Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!
I personally love the cover letter in the OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Initio posted:

I personally love the cover letter in the OP

Whoops completely missed that section

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Hi thread.

Maybe a dumb question, but if I know the name of the person that will probably be conducting the interview (the coordinator of the lab I would be working in) since it was in the job posting, but the posting asks me to send my application to a named HR administrator, to whom should I address the cover letter to? The HR person or the lab coordinator? Is it acceptable to address both?

Thanks

TwoSheds
Sep 12, 2007

Bringer of sugary treats!

Subyng posted:

Hi thread.

Maybe a dumb question, but if I know the name of the person that will probably be conducting the interview (the coordinator of the lab I would be working in) since it was in the job posting, but the posting asks me to send my application to a named HR administrator, to whom should I address the cover letter to? The HR person or the lab coordinator? Is it acceptable to address both?

Thanks

I would say the HR administrator, since they'll be the ones to receive your application and make an initial judgment. If you get the go-ahead from the HR administrator to move into the interview phase, he/she will pass along the cover letter to the lab coordinator, who, if they have half a brain, should not be bothered by the fact that the cover letter was addressed to the person who forwarded it to them.

If you're still in doubt, just write "Dear Hiring Manager," but I wouldn't stress about it too much.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I'm pretty sure every cover letter I've ever written is "To whom it may concern," and I've even cut that line out a few times to fit everything on a single page.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Subyng posted:

Hi thread.

Thanks
Don't overthink it. I'd go with:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Is there a way to say you skipped a grade-level at your current company on your resume? I might be taking a job that is two levels above where I am now, which I guess is a fairly rare occurance that I want to put on my resume, but I don't know if anyone outside of my current company would care.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

Deadite posted:

Is there a way to say you skipped a grade-level at your current company on your resume? I might be taking a job that is two levels above where I am now, which I guess is a fairly rare occurance that I want to put on my resume, but I don't know if anyone outside of my current company would care.

Is it reflected in the title, something like "Sysadmin I" vs "Sysadmin III"? If not, you could put it in the description of the position, something like "Promoted from L1 support to L3 support in May 2016". It could also just be something you talk about in interviews instead of listing on the resume, if it feels too out-of-place in text.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Yeah I guess there is a number after my new title, and it even jumps from my current 2 to a 5, even though HR only considers it a 2 pay-level band increase

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I think Obsidian is right, it is something to talk about in the interview. Hopefully some people also notice the number jump while they look at your resume.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

You could probably mention it in your cover letter when you're describing your experience. "I have ten years of experience as a system administrator, including five years at Something Awful LLC, where I was promoted from System Administrator II to System Administrator V."

Put the number jump in your resume (or list them as separate positions if the work duties are sufficiently different), bring it up in your cover letter, and mention it in the interview when you're talking about a time when you took on additional responsibilities at a job or whatever.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

A quick question . . . How long do you have before you can't really use experience from school anymore? I've been looking at some positions that fit some jobs and internships I had during school, but I graduated over 5 years ago. If I can include those things, can I include them with my regular job experience in the "Work Experience" section or should I separate it somehow?

asur
Dec 28, 2012

HondaCivet posted:

A quick question . . . How long do you have before you can't really use experience from school anymore? I've been looking at some positions that fit some jobs and internships I had during school, but I graduated over 5 years ago. If I can include those things, can I include them with my regular job experience in the "Work Experience" section or should I separate it somehow?

If, like you said, they were jobs or internships then they belong in the work experience section. The dates you put down will make it clear to anyone looking that you held them while in school. You don't mention it, but if instead it's work from a class I would put it in a different section.

ToeShoes
Sep 8, 2011

"Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"
It's been a really long time since I've done an interview, so I might be overthinking this. I have an interview for a full time 6 month contract that would start ASAP if I get the job. I have my first interview with this company in 2 days. I'm also planning on going to university in September, but I probably won't hear anything about an acceptance until later this summer. Is it a waste of time to do the interview? Should I mention that I might be going to school about halfway through the contract? I'm glad to hear any sort of advice on this.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
Why would you jeopardize your candidacy on an "I might end up going to school"? It's a contract. Give them two weeks' notice. I say this as someone who interviews and hires contractors. Such is life and it goes both ways...

ToeShoes
Sep 8, 2011

"Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

Dark Helmut posted:

Why would you jeopardize your candidacy on an "I might end up going to school"? It's a contract. Give them two weeks' notice. I say this as someone who interviews and hires contractors. Such is life and it goes both ways...

Thanks, I guess I should just focus on getting the job instead of thinking too far ahead.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

asur posted:

If, like you said, they were jobs or internships then they belong in the work experience section. The dates you put down will make it clear to anyone looking that you held them while in school. You don't mention it, but if instead it's work from a class I would put it in a different section.

