Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

wateroverfire posted:

Goons seem to treat anything requiring interacting with other people as an insurmountable hardship. Therefore asking someone to knock the noise off is doomed to fail, going to the condo board is impossible, and airBNB is awful for possibly hypothetically putting them in a position to have to deal with people.

Also, San Fran density restrictions do way more to gently caress up its housing market than AirBNB ever could.

Is your "argument" that people can just deal with bad guests themselves and that airbnb might cause problems but actually it's not as much of a cause as other stuff? Seems a bit weak to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The kind of people who are lovely guests who make a ton of noise are the same type of people who won't be reasoned with if you approach them and go "Hey, can you cut down on the noise?"

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

There is a solution:
A violent uprising and execution of all landlords and the 1% in general.

It has a big problem though:
It involves going outside and interacting with people.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

blowfish posted:

i rather wouldn't deal with one group after the other of drunk douchebros trashing the place, no thank you

Do the people who use AirBNB tend to be more drunk douchebros than otherwise? That doesn't seem obvious at all. But if you do have that situation you can talk to 1) the guests, 2) the landlord or 3) your building's management, probaby in that order, and you can shut it down. It's the same process for dealing with disruptive long term tenants just easier because the landlord is not going to want trouble - especially if the operation is on the gray side of the law / building's bylaws.

WampaLord posted:

The kind of people who are lovely guests who make a ton of noise are the same type of people who won't be reasoned with if you approach them and go "Hey, can you cut down on the noise?"

I promise, if you act like a human being and just talk to people it'll almost always go fine. People, by and large, are not trying to be assholes or cause you inconvenience.

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

Is your "argument" that people can just deal with bad guests themselves and that airbnb might cause problems but actually it's not as much of a cause as other stuff? Seems a bit weak to me.

It's TBH that AirBNB in fact does not cause much of a problem and people are being oversensitive to things that are actually pretty normal when you're living in a multi-unit building.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Theranos's COO Balwani has stepped down as reported a few days ago. Probably re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic / basically optics at this point but they're getting a few more biotech people in senior leadership. It will be interesting to see who is up for that.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

wateroverfire posted:

I promise, if you act like a human being and just talk to people it'll almost always go fine. People, by and large, are not trying to be assholes or cause you inconvenience.

Some people aren't trying to be assholes but just are. That's the problem; the issue is that most people understand "don't poo poo where you eat" but quit caring if they know they won't have to deal with the mess. Aside from that some people have this attitude of "well if you don't like absurdly loud music that keeps the neighbors awake at 3 a.m. then the problem is you."

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Some people aren't trying to be assholes but just are. That's the problem; the issue is that most people understand "don't poo poo where you eat" but quit caring if they know they won't have to deal with the mess. Aside from that some people have this attitude of "well if you don't like absurdly loud music that keeps the neighbors awake at 3 a.m. then the problem is you."

Some people do, sure.

Most people, the vast majority, will go "Oh sorry, man. Didn't realize." and turn their music down. Just treat people like people, seriously.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Yeah, and then next weekend I'll get to do it with the new batch, and the weekend after and the weekend after...

If your neighbor has a party that disturbs you on a wednesday night because they finished their degree and are so excited, cool ok, it won't happen next week. If they rent out their house to a new group all the time there's a lot more chance that you'll have to deal with poo poo you don't want to on a regular basis. Also it destroys a sense of community, which makes things harder to deal with, even if it's just "oh the neighbors are feeding our pets while we attend the funeral across the world."

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Chakan posted:

Yeah, and then next weekend I'll get to do it with the new batch, and the weekend after and the weekend after...

If your neighbor has a party that disturbs you on a wednesday night because they finished their degree and are so excited, cool ok, it won't happen next week. If they rent out their house to a new group all the time there's a lot more chance that you'll have to deal with poo poo you don't want to on a regular basis. Also it destroys a sense of community, which makes things harder to deal with, even if it's just "oh the neighbors are feeding our pets while we attend the funeral across the world."

How is that different from short term rentals though? I mean the place I'm currently renting is only for 6 months, and most of my neighbours are roughly the same or very similar. And even disregarding that, well boohoo community spirit. It's all a bunch of bullshit that's limiting the opportunities of people to be more mobile, be it for time off or short-term work or whatever.

