Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Any PvP in Dark souls that isn't invading in various zones with different thematic gimmick builds is worthless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Loopoo posted:

"Oh no! I died and lost 6000 souls, I worked so hard for that! What will I do now?!"
"Lad, you fear death too much. Embrace it, it's your calling. Life is meaningless and we are but sheep to the slaughter. Die enough and you'll soon learn you're made of tougher stuff. A wolf in sheep's clothing."
"Jesus loving Christ, man, what kind of horrors have you seen?"

"We have traversed the Iron Passage and the Frozen Outskirts and battled many a giantdad and havelmage, you will learn in time."

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Andrast posted:

Any PvP in Dark souls that isn't invading in various zones with different thematic gimmick builds is worthless.

I like your style friend.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Loopoo posted:

I loving love this thread. I feel like I'm a fresh recruit, so green you can still see the grass stains on my rear end. You lot? You lot are the grizzled, scar-ridden, gruff-voiced men sitting in the far corners of the tavern amongst yourselves. So many battles fought and enemies overcome that you've lost any previous optimism or joy you had and have become cold, calculating killing machines. Shrouded in shadow and drinking your sorrows away as I happily skip into the place with a cheery smile on my face and a - what I assume to be - whopping 6000 souls in my pocket.

"Oh no! I died and lost 6000 souls, I worked so hard for that! What will I do now?!"
"Lad, you fear death too much. Embrace it, it's your calling. Life is meaningless and we are but sheep to the slaughter. Die enough and you'll soon learn you're made of tougher stuff. A wolf in sheep's clothing."
"Jesus loving Christ, man, what kind of horrors have you seen?"

typical encounter I imagine going down

There's a meme out there where one side is like 'Me after Skyrim *Picture of cheerful guy in armor*' followed by 'Me after Dark Souls *war-torn soldier with 1000-yard stare*' that sums this up pretty well

"Fight. Struggle. Endure. Suffer. Live." Good ol DS1 trailer

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

TheHoosier posted:

There's a meme out there where one side is like 'Me after Skyrim *Picture of cheerful guy in armor*' followed by 'Me after Dark Souls *war-torn soldier with 1000-yard stare*' that sums this up pretty well

"Fight. Struggle. Endure. Suffer. Live." Good ol DS1 trailer

I'd add to that "Me after Bloodborne" which is just some dude who's super pumped up about how sweet his whip-cane is.

Seriously, people focus on Bloodborne as a really dark horror game, but I saw an article recently about how Bloodborne is also, as the article said, "frickin' sweet" in a very '90s comic book sort of way.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Diabetic posted:

Lore question about Gwynevere:

What happened to her? It says she ran off with the God of War but then could be the wife of Oceiros and ran off again, is there any information on what happened to her? I've been wondering since Dark Souls 1.

Probably find out in the DLC, though they might not address Flann at all so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Harrow posted:

I'd add to that "Me after Bloodborne" which is just some dude who's super pumped up about how sweet his whip-cane is.

Seriously, people focus on Bloodborne as a really dark horror game, but I saw an article recently about how Bloodborne is also, as the article said, "frickin' sweet" in a very '90s comic book sort of way.

The Whirlygig Saw is pretty frickin sweet so agreed

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

bloodborne definitely has the most "anime" bosses in the series

that is, bosses that when I first saw them said to myself "that guy looks straight out of an anime"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

I wish they brought the pile driver back for 3.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I wish they'd brought a bunch of the weapons back for 3, or at least adapted their move sets to work with the setting.

I actually really wanted them to get rid of "two-handing" as a concept, that every weapon must have a two-handed stance, and instead make it "stance change" that works a bit more like trick mode in Bloodborne. Some weapons would still just be two-handed when you stance change, like halberds and greatswords and stuff, but others, like rapiers, would remain one-handed and just get an alternate one-handed move set. They even have multiple stance-type weapon arts that sort of get at that, but to do it you have to two-hand and hold L2. The dual wield weapons in DS3 also kind of take a step in that direction, in that "two-handing" them is actually just pulling out a second one.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

RBA Starblade posted:

God the pile bunker was one of my favorite weapons, anything that lets me punch and stand a chance while doing so gets a 10/10.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Andrast posted:

Me and a friend like to sit in Anor Londo with a random phantom and see how long it takes invaders to kill us or for someone using to latest gimmick from an Iron Pineapple video to show up.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Bloodborne is a frickin' sweet game.

I'm killing gothic horror aliens with a giant pizza cutter that goes BRRRRRRHHNNNNNNN every time I swing it.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

TheHoosier posted:

Reminds me, does anyone have that dark souls meme that has a bunch of location names, like undeadburg, the depths, blighttown, etc along with pics that fit each zone? The depths was easy so it was like pictures of puppies or some such but blighttown had a bunch of real nasty pics of human suffering.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
So when I went to the deep cathedral the first time patches wasn't there and now won't show up because I have the rosario checkpoint, and I can't get him to spawn at firelink with the tower key at all either. Any ideas?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

RyokoTK posted:

Bloodborne is a frickin' sweet game.

