Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

TFRazorsaw posted:

I've been rewatching Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

Season 2 is weaker than the first but even that's leagues ahead of Avengers Assemble.

I miss it so much.

If I remember correctly, that is because season 2 is when the "Man of Action" team came in to write episodes. You can tell because their episodes (Powerless, for example) run counter to the usual everything-is-connected formula that worked so well in season 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I remember reading somewhere that Loeb really hated the "Previously on Avengers..." because he wanted every episode to be self contained. So this led to some ridiculous handling of sub plots. The Vision plot was split over three episodes but I felt they probably could've done a strong Vision two parter if they were allowed to do that.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Loeb's always been of the opinion that kids can't "handle" ongoing storylines, or complex storylines in general, or character development. So the loud, brash, smug character has to always be loud, brash, and smug all the time, regardless of the situation, and there'll be no storylines that teach them to be humble because that'd mean changing the character.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Fuego Fish posted:

If I remember correctly, that is because season 2 is when the "Man of Action" team came in to write episodes. You can tell because their episodes (Powerless, for example) run counter to the usual everything-is-connected formula that worked so well in season 1.

Also the showed had to shoe horn nearly two seasons worth of plot into one season, which is why you get the Skrull invasion plot and then Galactus, with Surtur poo poo also happening.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I think that was more a bad implementation of setting up future plots, the same way they started season two with the Skrull thing but it didn't come into play properly until basically ten episodes later. They just couldn't do anything with Surtr because the show got cancelled, so all the plot threads were left dangling.

Season three would have probably kicked so much rear end, and instead we got a power point presentation.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I am still baffled by Loeb's idea because all of the current successful kids shows that I can think of have ongoing storylines.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Monaghan posted:

I am still baffled by Loeb's idea because all of the current successful kids shows that I can think of have ongoing storylines.

Loeb hasn't exactly been a source of particularly good ideas in the past decade or so.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

ToastyPotato posted:

Loeb hasn't exactly been a source of particularly good ideas in the past decade or so.

His Nova is pretty good.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Man, I was watching Exo-Squad when I was right around the age Avengers is targeted at and had no problem following an ongoing plot. Never mind that (as was said) lots of kids' shows today have ongoing plots.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

bobkatt013 posted:

His Nova is pretty good.

When he's not the one actually writing the character, sure.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Fuego Fish posted:

When he's not the one actually writing the character, sure.

His run was not bad at all

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Monaghan posted:

Avengers Assemble HAS ongoing plot points, so in the end it amounted to being full of jive.

Don't get me wrong though. Season 2 of Earth's Mightiest Heroes is leagues better than anything Marvel Animation has shat out since, save for Guardians of the Galaxy, which actually turns out rather decent.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TFRazorsaw posted:

Avengers Assemble HAS ongoing plot points, so in the end it amounted to being full of jive.

Don't get me wrong though. Season 2 of Earth's Mightiest Heroes is leagues better than anything Marvel Animation has shat out since, save for Guardians of the Galaxy, which actually turns out rather decent.

Another issue Assemble has is that it just tries to mindlessly take from the movies. Take Klaw for example. I heard he showed up in the series based on his comic design, but a character loosely based on Klaw showed up in the movies so with no explanation the next time he appeared they redesigned him to be based on his movie self.

The entire Avengers Assemble Earth's Mightiest Heroes thing was a horrible mess. Unlike Spectacular Spiderman which could not have continued even if they wanted to due to rights bullshit. This was just an example of cancaling a good show so they could replace with an inferior version of the same show. (Also I hate Tony's voice in Assemble along with the fact that we lost Wasp.) Even at it's weakest EMH was better.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

TFRazorsaw posted:

Last week's episode: "It's the Masters of Evil!"
This week's episode: "WHO ARE THE THUNDERBOLTS?!"
Next week's episode: "The Thunderbolts revealed!"

They're trying, bless them, but JLU it ain't.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fuego Fish posted:

Last week's episode: "It's the Masters of Evil!"
This week's episode: "WHO ARE THE THUNDERBOLTS?!"
Next week's episode: "The Thunderbolts revealed!"

They're trying, bless them, but JLU it ain't.

