Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Kwyndig posted:

Why the hell would you do that instead of shipping to LA in bulk to a fulfillment company?

I assume because they don't want their game to sell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Gravy Train Robber posted:

It (the board game) doesn't look terribly interesting but I will say Plague Inc is a fantastic mobile game that dominated a lot of my train commutes the last few years.

Ha, I see that the Plague Inc. app was made by "Ndemic Creations". So sleazy.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm pretty impressed with the re-launch of Victory Point Games's Darkest Night 2nd Edition. Really good example of how and when to listen to your customers.

The first campaign had minis as the default option and they broke content out into multiple expansions you could add on. This also forced minis for the expansion heroes into stretch goals. They got a lot of criticism, since a lot of their customer base likes the standees in the first edition. I know the minis were a turnoff for me. It also jacked the price of the complete set way up (with a chance of having a mix of minis and standees for characters) and added a bunch of combinations to the pledge levels. This didn't help much on the weak reception.

The new one has everything consolidated into one box, with standees as the default with optional minis. Price came down, too, since it's two fewer boxes to design and produce, apparently. The new stretch goals are game content and an organizer, not minis. I wasn't going to back the previous one, now I'm pretty sure I'm in for the base level, at least.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 12, 2016

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Echophonic posted:

I'm pretty impressed with the re-launch of Victory Point Games's Darkest Night 2nd Edition. Really good example of how and when to listen to your customers.

The first campaign had minis as the default option and they broke content out into multiple expansions you could add on. This also forced minis for the expansion heroes into stretch goals. They got a lot of criticism, since a lot of their customer base likes the standees in the first edition. I know the minis were a turnoff for me. It also jacked the price of the complete set way up (with a chance of having a mix of minis and standees for characters) and added a bunch of combinations to the pledge levels. This didn't help much on the weak reception.

The new one has everything consolidated into one box, with standees as the default with optional minis. Price came down, too, since it's two fewer boxes to design and produce, apparently. The new stretch goals are game content and an organizer, not minis. I wasn't going to back the previous one, now I'm pretty sure I'm in for the base level, at least.

Can somebody speak to what the game is actually like? $109 for the bare minimum is . . . that's a lot for one game.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
It's a co-op euro adventure game. You're a group of adventurers trying to defeat the Necromancer, who is blighting the kingdom. You're trying to get relics to defeat him, either in combat or via purifying the kingdom. You move from place to place, attack blights to keep from being overrun, search locations for gear and clues, clear quests to keep things from getting worse and get resources, and solve mysteries to get clues for the relics. All the while, you're enduring events and trying to evade the Necromancer, who is constantly moving and applying new blights.

The expansions added new mechanics, like the above quests and mysteries, along with new heroes and blights. Seems like all of that stuff is included in the second edition.

Each adventurer has a unique skill deck, starting with several from a small pool of that. You get more as you go via searching, too. They all have different specialities and it's a pretty broad variety.

The first edition is a really tight balancing act and has a good sense of momentum. It's pretty tough, too. Seems like there's a bit more variety in setup with the new organization of the map cards.

The major criticism I have of the game is that it's pretty dice heavy. You're rolling d6s to attack, search, resolve some events and mysteries. Figuring out ways to mitigate the randomness is part of the puzzle, so it's not too offensive.

I mean, I'm a big fan of the first edition, so I'm a bit biased. Everyone I've introduced it to had liked it, though, and VPG is a legit company.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

homullus posted:

Can somebody speak to what the game is actually like? $109 for the bare minimum is . . . that's a lot for one game.

It is, but that's the game plus five expansions and then some of content. If you've never bought into Darkest Night before it's like...probably at least $50-70 cheaper than a complete first edition set assuming everything were still in print.

It's one of my favorite coop games ever and I would highly recommend it. The guerilla campaign style of fighting the Necromancer is extremely unique and smartly designed; as is the way every one of the 29 different playable characters draws on their own special deck of skills (which means they both play very differently from the other characters and will play differently between sessions). I think it might have gotten old with just the base set, but every expansion after that expanded some aspect of the game:
Quests, which force you to split your attention between the relic hunt that's your main path to victory and working on the quest since letting them elapse is generally bad but finishing them can be quite rewarding.
Darkness Powers, which mean that the Necromancer, instead of getting very prosaic bonuses at certain points on the Darkness Track (a timer of sorts) draws from a substantial pool of very nasty abilities.
Mysteries, which replace finding keys to open the Relic chests with a more flavorful investigative process.
Etc.

