Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I'm rewatching and the torches are just giant oil bowls and you can see the oil splashing and spreading everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Since Dany sent that one Dosh Khaleen back and asked for her trust, I wonder if she talked up Danny's plan to have the rest of them support her after she burned the tent down.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm rewatching and the torches are just giant oil bowls and you can see the oil splashing and spreading everywhere.

So just one giant fire hazard.

StopHangingDjs
Jan 9, 2013
Are we supposed to be rooting for Dany to bring a huge army of raping, slaving, barbarians to civilization? Cause that seems like a bad time for a lot of the people Danny's trying to help

Max
Nov 30, 2002

StopHangingDjs posted:

Are we supposed to be rooting for Dany to bring a huge army of raping, slaving, barbarians to civilization? Cause that seems like a bad time for a lot of the people Danny's trying to help

I mean, you use the tools you have.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

StopHangingDjs posted:

No, you see, Dany will just outlaw all that poo poo and because she is a godlike figure at this point, people will just follow those rules to the letter, their traditions and cultures be hosed.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

But at this rate, Ive come to accept and expect that Dany's arc works that way. Her real magical power is not about being fireproof or controlling dragons, is about bending the reality around her in her favor. Any setback will always almost instantly be turned over with little effort and she then comes out 100x stronger than she was before.

This is accurate, but you forgot the part where she always has to make a self-congratulatory speech too. That's why I think it'd be most interesting if she became a bad guy, because somebody with special powers and a massive ego who is worshiped as a god could very easily become a total monster. She's also even more ambitious than Stannis, which is something he was vilified for by the show writers. The show tries to obfuscate it a bit with her "break the wheel" speech, but ever since Viserys died she has wanted the throne for herself for no real reason beyond the fact that she's a Targaryen and wants to prove she's not the scared, submissive girl she once was. It's understandable to want self-esteem, but it has come at a great cost, including the destruction of the Lhazareen in book/season 1.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Max posted:

Since Dany sent that one Dosh Khaleen back and asked for her trust, I wonder if she talked up Danny's plan to have the rest of them support her after she burned the tent down.

So just one giant fire hazard.

And the hut was mostly made of grass and wood, so it was definitely not up to code.

Beeez posted:

This is accurate, but you forgot the part where she always has to make a self-congratulatory speech too. That's why I think it'd be most interesting if she became a bad guy, because somebody with special powers and a massive ego who is worshiped as a god could very easily become a total monster. She's also even more ambitious than Stannis, which is something he was vilified for by the show writers. The show tries to obfuscate it a bit with her "break the wheel" speech, but ever since Viserys died she has wanted the throne for herself for no real reason beyond the fact that she's a Targaryen and wants to prove she's not the scared, submissive girl she once was. It's understandable to want self-esteem, but it has come at a great cost, including the destruction of the Lhazareen in book/season 1.

There is no way the black eyed fire god is the good guy in the end. Dany isn't the hero.

StopHangingDjs
Jan 9, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

There is no way the black eyed fire god is the good guy in the end. Dany isn't the hero.

I dunno man. The show always seems to be pretty in love with Dany, giving her all these boons and telling us how great and badass she is. She also gets all these speeches about breaking the wheel and how she does it for the children. I'm not seeing how they're trying to push her as a villain in any way. She'll ride in, burn Kings Landing to the ground and everyone will fall to their knees crying tears of joy

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

StopHangingDjs posted:

Yeah I have to wonder if Drogo would approve what Dany is doing.

But I don't know if she even really would care at this point. She didn't learn a thing after Mereen except that things get better if they're on fire.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Roman Reigns posted:

Yeah I have to wonder if Drogo would approve what Dany is doing.

But I don't know if she even really would care at this point. She didn't learn a thing after Mereen except that things get better if they're on fire.

In all fairness, things would be much better if Meereen were on fire.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I dunno, Dany has a long history of knowing that negotiations get her no where in life, mostly because people just see a woman and write her off immediately. She's been successful when she plays off of that prejudice and then strikes right when they least expect it. It ties in thematically with what Tyrion was talking about with the Masters suffering from too much self-assuredness. He knows that's something that can be exploited, just as Dany knew the Khals would never view her as a threat and wouldn't be on their guard when she was in the room.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

StopHangingDjs posted:

I dunno man. The show always seems to be pretty in love with Dany, giving her all these boons and telling us how great and badass she is. She also gets all these speeches about breaking the wheel and how she does it for the children. I'm not seeing how they're trying to push her as a villain in any way. She'll ride in, burn Kings Landing to the ground and everyone will fall to their knees crying tears of joy

Then the white walkers come, and they surround her with an army of the dead. The Night's King approaches her and she makes a grandiose speech about what terrible king he is and how great she is at the other hand. And then Drogon comes flying just in time and eats him. White walkers and zombies all bow to her.

Daenerys Stormborn, the Unburt, Queen of the Seven Kingdoms, Mother of Dragons, Khaleesi of Dothraki, Breaker of Chains and Night's Queen

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
HAHAHAHAHA the leaks are all true. Holy loving poo poo.