Do you feel the same about couch surfing, or long-term "guests"?

e: Because the person who says "lol your girlfriend or long-time friends can't stay over in the apartment you're renting because I'm afraid of talking to people I don't know" is a major dick. And unfortunately because you don't own the place (and I don't see a single different between doing this as an owner and a renter besides landlord's interest in less depreciation) people like that can seriously gently caress with your life sometimes.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 14:59 on May 16, 2016

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Unkempt posted:

APB 

quote:

STUDIO: 20th Century Fox TV 

TEAM: David Slack (w, ep), Len Wiseman (d, ep), David Bernardi (ep), Dennis Kim (ep), Todd Hoffman (ep) 

LOGLINE: An enigmatic tech billionaire purchases a troubled police precinct in the wake of a loved one’s murder. Can this eccentric and enigmatic figure’s cutting edge approach fix the broken ways of these blue-blooded veterans? 

CAST: Justin Kirk, Natalie Martinez, Caitlin Stasey, Taylor Handley, Eric Winter
If this is a parody, I would watch it. As long as all the "blue-blooded veterans" tell the "enigmatic tech billionaire" stuff like "I'm too old for this poo poo." constantly.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Private Speech posted:

How is that different from short term rentals though? I mean the place I'm currently renting is only for 6 months, and most of my neighbours are roughly the same or very similar. And even disregarding that, well boohoo community spirit. It's all a bunch of bullshit that's limiting the opportunities of people to be more mobile, be it for time off or short-term work or whatever.

Do you feel the same about couch surfing, or long-term "guests"?

Because you chose to rent in a group of short term rentals? Just like hotel guests choose to rent with other similar individuals?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

wateroverfire posted:

It's TBH that AirBNB in fact does not cause much of a problem and people are being oversensitive to things that are actually pretty normal when you're living in a multi-unit building.

If it was normal people would not be complaining.

Reminder: Goons are not the people complaining. If anything, they are the renters.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

wateroverfire posted:

Some people do, sure.

Most people, the vast majority, will go "Oh sorry, man. Didn't realize." and turn their music down. Just treat people like people, seriously.

You've never lived in a college town, have you?

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

You've never lived in a college town, have you?

When I was in college, sure. :v:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

mastershakeman posted:

Because you chose to rent in a group of short term rentals? Just like hotel guests choose to rent with other similar individuals?

I don't though, it's more that it's a young professional/studenty area around here and people move around a lot. Formally it's a normal rental agreement and some people have been here for more than a year, most have not though. And I see it as a good thing, it's nice to meet new people and whatnot else.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Yea, it makes sense to never restrict mobility. Zoning laws should be done away with and if you don't want a factory to move next door to you just move away.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Pochoclo posted:

Can't blame people for their voice but jesus christ that's a whole lot of stupid bullshit she's spouting.
You are running a company that depends in large part on having great tech it doesn't actually have and, even worse, "went live" with it when it wasn't ready. You have to act like it's a big misunderstanding of crazy journalists who you won't let interview you and all you can offer up is potemkin lab demos and banal document dumps at press time to muddy the waters. The only thing on the menu is bullshit.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

Yea, it makes sense to never restrict mobility. Zoning laws should be done away with and if you don't want a factory to move next door to you just move away.

Hmm.

Zoning laws that prohibit dense development in popular metro areas are bad and should be done away with, though, so maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

wateroverfire posted:

Hmm.

Zoning laws that prohibit dense development in popular metro areas are bad and should be done away with, though, so maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle.

and as the good people of West, Texas demonstrated, occasionally the truth has a blast radius visible from near earth orbit.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

wateroverfire posted:

Hmm.

The middle being "Zoning laws are not inherently bad".

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Ze Pollack posted:

and as the good people of West, Texas demonstrated, occasionally the truth has a blast radius visible from near earth orbit.

drat

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I'm sorry but not wanting to deal with humans is not a goon thing, it's a loving american thing. There's a reason most of this country is a suburbian hellscape.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things
I like the idea that there is someone who when choosing between "Not having loud neighbors" and "Having loud neighbors that you occasionally have to alert they are being loud" would choose the latter.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

nachos posted:

I'm sorry but not wanting to deal with humans is not a goon thing, it's a loving american thing. There's a reason most of this country is a suburbian hellscape.

Gonna hazard a guess and say AirBNB has detractors outside of the US.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
If someone is couch surfing then the nominal inhabitant of that unit is still living there, that isn't the same thing as being an absentee lease holder/landlord

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

twodot posted:

I like the idea that there is someone who when choosing between "Not having loud neighbors" and "Having loud neighbors that you occasionally have to alert they are being loud" would choose the latter.

It helps if the latter knocks a few bucks off the monthly rent. Regulations are important, but not everybody wants to spend extra to live in some place that appeals to middle class sensibilities.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Regulations are important, but not everybody wants to spend extra to guarantee their food is free of salmonella.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

computer parts posted:

The middle being "Zoning laws are not inherently bad".

