Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

It's a $60 indie game that at best is going to an amusing diversion until people get bored of flying to procedurally generated planets with nothing interesting to do on them.

Was there any point in its development when it every even claimed to be anything but this?

Like I understand if people think it looks bag but it's odd to see people like "I was hyped but now I'm not" like anything's really changed since it was announced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Sean Murray's about to make you his bitch.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

deadly_pudding posted:

about 2/3 of the shops and inns I've walked into so far have high-velocity clutter ricocheting around in one or more rooms. I got beaned by goblet or something that did enough damage to kill me at one point :v:

Also, at one point the game started spawning wolves up in the sky, so it was just raining wolves that died upon hitting the ground.
This sounds like a great improvement, I wish to play this version

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

axleblaze posted:

Was there any point in its development when it every even claimed to be anything but this?

Like I understand if people think it looks bag but it's odd to see people like "I was hyped but now I'm not" like anything's really changed since it was announced.

yeah, the game always looked poo poo

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

axleblaze posted:

For a really long time the only claim was "look, we made a big galaxy with MATH" so people just filled in the blanks in their head with whatever random poo poo they wanted to believe. Even now that all the activities have been revealed I'm still a bit gunshy because they have kept the breadth of each option as secret as possible.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, I wasn't expecting a $60 price point, to be honest. That's basically where my interest started wane. I think what they are offering looks cool, but I wasn't sure I was going to buy it even when I thought it was going to closer to $40.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

walking simulators are cool

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

CrashCat posted:

For a really long time the only claim was "look, we made a big galaxy with MATH" so people just filled in the blanks in their head with whatever random poo poo they wanted to believe. Even now that all the activities have been revealed I'm still a bit gunshy because they have kept the breadth of each option as secret as possible.

I hope the game is good because that'd be great, but I'm pretty cautious about it as well.

Exploring and seeing weird poo poo is cool and all but it can get old real fast in a video game

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

What's happening with NMS? I thought people were still all a'titter for it.

Nothing's changed with NMS at all, but for some loving reason the fact that it costs $60 has caused some goons to have a meltdown.

Sucks to be poor I guess :smith:

axleblaze posted:

Nope, people are dumb and looking for things to bitch about. For some reason "person likes game I don't like" really grinds some people's gears. I have better poo poo to do than tell other people to stop being excited about something.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I'd hardly say it's a meltdown when people disagree about the perceived value of a product :rolleye:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

PantsBandit posted:

I started playing that Shadow Warrior from a couple years ago last night. That game rules. I found a couple of bunnies banging in the forest and discovered if you kill one of them the other one turns into a demon bunny and starts warping all over the place trying to eat your face while screamo metal plays in the background

Those were in the original too. You'd sometimes find two rabbits just hopping around and when they'd get close, they'd start banging away. When they were done and after a few seconds another smaller rabbit would pop out of the female rabbit. If you killed one nothing happened but in one level you'd find a rabbit with a sign near it that said something like danger, killer rabbit. If you got near it it would fly at you and do serious damage. I'm not sure if you could kill it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Well it is a classic story!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

PantsBandit posted:

I started playing that Shadow Warrior from a couple years ago last night. That game rules. I found a couple of bunnies banging in the forest and discovered if you kill one of them the other one turns into a demon bunny and starts warping all over the place trying to eat your face while screamo metal plays in the background

I remember when that happened on my first playthrough, I was like:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Me trying to enjoy all of the new good games coming out

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Broseph Brostar posted:

Me trying to enjoy all of the new good games coming out

hell, same. June is going to break me with Mirror's Edge and NMS for console, plus good vita games in Odinsphere and Grand Kingdom. I'm just really happy I can play new games on the vita.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

MinibarMatchman posted:

hell, same. June is going to break me with Mirror's Edge and NMS for console, plus good vita games in Odinsphere and Grand Kingdom. I'm just really happy I can play new games on the vita.

Odin Sphere doesn't count as a new game.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

MinibarMatchman posted:

Yeah, summer and fall this year are going to be ruinous for me. Monster Hunter and Pokemon are both going to eat into basically all of my free time, which isn't going to help my massive PC backlog.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I could never get into Dragon's Crown but I loved loving Muramasa to pieces so I'm cautiously optimistic about the Odin Sphere remaster. It's rare to see a game studio basically say "yeah, we kinda hosed this up when we first released it, so here's a much better version with our superior combat engine." I'm not sure if it's something I necessarily support, since one would like to think that a game should be released in its ideal state, but it's interesting to see a studio willing to re-release a title with improvements not available at the time of its release.

It makes me think of what would happen if Nintendo remade Zelda 2 and utilized a newer engine and quality of life gameplay innovations to the same basic visual package.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I can't wait for Zero Time Dilemma

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
pokemon spoilers, maybe?

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

hubris.height posted:

pokemon spoilers, maybe?

persona 5 lookin weird

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Ahundredbux posted:

I'd hardly say it's a meltdown when people disagree about the perceived value of a product :rolleye:
Yeah, and when all we knew was "lots of planets", "indie" and "sixty bucks" I could understand the alarm. But they're so bad at getting the word out that's still the sum total of what a lot of people, maybe even the majority, know about the game.

It's not even really a dig on them, it's a really small company and obviously they can't go marketing blitz on this poo poo. But back when people were most interested they had the least amount nailed down and I think that cost them. Honestly they probably never should have revealed it until it was almost done and then let it blow people away, but that's a hard call to make, especially since they probably never did this before.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Back then people were hyped about potential. Now we are no longer hyped about reality.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

hubris.height posted:

pokemon spoilers, maybe?

jesus those look nightmarish.

speaking of nintendo, Yo-kai watch 2 comes out on september 2016. two versions of it.
http://www.polygon.com/2016/5/16/11682592/yo-kai-watch-2-launches-in-the-u-s-this-september

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CrashCat posted:

Yeah, and when all we knew was "lots of planets", "indie" and "sixty bucks" I could understand the alarm. But they're so bad at getting the word out that's still the sum total of what a lot of people, maybe even the majority, know about the game.

