Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I guess it's more of finding something that would send one play command when it hits a threshhold and stays there instead of spamming the play button?

There must be some way to have oxmplayer or something make it so when you hit play it plays and doesn't pause it again.

Edit: :derp: I think I figured it out, now it's just a matter of learning how to program the joystick

Empress Brosephine fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ok, i'm starting to get this underhand, do you guys know if there's a way to set a controllers / joystiqs default / neutral position to be a mouse press?

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Abu Dave posted:

Do you guys know if there's a application or something where I can set up a joystick so that when you press one way it plays a video and when you let go it stops?

So like this?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Exactly lmao. I've kind of figured it out by having MPC (messing around on windows now) play when you press a direction, but I cna't for the life of me figure out how to assign the Stop function to a release of the direction. If I get it working in MPC thats one thing, I don't even want to think about having to gently caress around with oxmplayer :suicide:

Empress Brosephine fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 13, 2016

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

For my current plans I'm going to be remoting into my headless Pi via VNC or SSH, depending on whether I need a GUI that day. I more or less followed these instructions, and I'm connecting via VNC OK now and I have the VNC server launching at boot: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/remote-access/vnc/

My question is, that documentation claims:

quote:

Since there are now two X sessions running, which would normally be a waste of resources, it is suggested to stop the displaymanager running on :0 using

code:
service lightdm stop

I was able to incorporate that at boot time just fine, and the machine is booting up without an X session at :0. What I'm curious is, what is the real resource usage if I don't do this? I know the Pis are not super powerful machines so it makes sense to conserve, but I'm a little concerned that in my tinkering I might lock myself out of the machine if I break my ability to SSH/VNC in, and want to hook it up temporarily to an HDMI monitor and still have an X session.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Well after googling a little bit and learning about the top command, it looks like the answer to my above question is "about 10MB". So I think I'll leave it running just for peace of mind. :)

Deadcell27
May 11, 2007

Quick, before he comes back!

Powered Descent posted:

Last year I built something very similar to this. My purpose was a little less fun -- I was about to start a diet and wanted to take weekly photosets of myself to document the weight loss process -- but it's basically a general purpose photo booth. (If you're curious, the diet is going great and I'm now down 50 pounds, with only ten more to go until I'm back to my "fighting weight". No, you can't see the pictures.)

Anyway, I built the photobooth thing out of an original Pi Model B, a Pi camera module, an old keyboard, and a PiGlow for feedback -- I didn't want to leave a monitor plugged into it all the time, so it just blinks the LEDs to tell me what's happening. The interface is pretty darn rudimentary, being just a thing I threw together for whatever functions it occurred to me to have handy. For example, hit P on the keyboard to ping the router and see if the wi-fi is still alive: it'll blink green if it worked or red if it didn't. (If it's dead, hit B to bounce the network connection.) Or hit S to start a photo sequence -- it'll blink red twice, yellow, twice, green twice, then turn on the white full-blast while taking the photo. Then do that twice more for the other angles I want. The pictures get named with a date stamp.

Coding it all from scratch was actually a fun little weekend project, but if you wanted something to start from, I could probably be persuaded to post my python code.

This does sound similar to what I want to do. I'm not including a screen right now, as I want to keep the first version looking pretty simple. If you could throw the code on github or something, that would be great. It would give me a good example to adapt/work towards.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

You could just run Kodi, which does this out of the box.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

EVIL Gibson posted:

I think you can install an add-on for deluge on kodi/xbmc or some other kind of torrent app.

To add on a question to the response, are there any guides of how to use a Chinese knock off xbox 360 wireless adapter to retro pi? I can get the fake working successfully using the article below on Windows. It requires you to point to a specific version of the adapter drivers

https://krisrowland.wordpress.com/2011/06/09/fake-microsoft-xbox-360-wireless-controller-adapter-in-windows-7-64-bit/

The error that he's talking about in your linked post sounds like a driver code signing issue, which makes sense if you're using knockoff hardware. I doubt Linux would have the same qualms. There are two drivers you can try for the Xbox 360 controller on Linux:

1) xpad, which is a kernel module that ships with Raspbian. It's a little buggy though -- when I tried it my controller worked, but all four sync lights blinked incessantly which was too annoying for me to deal with. Apparently there's a fork that Valve developed for SteamOS that fixes this and other bugs, but I haven't tried it personally. Here's a Github link to the patched version.

2) xboxdrv, which is a userspace driver that hooks into the existing kernel space input device drivers. I've had no issues with it since I switched to it. When I was using retropie (a few versions ago) you had to install it from the extras menu in the Retropie page in Emulationstation.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
E: Wrong thread, sorry.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I've got an old busted PlayStation that I plan on gutting and putting a Pi into, my hope was to crack open a PS1 to USB Adaptor and wire it to the control ports in the actual console so I could use them that way, but I cannot for the life of me get the bloody adaptor to work with Retropie/Emulation Station.