And the correlary: Zoning laws are not inherently good.

twodot posted:

From childhood ----> present I have had neighbors who were occasionally loud and not only did that include a significant number of years where the internet didn't exist, let alone AirBNB, I somehow managed to cope despite that horrible circumstance. :iiam:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Not everyone wants to live in a developing nation where corruption and flouting rules and regulations is endemic

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Noisy neighbors are an annoyance, but they're not a disease.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The thing about AirBnB neighbors is that they don't have to live with the consequences of their behavior. If you're on a longer-term lease, then if you have noisy parties/scream at your spouse/throw the trash into the yard/threaten people who complain/damage common areas, you might lose your lease or at least have everybody in the building hating you. You also, if you get the cops called on you for violence, may get kicked out.

If you're at an AirBnB, what do you care? You'll be gone by the time anybody with actual authority challenges you. Nobody's going to bill you extra for filling the recycling bin with trash bags, or kicking somebody's cat, or screaming at the guy who asks you to tone it down. And, as other people have pointed out, neighbors can't rate AirBnB guests, and absentee landlords of AirBnB apartments probably can't even be contacted.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

If this is a parody, I would watch it. As long as all the "blue-blooded veterans" tell the "enigmatic tech billionaire" stuff like "I'm too old for this poo poo." constantly.

Wait why are the police all members of the aristocracy?

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

rscott posted:

Not everyone wants to live in a developing nation where corruption and flouting rules and regulations is endemic

There's a U.S. joke in there somewhere.

Where have you lived that you've never had a loud neighbor?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

When I have a loud neighbor, I know that if I gently ask them to turn the music down, I can do it again next week and say "I'd hate to bring the landlord into this". As I keep saying, your opportunities to educate a neighbor vanish when the neighbor isn't going to be there next week.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The thing about AirBnB neighbors is that they don't have to live with the consequences of their behavior. If you're on a longer-term lease, then if you have noisy parties/scream at your spouse/throw the trash into the yard/threaten people who complain/damage common areas, you might lose your lease or at least have everybody in the building hating you. You also, if you get the cops called on you for violence, may get kicked out.

If you're at an AirBnB, what do you care? You'll be gone by the time anybody with actual authority challenges you. Nobody's going to bill you extra for filling the recycling bin with trash bags, or kicking somebody's cat, or screaming at the guy who asks you to tone it down. And, as other people have pointed out, neighbors can't rate AirBnB guests, and absentee landlords of AirBnB apartments probably can't even be contacted.

This is getting back to what I was talking about earlier (unseriously) about goons and dealing with people. If someone's being loud you can walk over and ask them to knock it off. You can go to your building's management if people are consistently loud, and they for sure can contact the landlord. The landlord REALLY does not want trouble with his cash cow and has an interest in guests not trashing his place to begin with, so not only are they trying to pre-screen guests - they're going to try and placate neighbors as well. On top of all that, most people are basically decent and not looking to blow the roof off the place on their out of town stay anyway. What kind of degenerates do you think use AirBNB?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
In practice educating a bad neighbor borders on fantasy, but we're pretty far in the weeds re: tech startups anyway.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

When I have a loud neighbor, I know that if I gently ask them to turn the music down, I can do it again next week and say "I'd hate to bring the landlord into this". As I keep saying, your opportunities to educate a neighbor vanish when the neighbor isn't going to be there next week.

If you really feel like you need leverage and people are consistently being really loud in the unit you can always go to the landlord and say "I'd hate to bring the building management into this" or "Hey does the zoning board know you're running a hotel in this building?".

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

pangstrom posted:

In practice educating a bad neighbor borders on fantasy, but we're pretty far in the weeds re: tech startups anyway.

We should get together and launch iComplain, a service that crowdsources your noise complaints so you can outsource your mildly unpleasant social interactions.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

nachos posted:

It isn't "not wanting to deal with humans" as a general thing it's wanting to divide the world into us and them. This is the biggest issue; white people with money want those people to kindly gently caress off and not ruin their neighborhoods. This is why the suburban hellscape is designed the way it is; to keep those people out. They are deliberately made not walkable and suburbanites hate mass transit for the same reason. If you wanted to be able to get anywhere you'd work hard enough to have a car you disgusting filth.

High density housing makes it harder to decide who can and can't live in your neighborhood. Mixed income zoning also lets those people benefit from my tax dollars and also lets them live in decent neighborhoods instead of blasted urban hellscapes. It isn't "let's not want to deal with people" but rather "let's set up a world where we get all the good stuff and can wall it off from everybody else."

It also isn't exclusively American. poo poo happens everywhere. America just invented a unique American way to do it thanks to the culture's raging boner for cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I don't think that this thread is served by this US/international housing policy derail.