It's not even really a dig on them, it's a really small company and obviously they can't go marketing blitz on this poo poo. But back when people were most interested they had the least amount nailed down and I think that cost them. Honestly they probably never should have revealed it until it was almost done and then let it blow people away, but that's a hard call to make, especially since they probably never did this before.

It seems pretty likely that they wanted to release it last year but got delayed. And an extremely small team working on novel game mechanics like procedural generation is going to encounter some unforseen delays.

Sean Murray should never be allowed to speak in public ever again though. Hello Games needs to get somebody who knows how to loving TALK to just translate for him in the future.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CrashCat posted:

I think the bigger issue is that the lead clearly does not understand what people like about his game and keeps showing off the boring poo poo.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Dapper_Swindler posted:

jesus those look nightmarish.

speaking of nintendo, Yo-kai watch 2 comes out on september 2016. two versions of it.
http://www.polygon.com/2016/5/16/11682592/yo-kai-watch-2-launches-in-the-u-s-this-september

Why is Polygon breaking this news why can't it be an adorable Nintendo Direct

I want Bill Trinen to eat more donuts

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

I think the bigger issue is that the lead clearly does not understand what people like about his game and keeps showing off the boring poo poo.

Nah he does, he's just unbelievably bad at talking and explaining things. As a total dorky engineer myself I understand it, listening to John Carmack talk about games isn't really much different, but the thing is John Carmack never did PR work. They really need somebody else to talk to Sean and do the explaining to journalists / consumers for him, because he's loving awful.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I could never get into Dragon's Crown but I loved loving Muramasa to pieces so I'm cautiously optimistic about the Odin Sphere remaster. It's rare to see a game studio basically say "yeah, we kinda hosed this up when we first released it, so here's a much better version with our superior combat engine." I'm not sure if it's something I necessarily support, since one would like to think that a game should be released in its ideal state, but it's interesting to see a studio willing to re-release a title with improvements not available at the time of its release.

It's nothing that new, for instance MGS 3 Subsistence is vastly superior to the fixed camera-only release that Snake Eater had. That release without camera control is all but forgotten now, especially because Subsistence deployed not too long after the original MGS3. I do like that Vanillaware is coming back to their original baby and touching it up with better poo poo, though.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

hubris.height posted:

pokemon spoilers, maybe?

The seal is going to shove that ball up your rear end

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, I could see that. Though I can also imagine stupid news types going gaga just from him showing the big rear end galaxy and totally get why he wouldn't understand when that doesn't impress anymore.

At this point I'm more interested in seeing how the game is received than actually playing it, but I will still probably grab it if it looks good when people start streaming long stretches of gameplay.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Yokai Watch 2 looks a little too similar to its predecessors, and if it's out in September, with FF15 and then Pokemon just two months later, I worry that it's going to get overshadowed, particularly with two versions. It may not be popular, but I'd think they should push it back to either later December or early Spring. But I dunno, maybe it'll do fine.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

hubris.height posted:

pokemon spoilers, maybe?

Someone's DeviantArt, maybe? Who can tell when all context has been conveniently removed

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hello friends, how is everybody doing today?

I hope everyone is having a good day!

I think I will play some sacred gold, or maybe go back to sleep. I am tired all the time so I am always sleeping and when I;m not, I still feel tired :\ but at least I can do some fun stuff when I am awake like play games or listen to music!!

stay safe, friends

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I don't expect that new Homefront game to be very good, like there are no review copies and it's had a very odd development history, but apparently there are 2 playable Timesplitters 2 levels hidden in the city which hopefully means they're hinting at some sort of rerelease/remaster... Maybe even a sequel.

It probably won't sell very well either since there seems to be no hype or advertising for it even though it comes out tomorrow but I really hope it doesn't do so poorly that the Timesplitters dens get shuttered :smith:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lumpy the Cook posted:

but apparently there are 2 playable Timesplitters 2 levels hidden in the city

Gonna be really surprised if one of these isn't Chinese

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I don't expect that new Homefront game to be very good, like there are no review copies and it's had a very odd development history, but apparently there are 2 playable Timesplitters 2 levels hidden in the city which hopefully means they're hinting at some sort of rerelease/remaster... Maybe even a sequel.

It probably won't sell very well either since there seems to be no hype or advertising for it even though it comes out tomorrow but I really hope it doesn't do so poorly that the Timesplitters dens get shuttered :smith:

I was talking with my friend about Homefront last night and I was telling him there's a sequel coming out later this year and he wouldn't believe me and then I realized it's basically out. I have the feeling it's going to just be swallowed up by Doom 4.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Why is Polygon breaking this news why can't it be an adorable Nintendo Direct

I want Bill Trinen to eat more donuts

because nintendo is retarded about breaking news now a days. they arnt even having an e3 show this year.

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I preorderd it on psn a few months back because gently caress it. I sorta liked 1 in a weird way. and i like the changes they made with the reboot, plus i love far cry clones and alternate timeline stuff. I'll say what i think after i have played a bunch.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Maybe the new Homefront game will be as good as Freedom Fighters.

It's unlikely but I want to believe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

because nintendo is retarded about breaking news now a days. they arnt even having an e3 show this year.

Are they doing a Nintendo Direct thing again, or just flat nothin'?

• Locked thread