Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Blind, really? God, why don't you just suggest Solaire while you're at it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
Yeah, something along the lines of Blind.

dungeon cousin fucked around with this message at 12:24 on May 16, 2016

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Frank: 1
Nostramo: 3
Ringo: 1
Manfred: 1
Derek: 1
Pretzel: 1
Ms/Mr Bean: 1
Mohawk: 1
Helios: 4
Drinky: 1
Nattylgt: 1
Pyrrhon: 1
Blind: 5

Aw man, who's gonna win???

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Throwing another vote in for Blind.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Blind is too stupid/great not to vote for it :allears:

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Helios .
Blind sounds dumb, and reminds me too much of ALTTP.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Throwing my vote from Frank to Blind too.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Let's be Frank about this

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Ditching Manfred for Blind.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Blind

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Having to choose between Blind and Helios, I have to say Helios is much less dumb

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Helios is cooler. :colbert:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Helios will be like a sun to us and never get us into a blind.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I vote get a spare unevolved one and use that. And call it helios. No caps because its little.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Helios

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Helios

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Blind

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Uh, let's see here... add the second differential... carry to one... ah poo poo a tie.

Alright, if someone posts a tiebreaker within 30 mins of this new update, then there we go, that's the name. Otherwise, I'm picking.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Update 17: Old Town, Burned Down

I thought I put this in the last update, but oh well, hidden item. Moving oooooooon.

Ecruteak City

Ecruteak City: A Historical City Where Past Meets the Present
(From ecru, a pale brown/yellow colour from the French écru, raw, or unbleached. And teak, a tropical hardwood.)
Enju City: The city where present and past concurrently flow in history.
(From 槐 enju, a Japanese Pagoda tree, 縁寿 enju, longevity of a relationship and enji-iro, deep red.)

There's a fair amount to Ecruteak, not as much as Goldenrod, of course, but enough that we'll be here for a couple updates.

Let's start here.

"POKéMON?"

: Well, what's an adventure without treasure hunting? Am I right, or am I right?

Right!

: Good! You understand the spirit of adventure. I like that! Take this with you.

: There are many items lying about that aren't obvious. Use ITEMFINDER to check if there is an item on the ground near you. It doesn't show the exact spot, so you'll have to look yourself. Oh yeah--I heard there are items in ECRUTEAK's BURNED TOWER.

The Itemfinder is exactly the same as it was last gen: completely useless. It tells you if there's an item nearby, but you have no idea where it is otherwise. I'll just stick to using online lists, much easier.

Alright, let's see what's past here.

: Sorry, but you'll have to leave.

Well darn. It's not a big deal, there's nothing there for us right now, but we'll be back much later.

Dance Theater

Alright, this is a very worthwhile place to go.

"POKéMON."

: I always challenge them, but I've never even left a scratch... Lassie, if you can defeat all the KIMINO GIRLS, I'll give you a gift.

Challenge Kimono Girl

"them in battle?"

Battling is my forte. Fortee? Fortree? Ah whatever.

Trainer Battle

HP: 65 | ATK: 130 | DEF: 60 | SP. ATK: 95 | SP. DEF: 110 | SPD: 65 | TOTAL: 525
#183: Flareon

Try to guess what the theme of these Kimono Girls will be.

"to see you again."

: Of course, I also train them.

HP: 65 | ATK: 65 | DEF: 60 | SP. ATK: 130 | SP. DEF: 95 | SPD: 110 | TOTAL: 525
#184: Espeon

This cat is tough. I WANT ONE.

Well you had Jeremiah, but that's not too surprising. She'll get better.

Alright, on to the next girl. Oh, is it Saturday night already?

HP: 95 | ATK: 65 | DEF: 110 | SP. ATK: 60 | SP. DEF: 130 | SPD: 65 | TOTAL: 525
#185: Umbreon

It took some time to take down, though.

"rette every month."

Ooh, really? It looks great, I think tulips work well. Have you considered saffron?

"like to battle?"

Over halfway there.

HP: 130 | ATK: 65 | DEF: 60 | SP. ATK: 110 | SP. DEF: 95 | SPD: 65 | TOTAL: 525
#181: Vaporeon

I have to be, to Slap your mermaid many many times.

"at POKéMON too."

Pokemon, yes. Dancing, no. Unless I'm drunk. In which case yes, but only if a girl is impressed.