All of that should be in this edition and they're promising another 40 brand new cards at funding and some other goodies as stretch goals.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I really, really loved A Touch of Evil, and I'm wondering how this game compares to it. I can't get enough of co-op games.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I really, really loved A Touch of Evil, and I'm wondering how this game compares to it. I can't get enough of co-op games.

I disliked A Touch of Evil fairly strongly the one time I played it (though the circumstances were far from ideal), so I'd say Darkest Night is leaps and bounds better. But that's probably not very helpful. :P

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Echophonic posted:

I mean, I'm a big fan of the first edition, so I'm a bit biased. Everyone I've introduced it to had liked it, though, and VPG is a legit company.

Speaking as one of the people Echo introduced it to, yeah, it's fun. It sort of reminds me of Eldritch Horror? But a lot more lightweight and with a bit of a Castlevania 3 flavor, to the point that I'm happy to play it when it gets brought out, whereas I've sworn off Eldritch Horror for good.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Thats pretty interesting about the comparison to Eldritch Horror. Years ago, my friends and I were all-in on Arkham Horror with all its terrible madness inducing gameplay, and ended up dropping it for A Touch of Evil because it hit a lot of what we wanted out of the game (co-op, lots of randomness leading to weird stories, and an implicit assumption that you were going to win at some point rather than some games of AH we had where it took longer to set up the game than to play and lose). It was also corny and had the same sort of community-theater appeal that Last Night on Earth did. It was faster, cleaner, and generally more fun and we never touched AH again. At the height of my love for the game I was running some terrible PbP games here also.

I haven't really had a chance to play board games as much as I used to, but I might have to take a closer look at this since it seems right up my alley.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

I personally think DN is way better at generating a coherent "Party of heroes travels the land to stop DraculaThe Necromancer" story than EH, which I always felt ended up being just a string of disconnected Generic Lovecraft Events.
DN does have die rolls, so you can end up getting knocked down even for making good choices, but the lighter weight makes it a lot less frustrating for me.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Anachrony just announced a solo mode stretch goal, which leaves me wondering who the hell keeps demanding these solo modes?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

GrandpaPants posted:

Anachrony just announced a solo mode stretch goal, which leaves me wondering who the hell keeps demanding these solo modes?

They're very vocal, whoever they are. Playing solo can be nice sometimes but it's almost like some people think all board games should be 1-X players.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

GrandpaPants posted:

(meekly raises hand)
It's like playing a video game, but you get that tactile nature of pushing plastic and cardboard around. Check out Ricky Royal on YouTube to see some great runthroughs of Mage Knight, Robinson Crusoe and other soloable games.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I played XCOM solo a few weeks ago and it was exhausting.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

There's a large solo games/variants segment and contingent on BGG, my one friend reads it at work and plays most of his ridiculous fantasy games solo.

Which is good, because I ain't doing six hours of darknessquest mage myth of dungeonkeep every week.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm a big fan of solo games, they're basically a puzzle that you solve with game components instead of a pen.

It's weird that they still have that "What lonely loser plays these?" stigma.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I am really torn about the Dark Souls kickstarter. I really like Guild Ball, but I don't know that a Dark Souls board game is really something I would ever actually play. However, getting almost 90 models for the price isn't too bad.

Did they ever say what scale they are in, or what material they would be made out of? I can imagine making some neat looking Frostgrave gangs with them if nothing else.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I am really torn about the Dark Souls kickstarter. I really like Guild Ball, but I don't know that a Dark Souls board game is really something I would ever actually play. However, getting almost 90 models for the price isn't too bad.

Did they ever say what scale they are in, or what material they would be made out of? I can imagine making some neat looking Frostgrave gangs with them if nothing else.

