Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

She led the last major talks between leaders of Israel and Palestine and initiated the negotiations for the Iran deal -- both of which were ideas she supported.

I'm sorry not everyone is an unfeeling robot who would just shrug after something bad happened to them or their family based on the decisions of someone you support. people's experiences and feelings influence their decisions.

I would expect you to understand this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

She's also very openly a proponent of diplomatic engagement as the first option.

This reminds me of the whole "Hillary didn't vote to invade Iraq! Look at her speech about her vote on the AUMF. She totally thought we were going to be using diplomacy." As a not even particularly reluctant Hillary voter (went Sanders in primary for the quixotic reason of hoping it would help push her to the left, but have always planned to vote for her in the fall and don't particularly see Bernie as a good candidate) that argument really bothers me because it assumes she was really naive which I just don't buy.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Mr Hootington posted:

I'm sorry not everyone is an unfeeling robot who would just shrug after something bad happened to them or their family based on the decisions of someone you support. people's experiences and feelings influence their decisions.

I would expect you to understand this.

That doesn't entitle you to your own set of special facts though.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://theintercept.com/snowden-sidtoday/ intercept is beginning to release nine years of Signals Intelligence Directorate internal newsletters

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

College prep has a new dimension: Nashville high schools are partnering with local coffee chain Bongo Java to teach students how to be baristas and pay their way through college.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

AbsoluteLlama posted:

- Climate change. Neither Dems or Republicans take this seriously at all (at least Democrats acknowledge that it exists as a platform)

This comes across as a rather strange attempt at a "both sides are the same" stretch.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

It's the South, you shouldn't expect any better

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

The fact is Hillary was a strong supporter of a form of intervention in Libya. This is the only fact that matters to that particular voter because of how it turned their world upside down.

It is the same with people that do not like her because of trade deals. Nafta may have caused them to lose their "good" factory job and they have been floundering since. Their world was destroyed.

You can't make everyone happy or see your way. The best is to try and make things better for them as they fight against you.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Taerkar posted:

This comes across as a rather strange attempt at a "both sides are the same" stretch.

The "both parties are so bad" thing is such an annoying view. It is, the CNN Of Political Views.

Mr Hootington posted:

The fact is Hillary was a strong supporter of a form of intervention in Libya. This is the only fact that matters to that particular voter because of how it turned their world upside down.

It is the same with people that do not like her because of trade deals. Nafta may have caused them to lose their "good" factory job and they have been floundering since. Their world was destroyed.

You can't make everyone happy or see your way. The best is to try and make things better for them as they fight against you.

woosh

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

icantfindaname posted:

Oh, ok.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

AbsoluteLlama posted:

Not sure what's so bad about 'one issue'. What does that even mean?

Some of the top issues I care about :

- Bombing everybody (hyperbole I know, but we do bomb a lot of different people)
- Climate change. Neither Dems or Republicans take this seriously at all (at least Democrats acknowledge that it exists as a platform)
- Domestic financial policy. I think Bernie has really brought this to the forefront this election, which is good I guess.
- Single payer healthcare.

I also am not a member of any particular party because they're all awful. You'd think with those 3 things I'd be a green, but they also have crazy poo poo like:

- Ban use of GMO food 'until more research is done'.
- Single-payer healthcare.... for homeopathic medicine.
- Shut down all nuclear reactors immediately.

Any one of those positions makes me not interested in supporting that party. Is that single-issue?

These are big issues for you. Try and et involved in the local and state parties and push the agenda you think is right.

I can say from experience that it works. You can remove, change, or add good parts to the party platform or to get politicians to stay looking at the issue. Even better if you educate and inform your fellow voters.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Alright fess up. Which of you think Hillary will be prosecuted bu the FBI or whatecer. Come on let's hear it.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
There is no chance that Hillary goes down for the email thing. If the FBI were gunning for her, they'd have charged some subordinates by now and would have Huma in a hotbox trying to get her to roll on her boss.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

SSNeoman posted:

Alright fess up. Which of you think Hillary will be prosecuted bu the FBI or whatecer. Come on let's hear it.

The Email poo poo is just Benghazi 2.0, and Benghazi was just Whitewater 2.0, and :lol: people too dumb to realize that.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Keep in mind, both sides are bad are equating

"Hillary Clinton is obviously hiding something on her nefarious rogue email server"

With

"So remember in 1991 when you pretended to be your own publicist? *click*"

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

SSNeoman posted:

Where is scribe?

