Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

TetsuoTW posted:

I like that the problem is apparently a question of the circumstances of the case and whether they warrant a death sentence and not whether death should even be a sentence.

I might not agree that it should, but I can accept the idea that if there's any case it could be applied in, it might be this one. But even then I can't see how you would set up the law to institutionalize "well this time we really really know he's guilty" and keep it abuse-proof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Please stop quoting Pandemonium. I put him on ignore for a reason.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

please let me show you screenshots of all The Ladies swooning over me

Chantilly Say posted:

The next time I'm back home and somebody cuts me off in traffic? poo poo, they'd better get ready to meet my friend Mr. Smith & Wesson. Get bent!

I know you're trying to be all cute and funny but gently caress off with your comparing stabbing and killing people to cutting people off in traffic. It makes you look dumb as gently caress.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Moon slayer is an idiot who thought he was hot poo poo copy editing at a newspaper in Taiwan until they unceremoniously fired his rear end for no reason. Please quote this someone!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Would you say that he can get bent?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Ignore list is some weakass poo poo especially when Panda's opinions and the controversy they cause are pretty much the lifeblood of this thread.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
^ agreed

Pandemonium posted:

Moon slayer is an idiot who thought he was hot poo poo copy editing at a newspaper in Taiwan until they unceremoniously fired his rear end for no reason. Please quote this someone!

I'll quote this because you asked nicely. also because despite his being fired, you think you're hot poo poo for making ESL worksheets, and you are in denial about being in the ESL community for the entirety of your time in Taiwan

Pandemonium posted:

PS please stop applying your home country's standards to Taiwan. This isn't Canada, USA, England, or wherever you are from. It's super demeaning and racist for you to insist on your "correct" ideas over and against Taiwanese ideas. It's their country, after all, you cultural/ideological imperialist pigs.

this is utterly hilarious coming from you

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Chantilly Say posted:

I might not agree that it should, but I can accept the idea that if there's any case it could be applied in, it might be this one. But even then I can't see how you would set up the law to institutionalize "well this time we really really know he's guilty" and keep it abuse-proof.

There's something cool in the USA: "beyond a reasonable doubt". I think we should go by that, more or less. When the perpetrator is caught with the murder weapon, CCTV, and witnesses, I'd say that fits the criteria anyone would draw up regarding the former cool thing. It's specious to suggest that such a crime is at all comparable to a case where a guy gets put on death row based on flimsy evidence and single eyewitness a la making a murderer.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Pandemonium posted:

There's something cool in the USA: "beyond a reasonable doubt". I think we should go by that, more or less. When the perpetrator is caught with the murder weapon, CCTV, and witnesses, I'd say that fits the criteria anyone would draw up regarding the former cool thing. It's specious to suggest that such a crime is at all comparable to a case where a guy gets put on death row based on flimsy evidence and single eyewitness a la making a murderer.

You realize that that's the standard for guilt or innocence and by that standard every single person ever convicted of murder is eligible for death? Like never mind the people who were later exonerated by whatever evidence, they'd all just be dead. All because you piss your panties about "muh tax dollars" going to feed and shelter a murderer? It's especially rich because even MORE of your tax dollars would go toward killing one.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

this is a stickup posted:

^ agreed

I'll quote this because you asked nicely. also because despite his being fired, you think you're hot poo poo for making ESL worksheets, and you are in denial about being in the ESL community for the entirety of your time in Taiwan

It's cute you still try to peddle this ESL worksheet poo poo when I work with national and international publishers. Whatever works for you and makes you feel better, I guess...

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Pandemonium posted:

It's cute you still try to peddle this ESL worksheet poo poo when I work with national and international publishers. Whatever works for you and makes you feel better, I guess...