The human ones are 32mm heroic scale, material is pvc cast in china

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I'm just worried about putting so much money out there and getting hosed if this all goes south or ends up taking years after the expected date to come out due to the approval process. I'm a big Dark Souls fan and what gameplay they've shown is pretty interesting to me, but it's frustrating that they don't have renders for most of their models and are still so early regarding the finalized rules. It's not a scam (I think), but it feels a bit sloppy.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

JazzFlight posted:

I'm just worried about putting so much money out there and getting hosed if this all goes south or ends up taking years after the expected date to come out due to the approval process. I'm a big Dark Souls fan and what gameplay they've shown is pretty interesting to me, but it's frustrating that they don't have renders for most of their models and are still so early regarding the finalized rules. It's not a scam (I think), but it feels a bit sloppy.

Yeah, I guess I'm taking a lot on faith after Guildball. They have the infrastructure and knowledge to deliver quality models and rules, but I share your concerns in that this is going to be 3.5 million dollars of kickstarting funds + whatever the retail tail is, and that's a big pill to swallow given Guildball as a 100k. This is an order of magnitude bigger.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Yeah, I guess I'm taking a lot on faith after Guildball. They have the infrastructure and knowledge to deliver quality models and rules, but I share your concerns in that this is going to be 3.5 million dollars of kickstarting funds + whatever the retail tail is, and that's a big pill to swallow given Guildball as a 100k. This is an order of magnitude bigger.

I'm just the opposite, it took SO LONG for Guildball to be available in 99% of the US. Even the guy at the game store said he didn't care if we were buying it online or at other places because all his distributors weren't able to get most of the line until this February. Also while the game is fun and the minis are for the most part pretty slick, I think what you pay vs. what you get is pretty steep for some of the big guy models. I know it ended up being like ~85 bucks with shipping when I first got stuff from them for a starter team plus two figures which is pretty loving steep even compared to games like WM/H or Malifaux where you at least get some bigger savings on the starter (I think with GB it saves you like 3 bucks or something but I don't really remember).

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I'm just the opposite, it took SO LONG for Guildball to be available in 99% of the US. Even the guy at the game store said he didn't care if we were buying it online or at other places because all his distributors weren't able to get most of the line until this February. Also while the game is fun and the minis are for the most part pretty slick, I think what you pay vs. what you get is pretty steep for some of the big guy models. I know it ended up being like ~85 bucks with shipping when I first got stuff from them for a starter team plus two figures which is pretty loving steep even compared to games like WM/H or Malifaux where you at least get some bigger savings on the starter (I think with GB it saves you like 3 bucks or something but I don't really remember).

Yeah a key difference here is my fallback with the minis is just use them for rpgs. The box looks like OK value on that basis, but the addons! The pricing on 'big guys' - £28? Ouch.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I've been having second thoughts about it, but Deal Souls looks like exactly the kind of game I like most.

Guildball is prohibitively expensive at retail. For instance, the tiny animals are $11 figures, and some of the starters are $85. There's no way I'd put that kind money into anything at retail, but the KS price seems like a reasonable deal.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm the nerd that thinks solo mode is a big plus point. If nothing else it's a good way to learn the rules to teach others quicker.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Vitamin P posted:

I'm the nerd that thinks solo mode is a big plus point. If nothing else it's a good way to learn the rules to teach others quicker.

This. Also it's impossible for me to get mage knight (for example) to the table now, every friend I have who enjoys it either has a baby on the way or already born, so the odds of us completing a game is pretty much nil. Being able to play it on my own is a huge plus, and I enjoy the puzzle aspect of it. Also more players drastically increases the play time in my experience so far. I'm also digging LotR LCG solo play for similar reasons, even if overall it's much quicker & simpler.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Goodman games is running a Kickstarter for a new Age of Cthulhu adventure. It looks cool but the stretch goals aren't worth it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1409961192/age-of-cthulhu-9-the-lost-expedition/description

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Outer Edge

quote:

How is Outer Edge Different?

Outer Edge is a game about mercenaries not heroes, not galactic defenders, and not super soldiers. Players build characters that are ordinary people, with rather ordinary abilities within the setting. This means players cannot and should not expect to take on trained police or military personnel and survive. And getting shot more often then not results in death, or at the very least a hospital trip.

It also features a classless character creation system without a point system. Characters take minutes to build and equip, but are more varied and specialized than other settings allow. With over 100 abilities and 80 traits the types of characters that can be built are nearly endless.

