Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Spellman posted:

Are the two Daves that saved Dirk in the finale forced to go back to their doomed timelines, or are they free to live in the Alpha session now unopposed? (I don't actually know.)

This one I do know!
Dave's "time clones" aren't from other timelines, they're the same Dave traveled into the past to serve some purpose and then continues living on in that timeline. So Dave got Terezi to safety, traveled back in time to get Dirk's body to safety, then traveled back in time once more to get Dirk's head to safety, then just continues life as normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Plom Bar posted:

This one I do know!
Dave's "time clones" aren't from other timelines, they're the same Dave traveled into the past to serve some purpose and then continues living on in that timeline. So Dave got Terezi to safety, traveled back in time to get Dirk's body to safety, then traveled back in time once more to get Dirk's head to safety, then just continues life as normal.

Basically, it's just like what we saw in [S] Dave: Accelerate, except somewhat less murdery.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Plom Bar posted:

This one I do know!

Oops, OK, that makes sense then. So I'm guessing this all happens within a fraction of a second from everybody else's point of view, so that Present Dave doesn't look like he's time travelled at all. That's a mindfuck.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, Dave time travels (or tries to) by keeping everything in neat causal loops with minimal footprint. He sees his future selves catching Dirk, so he knows it's okay to instantly time travel back and catch Dirk. It's when he goes off book that doomed timelines and dead Daves happen.

Typically, all spare versions of time travellers that travelled back without a stable causal loop are doomed (see: every single Aradiabot that wasn't the alpha timeline Aradia). Davesprite's the sole, and weird, exception through a series of shenanigans, primarily that he self-prototyped and therefore become intrinsic on another level.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

When this power of his was first shown, I thought that at one point or another Dave was going to look somewhat older than his friends on account that in what passes for a minute for them he has accomplished several hours worth of stuff.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

When this power of his was first shown, I thought that at one point or another Dave was going to look somewhat older than his friends on account that in what passes for a minute for them he has accomplished several hours worth of stuff.

Luckily adulthood in Homestuck seems to happen somewhat instantly, like Pokemon evolution.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Has anyone actually sent in any Homestuck 2.0 "how I feel about Homestuck" videos?

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

The age difference between Dave, Rose, and Jade is less than a week. Even if he lived several months' worth of extra time in his single day of time traveling, I wouldn't expect it to age him significantly.

GunnerJ posted:

Has anyone actually sent in any Homestuck 2.0 "how I feel about Homestuck" videos?

If I had, I certainly wouldn't tell this thread about it.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Plom Bar posted:

If I had, I certainly wouldn't tell this thread about it.

I don't mean in this thread. Just, like, at all.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
im afraid that for the first time in recorded internet history, absolutely no one has seen fit to share their opinion on a thing

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
So far all Homestuck 2.0's gotten is about forty thousand copies of this video.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Oxxidation posted:

So far all Homestuck 2.0's gotten is about forty thousand copies of this video.

And a few of these too: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1xXe46xi-wQ

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
Andrew once said on his formspring that he liked Lost a lot and that he'd like to make something like it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

I am still holding out a forlorn hope he's collecting the vids for a 6/12 psycheout.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Tunicate posted:

I am still holding out a forlorn hope he's collecting the vids for a 6/12 psycheout.

If (and that's a pretty big 'if') anything is coming I feel like it would take way longer than two months to make.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Tunicate posted:

The actual epilogue will be that Hiveswap has a room like this with all of the non-god-tier trolls and people in it. The end.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

There's a Rufio thread in GBS right now. How long until they figure out what Basco's actually doing these days? GBS in general seems pretty anti-homestuck so I'll probably keep an eye on that.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

subpar anachronism posted:

There's a Rufio thread in GBS right now. How long until they figure out what Basco's actually doing these days? GBS in general seems pretty anti-homestuck so I'll probably keep an eye on that.

Aw geez, I hope they leave Dante Basco alone. He seems like a pretty good guy, he doesn't deserve to get hassled by a bunch of dumb nerds.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
On Homestuck's popularity: in September 2015, I went to a convention in the Portland area and Homestuck cosplays were by far the biggest contingent there. Not just the obvious ones, but lots of minor characters. There was still tremendous interest in it, and this was during the pause. But I sometimes suspect that a lot of the fandom type people are more interested in the design of the costumes and the shipping grids between non-important characters, then they are in actually reading Homestuck.