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

"Sorry your home got exploded by a robot, but if you did a quantitative analysis you'd understand that this is a good thing"

A Winner is Jew posted:

The Email poo poo is just Benghazi 2.0, and Benghazi was just Whitewater 2.0, and :lol: people too dumb to realize that.

The email thing is a problem but it's indicative of a total failure of netsec in the wider government that's been a problem since the internet existed, rather than a hillary problem, whereas whitewater and benghazi were completely manufactured.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Shbobdb posted:

Super nixonian, don't you agree? I'm excited for a raging technocrat to get weird with it.

Maybe one day she and Glen Beck will share a limo ride discussing Benjamin Rush or some poo poo.

I want you to know I got this joke, and it's a good one.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Refresh my memory, but did Jeb Bush actually say "[something], boy, I don't know" during the primaries because it came up in the West Wing and now I can't tell if I just hallucinated Jeb saying it IRL.

Perhaps Trump, talking about Gentle Ben and the 7th Day Adventists?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2015/10/25/donald-trump-no-apology-for-questioning-ben-carsons-seventh-day-adventist-faith/ posted:

"I'm Presbyterian, he said. "Boy, that's down the middle of the road, folks, in all fairness. I mean, Seventh-day Adventist, I don't know about. I just don't know about."

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Yeah. I definitely care about the E-mail scandal, but not because it makes me think Hillary is terrible and untrustworthy. It's because of how it reflects on the state of IT infrastructure and security within government offices.

But then again, I am actually passingly familiar with the technology involved and am good at looking at the broader implications of a small problem. Most people criticizing it aren't.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

There's a whole thread devoted to the topic over in YCS that definitely has a handful of people who really think that indictment is coming any day now.

Which is isn't. You can't tell me the FBI doesn't have a single Dem-leaning person in its upper echelons who doesn't want to see the country go down in flames to Donald J. Motherfucking Trump and isn't willing to make even the slightest anonymous tip to any politician that the FBI's going to do anything before the election, at the very, absolute least. Bureaucratic public institutions might not be political in the traditional sense, but they're made up of people with political convictions and usually some sense of civic duty.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Bushiz posted:

"Sorry your home got exploded by a robot, but if you did a quantitative analysis you'd understand that this is a good thing"

totally what i said

Combed Thunderclap posted:

There's a whole thread devoted to the topic over in YCS that definitely has a handful of people who really think that indictment is coming any day now.

Which is isn't. You can't tell me the FBI doesn't have a single Dem-leaning person in its upper echelons who doesn't want to see the country go down in flames to Donald J. Motherfucking Trump and isn't willing to make even the slightest anonymous tip to any politician that the FBI's going to do anything before the election, at the very, absolute least. Bureaucratic public institutions might not be political in the traditional sense, but they're made up of people with political convictions and usually some sense of civic duty.

The FBI doesn't have the power to indict. DOJ does.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Depends what you mean by "Democratic Causes". The democratic party of 10 years ago is not the democratic party of today.

Aren't you the guy who's seriously worried about declining white influence in America

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

The FBI doesn't have the power to indict. DOJ does.

Whoops, yes.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Gyges posted:

Second, and more as a Hail Mary, if that 3rd party actually somehow wins enough Electoral College votes the election gets thrown to the House. Then the House can save the Nation by installing the totally not a Republican 3rd party candidate. This is especially unlikely without Bernie running as well, but theoretically possible. Someone has to win a majority of the Electoral College, not a plurality, in order for the election to not be thrown to the House.

This is almost impossible in a 3 way race like this because it also requires the 3rd party candidate to take away enough Dem votes to make Clinton lose several states. Ross Perot got almost 19% of the vote in 1992 and Bill Clinton won with 370 EVs while only getting 43% of the total vote. Even if he'd only gotten 40% he would have still won the election. Also if you think a NeverTrump 3rd party candidate is going to be handed the White House and that the Trump-supporting House members won't sooner shed blood (or that the Dems wouldn't unanimously back Clinton) you're crazy. There isn't a single person the GOP could run as a 3rd party that wouldn't help the Dems far more than hurt them, while also likely risking multiple otherwise safe House seats and a lot of toss up ones.

There is no path to victory for the GOP in a 3rd party race. It will likely shatter the party if they actually try it. At the least it would take a flip of the senate from possible to very likely.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Dan Patrick really is a vile piece of poo poo.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

the sports talk guy? what did he do

oh lt. gov dan patrick, yeah

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 16, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Rafza posted:

the sports talk guy? what did he do

Nah it is the Texas junior governor or whatever. Does more have to be said past "Texas"?

