Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
In retrospect, the Lost in Space movie was strangely prescient of Hickman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Pirate Jet posted:

I really, really hope Fant4stic gets the Richard Donner Cut treatment some day.

I don't think footage exist to make that possible.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

TheFallenEvincar posted:

My favorite Fantastic Four were in Planetary
too bad adapting that series into anything on screen would probably be impossible

Planetary is even more topical now since the superhero poo poo is dominating movies, not just comics. Good luck making non-nerds care about the pulp sci-fi legacy though hahaha.
Someone should just adapt Marshal Law or The Boys already, bring on some dead capes.

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 10:19 on May 16, 2016

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Seth Rogen is adapting The Boys for TV.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

CityMidnightJunky posted:

As someone who doesn't really read comics, what IS the correct tone for a Fantastic Four movie?

Any of the Fasts & Furious 5 - 7, except with space ships and Ludacris' character is the lead. It's very simple.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

The MSJ posted:

I hope the Preacher turns out to be alright, all the advance reviews have been incredibly positive

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I seriously can't stop laughing at this part from this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW4M_kVFD3Q

Like, what could have lead to that quote? I'm assuming Gambit is involved, but other than that...

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The bad: the front half drags a bit, the plot point where the Feds make a deal with Jigsaw didn't quite ring true to the film's interior logic, the score wasn't great and the side plot with the dead Fed agent's family either needed to be punched up or pulled back. My main problem (and I guess a major factor in the general audience's reaction to the film) was the I just didn't buy Ray Stevenson as The Punisher. He just looked and emoted way too much like a slightly annoyed middleaged Dad rather than a guy who'd been obsessively hunting down and murdering gangsters for five years.

Funny, I like Ray the best out of all the Punishers that have been cast.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

thrawn527 posted:

I seriously can't stop laughing at this part from this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW4M_kVFD3Q

Like, what could have lead to that quote? I'm assuming Gambit is involved, but other than that...

Here's the episode, the quote comes at about 13:30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9VeFQOP048

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Here's the episode, the quote comes at about 13:30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9VeFQOP048

God drat, that was a weird show.

Like, I vaguely remember watching it...but I didn't remember that.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Davros1 posted:

Funny, I like Ray the best out of all the Punishers that have been cast.

It figures, you not only like the worst Dr Who but also the worst Punisher :v:

Actual screenshot from the movie:

Also I just realised I meant to type "internal logic" in the earlier post and not "interior logic" which doesn't make any loving sense unless you're talking about Kubrick's The Shining.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Also I just realised I meant to type "internal logic" in the earlier post and not "interior logic" which doesn't make any loving sense unless you're talking about Kubrick's The Shining.

It always looked to me like they made a fake hallway to make Danny look huge but it is probably just the weird low angle they filmed it at. Anyway that is a great shot.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Shane Black confirmed that he originally wrote the villain in IRON MAN 3 as a woman, and Marvel came back and said it won't sell toys so he'll have to change it (He also stresses multiple times that it came from above Kevin Feige).

He also stated that Marvel specifically made their one-shot about the real Mandarin being out there because they got a lot of complaints about how they treated that character, proving that people will complain about anything.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Mandarin was a wonderful villain, although it is kinda funny that fans apparently got mad at one of the only good jokes in any of these movies.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

The MSJ posted:

This is a case where I'm hoping the process of adaptation breaks it the gently caress down since I thought The Boys was super lame try hard garbage like 99% of Ennis material. I hope Rogen makes it nigh unrecognizable

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

DrVenkman posted:

Shane Black confirmed that he originally wrote the villain in IRON MAN 3 as a woman, and Marvel came back and said it won't sell toys so he'll have to change it (He also stresses multiple times that it came from above Kevin Feige).

He also stated that Marvel specifically made their one-shot about the real Mandarin being out there because they got a lot of complaints about how they treated that character, proving that people will complain about anything.

This is what happens when you listen to the vocal minority of hardcore loving loser nerds.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

This is what happens when you listen to the vocal minority of hardcore loving loser nerds.

That apparent vocal minority has the strenght to make or break your movie by creating a lot of noise as word of mouth.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
And people say democracy doesn't work!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Honest Thief posted:

That apparent vocal minority has the strenght to make or break your movie by creating a lot of noise as word of mouth.

