Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Iretep posted:

Im not even sure how to lose souls in this one. 2 was pretty brutal on parts where losing souls was very possible. This one there doesent seem to be a string of dangerous parts where you could lose souls by dying at the end.

But in 2 you could repair a ring of sacrifice for like 5k souls, so while tedious it meant deaths meant nothing until you were struggling on a boss (I've still never beaten fume Knight or iron passage)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Viperix posted:

Someone earlier was asking about a Greatshield/Greatweapon run. What are everyone's favorite giant gently caress-off great weapons?

SMOUGH'S HAMMAR

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

mastershakeman posted:

But in 2 you could repair a ring of sacrifice for like 5k souls, so while tedious it meant deaths meant nothing until you were struggling on a boss (I've still never beaten fume Knight or iron passage)

I made the mistake of popping the one in highwall on and then I died and it saved a whopping 2,500 souls :v:

Now I have a fistful of them that I'll never use, because if they're onetime use, they're worthless to me

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

I made the mistake of popping the one in highwall on and then I died and it saved a whopping 2,500 souls :v:

Now I have a fistful of them that I'll never use, because if they're onetime use, they're worthless to me

You can use them when you die for a second chance to regain souls, so if you get unlucky and die in a lovely spot with a bunch of souls you can try twice to get them back.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Polo-Rican posted:

Oh yeah, I know you can talk to him, I'm just wondering what the best tactic is for avoiding the arrows before you do so.

Go talk with him before going in there. Might as well do the detour and pick up Cornyx on the way

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Bugblatter posted:

I've always been suspicious of just how blind her playthroughs are, and that doesn't help. Thinking it looks like Anor Londo/Eleum Loyce/Heide's Tower? Fine. Specifically that building though? It's not visible enough to clearly identify even once you do know.

She's been looking for Lordran the whole game, and a message said "Look closely." The spires reminded her of Lordran's architecture, and Anor Londo's main set piece is the cathedral. She doesn't know yet that she was correct.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Loopoo posted:

I'm a little babby... Plus I'm really scared cause everyone pumps Darksouls to be super hard so I'm constantly hoarding souls to level up and buy gear due to the constant fear of reaching an area and being too weak to continue on, and then having no way of gaining enough souls to level up and become strong enough.

this games not hard you can just run past almost every enemy in the game

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

Even better, you could repair rings of life protection, which stop you from losing health and souls, and you could get multiple of them per playthrough. I had 3 at one point on new game++ and just repaired all three after 3 deaths against a tough boss. Then go at it again lol. Dark souls 2 was so easy hahah.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Loopoo posted:

"Oh no! I died and lost 6000 souls, I worked so hard for that! What will I do now?!"
"Lad, you fear death too much. Embrace it, it's your calling. Life is meaningless and we are but sheep to the slaughter. Die enough and you'll soon learn you're made of tougher stuff. A wolf in sheep's clothing."
"Jesus loving Christ, man, what kind of horrors have you seen?"

typical encounter I imagine going down

honestly that's basically the plot to all the souls games

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
Took my first ever Dark Souls character (Level 15 Sorcerer) into the first real boss fight on accident. Should have known better due to the big loving double doors, phantom helpers, and what-not. But no, I'm retarded.

No mana, so no spells. No flasks left, so no healing. No throwing daggers, whatever they'd be good for here. Just me, a broad sword, and a shield.

gently caress

Popped an Ember, played close game and just rolled whenever he started to swing, hugging him and swinging like hell. Only took one hit from him and he dropped.

Holy poo poo do I feel lucky.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Greataxe is pretty rad, and you can get it hilariously early. I've been one-shotting everything with a raw +3. The only downside to adopting it early is playing catch-up with strength and vitality if you ever want to use a shield again.

Does anyone know if it has any unparriable attacks?

VodeAndreas posted:

I think I was just invaded by my first hacker... One hit killed with Curse, took about a normal hits worth of HP damage but just died and my body crystalled up, no bar or anything just the effect.

This was way worse back in the day when you came back with reduced health. My favorite DS1 hacker story was the invisible guy who backstabbed me, killed me in one hit, and inflicted me with curse and egghead.

Little did he know, I was fast-tracking to Blighttown specifically to get egghead.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I really don't want to use a great shield to beat nameless king since i know i can do it dodging but the dragon tooth is slow as poo poo in a fight that its pretty bad for. I've got a +10 heavy dark sword but its a bit poo poo using it 2 handed. Any recommendations other than pushing on with the dragons tooth?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jose posted:

I really don't want to use a great shield to beat nameless king since i know i can do it dodging but the dragon tooth is slow as poo poo in a fight that its pretty bad for. I've got a +10 heavy dark sword but its a bit poo poo using it 2 handed. Any recommendations other than pushing on with the dragons tooth?