HP: 65 | ATK: 65 | DEF: 60 | SP. ATK: 110 | SP. DEF: 95 | SPD: 130 | TOTAL: 525
#182: Jolteon

You might be fast, but I hit harder.

: My POKéMON keep my spirits up too.

Phew, that's all five of them defeated. Let's get our reward.

"watching a dance."

: It was a rare treat to see! I want you to have this. Don't worry--take it!

: It's a move that lets POKéMON swim across water.

Aw man, Surf (Naminori: Surfing) is a really, really good Water move with 95BP, 15PP and 100% accuracy. That's all it does and that's all it needs to do. It's an excellent move to give to your Water type, or other Pokemon in general, as a surprising number of non-Water types learn it, such as Sneasel, Tyranitar and, of course, Rhydon. We'll be doing a lot of surfing in the near future, so get ready.

: It was destroyed by a mysterious fire. Please stay away as it is unsafe.

Pah, pansies. Let's go walk around on weakened wood and crumbling architecture!

Burned Tower

: I'm on the trail of a POKéMON named SUICUNE. And you are...? MARINA? Glad to meet you! I heard rumours that SUICUNE is in this BURNED TOWER, so I came to look. But where exactly could it be?

"and RAIKOU."

: EUSINE is here, so I've decided to investigate the TOWER with him.

Legendary Pokemon, eh? Let's see what we can find.

There's a couple of things to find around the tower. This place is slightly different when compared to Gold and Silver, as we'll go into in a moment. One big difference is that there's no regular trainers here anymore, where there were two Firebreathers. Oh well.

"an item nearby."

Fun times. It's awkward to find these drat things.

Now it's time to circle around and resist the urge to punch something.

Rival Challenge

: ...Oh, it's you. I came looking for some legendary POKéMON that they say roosts here. But there's nothing here! Nothing after all the trouble of coming to this dump? No way! It's all your fault!

Rival Battle

HP: 45 | ATK: 50 | DEF: 45 | SP. ATK: 115 | SP. DEF: 55 | SPD: 95 | TOTAL: 405
#059: Haunter

Huh, expect a lot of that in our near future.

Aw, that's cute. Next!

Yet again, this guy can be tricky if you're not careful. But we're a lot better equipped than we were in Azalea Town. Other starters might be easy, might be hard, depends on a lot of factors.

While it looks cool, the animation does take a while. I don't even wanna think about how many hours I've lost watching that animation play over and over again back when I was younger.

Churchill saves the day, as per.

Ugh, get outta here. Confuse Ray (Ayashiihikari: Eerie Light) is a Ghost status move with 10PP and 100% accuracy that confuses the target. It's great, I love this move, one of my favourites.

: This is why I hate battling wimps. There's no challenge in it.

...who are we talking about right now?

Burned Tower

: You would never be able to catch a legendary POKéMON anyway.

: What are you doing falling into a hole? Some genius you are! Serves you right!

I swear to god I will end him.

...hello?

Well I think they liked me? Probably because I smell like them, I am covered in rocks and dust from my fall.

: SUICUNE raced by like a blur, right in front of my eyes! For ten years I chased SUICUNE, and I finally got to see it. I'm all choked up! MARINA, I owe this all to you! Thank you! I heard the legendary POKéMON of ECRUTEAK test humans by allowing them to get close. I'm going to track SUICUNE. MARINA, let's meet again! Farewell!

What a mysteryman. Wanna catch some normal Pokemon?

Sometimes Jeremiah just doesn't know her own strength...

I'll mark it on the list of poo poo to do later. Geez this is getting long...

Poison Gas (Doku Gasu) is a Poison status move with 40PP and 55% accuracy that poisons the target. It's inaccurate enough to not be a problem, but when it hits, boy is it annoying.

That's it for now. If you're crazy!

You can catch Magmar here in Gold and Silver. In Crystal, they moved Magmar to the last location you can visit in the game. That's stupid, you're stupid. We're not gonna wait that long.

And that's one evolutionary chain done with. Yaythereissomanytogopleasestopmebeforeitistoolate

The bottom floor is differently designed in Gold and Silver, but you still need to go towards the center to fall down the right hole and meet the doggies and then jump around the ledges.

This hidden item annoys me, but it's quick to head back.

Next time, it's Gym time.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Crosspeice posted:

Uh, let's see here... add the second differential... carry to one... ah poo poo a tie.

Alright, if someone posts a tiebreaker within 30 mins of this new update, then there we go, that's the name. Otherwise, I'm picking.