The game uses a d20 system with highly simplified rules which make it quick to learn, and play. Combat in other systems can last hours even several sessions, but combat between 20 plus combatants takes only an hour or so in Outer Edge. Most combats lasting only 30 minutes or so.

We also have hundreds of weapons, items, and armors to chose from, and if you can not find what you are looking for in our items lists the Rule of Amazon has you covered. This new and unique rule allows you to buy anything in game that can be found on Amazon.com for the price that it is listed.
I honestly cannot think of an RPG where combat would last "several sessions", outside of maybe a weirdly optimized 3.Path high-level game.

Also holy poo poo "the Rule of Amazon". I can't even be mad at that. :allears:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
So on the one hand everyone in this game seems to be some sort of mercenary criminal with big guns, but on the other hand it's a game about ordinary people that shouldn't expect to be able to take on police or soldiers soooooo what are you supposed to be using those guns for again?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

So on the one hand everyone in this game seems to be some sort of mercenary criminal with big guns, but on the other hand it's a game about ordinary people that shouldn't expect to be able to take on police or soldiers soooooo what are you supposed to be using those guns for again?
Oh, they've got that covered.

quote:

The game takes place over 20 missions, each mission giving players a new challenge, and new rewards, Their characters advance a level with each completed mission. Campaigns will be produced by Infinite Odyssey, one every year, which will take players to a new world, to face new challenges.

I found the beta; this is a straight-up d20 heartbreaker, right down to the renamed D&D stats, granular skill list, and useless featstraits.

quote:

Scuba Certified - +2 to swim checks made in an ocean.

River Folk - +2 to swim checks made in rivers.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Fantastic, I can't wait.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Evil Mastermind posted:

I found the beta; this is a straight-up d20 heartbreaker, right down to the renamed D&D stats, granular skill list, and useless featstraits.

I want a trait that gives me +2 for swim checks made in a pool

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

quote:

Outer Edge is a game about mercenaries not heroes, not galactic defenders, and not super soldiers. Players build characters that are ordinary people, with rather ordinary abilities within the setting. This means players cannot and should not expect to take on trained police or military personnel and survive. And getting shot more often then not results in death, or at the very least a hospital trip.

Say no more, I'm sold!

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Evil Mastermind posted:

What about seas!?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
The lack of lakes support is shameful. And the anti-rural bias in having no traits for cricks and hollers is blatant.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I wouldn't mind traits like that if they were all useless like that and you got to pick like three for flavor. It's when you do 'trap' traits/feats/cronks/whatever that makes me super mad at people writing games.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

unseenlibrarian posted:

The lack of lakes support is shameful. And the anti-rural bias in having no traits for cricks and hollers is blatant.

Perhaps a comprehensive body of water trait book can be a stretch goal. Backing now to help make this a reality.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I want a trait that gives me +2 for swim checks made in a pool

Water Baby: Gain +2 to Swim checks while in a pool, +4 if your character is under 4 years of age.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

I wouldn't mind traits like that if they were all useless like that and you got to pick like three for flavor. It's when you do 'trap' traits/feats/cronks/whatever that makes me super mad at people writing games.
A quick skim of the list makes it look like it's almost all trap options. They're almost all either "you get +2 to this skill under this really narrow circumstance, most of which would probably never come up in a real session" or "you get +2 under this really common situation" stuff.

quote:

Deep Meditation - +3 to concentration checks to avoid being disturbed while meditating.

Swift Hands - once per day you can take 10 on a disable device check as a full round action.

Street Racer - +2 to drive checks made on paved roads.

Escape from Savages - +2 to escape rolls made against ropes and vines.

Circus Trainer - +2 to teach domesticated animals tricks.

Familiar Horizon - +2 to knowledge (astrophysics) checks made to identify worlds you have been on.

Past Life - +2 to profession checks made in any specific profession your character has taken.

Farm Hand - +4 to repair checks made on farming equipment, -2 to knowledge (culture) checks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Hahaha what the gently caress, a bonus to identifying places you've already been? "poo poo, what was the name of this place again, it's on the tip of my tongue..."

I can't decide which is better, that or the bonus to repairing combine harvesters.

• Locked thread