I'm killing gothic horror aliens with a giant pizza cutter that goes BRRRRRRHHNNNNNNN every time I swing it.

Bloodborne sucks my dick from the back. What a bad game.

Something I enjoyed doing in Morrowind/Skyrim was looking at particular NPCs in the construction kit, and making my character like them. For the longest time in Morrowind I RP'd an Ordinator from Vivec based on the stats they had in TESCK. How could I do something like that here in Dark Souls? Maybe by killing off Leonhard to become the new ringfinger of Rosaria's covenant. I think it'd be good fun to romp around as Cobra Commander, yelling A WIZARDS MIND, A WARRIORS HAND and buffing my Sailor Moon sword while soul massing nerds.

Speaking of fingers, it seems Rosaria's covenant is like that of a hand, with her lieutenants representing a finger. If Leonhard is the ring finger because he's this games Lautrec given that he kills her and jealously guards her soul, then what is Heysel Yellowfinger? At one point in Rosaria's bedchamber I killed a grub man and Heysel's hat and pick dropped, suggesting Heysel had transformed.

Man, it's going to take a lot of playthrouhgs.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 16, 2016

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I'm currently using a Fire Uchigatana +3. I have 21 dex and just finished Cathedral of the Deep (I killed boss there and got a Doll?). Should I switch over to Refined? I've heard Sharp is the way to go if I'm going Dex build, but I don't have one of those gems. :\

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Have you tried adding up the numbers when previewing the infusions? That's the easiest way to tell which way to go.

But yeah, if you don't have good STR, refined won't take you as far.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Capsaicin posted:

I'm currently using a Fire Uchigatana +3. I have 21 dex and just finished Cathedral of the Deep (I killed boss there and got a Doll?). Should I switch over to Refined? I've heard Sharp is the way to go if I'm going Dex build, but I don't have one of those gems. :\
You'll get sharp gems after Abyss Watcher. (or you can get one from the lizard at the dilapidated bridge)

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Use refined gems for quality builds (40 STR and 40 DEX.)

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am
I'm done with two NG runs now, both kind of disappointing magic-users. I want to do a standard big dumb fighter build, but I'm not sure whether to go pure STR or quality. Does quality really get enough extra damage on a B/B weapon over an A/- weapon to make the extra 40 levels' investment worth it?

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
So is there more than one version of the arrow attack from Aldrich that people were annoyed with? It was kind of annoying but didn't seem too hard to evade by rolling a bunch. Also didn't seem to hit too terrible hard if I got hit by part of it.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
In the second phase his arrows last for about five seconds and track you.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I have a Sharp Stone but the game doesn't even give me the options to upgrade anything to Sharp? Do I have to get past a certain point in the game or something?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Capsaicin posted:

I have a Sharp Stone but the game doesn't even give me the options to upgrade anything to Sharp? Do I have to get past a certain point in the game or something?

You need to find Coals to get extra infusions, like embers in the previous games. Andre tells you this if you talk to him a few times.

E: Looking back at your last post, you just finished Cathedral of the deep, so if you go back to the Road of Sacrifices and explore the swamp you should find the coal you need shortly.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 16, 2016

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

aldrich's arrows in phase 1 are in a wide straight line, if I remember correctly, and only last a few seconds. in phase 2 they track you for a while, and once it hits around the 8 second mark the arrows stop tracking and shoot forward quickly in a single direciton.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Diabetic posted:

Lore question about Gwynevere:

What happened to her? It says she ran off with the God of War but then could be the wife of Oceiros and ran off again, is there any information on what happened to her? I've been wondering since Dark Souls 1.

She is currently Rosaria, mother of rebirth. Oceiros's queen may have been her, or her disciple, or someone who inherited her soul for a while.

Melanion posted:

I'm done with two NG runs now, both kind of disappointing magic-users. I want to do a standard big dumb fighter build, but I'm not sure whether to go pure STR or quality. Does quality really get enough extra damage on a B/B weapon over an A/- weapon to make the extra 40 levels' investment worth it?

