Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kells
Mar 19, 2009
My daughter's first word was "more" which suited her personality perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Axiem posted:

What was your child's first word?

Both of ours were "cat", as I recall.

He says "Whats that" and "Hi" and "Thank You" and "Cat" and "Dog" right now, but they're not really word-words so much as situational sounds on par with the "doot doot doot" he does whenever he is walking his dinosaurs around. Is there a point where you know for sure that they've gone from making meaningful sounds to saying actual words, or is it like a gradual transition?

I suppose it's easier to tell for babies that aren't always super vocal.

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.
Our oldest's first word was "mama." Middle kid's was either "ball" or "papa," I don't remember. The youngest is only six months old now so we're waiting to see, but if the outraged squeal she emits whenever I put her down is any indication, she'll skip words and go straight to "how dare you" or maybe "bend to my will, peon."

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
First words were the general mum/dad/dog.
He also used to say 'there it is', as one big word, no pause between the words when he was about 11months.

Where's the boat?
'ThereItIs!'

Can you see [person]?
'ThereItIs!

Though his speech has had a bit of a hiccup, while his vocabulary has increased a huge amount, his pronounciation is really not up to speed.
An audiologist has just diagnosed a middle ear issue with some hearing loss (mild one side, moderate the other) and has prescribed daily use of an otovent device for the next couple of months to help work out his Eustachian tubes.
He'll be retested then and if no real improvement has been made then we are off to an ENT for surgery, most likely grommets.

Has anyone had any experience with this sort of device? Did it help?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Thank god for a Yaris. They're made so they won't start unless you engage the clutch fully.

Reason I'm saying this is I was picking up the kids from daycare and I was strapping Daniel in his seat but David wasn't too interested in staying outside so he went in the front door and crawled over the seats to the drivers seat and turned the key, which I had left in the ignition. So thanks to a clever design we only got the fans and radio turning on instead of a 2½ year old driving a car over his fathers foot, with this brother in the back seat.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
In the last couple weeks my 18 month old learned to say "Mahna mahna" in a little growly deep voice and I do the "doo doo doo doo doo". In the last couple days he switched and can do the doo doo doo's. It amuses me a lot.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

His Divine Shadow posted:

Thank god for a Yaris. They're made so they won't start unless you engage the clutch fully.

Reason I'm saying this is I was picking up the kids from daycare and I was strapping Daniel in his seat but David wasn't too interested in staying outside so he went in the front door and crawled over the seats to the drivers seat and turned the key, which I had left in the ignition. So thanks to a clever design we only got the fans and radio turning on instead of a 2½ year old driving a car over his fathers foot, with this brother in the back seat.

Isn't that how all manual transmission cars work? I've driven a handful and always had to push the clutch all the way in to start them.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Yeah, I have a manual and it won't start unless fully engaged

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Yeah, every manual I've owned is the same way. It was really fun as a teenager messing with my kid sister's 12-year-old friend who insisted she knew how to drive. I told her "OK, get it started and I'll let you drive around the block" and then I laughed my rear end off because she had no idea what the clutch even was.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
My automatic won't start unless the brake is fully depressed. Since my two year old climbs into the front seat a lot and it has a push button start, I'm kind of happy about that now.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
Even if it's turned on, the car is still in park, right? :confused:

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Lumpen posted:

In the last couple weeks my 18 month old learned to say "Mahna mahna" in a little growly deep voice and I do the "doo doo doo doo doo". In the last couple days he switched and can do the doo doo doo's. It amuses me a lot.

Doing good work, passing important lore to the next generation.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

My manual car doesn't have a park gear..

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Lumpen posted:

I'm jealous. I tried to teach my daughter to do the same thing, but she never picked it upm

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

hooah posted:

Isn't that how all manual transmission cars work? I've driven a handful and always had to push the clutch all the way in to start them.

This as a point of discussion between my wife and me. Every manual car I've driven is like that too, clutch all the way in to start. But she swears the cars she drove didn't need to do that. It seems that cars before the 80's/90's didn't use to have that safety feature. She's French too, and apparently the feature took longer to be widespread in Europe.

On a different topic. My wife and I freaked out last night when we couldn't remember what our son's first word was, we're decided it was "mama" of course. But we're not 100% sure, I guess this means we're officially bad parents. Then again, he's also tri-lingual, so the question was compounded by figuring out in which language was his first word.