MysteryGuest
Mar 7, 2006

lezard_valeth posted:

Dunno then. Guess Gurm didn't think on the explanation as to why they were there and what they planned to do for any other scenario other than "For Ned to confront them and hear her sister's death wish".

Maybe they could have taken Lyana's baby and sail to Dorne and rally the Dornish? Maybe they planned to sent Lyanna on a ship and stay behind to buy time while she escaped with her baby? We know very little of Arthur Dayne and the other Kingsguard own motivation and thoughts on the whole matter other than what we get from third parties and they all say that they were honorable warriors, but that could be them just being respectful to the death.

It's not as though the Targ alliance expected to lose. Rheagar stuck Lyanna in the Tower of Joy to hide her, and had his three best Kingsguard stay with with Lyanna and the child he thought was Azor Ahai. It wasn't common knowledge that she was there. Then Rhaegar was killed on the Trident, then Pycelle got Aerys to let the Lannisters into Kingslanding and the Targaryens there were killed. At some point, Ned found out where Lyanna was. Lyanna is giving birth, so it does seem that they couldn't move her. But I don't get why there is confusion as to why they are there in the first place. The plan was to have them wait there in case anyone found out while Rhaegar was dealing with Robert, and till the siege of Kingslanding was lifted. A series of military failures ruined the plan, and got them found out. I wonder if the people at the Tower of Joy even knew about the defeats until all of a sudden Ned Stark shows up and they are like well, I guess we're screwed.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

1) Rickon dies at the beginning of Bastardbowl. Specifically, Ramsay releases him and allows him to run towards Jon across the battlefield. As Rickon runs, Ramsay terrorises him by shooting arrows at him. Just as Rickon reaches Jon, Ramsay aims at him for real and shoots him, leading to Rickon dying in Jon's arms.

2) There is no Cleganebowl, but the Mountain does get to murder the "Shame" Septa.

3) RAMSAY DOESN'T DIE! Instead, Jon imprisons him after winning the battle.

4) Tommen dies by jumping out of a window.

5) The Children of the Forest created the White Walkers to "protect something". Bran sees the White Walkers in a vision, where his presence is sensed by the Night's King. In real life, he and his companions are then found and attacked by the White Walkers, and the Three Eyed Raven is killed.

From the guy who spoiled last ep

Max
Nov 30, 2002

this_is_hard posted:

5) The Children of the Forest created the White Walkers to "protect something". Bran sees the White Walkers in a vision, where his presence is sensed by the Night's King. In real life, he and his companions are then found and attacked by the White Walkers, and the Three Eyed Raven is killed.

This part does look like it's going to happen, based off of the trailers from last night.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

also :lol: the next Tower of Joy scene STILL doesn't officially confirm R+L=J.

quote:

He has another vision about ToJ, we see a baby, Lyanna whispers something to Ned, and we cut to Jon.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

this_is_hard posted:

1) Rickon dies at the beginning of Bastardbowl. Specifically, Ramsay releases him and allows him to run towards Jon across the battlefield. As Rickon runs, Ramsay terrorises him by shooting arrows at him. Just as Rickon reaches Jon, Ramsay aims at him for real and shoots him, leading to Rickon dying in Jon's arms.

2) There is no Cleganebowl, but the Mountain does get to murder the "Shame" Septa.

From the guy who spoiled last ep

The guy who spoiled the last ep got most of the details wrong though?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Kawabata posted:

this thread should have been in the hut with all the khals

It is known.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

24-7 Urkel Cosplay posted:

He got a couple of small details wrong but hit most of it. Dunno. Maybe he was making things up based on previews. Maybe they do the translation on an early cut. Maybe the showrunners are busier giving false information to their translators rather than making better scripts.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
They pulled a tirion and now know who the leaker is by which set of false details came out :tinfoil:

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

crazy cloud posted:

They pulled a tirion and now know who the leaker is by which set of false details came out :tinfoil:

This seems plausible. The leaked details are accurate only in which characters are in what scene, but nearly everything else is wrong, plus the leak included scenes that didn't happen and didn't include scenes that actually did.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

this_is_hard posted:

I can live with all the spoiled stuff except for THIS. I don't even dislike Ramsay that much, but you can't put off a notorious villain's death until the next goddamn season where everything has been set up for the protagonists (especially the loving Starks) to succeed for the current season. It's denying the audience a long time coming cathartic release, especially after the limp dick way they killed off Roose.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

FogHelmut posted:

He got a couple of small details wrong but hit most of it. Dunno. Maybe he was making things up based on previews. Maybe they do the translation on an early cut. Maybe the showrunners are busier giving false information to their translators rather than making better scripts.

The things he got right were the things you could conclude from the preview+books while the things he got wrong/didn't mention where all the things that would actually be genuine new information. Based on this I call BS on his season spoilers. Especially the Jon/Rickon spoiler makes no sense, because it would mean that Jon is bow range of Ramsay and his 20 good men the whole time, but that could just be show logic I guess.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
If you think this has a happy ending etc etc it's a hj joke

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

GaussianCopula posted:

The things he got right were the things you could conclude from the preview+books while the things he got wrong/didn't mention where all the things that would actually be genuine new information.