I kind of suspect that Homestuck fandom will quiet down, but I think Homestuck references will stay with us, the same way that more than 20 years later, Neon Genesis Evangelion is still current and something that people were born in 2002 know about.

I also think that stuff like Homestuck is going to be moving into graduate schools of literature and cultural studies soon enough. 60 page thesis replacing tumblr posts. Looking forward to it!

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Also, what are the chances that Chuck Tingle is literally Andrew Hussie?

Chuck Tingle likes unusual shipping, horses, time travel and metanarrational bullshit. He first started publishing in December 2014, during one of the many pauses.

Makes me think.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Aw geez, I hope they leave Dante Basco alone. He seems like a pretty good guy, he doesn't deserve to get hassled by a bunch of dumb nerds.

gbs is just a bunch of grumpy goats, they don't do 4chan raids and you don't need to be paranoid about them

glowing-fish posted:

Also, what are the chances that Chuck Tingle is literally Andrew Hussie?

Chuck Tingle likes unusual shipping, horses, time travel and metanarrational bullshit. He first started publishing in December 2014, during one of the many pauses.

Makes me think.

Tingle has been active on twitter lately, and tingle's tweets about vox man and his devilmen agenda and clips from Grandma's Boy and poo poo like that don't seem that hussie.
Also Homestuck might be done but I don't really see how hussie has time to be both hussie and tingle

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Acne Rain posted:

Tingle has been active on twitter lately, and tingle's tweets about vox man and his devilmen agenda and clips from Grandma's Boy and poo poo like that don't seem that hussie.
Also Homestuck might be done but I don't really see how hussie has time to be both hussie and tingle

Just you wait until the second Homestuck game, Pounded In The Butt By My Webcomic Superstardom.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

glowing-fish posted:

On Homestuck's popularity: in September 2015, I went to a convention in the Portland area and Homestuck cosplays were by far the biggest contingent there. Not just the obvious ones, but lots of minor characters. There was still tremendous interest in it, and this was during the pause. But I sometimes suspect that a lot of the fandom type people are more interested in the design of the costumes and the shipping grids between non-important characters, then they are in actually reading Homestuck.

I kind of suspect that Homestuck fandom will quiet down, but I think Homestuck references will stay with us, the same way that more than 20 years later, Neon Genesis Evangelion is still current and something that people were born in 2002 know about.

I also think that stuff like Homestuck is going to be moving into graduate schools of literature and cultural studies soon enough. 60 page thesis replacing tumblr posts. Looking forward to it!

I dunno man, I can't see Homestuck spreading much more than it already has.

Like, now that I've seen it as a finished product it's really not something I'd recommend to others. It takes a long time to get nowhere and do nothing, and it ultimately ends in a way that feels empty.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Plom Bar posted:

I can't begin to imagine what the thought processes behind Act 7. On the one hand, the hand-waving of a LOT of plot points certainly supports the idea that Hussie just felt kinda done with it all and wanted to pack it up. But one doesn't commission nine minutes of full color complete hand drawn animation for something one doesn't care about anymore, nor does one spend 3 years (by his own account) managing a passion project that one no longer has the passion for.

At one point, I remember thinking that perhaps Act 7 had the same problem that the ending of How I Met Your Mother had, in which the creators married themselves to a particular vision of the ending extremely early on in the story, and ended up sticking with even as the story itself evolved in ways that worked extremely contrary to the ending's intentions. But then I again recall that Hussie had been working toward this conclusion since the Megapause back in 2013, and certain elements are in Act 7 that had to be set up late in the story for it to work, such as a living Vriska and Calliope, so it's hard to make a solid case that it was conceptually rushed either.

In conclusion, I don't really know.