Man they really should have done more with the Masters of Evil like in EMH instead of going into the Thunderbolts right after. There were so many ways they could have done this better.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

MonsterEnvy posted:

Another issue Assemble has is that it just tries to mindlessly take from the movies. Take Klaw for example. I heard he showed up in the series based on his comic design, but a character loosely based on Klaw showed up in the movies so with no explanation the next time he appeared they redesigned him to be based on his movie self.

The entire Avengers Assemble Earth's Mightiest Heroes thing was a horrible mess. Unlike Spectacular Spiderman which could not have continued even if they wanted to due to rights bullshit. This was just an example of cancaling a good show so they could replace with an inferior version of the same show. (Also I hate Tony's voice in Assemble along with the fact that we lost Wasp.) Even at it's weakest EMH was better.

That's not even the worst of it. Okay, so. They want to act like this is one big continuity, right? Except the Guardians of the Galaxy show up in USM and AA and they have completely different, more comic-book based designs. Then the movie comes out, and they want to do a new show more in line with that. So the Guardians show up in AA with their new movie-themed designs and voice actors. Oh, and Thanos is a villain this season, and at the end of season 2 he ends up with a new look that's also used in the Guardians cartoon.

Except at the end of season 2, Thanos is destroyed, and he can't reform for another 1000 years.

And so in the Guardians cartoon, which can only be set BEFORE Thanos's destruction, he has an appearance that he only has for the last few episodes of AA season 2, featuring Guardians, who ALSO can't be set before any of this because they don't have their outfits from their first few appearances in AA and USM. GoTG's cartoon manages to make things even MORE confusing by introducing new, completely irreconcilable versions of the Black Order, Tygus, the Collector, and symbiotes who are absolutely NOTHING like their roles in the rest of Marvel's animated stuff.

It's a veritable clusterhug.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

McSpanky posted:

Sorry but if you don't count "Stolen Memories", "Brave New Metropolis", "World's Finest", "The Late Mr. Kent", "Apokolips... Now", "Knight Time" or "Legacy" among the DCAU's best you don't have any right to get high and mighty here.

I always loved "The Promethean"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Arctic Baldwin posted:

It is a very pretty episode.

Sometimes people underestimate how important the visuals are in a cartoon, but if your animation studio is good enough "Superman fights big rock thing for 20 minutes" can be one of the standouts.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Arctic Baldwin posted:

I didn't even list every good episode, just the ones I consider the cream of the crop. "The Promethean" is a really cool scifi story with great animation, music and an interesting problem for Supes and his science pals to solve, it's definitely up there.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

JLU's butt-rock score and theme song are so horribly dated and bad, it's a real shame what's arguably the best DCAU cartoon suffers from the worst music and the most pronounced case of Bruce Timm Body Type-itis.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Yeah JL's theme is so good and then when they added the Unlimited and remixed it it made me sad.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 19, 2016

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Don't know what you guys are talking about. Guitar-riff.mp3 is my favorite thing about JLU.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TwoPair posted:

Yeah JL's theme is so good and then when they added the Unlimited and remixed it it made me sad.

As visually uninteresting as the slow mo CG of JL's intro is, that theme song is second only to the Batman one when it comes to conveying the essence of the show.

Kingtheninja posted:

Don't know what you guys are talking about. Guitar-riff.mp3 is my favorite thing about JLU.

Trying to do Butt Rock and Inspiring Orchestral at the same time was as insane as the time Reese's added strawberry jam to their cups.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Is that more or less insane than the new Reese's Pieces stuffed Reese's?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Trying to do Butt Rock and Inspiring Orchestral at the same time was as insane as the time Reese's added strawberry jam to their cups.
I can find no evidence of these anywhere on the Internet.

I also definitely don't want to eat one, no sir, no way.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I really dig the Batman Beyond theme. Same composer as BTAS too, which is weird since it's a very different style.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

redbackground posted:

I can find no evidence of these anywhere on the Internet.

I also definitely don't want to eat one, no sir, no way.