Helios.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Oh thank god. There we go, thanks for playing everyone.

I can only imagine what you'll decide on for our last two team members...

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Gen 2 has the best animation for Surf. :mad:

And Psychic. And in general.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

I actually think the attack animations in Pokemon Battle Revolution are really well done. Which is especially weird when juxtaposed against all the recycled 3d models from the N64 era that were over animated and look terrible.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ah, Burned Tower. I think the premise of it might be a bit blurry, but thankfully Vietnamese Crystal makes it perfectly clear, so quoting it:

The version of Gen 2 you should be playing posted:

THE BURNT TOWER WAS BURNT OFF BY FIRE.

The official translation just wishes it could be this clear.

Also it always annoyed me that the Kimono Girls aren't colour-coded. If they already come in colours, make them match their Eeveelutions, geez.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Skyridge posted:

I actually think the attack animations in Pokemon Battle Revolution are really well done. Which is especially weird when juxtaposed against all the recycled 3d models from the N64 era that were over animated and look terrible.

Those models were showing their age when Colosseum came out. Thank god Gamefreak went full hog with gen 6.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Ah, Burned Tower. I think the premise of it might be a bit blurry, but thankfully Vietnamese Crystal makes it perfectly clear, so quoting it:

The official translation just wishes it could be this clear.

Also it always annoyed me that the Kimono Girls aren't colour-coded. If they already come in colours, make them match their Eeveelutions, geez.

Ah, Vietnamese Crystal, the only Pokemon Game where you can do drugs, and swear everytime you get an item.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Crosspeice posted:

: What are you doing falling into a hole? Some genius you are! Serves you right!

I forgot about this part. Silver's so petulant that it's almost adorable.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

As a kid I was confused by the fact that Confuse Ray always confused the enemy but Confusion didn't.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

As a kid I was confused by the fact that Confuse Ray always confused the enemy but Confusion didn't.
So it worked?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Indeed.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I forgot about this part. Silver's so petulant that it's almost adorable.

I found him to be the most annoying of the rivals.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Update 18: Future's Past Present

It's Gym time!

Pokemon Gym

"tives."

: If you win, they may tell you some deep secrets about ECRUTEAK.

...are you gonna tell me about what type this gym specializes in? What I can do to win? To avoid doing? No? Okay.

"POKéMON?"

I will do when I know the type!

Ah, a Ghost type Gym. Or a Poison type Gym? Well it doesn't make much difference.

Mean Look (Kuroi Manazashi: Dark Look) is a Normal status move with 5PP that prevents the target from switching as long as the user stays in battle. It can be a bit annoying, but it'll be pretty useful later on. Boy am I looking forward to that update...

Good time for levels. Rain Dance (Amagoi: Rain Prayer) is a Water status move that causes the Rain weather effect. Weather lasts for five turns and overwrites other weathers. Even if the current weather is active, you can use the move again, though the turn count is not reset back to five. Anyway, Rain itself has quite a few effects: it boosts Water moves by 50% and reduces Fire moves by 50%, as well as the base damage of Solarbeam. Synthesis, Morning Sun and Moonlight recover half as much HP and Thunder has 100% accuracy.

It's finally time.

HP: 65 | ATK: 65 | DEF: 65 | SP. ATK: 50 | SP. DEF: 50 | SPD: 90 | TOTAL: 385
#073: Poliwhirl

: No normal-type attack can harm them!

Well at least I don't have something with just normal moves.

Jeremiah's gotten a bit of a boost, but we've still got some time before we get to the real good stuff.

Now careful where you step, or you'll be sent to the start. The path to take is simple enough.

Ooh, we could use one of those.

Now unfortunately, they made a Ghost gym in a game with only four Ghost types, so get used to seeing a few of the Gastly line.

This does mean they're all fragile and easy to take out, but boy does it get monotonous.

: The path is right before our eyes!

And that's the secret. It's pretty simple.

: Then spring came again. We have lived together a long time.

Gosh darn old timer talkin bout how old he is.

You don't stand a Ghost of a chance. Man I feel dirty for typing that, but I had to eventually.

Spite (Urami) is a Ghost status move with 10PP and 100% accuracy that lowers the target's last move's PP randomly between one and five. Five PP can be a big difference on some moves, but that involves you surviving the move they just used. And PP Ups make it less effective.

Okay, I think we're more or less ready for the leader.