I get the feeling that Hussie had other things he wanted to put in/around the ending, but considering he mentioned how it all still came down to the wire time-wise, it's likely that adding even more stuff would have delayed finishing the ending even FURTHER and he probably just had to make the decision to hit the major points he wanted to hit and be done with it. I think he might use the epilogue as a way to fill in some of those things he may have wanted to get to, but at an unspecified later point so he doesn't feel so beholden to the looming deadline of ending the comic, especially considering the hiatuses it had already been through.

Whether that was the right decision probably depends on how you feel about the ending.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I dunno man, I can't see Homestuck spreading much more than it already has.

Like, now that I've seen it as a finished product it's really not something I'd recommend to others. It takes a long time to get nowhere and do nothing, and it ultimately ends in a way that feels empty.

I have several friends who've told me they'll read it after it's finished so they're not stuck waiting forever for updates. One of them just got to Act 5 this morning :getin:

Plom Bar fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 16, 2016

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Plom Bar posted:

I have several friends who've told me they'll read it after it's finished so they're not stuck waiting forever for updates. One of them just got to Act 5 this morning :getin:

Let me know what they think, I want to see if the "it works better as an archival read" thing is true.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Kelp Plankton posted:

i think its interesting they were very specific about video games as in the plural, not just hiveswap, it made it sound like something else is already in the works

Official Homestrife video game
Gotta reuse those [S]:Collide assets somehow to recoup costs!

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

"Games" could also refer to Hiveswap being 2 acts at 4 episodes each for a total of 8 releases. I'm not gonna read too much into it until more information surfaces.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
I suspect that Hivebent is intended to be for What Pumpkin what Sam and Max was for Telltale - a thing that'll be popular in it's own right, but a springboard to further game development.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Collide gets worse on a rewatch

God the Condesce died like a little bitch

what was even the point of Bec Noir after all that

people keep saying remove the trolls to improve the comic, gently caress that noise, remove the carapacians

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Mimir posted:

I suspect that Hivebent is intended to be for What Pumpkin what Sam and Max was for Telltale - a thing that'll be popular in it's own right, but a springboard to further game development.

i would play Poker Night At The Meteor

Plom Bar posted:

"Games" could also refer to Hiveswap being 2 acts at 4 episodes each for a total of 8 releases. I'm not gonna read too much into it until more information surfaces.

i can believe this because it would allow them to give their kickstarter backers act 1 of episode 1 and make them pay for the rest to recoup Hussie's Swindle Loss

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

by the time we get to Act 6:6:6 we'll have sunk over 10 grand in kickstarters each

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Freak Futanari posted:

i can believe this because it would allow them to give their kickstarter backers act 1 of episode 1 and make them pay for the rest to recoup Hussie's Swindle Loss

The updates indicate that the first game of four episodes will be given to all backers at the "gamepak" level and up. So not QUITE that level of money grabbery.

Also I was wrong in my last post; there are two games, whose plots run parallel to each other, that are nonetheless being treated as separate entities. So, mystery solved.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

I will be surprised if the game is out before 2020, if at all.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Nobody cared about the game, everyone just wanted the 100 dollar scalemates

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

And the tarot decks. Don't forget the tarot decks.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

My take, which I know you have all been waiting eagerly for, was that conforming to the 4/13 finale date led to all the jettisoning of plot threads. Having act 7 preexisting for at least a year was always going to be a problem, but with more time, Hussie could have put a lot more information into the preceding panels and into [S]Collide.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

I'm not super certain that the problem we had at the end was that Hussie needed more time. The guy pretty much outsourced the final week. I don't think he would've done anything different once Collide dropped, it just might've been more talking in the leadup, which wouldn't have really addressed the problems many people had. Continuing yet another hiatus would've sapped even more excitement from an already dwindling fanbase, most of whom have gone of to Steven Universe.

Spellman posted:

Nobody cared about the game, everyone just wanted the 100 dollar scalemates

it was $205 and i'm glad i got lemonsnout not some lame-rear end pyralspite

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I just wanted to toss hussie some cash.

In retrospect I shoulda just taken out a gimmick ad on PW. That way the other person taking a cut of the money woulda been ryan north

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Pyralspite is the only one of those scaly bastards who is worth a drat, fool. Lemonsnout, Berrybreath, Scabfoot - all active detriments to any investigation benighted by their involvement.