Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I know I've said this many times before, but Jesus Christ I loving hate Brooke's whole thing about how the slightest suggestion of the existence of a woman's butt causes the menfolk to turn into speechless drooling idiots or get boners so fierce they have to remain seated for hours.

He's just writing what he knows: himself, and no one else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze does one of those nerd mashups the kids love so much.

YOU loving HACK, IT'S ALREADY BEEN DONE YOU SHITHEEL.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Evil Mastermind posted:

Well, I guess I'm not a geek, then.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

What does it make me if Working Daze promotes an even greater sense of nausea than Brooke works?

SomeMathGuy posted:

He's just writing what he knows: himself, and no one else.
His sense of humor is certainly lofty. Boners and butt jokes! My, what a man of the world.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm pretty sure this dude has only heard of like three sci-fi franchises.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Kilo147 posted:

Why is this a TNG comic with the TOS cast on the cover?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Shai-Hulud posted:

Why is this a TNG comic with the TOS cast on the cover?

Because most of the comic is the TNG crew and the 11th Doctor, but one issue flashes back to the 4th Doctor meeting the TOS crew.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Who watches baseball anymore, anyway?

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Wanamingo posted:

Who watches baseball anymore, anyway?

Arlo and Janis

Welp, apparently Arlo does. Or at least enjoys poetry about it, I'm not sure which is worse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball%27s_Sad_Lexicon

quote:

The poem is presented as a single, rueful stanza from the point of view of a New York Giants fan watching the Chicago Cubs infield of shortstop Joe Tinker, second baseman Johnny Evers, and first baseman Frank Chance complete a double play.

(I had never heard that line either, Janis, and I'm still not sure how it applies to pouring a cup of coffee.)

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

JacquelineDempsey posted:

(I had never heard that line either, Janis, and I'm still not sure how it applies to pouring a cup of coffee.)

Well that part is obvious, it's just something he says whenever he gets his wife coffee in the morning.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Welp, apparently Arlo does. Or at least enjoys poetry about it, I'm not sure which is worse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball%27s_Sad_Lexicon

If I recall correctly, Tinker to Evers to Chance was a way of saying that somebody had just done something with perfect timing. So it's not just the pouring of the coffee, it's that Arlo poured it at exactly the right moment, and Janis came into the room to receive it the moment he was ready to hand it to her.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Any day that ends with a FPA reference and a Bloom County Sunday strip isn't a total loss.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

The Amazing Spider-Man

It may be worth clicking to see the full size version today. Nightmare looks like a bulldog clown!

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Prince Valiant

Phantom Classic

Big Ben Bolt

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Gil

Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

Last time they tried that, Rocky ended up with a burned steak and a factory bill.

Heaven's Love Thrift Shop

9 Chickweed Lane is a repeat.

Looks like Amos is 3 inches short of Edda's 4 inch minimum.

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Outland

Ripley's

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

Aardmania posted:

Dick Tracy

Talk about an old reference, I haven't heard a reference to the land shark in years (but still a great skit).

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Moomin

Classic Dilbert

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I didn't know that about Doohan. His right middle finger was amputated but he kept it hidden from cameras during his acting career. Looking at Scotty now it's funny how his right hand is obscured by something in every shot.

:perfect:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I love you.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Nenonen posted:

I didn't know that about Doohan. His right middle finger was amputated but he kept it hidden from cameras during his acting career. Looking at Scotty now it's funny how his right hand is obscured by something in every shot.

From interviews with him, that wasn't his choice. Doohan thought it wouldn't be a big deal for a veteran engineer to be missing a finger, but Gene Roddenberry had his own ideals about his perfect utopian future where flaws weren't allowed. They even shot close-ups of his left hand and flipped them so it would look like he was using his right.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Nipponophile posted:

From interviews with him, that wasn't his choice. Doohan thought it wouldn't be a big deal for a veteran engineer to be missing a finger, but Gene Roddenberry had his own ideals about his perfect utopian future where flaws weren't allowed. They even shot close-ups of his left hand and flipped them so it would look like he was using his right.

They should have cast him as Dr. Spocky, a half Vulcan, half Scottish scientist. His hand would have been perfect for the Vulcan greeting.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Kilo147 posted:

It looks like Baker is shooting his scarf from his hand like Spider-man.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Aardmania posted:

Heaven's Love Thrift Shop

:unsmith:

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Congratulations Reddick on not drawing a single person in three panels. We look forward to this arc of nobodies recapping what the main characters have been doing.

Take It From the Tinkersons

Viivi & Wagner

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (March 18, 1929)

Peanuts (May 19, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

Cancershaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (April 10-11, 1929)

Thimble Theater (December 3, 1929)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Pickles

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Wallace the Brave

Dadding Badly

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He is threatening to kill the obviously sentient dogbot. Assuming it would even be affected by the magnets.

I mean, it's a robot that runs and jumps about a lot, why would it have magnetic memory? The platters would be scratched to hell, must be SSD storage.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (April 23, 1951)

Barnaby (September 28, 1942)

Nancy (June 7, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (February 18, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (March 19, 1923)

Lil' Abner (November 2, 1936)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

treasureplane posted:

Nancy (June 7, 1943)

... at least he's speaking in actual English and not no-tickee-no-shirtee dialect. That's pretty darn enlightened for 1943.

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Edge of Literary References

Oh, and Gilchrist may not have done his Prince tribute strip yet, but here comes the inevitable Candorville dream train sequence...

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Selachian posted:

Edge of Literary References

"I'm getting up, even though I am clearly at least sitting up already."

"I have to say that you look disheveled because the artist didn't draw you that way. Also I assume that you look disheveled because of something specific, not because you just woke up."

Seriously, every line of dialog feels like it should have "fellow human" at the end of it.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Selachian posted:

... at least he's speaking in actual English and not no-tickee-no-shirtee dialect. That's pretty darn enlightened for 1943.
I really can't shake the feeling that the reason we're not seeing the usual excesses is because it's 1943 and Floy Floy is meant to be Chinese, rather than Japanese, and is therefore "one of the good ones" or whatever.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Somebody call Steve Carell to deliver these Loud Noises Comix!

There's probably a good reason they're not using the term 'pungee sticks.' I bet it turns out that it's really racist.

Ballard Street

Weird, usually cartoon sneezes propel the character backwards, not forward.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

Oh no! Peers!

Rex Morgan MD

*may not apply to the non-wealthy

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

Ugh.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I think it's one of those empire words of standard "I say! Boy! What's the name of this sharpened bamboo trap that Wilkins has got his leg stuck in?" etymology.

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

Am I the only one that's really bothered by this bullshit arc in Crankshaft right now? I don't really know how to put it into words but every single thing about it is making me really angry. Like, moreso than it normally would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

I can honestly say that, no, you haven't.

Ever.

• Locked thread