For gently caress's sake shut the gently caress up you self-aggrandizing poo poo.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Spanish Matlock posted:

You realize that that's the standard for guilt or innocence and by that standard every single person ever convicted of murder is eligible for death? Like never mind the people who were later exonerated by whatever evidence, they'd all just be dead. All because you piss your panties about "muh tax dollars" going to feed and shelter a murderer? It's especially rich because even MORE of your tax dollars would go toward killing one.

I'd say it's the standard for "guilty" or "not guilty" (not innocent) in jury-based trials. Those are the sticky situations I am referring to. Thanks for trying.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Spanish Matlock posted:

For gently caress's sake shut the gently caress up you self-aggrandizing poo poo.

This is a good post! My feeling is it was you who bought my avatar. I'll have to thank Lowtax for you!

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Pandemonium posted:

This is a good post! My feeling is it was you who bought my avatar. I'll have to thank Lowtax for you!

That doesn't even make any sense.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

TetsuoTW posted:

I like that the problem is apparently a question of the circumstances of the case and whether they warrant a death sentence and not whether death should even be a sentence.

This.

The right to life is "universal", and those rights which are deemed universal are sacrosanct and not subject to national or cultural exceptions.

I believe the UDHR is the most widely adopted 'treaty' with the singular exception of the Vienna treaty.

Pandemonium, this dudes death is openly being discussed as being used to short term bolster the image of a decrepit charlatan of a politician.

Justice was clearly short-circuited and surely as a clearly DSM-V spectrum inflicted type that must grate.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Pandemonium posted:

I'd say it's the standard for "guilty" or "not guilty" (not innocent) in jury-based trials. Those are the sticky situations I am referring to. Thanks for trying.

Taiwan doesn't have jury based trial you worksheet warrior retard.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Of course his lawyers should have been allowed to appeal the verdict and he shouldn't have been gatted so quickly. But I'm not losing any sleep over the fact that he was executed ahead of schedule. Again, I prefer a grey approach rather than the black-and-white one so many of you seem to espouse. There is a huuuuuuge difference between this particular criminal and people who are accused of crimes on the basis of a certain amount of evidence after the fact. This dude's hand was caught in the murder cookie jar, and I think that matters just as much as precious appeals to due process. Due process should have been met, but in this case, oh well.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
My point is, where do you draw that line? How do you write that law that can judge flimsiness? If you're going to say "there's a difference between this one case where someone was convicted of murder and this other case where someone was convicted of murder"--well sure, there is, but that difference needs to be written into the law. How do you write the law so that it executes one of them and not the other? It's not as easy or simple as saying "well that's a different case and it's dumb to compare them."

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

url posted:

Taiwan doesn't have jury based trial you worksheet warrior retard.

I'm clearly working off a US-based justice system in that example. Sorry, bro, I don't know the ins and outs of Taiwan's other than they still shoot people and have no qualms executing open-and-shut case criminals--something I have no problem with.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlGuZKcctXM

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Pandemonium posted:

Of course his lawyers should have been allowed to appeal the verdict and he shouldn't have been gatted so quickly. But I'm not losing any sleep over the fact that he was executed ahead of schedule. Again, I prefer a grey approach rather than the black-and-white one so many of you seem to espouse. There is a huuuuuuge difference between this particular criminal and people who are accused of crimes on the basis of a certain amount of evidence after the fact. This dude's hand was caught in the murder cookie jar, and I think that matters just as much as precious appeals to due process. Due process should have been met, but in this case, oh well.

"I'm in the grey here"

-A literal barbarian.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Chantilly Say posted:

My point is, where do you draw that line? How do you write that law that can judge flimsiness? If you're going to say "there's a difference between this one case where someone was convicted of murder and this other case where someone was convicted of murder"--well sure, there is, but that difference needs to be written into the law. How do you write the law so that it executes one of them and not the other? It's not as easy or simple as saying "well that's a different case and it's dumb to compare them."