Thanks! Yeah it was a job not a class.

OK, I have the same question but for a degree-area-related honor society I was inducted into when I was in school. After school I took a string of jobs not really related to my major but I'm trying to get back into something more related to my degree, that's why I was considering including it. Would it be a good idea or lame?

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Is there any way to get a job in a new city without physically moving there? Or just have friends to use their address/crash on their couch in a pinch?

Or is it just hard to move around in Canada?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Jyrraeth posted:

Is there any way to get a job in a new city without physically moving there? Or just have friends to use their address/crash on their couch in a pinch?

Or is it just hard to move around in Canada?
Entry level, no. I wouldn't consider it unethical to list your friend's address on a resume as long as they'd actually put you up while you find a place to live in #newcity .

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
Very basic questions, but: I'm graduating and starting a professional job search soon. I've never owned a suit. I hear having a well-fitting one is important and I generally have difficulty finding good fits (5'5" but not thin enough for youth sizes). How many suits should I have? Is made-to-measure normal/reasonable or is it better to go off the rack and have it tailored?

TwoSheds
Sep 12, 2007

Bringer of sugary treats!

Saeku posted:

Very basic questions, but: I'm graduating and starting a professional job search soon. I've never owned a suit. I hear having a well-fitting one is important and I generally have difficulty finding good fits (5'5" but not thin enough for youth sizes). How many suits should I have? Is made-to-measure normal/reasonable or is it better to go off the rack and have it tailored?

I would say it depends on what profession you're going into. If it's a public-facing role at a huge firm, or you're a lawyer or something, then you probably need at least three good suits to rotate through. If you're in a more casual field like IT, then you're probably ok with just one for interviews and special occasions.

I've personally never ordered a made-to-measure suit, but I would imagine it's crazy expensive. Just buy something that fits you pretty well and pay a good tailor to do the rest.

absolem
May 21, 2014

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 [is] immoral
insofar as it is coercive towards someone, yes

I am retarded and compassion is overrated.

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
Suitsupply carries size 32, which may fit you (I'm a formerly 5'7" size 34). Going MTM wouldn't necessarily be outlandishly expensive compared to suitsupply. We also have a suit thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3522719&pagenumber=139&perpage=40

absolem fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 18, 2016

absolem
May 21, 2014

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 [is] immoral
insofar as it is coercive towards someone, yes

I am retarded and compassion is overrated.

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
Quote is not edit

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

TwoSheds posted:

\
I've personally never ordered a made-to-measure suit, but I would imagine it's crazy expensive. Just buy something that fits you pretty well and pay a good tailor to do the rest.

I got a very nice MTM suit about 5 years ago for $400. It's not as expensive as you'd think.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five
Is there anyone else who's applying to positions in disparate fields? I'm still trying to mentally compartmentalize the whole, "These are my career ambitions: :words:," thing between two largely unrelated areas without turning into a disingenuous rear end.

Background: I finished a PhD in August with a weird niche, and I have two promising leads in hugely different positions. One's a pure science R&D position that is highly related to my graduate research and would be with a large government contractor. The other would be a data science role in a small private company developing R code (which I did extensively in grad school) for financial modeling (something I have 0 experience with, but the recruiter doesn't think that's an issue).The former would be my preference if I were offered both, but the latter sounds like a role where I could be really happy and most of what I've been applying to for the past few months has been data science/analysis focused.

If anyone has tips on compartmentalizing career goals for unrelated areas, I'd appreciate hearing them.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

poeticoddity posted:

Is there anyone else who's applying to positions in disparate fields? I'm still trying to mentally compartmentalize the whole, "These are my career ambitions: :words:," thing between two largely unrelated areas without turning into a disingenuous rear end.

Background: I finished a PhD in August with a weird niche, and I have two promising leads in hugely different positions. One's a pure science R&D position that is highly related to my graduate research and would be with a large government contractor. The other would be a data science role in a small private company developing R code (which I did extensively in grad school) for financial modeling (something I have 0 experience with, but the recruiter doesn't think that's an issue).The former would be my preference if I were offered both, but the latter sounds like a role where I could be really happy and most of what I've been applying to for the past few months has been data science/analysis focused.