When you have idiots like Devin Faraci spouting bullshit and it catching it really highlights a problem with things.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

When you have idiots like Devin Faraci spouting bullshit and it catching it really highlights a problem with things.
on the plus side it's only a matter of time before most of these people are claimed by heart disease or vr technology
The future is Snyder's

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
People tend to turn to their nerd friend for superhero recomendations, and pc hardware questions. And in case of doubt, just spout something you read on twitter, you wouldn't want to look like you don't have an oppinion what would your worth be then? Friendship? ehl oh ehl

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Honest Thief posted:

On the other hand I don't think that True True Mandarin DVD short came out until after Iron Man 3 had made a billion dollars and change

But like, who knows what kind of long game they're playing and what kind of calculations they've made as a result of it

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Honest Thief posted:

People tend to turn to their nerd friend for superhero recomendations,

I mean, maybe 10 years ago, but not now.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Jenny Angel posted:

On the other hand I don't think that True True Mandarin DVD short came out until after Iron Man 3 had made a billion dollars and change

But like, who knows what kind of long game they're playing and what kind of calculations they've made as a result of it

I was about to point this out. Since then no movie with Tony Stark has dipped below a billion (Civil War will pass it this week almost certainly). It's just more typical nerd self-importance: "if they don't listen to us we'll tank their next movie!"

The Mandarin was also the most interesting Marvel villain until Zemo so just jesus christ.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Guy A. Person posted:

The Mandarin was also the most interesting Marvel villain until Zemo so just jesus christ.

Kingsley does this kind of crap in his sleep and he was a delight.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Kingsley does this kind of crap in his sleep

"Did...did he just nod off!?"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
It's unlikely they'll ever revisit the Mandarin either so the story was probably "oh hey, Ben Kingsley is free for an afternoon, let's make a 10 minute video".

Electromax
May 6, 2007
So they expected people to buy action figures of Guy Pearce and Ben Kingsley from that movie? They couldn't have put a female in the completely made-up "final mandarin tank battle" lego set?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Honest Thief posted:

When was the last time this happened? Hell, when was the first time?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Electromax posted:

So they expected people to buy action figures of Guy Pearce and Ben Kingsley from that movie? They couldn't have put a female in the completely made-up "final mandarin tank battle" lego set?

The Lego 'Malibu Mansion Attack' boxed set had a Pepper Potts minifig, she's even wearing the Iron Man armour on the front of the box while Tony is getting his rear end kicked:

McSpanky posted:

BvS, when it had a massive drop off immediately after the opening weekend?

Electromax
May 6, 2007

The Lego 'Malibu Mansion Attack' boxed set had a Pepper Potts minifig, she's even wearing the Iron Man armour on the front of the box while Tony is getting his rear end kicked:

I just meant the argument that the IM3 villain couldn't be a woman because people wouldn't buy action figures, when they didn't even create male characters conducive to action figures in the first place. It was just a Guy in a business suit and essentially a stoner in a robe.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

computer parts posted:

Avengers aside, no superhero has an established brand that the public trusts like it does Star Wars. Every other superhero film has lived or died on advanced hype and word of mouth from fans of the characters.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

BvS, when it had a massive drop off immediately after the opening weekend?

It wasn't just a minority creating bad word of mouth for Batman v Superman.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
If people are wondering about representation in Lego playsets here's a list. Out of 89 Marvel characters (many of which are multiples of the same character) there were only 10 female characters. Out of 76 DC characters there were only 9 female characters.

Sir Kodiak posted:

It wasn't just a minority creating bad word of mouth for Batman v Superman.

True, I misread.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 16, 2016

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Electromax posted:

I just meant the argument that the IM3 villain couldn't be a woman because people wouldn't buy action figures, when they didn't even create male characters conducive to action figures in the first place. It was just a Guy in a business suit and essentially a stoner in a robe.

A Guy who could breathe fire tho! It's a shame I can't find the scene on YouTube right now, Rhodey's response to that was hilarious.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Electromax posted:

Its because the argument is bad and they are just sexist

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
The interview with Black was pretty good, and it sounds like maybe Rebecca Hall's character would've been the villain:

quote:

Why? Rebecca Hall’s character does have an abrupt ending.

All I’ll say is this, on the record: There was an early draft of Iron Man 3 where we had an inkling of a problem. Which is that we had a female character who was the villain in the draft. We had finished the script and we were given a no-holds-barred memo saying that cannot stand and we’ve changed our minds because, after consulting, we’ve decided that toy won’t sell as well if it’s a female.

What?

So, we had to change the entire script because of toy making. Now, that’s not Feige. That’s Marvel corporate, but now you don’t have that problem anymore.

Ike Perlmutter is gone.

Yeah, Ike’s gone. But New York called and said, “That’s money out of our bank.” In the earlier draft, the woman was essentially Killian – and they didn’t want a female Killian, they wanted a male Killian. I liked the idea, like Remington Steele, you think it’s the man but at the end, the woman has been running the whole show. They just said, “no way.”

http://uproxx.com/movies/shane-black-the-nice-guys-iron-man-3/

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

McSpanky posted:

Deadpool seemed to have a lot of positive buzz coming from comic fans that helped build hype around it.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

computer parts posted:

yeah its a bit weird how you can do a movie about cyborg now and people know who youre talking about

wait that might not be the best example..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What kids were snatching up Killian toys anyway?

• Locked thread