Just use the +10 Heavy Dark Sword one-handed and put a great shield in your other hand. Slow weapons are too much of a liability on that fight. The faster attack rate on the Dark Sword will also open up more visceral attack opportunities.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
Okay so here's something that just popped into my head: Vordt of the Boreal Valley. What is a "Vordt"?

The other one is the Dancer of the Boreal Valley, and I'm pretty sure "dancer" isn't her name, but it's what she does. So, what the hell is a Vordt?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Platypus Farm posted:

Okay so here's something that just popped into my head: Vordt of the Boreal Valley. What is a "Vordt"?

The other one is the Dancer of the Boreal Valley, and I'm pretty sure "dancer" isn't her name, but it's what she does. So, what the hell is a Vordt?

http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Soul+of+Boreal+Valley+Vordt

quote:

Vordt served as an outrider knight, never far from the fleeting dancer.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
And his hammer

quote:

Great Hammer wielded by Vordt, the outrider knight of the Boreal Valley.
VS her swords

quote:

Paired enchanted swords that Pontiff Sulyvahn bestowed upon the Dancer of the Boreal Valley.

Vordt is just the dude's name. She's "the" Dancer.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Platypus Farm posted:

Vorst is dutch for Frost.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Emy posted:

I, too, used RASS for the old demon king on my pyro. Edit: wait, the miniboss demon. Used RASS for that too.

Chain is counter productive at that much vig, yes.

The correct nomenclature for a raw infused astora straight sword is RAW rear end

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

When Gozer the Gozarian roams the earth, you have my permission to die.
Fun Shoe
I wrapped up getting 100% in the game last night, last thing I had to do is max out the Dark Moon covenant and when I was down to 3 proofs left, I was actually summoned for the faction for the very first time. Every other turn-in was farmed at Anor Londo with item discovery & extra souls items on, I would estimate I gained about 10 million souls in the process if you want to imagine how fun that experience was.

Now I need a wacky build to have fun with since I'm running out of places to put stats. A quick calculator check says I could just go plain ridiculous at 99 INT/FAITH and still have a large health pool, that sounds dumb/perfect.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

MZ posted:

I've not finished the game yet and while I'm really enjoying it, I think I liked Bloodborne better.

DS3 feels a lot like a 'souls greatest hits' but I liked the risks they took in BB - no shields, no equip weight, very few weapons (but almost all of them really good & viable end-gamers), no magic/sorcery, reduced number of stats, and the rally mechanic was excellent. It just felt like they streamlined everything and it made for a really fun, pure experience. It wasn't without flaws, no game is, but I think it's FROMs finest work, at least from the solo PvE perspective.

I think I might have to agree. I'm 2.5 playthroughs into DS3, and I have no reservations calling it the best Souls game...besides Bloodborne.

I miss most every weapon being equally viable. I miss gem slots over having a dozen infusions, half being useless. I miss being able to equip whatever I wanted for purely aesthetic reasons. I miss controlling a character that was fast enough to reliably keep up with the action. I miss the PVP, as stunted as it was, for requiring dodging and hit trading over turtling behind a shield or a wall of phantoms. I miss having specialty builds like arcane or bloodtinge that actually pay off dividends with heavy investment, as opposed to being almost as good as pure melee.

Bloodborne is special.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

lore talk: could the dancer be ciaran?

that was my very first thought when I fought her. it's also possible that the pontiff stole the tracers from ciaran and gave them to the dancer, a separate individual

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

SciFiDownBeat posted:

lore talk: could the dancer be ciaran?

that was my very first thought when I fought her. it's also possible that the pontiff stole the tracers from ciaran and gave them to the dancer, a separate individual

ciaran wasn't royalty and is dead.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Zombies' Downfall posted:

And his hammer

VS her swords

Vordt is just the dude's name. She's "the" Dancer.

Oh :(

Wait, new theory - if vordt is one letter off from frost in Dutch, then are there any dutch words that are one letter off from Dancer? I think we might be treading new territory here.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Vermain posted:

It's more that you just start to grasp the mechanical underpinnings of the game thoroughly enough to no longer be bothered by them. I was pretty goddamn terrified fighting the Taurus Demon for the first time, because I thought that there was no way i could block the massive overhead swings of his axe with a shield. Once I understood the mechanics of how shields worked, however, that terror vanished into thin air.

They definitely play on the psychological aspect as much as possible with some bosses. The harder a Souls game is piling on the attempts to psych you out, the more likely the boss is to be a pushover. If you walk in and some epic action music starts playing and a 20 foot tall beast made out of teeth, claws, and slime smashes its way through the wall, screams, and charges you, you can bet that chump will probably fall over if you just stay calm and poke it in the nose. Usually it's the small guys with a single sword that you have to worry about.