Actually, I attended a lecture last night by a local researcher regarding bi-lingual babies. The things they showed about what babies can do are amazing. They were, for example, trying to figure out at what age can babies start noticing differences between languages. It seems that they may start picking up differences in-utero; they tested this by having families in which A- only English was spoken, B- English and a second language was spoken (I think it was Filipino) and C- only the second language was spoken. They then have a special pacifier that measures the rate of sucking, put it in the newborn's mouth and measure at what speed the baby sucks; babies that have positive reaction suck faster. Then they would play recordings of English and Filipino and measure how the sucking changed. Babies in group A reacted only to English, group C reacted only to Filipino, and babies in group B reacted to both. Proving that the baby is born being able to recognize the languages they heard in-utero.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Our kid made lots of vague "mama/dada/baba/fafa" noises so we never really could tell what was actual words. The first surely intentional words she said were "thank you." Which she promptly stopped saying after a month but finally picked back up.

Dirty Needles
Jul 3, 2008
Not sure about the rest of the world but in the UK I've never had a manual car that required any other intervention than turning the key to start.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

BonoMan posted:

Our kid made lots of vague "mama/dada/baba/fafa" noises so we never really could tell what was actual words. The first surely intentional words she said were "thank you." Which she promptly stopped saying after a month but finally picked back up.

Yeah, it's not random that "mama" and "papa", or their derivatives, are used for mother and father in many languages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mama_and_papa posted:

In linguistics, mama and papa is the sequences of sounds /ma/, /mama/ and similar ones known to correspond to the word for "mother" and "father" in many languages of the world.

The basic kinship terms mama and papa are said to comprise a special case of false cognates. The cross-linguistic similarities between these terms are thought to result from the nature of language acquisition. These words are the first word-like sounds made by babbling babies (babble words), and parents tend to associate the first sound babies make with themselves and to employ them subsequently as part of their baby-talk lexicon.

Interesting thing. My parents never used "mama" and "papa" in their lexicon when speaking to us, and thus my brothers and I have always called them by their names.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

One of Jasper's first words other than the usual "mama" and "dada" was "dag-duu". It was an attempt to say hector, or dog's name.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Oh, I just remembered, I guess mine can say "no", too. Like when he reaches for something he's not supposed to touch, he'll go "no no no no no" before knocking it off the table/shelf

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

My daughter's first word was "tickle."

Now that she's almost 2, she's talking up a storm. The other day, she ran up and hit me and laughed. I looked at her and sternly said, "That's not funny." Now her favorite thing to do when I'm cracking up is point at me (with a very serious look) and say, "Dat's not punny, mommy!" Which only makes me laugh even more! :3:

amethystbliss fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Nov 24, 2016

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

hooah posted:

There are basically nothing but manual cars here and this one's the only one I've owned that does it.

Avalinka
Nov 4, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

There are basically nothing but manual cars here and this one's the only one I've owned that does it.

Yeah, my car will start regardless. Which is fine if you've left it out of gear, but if it's in gear and you don't push in the clutch when you start it it does a bunny hop forward and stalls.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Ugh. My 2 yr old is suddenly afraid of the sound of yard work equipment and freaks out if she sees a lawnmower. She was fine 2 weeks ago! Luckily, my neighborhood has a lot side side streets to duck down if someone is out in their yard, so walks are still a possibility. The route has just become a bit convoluted.

A least she's gotten over being afraid of shadows (including her own).

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

One of the kids is afraid of the printer here, all I need to do is lift the lid so it makes a little buzzing noise as it starts to move the inkjet cartridges around and he screams like it was a monster trying to eat him. Doesn't help the cat loves to open the lid on the printer, she's fascinated by it.

Kids are weird, I wonder what their reasons are for being afraid of X.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Here's a situation I am mulling over and would appreciate any input on. My son is turning 5, and he's interested in planning/organizing his party. He made a list of people he would like to invite, which includes a bunch of our/his friends, and also about two thirds of the kids in his kindergarten class. My immediate feeling is that you can't give out invitations to half your class; I talked to him about how he might feel if someone invited his friends and not him, but he's pretty unconvinced. The more I think about it the less sure I am where I got this policy - when he's older I am not going to expect him to invite over his whole freshman class, after all. Part of the issue is that we don't have contact information for all the other kids so we can't just handle invitations outside of school.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
First thing I'd do is check the school policy on handing out invitations, and see if there's anyway to get parent contact info from the PTA- some schools (like the one my kids go to) don't allow invites to be handed out in class. Luckily the PTA for my kids school knows about this policy and made a workaround where they keep a semi-public roster of all the kids in a given class and their parents contact info that PTA members can access. It's limited in that they only have the info that parents shared with the PTA but it's something. If your school does something like room parents then that person may have contact info for other folks in the class as well, they usually have a list for email chains for planning class parties.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
My poor little 2 month old munchkin has started teething I think :( He's drat near inconsolable, barely ate yesterday, drooling a bit more than usual. I feel so bad for him because I can't take his pain away. We did get some baby oragel and such but since he's younger, I'm gonna confirm with his doctor first. It's gonna be a rough few months.