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Mr Hootington posted:

Nah it is the Texas junior governor or whatever. Does more have to be said past "Texas"?

in my defense, i'm reading like seven threads right now and someone in my office is listening to sportsguy dan patrick

the texas lt gov dan patrick is a moron

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Rafza posted:

the texas lt gov dan patrick is a moron

:v:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Haha isn't that minority majority state just filled with idiots amirite!

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm a minority in this state and yes, it is.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

:regd08:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Bushiz posted:

The email thing is a problem but it's indicative of a total failure of netsec in the wider government that's been a problem since the internet existed, rather than a hillary problem, whereas whitewater and benghazi were completely manufactured.

:agreed:

The "completely manufactured" stuff re: the email thing is because the horrific state of USGOV IT security is somehow all her fault.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Evil Fluffy posted:

This is almost impossible in a 3 way race like this because it also requires the 3rd party candidate to take away enough Dem votes to make Clinton lose several states. Ross Perot got almost 19% of the vote in 1992 and Bill Clinton won with 370 EVs while only getting 43% of the total vote. Even if he'd only gotten 40% he would have still won the election. Also if you think a NeverTrump 3rd party candidate is going to be handed the White House and that the Trump-supporting House members won't sooner shed blood (or that the Dems wouldn't unanimously back Clinton) you're crazy. There isn't a single person the GOP could run as a 3rd party that wouldn't help the Dems far more than hurt them, while also likely risking multiple otherwise safe House seats and a lot of toss up ones.

There is no path to victory for the GOP in a 3rd party race. It will likely shatter the party if they actually try it. At the least it would take a flip of the senate from possible to very likely.

Very true, but then you aren't sure that the country hates Hillary and that damned Trump is loving this all up.

If Trump actually does have people staying home because they can't vote for him and they can't vote for Hillary, a 3rd party GOP candidate probably helps the down ticket though. Everyone voting for them is voting otherwise straight Republican.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Zeroisanumber posted:

There is no chance that Hillary goes down for the email thing. If the FBI were gunning for her, they'd have charged some subordinates by now and would have Huma in a hotbox trying to get her to roll on her boss.

Great username/post combo here. Also I happen to agree.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

icantfindaname posted:

It's a KIPP school, so they're just leveraging unique synergy opportunities for the local marketplace.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

:yeah:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

AbsoluteLlama posted:

- Single payer healthcare.

Please elaborate on why you wouldn't accept German/Swiss/Swedish/many others etc multi-payer UHC instead, which gets the same results or often better ones, for comparable costs to the public.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

AbsoluteLlama posted:

A lot of issues, but mainly I'd like to a party have a strong stance against endless wars. Hillary certainly isn't getting my vote. My partner is from Libya and we had the recent 'joy' of watching her reckless policies completely destroy the country so it'll take a lot to convince me.

The strongest argument for bombing Libya was that Gaddafi was close to winning the civil war, and his public vows to go door to door exterminating people looked like an impending genocide. Maybe that reading of the situation was inaccurate, and for better or worse we'll never know for sure what would have happened without international intervention. But if there's ever a valid argument for the use of military force, halting an impending genocide is it. Standing by and allowing civilians to be systematically executed by the thousands is not peace.

The Democratic party has already taken a strong stance against "endless wars", and its been carried out by the Obama administration. Throughout the entirety of his administration, Obama has consistently worked to deescalate conflicts, strengthen international cooperation, and has generally been pretty dang successful at it. When he fails, its almost always due to factors outside the administration's control (ex: Putin, ISIS/Syria). When all else fails and military force is used, the administration consistently looks to build international coalitions & consensus, and employs the minimum amount of military force possible. Hillary was a major part of that administration, and her campaign is largely based off continuing it's policies. Sanders is a party outsider, and even he doesn't want to be perceived as running against the Obama administration.

Any Democratic president who gets the nation involved in another bloody occupation is going to be seen as a failure, and rejected by the party. There is simply no room in the modern Democratic party for the sort of military adventurism we saw in the Bush years. They are not, however, isolationists. If you're anti-war, that can be a very good thing. The best example of this is the Iran deal, which is far preferable to both an ill conceived invasion (chicken-hawk republicans) or running the risk of Iran sparking a new nuclear arms race (mind-your-own-business isolationism).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I haven't seen any liberal being dismissive of Trump's chances to the point of saying not to worry about it though, where's that article even coming from?

• Locked thread