I'm relatively amateur at this stuff so any advice would be appreciated??

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Picked up a Pi 3 at Micro Center this weekend. This thing is great! I installed a Raspbian image, then set up moonlight-embedded and ran the manual RetroPie install. Now I can stream Steam Big Picture to my TV and do the retro gaming thing. It's pretty awesome. As a test, I was able to get Dark Souls III running at 60fps with zero input lag.

Also, since the Pi 3 has built-in bluetooth, I'm wondering if I can pair it with a PS4 controller somehow. I don't see any tutorials on this yet so I'll probably just experiment with it.

Another thing I want to do is create a very simple GUI frontend for the Pi, so when Raspbian boots up it'll display a menu with whatever I want it to run - PC streaming, Emulation Station, Plex client, etc. Somebody has to have done this already. Any ideas?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

DizzyBum posted:

Another thing I want to do is create a very simple GUI frontend for the Pi, so when Raspbian boots up it'll display a menu with whatever I want it to run - PC streaming, Emulation Station, Plex client, etc. Somebody has to have done this already. Any ideas?

I'd be quite interested in that too

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gaz2k21 posted:

I've got an old busted PlayStation that I plan on gutting and putting a Pi into, my hope was to crack open a PS1 to USB Adaptor and wire it to the control ports in the actual console so I could use them that way, but I cannot for the life of me get the bloody adaptor to work with Retropie/Emulation Station.

I'm relatively amateur at this stuff so any advice would be appreciated??

I know it's not much help but if you have a neogaf account ask in their retropie thread they have several people who have done it already.

Does anyone know of a video player for Raspbian? OXMPlayer isn't cutting it in the options department

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
OMXplayer is as good as it gets. Nothing else like VLC really uses the videocore GPU to accelerate video decoding and will therefore be really slow compared to OMXplayer. The Pi foundations developers actually help support OMXplayer so IMHO you want to be using it. Without using the GPU the Pi itself can barely decode a 1080p video, but using the GPU it's smooth and flawless playback of anything H264 as far as I've seen.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just wish it had video controls and replay fucntionality. I mean it probably does but it's hidden in the terminal I think?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah run 'omxplayer --help' (without quotes) and you'll see it has a ton of options. There's a loop option to replay a video clip over and over. There are keyboard commands too, you can see it all on its official repo readme: https://github.com/popcornmix/omxplayer

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You rock thanks!!!!!

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

I'm haven't found and info googling this so I apologize if I sound Ignorant but does anyone here know of any people or projects who are working on a way to run virtual pinball or future pinball (or similar pinball simulators) from a raspberry pi 3? Everything I google seems to be outdated.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The GPU processing isn't there yet tbh, you'd be better off getting one of those mini IBM computers

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I haven't played with a Pi since the original Model A.

I saw some of the projects from Adafruit with small touchscreens and batteries and started thinking about a portable digital radio scanner based on an RTL-SDR.

Any idea if a Pi3 will choke trying to run GnuRadio? I honestly have no idea how much power it requires, but I'd love to be able to hear our new digital public service traffic without dropping $800 on a hardware scanner.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Pi zero is back in stock. Is it powerful enough to run Libre Office well?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Chas McGill posted:

Pi zero is back in stock. Is it powerful enough to run Libre Office well?

In a pinch it could run it but it's going to be really slow with just a single core 700mhz CPU and 512mb of ram. Think back to how slow computers were in the early 2000's (Pentium 3 700mhz or so) and that's what you can expect with the Pi Zero. For desktop use and multitasking you really want a Pi 3 with faster cores and more memory. Besides you're going to want to hook up networking, a mouse, and a keyboard so you're going to need to buy $30 in accessories to connect all those components to the Zero vs. the Pi 3 has networking built in and plenty of USB ports with no USB OTG adapter needed.

I haven't tried gnuradio but it sounds like it ran ok on a Pi 2, so the Pi 3 should be slightly better: http://www.rs-online.com/designspark/electronics/eng/blog/taking-the-raspberry-pi-2-for-a-test-drive-with-gnu-radio-2

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Chas McGill posted:

Pi zero is back in stock.

Where? I'm not seeing it anywhere.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mod sassinator posted:

In a pinch it could run it but it's going to be really slow with just a single core 700mhz CPU and 512mb of ram. Think back to how slow computers were in the early 2000's (Pentium 3 700mhz or so) and that's what you can expect with the Pi Zero. For desktop use and multitasking you really want a Pi 3 with faster cores and more memory. Besides you're going to want to hook up networking, a mouse, and a keyboard so you're going to need to buy $30 in accessories to connect all those components to the Zero vs. the Pi 3 has networking built in and plenty of USB ports with no USB OTG adapter needed.