Off the top of my head I'd say Taurus Demon, Gaping Dragon, Centipede Demon try to do this in Souls 1, maybe Last Giant in 2 (2 had way too many 'generic dude in armor' enemies), and probably Vordt and the Curse-rotted Greatwood in 3.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I had to refund this game after 72 minutes. I am very very bad at it

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
So does summoning phantom npc's make the bosses harder or is it just regular people?

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Philosopher King posted:

So does summoning phantom npc's make the bosses harder or is it just regular people?

Any extra bodies in the room will increase boss HP.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

blue squares posted:

tallgeese can we get a hack to do this to people

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Vermain posted:

Just use the +10 Heavy Dark Sword one-handed and put a great shield in your other hand. Slow weapons are too much of a liability on that fight. The faster attack rate on the Dark Sword will also open up more visceral attack opportunities.

after realising i can equip the dragons tooth and the dark sword at the same time and stay under 70% i'm doing that and just switching for phase 2. Worked out alright but then i started being poo poo and dying to the dragon so its time for a break

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

SL120 PvP is still looking horrible and is only a "standard" for some places because it means you can play a 40'd out demigod and not need to actually make any kind of a build, as usual it seems.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

lite_sleepr posted:

The correct nomenclature for a raw infused astora straight sword is RAW rear end

I've been silently giggling to myself about this for a while now. I'm glad someone finally caught on.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

blue squares posted:

For what it's worth, it took me about a day and a half of playing DS1 to actually defeat the first "real" boss. You may want to try one of the earlier games, as DS3 was definitely made with the mindset that the people buying this game had probably already played one of the previous games in the series.

Yardbomb posted:

SL120 PvP is still looking horrible and is only a "standard" for some places because it means you can play a 40'd out demigod and not need to actually make any kind of a build, as usual it seems.

In fairness, SL120 also allows caster builds that aren't garbage to potentially compete.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

And yet you still can't really be a spellcaster 120 without nuking your defenses and/or using Darkmoon Blade as a barely-stronger but much fancier resin. :shrug:

I dunno, that's probably the point. SL 120 is basically necessary to let non-pyro spellcasters compete, but even then it's still probably not worth it.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
For anyone interested, the Dark Souls Board Game Kickstarter campaign is ending in the next hour or so. The base pledge cost of ~$106 USD + shipping gets you an absurd amount of miniatures and game content.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/steamforged/dark-soulstm-the-board-game

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

what's the highest soul level someone can be such that the maximum soul level you can invade/you can be invaded by is 100?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Yardbomb posted:

What do you mean? At that SL you basically have to pick two offensive stats of Str, Dex, Int, Fth, and Luck to raise (or one casting stat super high) alongside ~40 Vig and then leftover points for stamina, weight, and FP/slots.

Any meta where you can only have one offensive stat at 40 without tanking your HP sucks rear end

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What do you mean? At that SL you basically have to pick two offensive stats of Str, Dex, Int, Fth, and Luck to raise (or one casting stat super high) alongside ~40 Vig and then leftover points for stamina, weight, and FP/slots.

Any meta where you can only have one offensive stat at 40 without tanking your HP sucks rear end

Some people who advocate for SL 80 say that SL 120 is basically "quality or go home"--at that level, if you're a physical build, there's not really any reason not to go 40 Str/40 Dex and that is (from what I've been told) part of what makes weapons that kick rear end Refined so drat ubiquitous. That, and people really hate the idea of buffing builds that don't have to use Raw weapons, which is possible at SL 120 (if you're willing to tank your HP/Stamina to make the buff worthwhile).

I also think that "build variety" is sort of a sacred cow for the Souls PvP crowd and I don't really find builds nearly interesting enough to care all that much. Individual weapons and spell selections, those are fun and interesting, but the fine variations of builds to use X Strength weapon over Y Strength weapon just gets a big :shrug: from me. To be fair, those sorts of variations on "Strength build" or "Dex build" start to disappear at SL 120, but again, I don't think that's that huge of a deal.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

What do you mean?

All it ever really leads to is just 40 STR/DEX/VIG same old quality monsters and I've gotten bored to death of it.

I dunno, after 5 games now I just feel like faster and faster people stop trying to do anything funny or creative and it just turns into rapidly pumping to 120, so we can all fight the same new cookie cutter megabuilds for this one.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 16, 2016

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Bloodborne was the best game ever made but all of the Dark Souls are better because they have multiplayer.

Bloodborne does have multiplayer though, even if it is generally worse due to what lag does to a faster-paced game where you get hit harder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Lore question about Gwynevere:

What happened to her? It says she ran off with the God of War but then could be the wife of Oceiros and ran off again, is there any information on what happened to her? I've been wondering since Dark Souls 1.