If anyone has tips on compartmentalizing career goals for unrelated areas, I'd appreciate hearing them.
I honestly don't understand what you mean by compartmentalizing here. You don't win sales by serving everyone the exact same pitch. Your goal as a candidate is to tell your prospective employer what you think they want to hear. Neither of them has to know what you told the other one.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
TWO RESUMES AT THE SAME TIME, MAN.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

poeticoddity posted:

If you're good at writing R code for financial modeling, you'll make a ton of money. Probably more so than as a pure science R&D PhD Scientist. Speaking as someone who hires PhD Chemists/ChemEs, I'd view someone who went into finance for years and then wanted to get back into science as a positive and not a negative. An intuitive and comprehensive knowledge of statistics is much more rare than strong technical skills and much more valuable. I can teach technical skills.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Vulture Culture posted:

I honestly don't understand what you mean by compartmentalizing here. You don't win sales by serving everyone the exact same pitch. Your goal as a candidate is to tell your prospective employer what you think they want to hear. Neither of them has to know what you told the other one.

Compartmentalizing may be an inappropriate term. I've got different pitches for largely unrelated positions. The issue is that I could see myself enjoying either and being well suited to both (and I know what my preference between the two is), but it feels weird giving two hugely different answers to "why are you interested in this position" and "what are your career goals". Neither of them are lies, but it somehow feels disingenuous or insincere, and I was wondering if anyone else had experienced anything similar.

Dark Helmut posted:

TWO RESUMES AT THE SAME TIME, MAN.

I've got a 1 page resume as a prospective data scientist/analyst and a 3 page CV as a prospective researcher. Either way, I hope I never end up with an office-space level of disinterest with a career.

Dik Hz posted:

If you're good at writing R code for financial modeling, you'll make a ton of money. Probably more so than as a pure science R&D PhD Scientist. Speaking as someone who hires PhD Chemists/ChemEs, I'd view someone who went into finance for years and then wanted to get back into science as a positive and not a negative. An intuitive and comprehensive knowledge of statistics is much more rare than strong technical skills and much more valuable. I can teach technical skills.

I don't have financial modeling experience (though the recruiter I spoke with today seemed to think that wasn't going to be a problem, and apparently knows the CEO of this company quite well) but I've got R down and have a long track record with it. Unlike with chemistry, I'd have a hard time getting back into research if I went with the data route. It's a small field both of the demand and supply side. I found an unusual niche developing research instruments for laboratory and clinical use, so some more time doing pure science would have a decent chance of leading to some sort of IP that would exceed the pay gap you mentioned.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Dik Hz posted:

Entry level, no. I wouldn't consider it unethical to list your friend's address on a resume as long as they'd actually put you up while you find a place to live in #newcity .

Thanks, its really hard to find a straight answer to these sort of things. Either way I do have friends who'd do that for me, so I feel a bit better about this adventure.

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

He was a veray parfit gentil knight.
If you're not asking for interview travel and relocation costs and their start date is compatible with your move, I think it's ethically fine. You can list a local address to avoid someone throwing out your resume prematurely, especially if it's an address you'll be crashing at anyway.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
It's TYOOL 2016 and no one uses snail mail anyway. Just put "City, ST 99999" and your contact info. Once you get to the interview then you can explain your situation. In general, the lower level a position is, the harder it is to obtain remotely.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Dark Helmut posted:

It's TYOOL 2016 and no one uses snail mail anyway. Just put "City, ST 99999" and your contact info. Once you get to the interview then you can explain your situation. In general, the lower level a position is, the harder it is to obtain remotely.
Excepting the positions that are so low-level the people doing the work remotely are in Bangalore or Chennai.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

poeticoddity posted:

I don't have financial modeling experience (though the recruiter I spoke with today seemed to think that wasn't going to be a problem, and apparently knows the CEO of this company quite well) but I've got R down and have a long track record with it. Unlike with chemistry, I'd have a hard time getting back into research if I went with the data route. It's a small field both of the demand and supply side. I found an unusual niche developing research instruments for laboratory and clinical use, so some more time doing pure science would have a decent chance of leading to some sort of IP that would exceed the pay gap you mentioned.
You sign away all rights to IP when you take a science job these days unless you're working for yourself.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Dik Hz posted:

You sign away all rights to IP when you take a science job these days unless you're working for yourself.
Sadly, this seems to be true for a growing number of non-scientific knowledge work jobs as well, nowadays. If this is important to you, be prepared to blue-pencil every contract you get and see what happens.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
E:Nothing to see here.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I just got some feedback from a job I applied for; the HR manager said I lacked 'influencing' ability compared to other candidates. Can anyone shed some light on what that might mean and how I could go about improving it?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
What kind of job and what interview processes?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

First thing that comes to mind (coming from a CS background) is that another candidate has some ability to shape public opinion -- a big star on HN or stack overflow, or has a famous blog or youtube channel or something like that. But that's just a stab in the dark without knowing more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

What kind of job and what interview processes?

It was an agribusiness graduate program at a bank, I got to the assessment center stage, which involved a group task and presentation. I'm guessing it has something to do with communication skills but I'm not 100% sure.