as mentioned get backstabbed. To get parried you have to be pretty predictable because it has like 4 frames on fist weapons. Just jump attack or use a great weapon or several of the weapon arts that aren't parryable if you're that scared of getting parried.

Jump attacks are so heinously slow that I'm pretty sure your opponent would have to have actual brain damage to be hit by one. I swear to god your character actually just, pauses in the air for a second.

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 13:54 on May 16, 2016

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I think I was just invaded by my first hacker... One hit killed with Curse, took about a normal hits worth of HP damage but just died and my body crystalled up, no bar or anything just the effect.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Trick Question posted:

I seem to have missed whatever characters teach pyromancy and sorcery somehow, though. Without spoiling anything, can I go back to pick them up or have I hosed things permanently? I'm sure I've missed a billion secrets and hidden areas, but I'd assumed they'd be more out in the open.

Pyromancy you should be fine - go to the undead settlement and turn right at the first tree that has an evangelist. Follow that route and you'll get to a part where you should see Pyro teacher in a cage.

Sorcery you might be out of luck - he's just before Crystal Sage.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Obligatum VII posted:

Uhhh, 1600 HP? You get that if you're the host, embered, and have dumped 50 points into vigor, maybe. I don't think I even hit that when I'm embered at 40 vigor.

You should have more than that when you're embered at 40 Vigor and wearing any one of the three +HP rings (Life, FAP, Prisoner's Chain)

It's a little overstated but given that all three of those rings are decent and a 120 PVP build should have 40+ Vig, it's not like, crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Kild posted:

I keep saying this. I'm not getting parried. The problem is that outside s very small subset of weapons you can't actually kill a guy spamming parry before he rolls off to estus.

Maybe at sl80 you can where people have lower vig and vit, but not at 120.