Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

As Greg Sargent so aptly put it this morning: "so yes, Democrats are wringing their hands about HIllary Clinton, but they wouldn't be Democrats if they weren't."

In 2008 weren't we all rotating between convincing ourselves that Obama v Clinton was strengthening Obama for the general, and Arzying about how Clinton was loving everyone by not dropping out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Kro-Bar posted:

SCOTUS punted the contraceptive mandate back to the lower courts. Ugh.

It would inevitably be a 4-4 clusterfuck if they ruled on it right now, stalling seems to be the prudent option.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Gyges posted:

In 2008 weren't we all rotating between convincing ourselves that Obama v Clinton was strengthening Obama for the general, and Arzying about how Clinton was loving everyone by not dropping out?

That was before I posted on SA but was active at DKos and yes, that was pretty much the Democrat baseline position.

Worrying that by nominating John McCain, people would fall for his "I am maverick, moderate" bullshit and we'd be stuck with Bush III

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

RuanGacho posted:

I'm going to take a different tact and ask what you would like to see different about the Democrats to vote for them. I have my own critiques but maybe they're different.

A lot of issues, but mainly I'd like to a party have a strong stance against endless wars. Hillary certainly isn't getting my vote. My partner is from Libya and we had the recent 'joy' of watching her reckless policies completely destroy the country so it'll take a lot to convince me.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

AbsoluteLlama posted:

A lot of issues, but mainly I'd like to a party have a strong stance against endless wars. Hillary certainly isn't getting my vote. My partner is from Libya and we had the recent 'joy' of watching her reckless policies completely destroy the country so it'll take a lot to convince me.

You know the Secretary of State doesn't set the US Foreign Policy on their own? They carry out administration policy, which is crafted from a variety of sources.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Slate Action posted:

It would inevitably be a 4-4 clusterfuck if they ruled on it right now, stalling seems to be the prudent option.

True, but it's still disappointing.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

You know the Secretary of State doesn't set the US Foreign Policy on their own?

True, but HIllary's views are pretty drat hawkish. I still prefer her any day to anything the Republicans can throw up though and feel that Libya was hosed one way or another once a rebellion began in earnest.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I heard an interesting quote from a radio show that really says how i and others feel, Saying that Ted Cruz people are being pressured or guilted into voting for trump and they say they wont because "You are assuming that trump (clinton) had my vote to begin with and lost it at some point, which is not the case".

There is absolutely no chance i'll vote for clinton, and that pains me because i've reliably pulled [D] since i was 18. I wouldnt do it at gunpoint. I think many clinton folks are too hopped up on drinking the "Its not a white male!" kool-aid and just assume that all other liberal voters either feel the same way, or were TRICKED by evil white male bernie into not supporting clinton.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

You know the Secretary of State doesn't set the US Foreign Policy on their own? They carry out administration policy, which is crafted from a variety of sources.

Are you saying that Clinton disagreed with those policies?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
If you support Democratic causes, you should vote for Hillary. It's pretty selfish and shortsighted to do otherwise.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Mozi posted:

If you support Democratic causes, you should vote for Hillary. It's pretty selfish and shortsighted to do otherwise.

Depends what you mean by "Democratic Causes". The democratic party of 10 years ago is not the democratic party of today.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/donald-trump-moderate-democrats-223168

Continue the Arzying!!!

quote:

As Democrats portray Donald Trump as a dangerous leader for his party, most of them barely acknowledge he could be president. But some centrist Democrats say they’re ready and willing to work with the business mogul should he defeat their party’s nominee.

“The people will have a chance to vote. If Donald Trump is elected president there will be a great opportunity to sit down and have a conversation about what that agenda looks like,” explained Sen. Heidi Heitkamp (D-N.D.), who has long backed Hillary Clinton. “If he’s president, we’re going to have disagreement. But we’d better all figure out how to come up with an agenda for the American people.”

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Depends what you mean by "Democratic Causes". The democratic party of 10 years ago is not the democratic party of today.

please elaborate on the specific ways in which you feel this is true

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
E mm

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

MattD1zzl3 posted:

All those minorities. *shakes head*

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

MattD1zzl3 posted:

You should vote for her based on potential Supreme Court appointments alone. Also look who she's running against.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Friendly reminder that every vote you don't use to support the D supports The Trump and all the poo poo head ideas that come up on right wing radio.