I haven't tried gnuradio but it sounds like it ran ok on a Pi 2, so the Pi 3 should be slightly better: http://www.rs-online.com/designspark/electronics/eng/blog/taking-the-raspberry-pi-2-for-a-test-drive-with-gnu-radio-2

You're off by quite a ways. The 700 MHz ARM CPU in the Raspberry Pi Zero is more on par with like a 300 MHz Pentium II computer from about 1997, albeit with more RAM then you'd have then. It remains true that the Pi 2 or 3 will be a lot more pleasant of course.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah for having used a p3-700 for doing actual work at one time I can tell you i'd take that over anything short of a pi3 any day.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
Around these parts I've seen used single core Pis going for ~ 10 € (including shipping and sometimes some accessories, like a case) depending on where you live and what you need exactly that might be the better deal, especially considering they have a network interface while the zero doesn't.

An old Atom might even be better for some Linux usage scenarios even if consuming a bit more energy. The single core Pis aren't really good general purpose computers, except if you run them with RiscOS. No matter how accurate the comparison with the PII is (I find comparing so vastly different things in real life circumstances a bit more difficult than that) the PII will feel snappier with 90s era software than the Zero will ever feel with current era Linux software, that's for sure.

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 17, 2016

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Played around with the Pi 3 some more last night, trying to get moonlight-embedded and RetroPie working properly.

I can get a PS4 controller to pair with the built-in Bluetooth, but the input is very buggy and laggy. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, if the drivers are lovely, or something else. I don't know if there's a way to test the inputs without having to keep opening RetroPie.

I managed to get a wireless 360 controller connected via a USB dongle. It was working perfectly in RetroPie once or twice, but something weird happened and now it won't connect properly. But I can run a manual test script that shows all the inputs laglessly sending data to the Pi. It's weird. Half the time it also connects with a blinking ring, but when I manually configure it, I'm able to set the LED on the controller.

Also, controller inputs are mapped incorrectly in moonlight, so PC streaming is off the table until I can figure out how to properly map the controls.

I'm sure I'll figure it out but there's not a lot of documentation out there, especially for the Pi 3, which is fairly new.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Near the bottom of the last page I had a post on this topic. My use case ($$$) involved a high end celeron, giant name brand SSD and 8gb memory, but you can scale it back to around $100 without difficulty and still have excellent performance.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DizzyBum posted:

Played around with the Pi 3 some more last night, trying to get moonlight-embedded and RetroPie working properly.

I can get a PS4 controller to pair with the built-in Bluetooth, but the input is very buggy and laggy. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, if the drivers are lovely, or something else. I don't know if there's a way to test the inputs without having to keep opening RetroPie.

I managed to get a wireless 360 controller connected via a USB dongle. It was working perfectly in RetroPie once or twice, but something weird happened and now it won't connect properly. But I can run a manual test script that shows all the inputs laglessly sending data to the Pi. It's weird. Half the time it also connects with a blinking ring, but when I manually configure it, I'm able to set the LED on the controller.

Also, controller inputs are mapped incorrectly in moonlight, so PC streaming is off the table until I can figure out how to properly map the controls.

I'm sure I'll figure it out but there's not a lot of documentation out there, especially for the Pi 3, which is fairly new.

Honestly if you're just doing retropie you should just download the iso that is just retropie and the emulatin station wrapper, it eliminates alot of the little glitches from what i've seen

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Police Automaton posted:

An old Atom might even be better for some Linux usage scenarios even if consuming a bit more energy. The single core Pis aren't really good general purpose computers, except if you run them with RiscOS. No matter how accurate the comparison with the PII is (I find comparing so vastly different things in real life circumstances a bit more difficult than that) the PII will feel snappier with 90s era software than the Zero will ever feel with current era Linux software, that's for sure.

Well yeah, "but it has to run modern software" is implied. The most directly accurate comparison is that the Pi 1 and Pi Zero are the CPU and GPU of 2005 or 2006 smartphone with a video codec handler bolted in to make video playback better, but a lot of people never touched smartphones that old, let alone had experience using them with a normal size screen. Hence doing the rougher comparisons to desktops that people might have used - they really do benchmark at about the same as the stated computers, and don't have the benefit later revs do of having multicore which can help some things severely.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Interesting, didn't realise just how weak it is. Libre office would be a bit excessive.

Has anyone tried running Focuswriter or another text editor with basic formatting on a Zero?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Abiword maybe?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Abu Dave posted:

Honestly if you're just doing retropie you should just download the iso that is just retropie and the emulatin station wrapper, it eliminates alot of the little glitches from what i've seen

I'd also like to get Moonlight working, but now I'm wondering if I could just stick that into the Emulation Station wrapper.