Doc says it probably isn't teething but a stomach bug maybe. It still hurts to see him like this. Besides Tylenol, is there anything that helps at home?

Irritated Goat fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 16, 2016

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My wife and I are looking for housing in the San Antonio area. Our daughter is currently 7.5 months old and we'll be wherever we end up for either a year if I don't like my work or a couple of years if I do like it and we decide to move into something more permanent. We're finding a number of townhomes with this weird stained concrete first floor. Should I be paranoid about our kid learning to walk on that in terms of faceplants?

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

hooah posted:

My wife and I are looking for housing in the San Antonio area. Our daughter is currently 7.5 months old and we'll be wherever we end up for either a year if I don't like my work or a couple of years if I do like it and we decide to move into something more permanent. We're finding a number of townhomes with this weird stained concrete first floor. Should I be paranoid about our kid learning to walk on that in terms of faceplants?

You could find the purest best floor to learn to walk on, then faceplant on the sidewalk. She'll be fine.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

VorpalBunny posted:

You could find the purest best floor to learn to walk on, then faceplant on the sidewalk. She'll be fine.

Yeah, I happened to talk to my parents a bit ago and they said the same thing. Being a first-time parent is scarier than I'd imagined!

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I'm kindy room dad and I have everyone's contact information. People have asked me for it and I've given it out. I've also seen people hand out invitations at drop-off/pick-up. I'm not aware of anyone in our K class who has invited everyone in class to their birthday party. Frankly I hated inviting the whole preschool class to birthday parties, and I'm glad that part of my life is finally over.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

hooah posted:

Get a rug.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

What's the best way to share a reading list of kids books with friends that are new parents? Goodreads? Amazon? Ideally I'd like one I can share and it would automatically update as I update it, and possibly split the books by age group.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Marchegiana posted:

First thing I'd do is check the school policy on handing out invitations, and see if there's anyway to get parent contact info from the PTA- some schools (like the one my kids go to) don't allow invites to be handed out in class.
Thanks for this advice, it turns out that the school has an all-or-nothing policy for giving out invitations. So we can distribute them at school if we want to, but only if we are inviting the whole class. Otherwise we would need to give them to specific families during the before/after school period. I'm glad we found that out before we got too far into planning.

photomikey posted:

I'm kindy room dad and I have everyone's contact information. People have asked me for it and I've given it out. I've also seen people hand out invitations at drop-off/pick-up. I'm not aware of anyone in our K class who has invited everyone in class to their birthday party. Frankly I hated inviting the whole preschool class to birthday parties, and I'm glad that part of my life is finally over.
A couple of other parents have done it, which is one of the reasons I feel pressured to - it seems wrong to not reciprocate with people who have invited you (even if we didn't always attend). On the other hand I do not really want an entire kindergarten class in our house/yard, so there's that. We also found out that the school is fine with us sending in some sort of healthy snacks on his birthday, so maybe we'll just do that as the 'inclusive' event and restrict the invite list.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

You guys invited your preschool class to a birthday? We told Sydney we could invite any of her friends she could name, so the party consisted of Grandma, Uncle Tony, and three members of the Paw Patrol.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How can we get our 7-month-old daughter used to sleeping with a window A/C unit cycling on and off periodically?

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

hooah posted:

How can we get our 7-month-old daughter used to sleeping with a window A/C unit cycling on and off periodically?

Are the noise changes waking her up? We had good enough results drowning some noise sources by putting a speaker playing white noise. Maybe it could mask the on/off noise changes too.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
She doesn't always wake up (although we haven't needed it much in the last week or so), but she definitely stirs, which is a problem since she's, unfortunately, still bed-sharing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

hooah posted:

She doesn't always wake up (although we haven't needed it much in the last week or so), but she definitely stirs, which is a problem since she's, unfortunately, still bed-sharing.

Just keep with it, she'll get used to it and sleep more soundly in general as she gets older