Seriously you people really should pick the hills you die on more carefully. Your vote matters, your symbolic yet impotent political statement does not.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

MattD1zzl3 posted:

There is absolutely no chance i'll vote for clinton, and that pains me because i've reliably pulled [D] since i was 18. I wouldnt do it at gunpoint. I think many clinton folks are too hopped up on drinking the "Its not a white male!" kool-aid and just assume that all other liberal voters either feel the same way, or were TRICKED by evil white male bernie into not supporting clinton.

Great, no one cares, she will be President without your vote.

It's amazing how much we delude ourselves into thinking votes for the top of the ticket carry any sort of statistical significance.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Mozi posted:

I don't think there's anything wrong with voting your conscience. If you're a one issue voter and that issue is opposition to America's wars then neither Clinton nor Trump are good candidates to vote for.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Gorelab posted:

True, but HIllary's views are pretty drat hawkish. I still prefer her any day to anything the Republicans can throw up though and feel that Libya was hosed one way or another once a rebellion began in earnest.

There was a pretty balanced piece on Vox about this a few weeks ago. Basically the thing is because she's been involved in actual US Foreign Policy decisions, unlike anyone else in the field, she has the baggage of actually having to support the things you have to support when you're in power -- but she also has a very long record of diplomatic intervention over military intervention. It's not to say she's a dove, but essentially that dove/hawk is a kind of meaningless binary.

botany posted:

Are you saying that Clinton disagreed with those policies?

I am saying calling it her policies is a bit misleading. It also fails to understand why Libya ended up being such a cluster gently caress after the initial intervention, some of which is a result of things that happened after she left State.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I heard an interesting quote from a radio show that really says how i and others feel, Saying that Ted Cruz people are being pressured or guilted into voting for trump and they say they wont because "You are assuming that trump (clinton) had my vote to begin with and lost it at some point, which is not the case".

You're also a moron, so...

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

SSNeoman posted:

Friendly reminder that every vote you don't use to support the D supports The Trump and all the poo poo head ideas that come up on right wing radio.

Seriously you people really should pick the hills you die on more carefully. Your vote matters, your symbolic yet impotent political statement does not.

* Offer only valid in some states.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

gradenko_2000 posted:

Refresh my memory, but did Jeb Bush actually say "[something], boy, I don't know" during the primaries because it came up in the West Wing and now I can't tell if I just hallucinated Jeb saying it IRL.

Kasich said like "This is just nuts, jeez, oh man" in a debate in reference to the slapfight between Trump and everyone else.

At some event, Bush said "stuff happens" in response to another school shooting. You might have been thinking of that since the original was "Crime, oh boy, I don't know."

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

botany posted:

I don't think there's anything wrong with voting your conscience. If you're a one issue voter and that issue is opposition to America's wars then neither Clinton nor Trump are good candidates to vote for.

I'm just gonna say it, one issue voters are all morons.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Yep. But Clinton is very openly hawkish and strongly pursued the NATO bombing of Libya.

Gorelab posted:

Libya was already hosed up. Gaddafi tortured and raped teenage girls among other things. ISIS beheadings and civil war aren't any better.

It's not easy to convince someone to vote for the person that pushed for bombing your childhood home.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

God dammit. Smells like 2001-2008 all over again. It's like they've learned nothing about Republicans from the entirety of the Obama administration.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

AbsoluteLlama posted:

My partner is from Libya and we had the recent 'joy' of watching her reckless policies completely destroy the country so it'll take a lot to convince me.

I know that we took the logistical lead on that operation, but you realize that Europe, the UN, and the Arab League all were participating or signed off on it, right?

I mean, what would you be saying right now if we'd just stood back and let Gaddafi burn down Benghazi?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I mean I don't think being a one issue voter is great either, but if e.g. you have Iraki roots and were forced to see your country bombed to poo poo then I'm not going to hold it against you if you care about foreign policy more than anything else.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

AbsoluteLlama posted:

Yep. But Clinton is very openly hawkish and strongly pursued the NATO bombing of Libya.