Yeah, maybe I'll try that later. Thanks for the suggestion!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Chas McGill posted:

Interesting, didn't realise just how weak it is. Libre office would be a bit excessive.

Has anyone tried running Focuswriter or another text editor with basic formatting on a Zero?

Back when netbooks were hot stuff, and I had a crappy slow one as a toy, I used Abiword on a similarly very slow device and it worked quite well. It should do well on the Pi Zero.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
If you're doing desktop stuff IMHO grab a Pi 3 instead. To get a HDMI output, network connection, and plug in mouse & keyboard you're going to need a boatload of dongles that will take up more room than just using a Pi 3 board with everything built in. And you'll probably spend more money getting all those adapters, hubs, cables, etc. vs the cost of a Pi 3.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
Or don't bother with X and anything graphical and only use emacs and plain text. Half-serious because I know many people feel it's an archaic piece of software but if you're willing to learn you get features by the boatload and it runs very well under such circumstances. If that's too much, just use any other text editor. Nothing wrong with plain text. You can even install some framebuffer console like kmscon (fbpad, fbterm, consoled etc.) or something and get your fancy fonts and your 256 colors without X. Install a mouse server like gpm and you also get a mouse cursor. Don't install gentoo though. install gentoo If you basically just want a modern electric organizer or a machine for creative writing free of distractions, a computer that doesn't do the internet well or at all works wonders sometimes for productivity. If you want a computer to write and print letters with for your dad this wouldn't be a good setup.

Still use my old atom netbook in a similar way and to look at .pdfs. I don't use it everyday though. Still quite decent for that and even enough to open the odd website like wikipedia or something. Works well for me but I could understand if that isn't for everybody. Only bad thing is that such a Netbook has and needs a fan, if it was silent it'd be perfect. The Wind U100 had a cheap piece of thin sheet metal as a heatsink, back when this thing costed €300+ you could get proper custom metal heatsinks and I installed one which really brings the usage of the fan down, still runs quite a bit though. One of those days I'm gonna get one of those cheap chinese King* SSDs and see what that does. They're not quick but the Netbook isn't either.

Even an early N270 Atom is quite a bunch faster than a Pi Zero though. The advantage with an netbook is that you get a complete computer if you buy one, with the Pi you still need all that stuff like a screen, a keyboard etc. (if you wanna use it as a desktop and don't want to share that stuff with your main desktop if you have one) and it adds up. Quite surprisingly last time I looked at these old netbooks they were like ~50€ on eBay so they have actually gone up in price a little, I remember distinctly a time when they were like 10-20€ if people even bothered bidding. I'm not sure they're worth that anymore, that would really heavily depend on the condition. It's a bit like with the the old core2duos you could find for a while for free at the side of the road and nowadays not rarely go away for ~100€. (which reaaally surprises me as you can get much more recent stuff close to that price range) Nobody just throws away old computers anymore.

The only thing where the Pi really stands out in all these rough comparsions is power consumption. Even though this also is relative and a computer which can finish a given task quicker might, while drawing more power to do so momentarily, save power over the long run. If you just want a computer that's there 24/7 the Pi (or ARM based stuff in general) will be very hard to beat in that department, though. That's what they have to do as smartphones after all.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

evil_bunnY posted:

Yeah for having used a p3-700 for doing actual work at one time I can tell you i'd take that over anything short of a pi3 any day.

Running software of the day, I bet you'd actually prefer the Pi. The Pi2 would have been a hardcore workstation then too. (Give a Pi a try with NetBSD.)

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

eschaton posted:

Running software of the day, I bet you'd actually prefer the Pi. The Pi2 would have been a hardcore workstation then too. (Give a Pi a try with NetBSD.)

Does it support multiple CPUs of the Pi now? Last time I ran this everything was a bit shaky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Police Automaton posted:

If you basically just want a modern electric organizer or a machine for creative writing free of distractions, a computer that doesn't do the internet well or at all works wonders sometimes for productivity. If you want a computer to write and print letters with for your dad this wouldn't be a good setup.
I never wrote more than I did 20 years ago with an amber screened Brother Word Processor with a daisy wheel printer piggybacking it. It played Tetris, typed in a primitive form of rich text, saved to floppies, and printed in crisp monospace Courier like the typewriter it was deep down inside. And an attached mechanical keyboard, the kind that nerds fetishize these days. To this day I use Q10 when trying to focus on writing and try to get the color scheme and font down just right.

If a 7" display I can stomach paying for ever comes my way, I'll probably use it with a Pi for that purpose at least once before getting distracted by something else.