If you are caught at the scene of the crime with the murder weapon and victim DNA on you with CCTV and witnesses corroborating each other I'd say that goes down as an open-and-shut take him out back and put him down case. One of the few--if not the only--case that I think would fall into this category. I watched "Making a Murderer" like everyone else. I know how hosed justice systems are/can be. I'm not advocating for death row inmates to all be gatted. But when it is arrested-at-the-scene-of-the-crime-with-the-murder-weapon obvious, well, I'll make an exception.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Spanish Matlock posted:

"I'm in the grey here"

-A literal barbarian.

I'll relay this sentiment to the large number of Taiwanese who feel even stronger about this than I do. I'm sure you're holier-than-thouness will go over well with them.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Pandemonium posted:

PS please stop applying your home country's standards to Taiwan. This isn't Canada, USA, England, or wherever you are from. It's super demeaning and racist for you to insist on your "correct" ideas over and against Taiwanese ideas. It's their country, after all, you cultural/ideological imperialist pigs.

Pandemonium posted:

I'm clearly working off a US-based justice system in that example. Sorry, bro, I don't know the ins and outs of Taiwan's other than they still shoot people and have no qualms executing open-and-shut case criminals--something I have no problem with.

And, likely I'm the oval office for "thread mining".

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pandemonium posted:

If you are caught at the scene of the crime with the murder weapon and victim DNA on you with CCTV and witnesses corroborating each other I'd say that goes down as an open-and-shut take him out back and put him down case. One of the few--if not the only--case that I think would fall into this category. I watched "Making a Murderer" like everyone else. I know how hosed justice systems are/can be. I'm not advocating for death row inmates to all be gatted. But when it is arrested-at-the-scene-of-the-crime-with-the-murder-weapon obvious, well, I'll make an exception.

So to be clear, you want a law that says "The accused shall be eligible for the death penalty if they are caught at the scene of the crime with the murder weapon and victim DNA on them with CCTV and witnesses corroborating each other."

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Pandemonium posted:

I'll relay this sentiment to the large number of Taiwanese who feel even stronger about this than I do. I'm sure you're holier-than-thouness will go over well with them.

This is a weak appeal to authority, and further an attempt to discredit by assumed popularity (probably a subset of the same fallacy).

I can easily make the exact opposite assertion from a wide range of Taiwanese professionals across several social strata. I'd also wager I deal with more locals in a day than you experience in a month.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Pandemonium posted:

Nah it's cool, most of my friends are interesting and nuanced people, so it's pretty much just douches like you who need to get hosed.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

url posted:

And, likely I'm the oval office for "thread mining".

Don't see the problem here. I'm OK with what Taiwan's government did in this case. The jury trial stuff was not meant as a criticism of Taiwan, unlike every other poster in this thread who is enjoying taking a dump on this fine country for one little overzealous execution.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Pandemonium posted:

one little overzealous execution.

One little overzealous simplification

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

url posted:

This is a weak appeal to authority, and further an attempt to discredit by assumed popularity (probably a subset of the same fallacy).

I can easily make the exact opposite assertion from a wide range of Taiwanese professionals across several social strata. I'd also wager I deal with more locals in a day than you experience in a month.

Nah, I'm not personally deriving the correctness based on popularity or "authority". I'm saying such a sentiment as the one that was posted to make fun of me is even more applicable to a whooooooole lot of locals. I don't want you to draw anything further. Also, it's cute that people in this thread would judge them as if they are Americans.

And lol at your "I tutor a few engineers and they are so much more enlightened than the Taiwanese normies".

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

url posted:

One little overzealous simplification

Yep, all I'm seeing is a lot of implicit slippery slope arguments. "They killed this dude, so it wont be too long till the guy who robs a bank gets executed dead in two weeks and then the guy who won't pay his parking fines gets taken out immediately after his court date".

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Pandemonium posted:

Nah, I'm not personally deriving the correctness based on popularity or "authority". I'm saying such a sentiment as the one that was posted to make fun of me is even more applicable to a whooooooole lot of locals. I don't want you to draw anything further. Also, it's cute that people in this thread would judge them as if they are Americans.