She's also very openly a proponent of diplomatic engagement as the first option.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

AbsoluteLlama posted:

Libya was already hosed up. Gaddafi tortured and raped teenage girls among other things. ISIS beheadings and civil war aren't any better.

It's not easy to convince someone to vote for the person that pushed for bombing your childhood home.

She didn't 'push' for it, she wanted it on the table, but the main hawk voices were actually France who wanted full on invasion poo poo going down.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Stop doing bad things!

No!

Oh well, we tried. Moral victories are our only victories.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

She's also very openly a proponent of diplomatic engagement as the first option.

Politicians say a lot of things. It doesn't change what they've actually done.

I'm not a single-issue voter, I was just talking about one of the major issues I care about. My vote doesn't matter anyway as my state will go blue in the general election.

botany posted:

I mean I don't think being a one issue voter is great either, but if e.g. you have Iraki roots and were forced to see your country bombed to poo poo then I'm not going to hold it against you if you care about foreign policy more than anything else.

This basically. If you bomb people, then expect to have 'single issue' voters.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

SedanChair posted:

All those minorities. *shakes head*

Hey, if Romney can weep over it, so can we!

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

AbsoluteLlama posted:

Politicians say a lot of things. It doesn't change what they've actually done.

She led the last major talks between leaders of Israel and Palestine and initiated the negotiations for the Iran deal -- both of which were ideas she supported.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Taerkar posted:

Stop doing bad things!

No!

Oh well, we tried. Moral victories are our only victories.

Unless someone else in charge bombed people before, in which case we don't even have moral victories due to some perpetual metaphysical taint.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Drunkboxer posted:

You should vote for her based on potential Supreme Court appointments alone. Also look who she's running against.

Trump would nominate a bunch of Souters.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Not sure what's so bad about 'one issue'. What does that even mean?

Some of the top issues I care about :

- Bombing everybody (hyperbole I know, but we do bomb a lot of different people)
- Climate change. Neither Dems or Republicans take this seriously at all (at least Democrats acknowledge that it exists as a platform)
- Domestic financial policy. I think Bernie has really brought this to the forefront this election, which is good I guess.
- Single payer healthcare.

I also am not a member of any particular party because they're all awful. You'd think with those 3 things I'd be a green, but they also have crazy poo poo like:

- Ban use of GMO food 'until more research is done'.
- Single-payer healthcare.... for homeopathic medicine.
- Shut down all nuclear reactors immediately.

Any one of those positions makes me not interested in supporting that party. Is that single-issue?

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

SedanChair posted:

Wow she engages Trump's attacks all over the place. She's raring to go, it's honestly when she comes across as most sincere.

IMO Clinton looks her best when she's an annoyed technocrat enduring waves of blistering stupidity.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

AbsoluteLlama posted:

Not sure what's so bad about 'one issue'. What does that even mean?

Some of the top issues I care about :

- Bombing everybody (hyperbole I know, but we do bomb a lot of different people)
- Climate change. Neither Dems or Republicans take this seriously at all (at least Democrats acknowledge that it exists as a platform)
- Domestic financial policy. I think Bernie has really brought this to the forefront this election, which is good I guess.
- Single payer healthcare.

I also am not a member of any particular party because they're all awful. You'd think with those 3 things I'd be a green, but they also have crazy poo poo like:

- Ban use of GMO food 'until more research is done'.
- Single-payer healthcare.... for homeopathic medicine.
- Shut down all nuclear reactors immediately.

Any one of those positions makes me not interested in supporting that party. Is that single-issue?

no, it's when you claim to vote based on one issue and only one issue. like if for some reason you would have to vote for repub pres/dem senate/repub house/dem local senate/repub local house in order to only vote for anti-gun-control candidates

what you have is just unrealistic expectations, not that that is necessarily bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I'm asking what people object to with Democrats not because I'm seeking out wrong thought but because I want to know what things are plausible to add and purge to the party platform or what are the most likely candidates for a 2nd party resurgence if and when the Republicans collapse in on themselves.

Llama's anti war feelings is not something that I was immediately considering and is useful and allows development of.some ideas on how to talk to voters to encourage that stance like "No American Blood and Treasure for robber barons!"

• Locked thread