For whatever reason, you can just step up and reach the end, instead of going on a longer path.

"revered."

: It's said that a rainbow-colored POKéMON will come down to appear before a truly powerful trainer. I believed that tale, so I have secretly trained here all my life. As a result, I can now see what others cannot.

: Just a bit more... With a little more, I could see a future in which I meet the POKéMON of rainbow colors. You're going to help me reach that level!

Gym Leader Battle :siren: VS Leader Morty :siren:

Morty: The Mystic Seer of the Future
(From mortis, Latin for death, or mortuary)
Matsuba: Clairvoyant ascetic
(From matsuba, pine needle, matsu, the end, and ma, evil spirits. The pine tree was considered to be a charm that wards off evil spirits.)

Okay, as you can see from the team overview, Morty has some pretty nasty strategies. So let's see what he can do.

Uh, or not. Right then, next Pokemon!

It's Jeremiah's time to shine, kinda. Sure we're using its worse Special Attack, but Surf is still a great move no matter what.

This is one problem with using Hypnosis as your main strategy, it is liable to miss. So onto the third Pokemon.

HP: 60 | ATK: 65 | DEF: 60 | SP. ATK: 130 | SP. DEF: 75 | SPD: 110 | TOTAL: 500
#060: Gengar

This Gengar can be pretty dangerous if you let it, so this is a good way to make sure it doesn't happen.

And there we go, threat eliminated.

Maybe this one can show off what it can do?

Never mind then...

: All right. This BADGE is yours.

Pokemon Gym

: By having FOGBADGE, POKéMON up to L50 will obey you. Also, POKéMON that know SURF will be able to use that move anytime. I want you to have this too.

: It's SHADOW BALL. It causes damage and may reduce SPCL.DEF. Use it if it appeals to you.

: I see... Your journey has taken you to faraway places. And you have witnessed much more than I. I envy you for that...

: I was cowering in the corner out of pure terror!

And that's quarterhalf of the badges obtained. But man, I feel a bit bad for taking down Morty so easily.

Let's give him another chance.

Gym Leader Battle

The first Gastly isn't a huge deal as it can't do much other than trap you, Curse you and Spite you.

Sticking with just one Pokemon in this fight is a bad idea, since Curse damage racks up fast.

And the damage just keeps racking up. Night Shade (Naito Heddo: Night Head) is a Ghost move with varying power, 15PP and 100% accuracy. It does damage equal to the user's level, but it doesn't affect Normal types. Otherwise, it does not take type effectiveness into count.

While a strategy revolving around Hypnosis is very risky, when it works, boy does it work. Making you unable to move and sapping your health is pretty good when you can't heal.

Alright, round 2. I will not use Hypnosis to be fair so it can use its strategy.

(Finally it landed Hypnosis, geez) Uh, yeah, Dream Eater (Yume Kui: Dream Eat) is quite a dangerous move, with 100BP, 15PP and 100% accuracy that only works on sleeping targets.It lets Gengar do a fair amount of damage and heal most of its health back. If you're asleep for like 8 turns, then you're hosed, cause you ain't living through that. But the process of actually putting something to sleep and then attacking it means the move isn't exactly the best Psychic move damage wise.

But again, it relies on the move actually landing...

And yeah, the last Haunter still doesn't do much. But it could be annoying!

Pokemon Gym

We'll just stick to the original beat down for a more even distribution of experience. Anyway, Shadow Ball (Shadō Bōru) is a Ghost move with 80BP, 15PP and 100% accuracy that has a 20% chance of lowering the target's Special Defense. That doesn't exactly match up with the move since its physical, so none of the Ghost types can effectively use it for STAB. But it is a great attack for a physical Pokemon, so expect it on one team member eventually.

Pokemon Center

Now it's time to see exactly what we can do with this Time Capsule. But for that, we need another person, someone from the past. Hmm, who could that be?

Route 22

: ...?

: ... ...

Pokemon Center

Welcome to a synchronous Let's Play. It is perfectly possible to trade between two games on a PC. However, it requires a completely different emulator, converted save formats and mapping two different control schemes to not go crazy. But yes, we are able to move any legal Gen 1 Pokemon we wish between the two games! Truly, this is the future.

: Please apply here. Before opening the link, we have to save the game.

: You can travel to the past and trade your POKéMON. Would you like to travel across time?