And lol at your "I tutor a few engineers and they are so much more enlightened than the Taiwanese normies".

He was trying to make me scared that if I disagree with his ridiculous bullshit that none of my Taiwanese friends would want to play with me anymore. I also specifically said that pretty much every person I know is more enlightened than your dumb rear end. You've got that double threat going of lovely terrible opinions and absolute inability to convince anyone of them.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Can someone post the bingo card? I can't remember where I saved it.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Spanish Matlock posted:

He was trying to make me scared that if I disagree with his ridiculous bullshit that none of my Taiwanese friends would want to play with me anymore. I also specifically said that pretty much every person I know is more enlightened than your dumb rear end. You've got that double threat going of lovely terrible opinions and absolute inability to convince anyone of them.

Yes, your friends are the enlightened ones I wasn't referring to. I was referring to the Everyman and Everywoman, a lot of whom supported explicitly or implicitly this execution AFAIK. You clearly think they are barbarians or worse if you think I'm a barbarian for shoulder shrugging at this case.

Also, Lol if you think I'm trying to convince you of anything. That is not what the internet is for, obviously.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Hey while I think of it, has the Brass Monkey or anywhere in Taipei been showing Super Rugby?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Pandemonium posted:

Yep, all I'm seeing is a lot of implicit slippery slope arguments. "They killed this dude, so it wont be too long till the guy who robs a bank gets executed dead in two weeks and then the guy who won't pay his parking fines gets taken out immediately after his court date".

No, you stupid poo poo heel! The argument is if loving Ma is allowed to circumvent the due process of this nation for what he hopes to be some personal political gain and a "bright mark" on his legacy, then some guy who isn't an outright monster can get caught up in the same situation later on down the road, leading to a great injustice. It's not about executing people (well, partly it is), it's about punishing people for political reasons. Your only reaction is "welp, couldn't have happened to a nicer guy!" This is suppose to be "Good China" not loving Iran.

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Ignore list is some weakass poo poo especially when Panda's opinions and the controversy they cause are pretty much the lifeblood of this thread.

If it wasn't for Line this thread would be a thousand pages of motorcycles, Hearthstone, ARC chat, and url's favorite links of the day.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Chantilly Say posted:

So to be clear, you want a law that says "The accused shall be eligible for the death penalty if they are caught at the scene of the crime with the murder weapon and victim DNA on them with CCTV and witnesses corroborating each other."

So if they had taken a week to find him they should execute him later, got it.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Pandemonium posted:

You don't get to decide what people do and do not draw from what your posted words. If you struggle with the awesome responsibility of writing, then don't give up that day job, I guess photocopying and cut/pasting work sheets is the right job for you.

Your inability to cope with peer review is kinda detrimental to the writing process imho. Just saying, bro.

You made an appeal to authority based on the anecdote of "my friends" (the normies). Lol at demeaning engineers as being a lower class. And for a third, lol if you think I "tutor a bunch of engineers".

For my money, you hang around with a few students with populist ill thought out opinions, some of whom are basically your acolytes and probably catamites.

You haven't begun to address the universally agreed upon and widely declared inhumanity of the death sentence, something you're prepared to hand wave away with a disconcertingly trite "overzealousness".

If anything, you exhibit the colonial mindset with your stance that "the natives will learn in due course with a little training".

For all your 'this great country', I'd bet my bottom dollar you're the one preparing an exit - simply because thou doth protest too much.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

YF19pilot posted:

If it wasn't for Line this thread would be a thousand pages of motorcycles, Hearthstone, ARC chat, and url's favorite links of the day.

See also, spy chat, international election chat, thailand updates, fathering, career advice and, why doesn't panda love us pining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

GoutPatrol posted:

So if they had taken a week to find him they should execute him later, got it.

Not sure what you're getting at, to be honest.