Didn't he get the actual structure of the episode correct though? And the thinks that were wrong were like very minor dialog pieces and actions? I didn't really read the full leak so genuinely asking.

Also if that white walker spoiler is true, this is now LOST.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
That hut scene was the dumbest poo poo I've ever seen on TV. The cherry on top was them not burning her hair off this time she became the white savior of brown people by burning herself to scare them.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

The Dave posted:

Well, they are called the Others.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

GaussianCopula posted:

Especially the Jon/Rickon spoiler makes no sense, because it would mean that Jon is bow range of Ramsay and his 20 good men the whole time, but that could just be show logic I guess.

Wanst this mentioned in 2 leaks already? Im inclined to believe it.

Also, this episode confirmed that LF is indeed taking the knights of the Vale against Ramsay, as both in leaks too. I guess that could have been predicted based on last season, but still, everything that happened so far seems to confirm what both leaks said about the battle (Sna with Jon, Rickon with Ramsay, LF)

Max
Nov 30, 2002

24-7 Urkel Cosplay posted:

There were two different spoilers. Someone posted spoilers for the whole season, which looks kinda believable and can all still happen. The one specifically about the episode last night is now obviously fake.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Who will literally backstab someone on next week's episode? That's what I really want to know.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

The Dave posted:

Didn't he get the actual structure of the episode correct though? And the thinks that were wrong were like very minor dialog pieces and actions? I didn't really read the full leak so genuinely asking.

The structure is the only part that was right, and only sorta. The leak included things like "Edd tells Sansa that Jon died, so Sansa starts crying.", "Davos throws a chair", "Jon demands revenge on Boltons", the Kingsmoot, "LF convinces Royce to attack Ramsay", Mereen is under siege by Volantis, Drogon shows up.

Things it did not include : The Pink letter.

So it got broad(ish) strokes right but tons more wrong. Really all they got was who was in what scene.

Max posted:

There were two different spoilers. Someone posted spoilers for the whole season, which looks kinda believable and can all still happen. The one specifically about the episode last night is now obviously fake.

Oh yeah, the full season spoilers might still happen but this past episode didn't do much to confirm either way.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's a good thing they changed Asha's name to Yara what with all the confusion that could have come from Osha and her integral parts of the story she had played over the years. Dodged a bullet with that one.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

this_is_hard posted:

I want Jon to say "Fetch me a block." like in the GoT CK2 mod.

quote:

This seems like a dumb way to kill Cersei's last surviving child when I would prefer Dany does it as a parallel to the books.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Rhaegar leaving his top Kingsguard to protect Lyanna seems a bit silly in retrospect given he got curb stomped by Robert. Maybe if he'd had his Kingsguard with him Robert would have lost. Although maybe not since Rhaegar did still have Barristan with him who is a total badass and he still got handily defeated.

Makes total sense though in that Rhaegar's obsession with prophecy probably had him convinced that he'd win no matter what.

Not sure why Mel suddenly believes Jon is Azhor Ahai in the show. What evidence does she have for that beyond him coming back to life? Why should she think some random Night's Watch bastard is the one? In the books I can see her finally putting two and two together because every time she looks in the flames and asks to see the prince that was promised she sees Jon instead of Stannis but she's too dumb to realize why that is but obviously if Stannis dies and she rezzes Jon she might finally get the picture. But iirc in the show she doesn't have any indications Jon is the one to follow apart from him coming back but she's seen that Thoros is capable of rezzing guys so it's not like she should consider her revival of Jon as something particularly special.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Some writer must have read Revelations before rewriting the Pink Letter in last night's episode.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

This seems like a dumb way to kill Cersei's last surviving child when I would prefer Dany does it as a parallel to the books.

I think if anyone directly kills Tommen in the books it will be Aegon

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Unzip and Attack posted:

That hut scene was the dumbest poo poo I've ever seen on TV. The cherry on top was them not burning her hair off this time she became the white savior of brown people by burning herself to scare them.

This time?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

Wanst this mentioned in 2 leaks already? Im inclined to believe it.

Also, this episode confirmed that LF is indeed taking the knights of the Vale against Ramsay, as both in leaks too. I guess that could have been predicted based on last season, but still, everything that happened so far seems to confirm what both leaks said about the battle (Sna with Jon, Rickon with Ramsay, LF)

If both spoilers were independent from each other sure, but they were not so one could very easily be the source for the other. As for the basic structure of the battle, Sansa/Jon on the one side was a given at the end of last season and we saw the Umber banners, who we knew had Rickon, next to the Bolton banners in the preview and there were production leaks that informed us that Rickon would be back this season in addition to Ramsay needing some hostage to replace Mance and motivate Jon to fight him. That LF would swoop in with the Knights of the Vale was common knowledge after he had his talk with Cersei last season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Anyone have a transcript of the show letter? The book letter is easy enough to find.

• Locked thread