I may be misremembering, there was a blitz of weird flavors in the early 2000s, at least in my region. Inverted reese, fudge reese, cashew reese, reese with honey, jumbo cup with entire peanuts in it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

JLU had its moments, but it was the last hurrah of a universe that had already run out of steam. It tied up everything that was left of the DC Animated Universe with a big bow and sent it off quietly into the night.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I've been rewatching BTAS on Amazon Prime and is there a point where the filler, dumb episodes stop? I'm just now finishing Clayface and that and the two part for Twoface were great, but then we spent two god drat episodes on Catwoman and there's some other bullshit ones too. Not to say everything has to be high stakes like Two Face, some Joker episodes are kind of filler but at least they're still entertaining.

What I'm saying is does it pick up and have less Catwoman-like episodes at some point? Do I need to just skip S1 and get to season 2?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It's a cartoon, not a serialized drama. I think what you mean by "filler episodes" are actually just episodes.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The DCAU didn't get heavily condensed until Justice League. Every show before that is heavily episodic with lots of hit or miss stuff. Including Batman Beyond.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, if the main draw to you is ongoing plot stuff 90% of the DCAU shows except for JLU are going to be filler for you.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

JLU had its moments, but it was the last hurrah of a universe that had already run out of steam. It tied up everything that was left of the DC Animated Universe with a big bow and sent it off quietly into the night.

Jlu was better than justice league. Lot of those episodes should have been one parters

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

I agree that it tied up everything with a big bow, but I'd hardly call it a "last hurrah of a universe that had run out of steam". I mean, it's a well known fact that "Epilogue" was going to be the final episode until they got another season, and then that season was good as well. It was good right to the end, I say, even with its questionable musical score.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Jlu was better than justice league. Lot of those episodes should have been one parters

Justice League was loving terrible. The only bit I could recommend in good conscience is the Flash/Green Lantern buddy cop episodes where they fight Gorilla Grodd.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Justice League was loving terrible. The only bit I could recommend in good conscience is the Flash/Green Lantern buddy cop episodes where they fight Gorilla Grodd.

Superman and Vandel Savage being friends :colbert:
The JSA like episode

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Look at this clown forgetting the Justice Lords.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The Christmas episode

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

JLA suffered a lot from making everything a two-parter, because it meant the lamer episodes went on twice as long as they needed, but Hereafter is a better Superman story than anything in Superman's own cartoon, A Better World is a goshdarn classic, and Wild Cards is one of the better Joker episodes of any show.

notthegoatseguy posted:

I've been rewatching BTAS on Amazon Prime and is there a point where the filler, dumb episodes stop? I'm just now finishing Clayface and that and the two part for Twoface were great, but then we spent two god drat episodes on Catwoman and there's some other bullshit ones too. Not to say everything has to be high stakes like Two Face, some Joker episodes are kind of filler but at least they're still entertaining.

What I'm saying is does it pick up and have less Catwoman-like episodes at some point? Do I need to just skip S1 and get to season 2?

I have no idea what you want from this show, but season 1, despite having some of the lamest episodes written by people who did not really understand that this show was trying to do something very different from other kids' shows at the time, is the one with all the classic episodes everyone loves. Heart of Ice, Two-Face, Feat of Clay, It's Never Too Late, Joker's Favor, Appointment in Crime Alley, Perchance to Dream, Beware the Grey Ghost, I am the Night, Almost Got 'im.... These are all great episodes, and I have a soft spot for the Clock King episode as well.

If you want to avoid the shittier episodes, I suggest skipping anything where Catwoman or Penguin headline. I don't know why, but all their episodes are just dog poo poo.

E: I'd have to check if it was in the later Batman shows as well, but ever since I started watching Superman through JLU, I've heard the same stock car crash sound effect about 200 loving times. They use it for everything.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 08:01 on May 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Watched Justice League vs. Teen Titans last night. I thought whoever was taking about it earlier was joking about the magical girl transformation sequence, but holy poo poo they werenmt kidding. It was straight out if Sailor Moon/Kill la Kill, gratuitous rear end and cleavage shots of Starfire and all. My girlfriend and I busted outlaughing at it. Otherwise, I'd say it was alright but nothing too exciting. They really play the Justice League as a bunch of rubes though.

• Locked thread