Only for some weapons. If you are using an axe or club or something, no. If you are using a big japanese katana, yes. 'Quality' will eventually out-do 'Heavy' or 'Sharp' when you get to a real high level, but the other options are like 80-90% as good, and you're probably better off getting lots of health & endurance & some vigor.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

StringOfLetters posted:

She is currently Rosaria, mother of rebirth. Oceiros's queen may have been her, or her disciple, or someone who inherited her soul for a while.

can you expand on this? what evidence is there to indicate this?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

BitterAvatar posted:

So is there more than one version of the arrow attack from Aldrich that people were annoyed with? It was kind of annoying but didn't seem too hard to evade by rolling a bunch. Also didn't seem to hit too terrible hard if I got hit by part of it.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

aldrich's arrows in phase 1 are in a wide straight line, if I remember correctly, and only last a few seconds. in phase 2 they track you for a while, and once it hits around the 8 second mark the arrows stop tracking and shoot forward quickly in a single direciton.
Its this. Also, I was the one whining about it earlier in the thread and I got over it pretty quick once I realized to get as far away from him as possible as soon as you see the bow come out and that he doesn't usually whip out the bow if you're close. But what I was saying was killing me wasn't the arrows: it was all of the other spells he'll blast you with while you're busy with the arrows, and every once in a while it seems like he'll arrow, soul spear x2, and then immediately arrow again, usually into a lifehunt scythe, and the whole time you've got little soul darts floating around. They're not always bad, but sometimes there's just a ton of bullshit that gets thrown at you in a way that just seems arbitrary.

And in true DS fashion, right after I bitched about it on the thread I ended up kicking his rear end, so :shrug:

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Melanion posted:

It's usually not 40 levels of investment, it's more like 20-30 depending on what you plan on using. 20 Dex is required for the Farron Greatsword, which is the most demanding UGS as far as dex goes.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
oh goddamnit i'm in a loving swamp :(

This is the worst part of the game :(

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

So in NG I invested in STR and whatever stats to use whatever I wanted to be melee with some buffs, NG+ I did STR+INT and did a sorcery caster with MLGS for melee, and for NG++ I want to go DEX/FTH. What are some good weapons to use for this? What are the best miracles? I'm probably going to drop 50 levels into FTH for the gently caress of it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

VulgarandStupid posted:

It's usually not 40 levels of investment, it's more like 20-30 depending on what you plan on using. 20 Dex is required for the Farron Greatsword, which is the most demanding UGS as far as dex goes.

If you're using the Farron Greatsword you do want higher dex, though, since it scales B with that.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

lite_sleepr posted:

Use refined gems for quality builds (40 STR and 40 DEX.)

Do you really get much more from going 40/40 or could you stop at 30/30?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Capsaicin posted:

oh goddamnit i'm in a loving swamp :(

This is the worst part of the game :(
Look on the bright side, unlike other DS games it's not poisoning you!

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

hard counter posted:

Do you really get much more from going 40/40 or could you stop at 30/30?

at that point why not go 40/x and make it heavy or sharp

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The reason I don't follow the SL meta is because its always at a ridiculously high number so it effectively kills invasions outside of a handful of hotspots. I care more about actually being able to invade in a variety of areas without waiting forever so I keep my SL and equipment level lower.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Of the two old Princess Guard miracles in the game, her soul can be transposed into one. The Boreal Dancer has the other, and she's referred to as a distant daughter of the old royalty.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

She strikes me as more of a copypasta with frog DNA like Karla or Siegward, a daughter of Gwynevere, rather than Gwynevere herself. That said, Leonhard kidnaps her soul to Gwynevere's room in Anor Londo. You can make one of Gwynevere's miracles from her soul (you can also make one from Dancer's). She also sits on a couch and you kneel to her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am

Akuma posted:

So in NG I invested in STR and whatever stats to use whatever I wanted to be melee with some buffs, NG+ I did STR+INT and did a sorcery caster with MLGS for melee, and for NG++ I want to go DEX/FTH. What are some good weapons to use for this? What are the best miracles? I'm probably going to drop 50 levels into FTH for the gently caress of it.

FTH is not going to be as good an offensive caster as pyro or even sorc no matter what you do, barring gimmicky WoG stuff. It really excels at buffs, however. If you're willing to push ATT to 24, you can run with Sacred Oath, Deep Protection and your weapon buff of choice and be an extremely hard-hitting and durable melee character. If you do that you really only need 28 FTH (or 30 for Lightning Blade), though three of the weapon buffs scale with spell buff which scales with faith. Estus is so much faster than any of the heal miracles that they're only worth it for out-of-combat healing or setting up a heavy regen build if you're into that. Otherwise, pump DEX and pick a weapon you like that scales well with sharp.

e: I should point out that I only know the FTH side of this, my last character was extreme FTH with just enough STR/DEX to wield what I wanted. Toward the end of the game I was running Sacred Oath/Deep Protection/Great Lightning Spear weilding a lightning longsword and I had a lot of fun learning to time point-blank spears during boss' recovery animations.

If you don't want to invest so much into ATT you can also keep Sunlight Straight Sword in your 2nd or 3rd slot and use its version of Sacred Oath, since it persists even if you switch weapons.

Melanion fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 16, 2016