Obviously I wasn't able to do the usual Fraps recording, so I just did normal screenshots. No blink animations to gently caress things over, at least! Though there are various cursors as I worked through the technical difficulties. It's all good now!

: We need to change the look here...

Ah of course, I was a boy three years ago, after all.

There's a couple of small differences between how the Cable Club was handled between generations, but Yellow thinks we're just another Gen 1 game.

Gah, loving Steam! Didn't think my windows were that far down, but anyway, let's start the trade.

One big difference is that you can't view your other guy's team in Gen 1, but you can in Gen 2. To save me catching a load of rubbish, I just cloned Joey's Rattata to have trade fodder. I should note that to have the best cloning results, turn off the game a moment or two after the whole "Saving..." box has completed. Just keep experimenting for the best results.

This is gonna take a while, however. Trading has never been particularly quick.

Trading Trading

And voila! Ikue is now in a Gen 2 game!

Before too long, everyone's been moved over. So now it's time to leave.

In Gen 2, you simply need to walk out the door, but in Gen 1, you have to restart the whole game.

And with that, our trading time is over. Thanks to SATOSHI for the help. Maybe we'll need him in future. In any case, you may have noticed that all our old team are holding items? Well, let's delve deep into the mechanics of the Time Capsule. But first, we can talk about all three of the Kanto starters.

HP: 45 | ATK: 49 | DEF: 49 | SP.ATK: 65 | SP.DEF: 65 | SPD: 35 | TOTAL: 318
#226: Bulbasaur

HP: 39 | ATK: 52 | DEF: 43 | SP.ATK: 60 | SP.DEF: 50 | SPD: 65 | TOTAL: 309
#229: Charmander

HP: 44 | ATK: 48 | DEF: 65 | SP.ATK: 50 | SP.DEF: 64 | SPD: 43 | TOTAL: 314
#232: Squirtle

Phew, with that out of the way, let's have a look at some of these items. In the Side Notes for this update. Cause goddamn, there's actually a fair amount to talk about. Next update, we'll see what we can put to work with this new fangled Surf move of ours...

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 11:52 on May 29, 2016

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Side Notes 12: All About Hold Items

From Gen 1

Every Pokemon you send over from Gen 1 will have an item attached to it. This is determined by the Pokemon's catch rate AT POINT OF CAPTURE. Even if it evolves, it will still have the same listed catch rate, this is not updated when it evolves. The only way to have that evolved Pokemon with the right catch rate is to, well, catch it. So a lot of evolutionary families hold the same item since you can only get them at a certain stage and, indeed, a certain catch rate. It's listed in the Pokemon's data structure and since the catch rate can go from 1 to 255 and there's 255 spaces for items (256 if you count no item held), it made sense to have them share it.

But let's talk about the actual items themselves, cause there are a lot of unique ones. Such as the Light Ball, which doubles Pikachu Special Attack and can only be obtained by trading over the starter Pikachu from Yellow, as its catch rate was changed from 190 to 163 specifically for this. Pikachu traded from RBG have a Berry instead. The Light Ball doesn't do anything else until Emerald. So moving on!

I traded over a few more Pokemon to show off the Brick Piece and Gold Leaf, but couldn't be arsed trading over a Pokemon with a Silver Leaf over. Basically, they're useless items made for selling, for Ł1000, Ł500 and Ł700 respectively. Yeah, the one made of gold sells the least. Anyway, let's talk about even more items!

The majority of Pokemon you trade over will have a Berry or Bitter Berry. While there is a 1 to 1 match between catch rate and held items, some catch rates result in garbage items and such and many catch rates are not legitimately obtainable anyway. In certain cases, the game plans for it and changes it to an actual item, otherwise Pokemon with a catch rate of 255 will be holding the Cancel menu option and cause all sorts of fun things to happen. Wigglytuff, Dugtrio and Alakazam will hold a Gold Berry, while Clefairy holds a Mystery Berry. Just remember, this is only if you catch them at that stage, so only Dugtrio and Wigglytuff can legitimately hold a Gold Berry when traded over. If you remember, I caught an Alakazam in my Yellow LP so I wouldn't have to trade, meaning it would hold a Gold Berry if I trade it over. I totally planned that!

In even more unique cases, a Pokemon will be holding a TM, or a type boosting hold item. Abra is the only Pokemon holding TM09 Psych Up and the only way to obtain this TM in the game, though some Pokemon can learn Psych Up through level up. Funnily enough, this does not include the Abra family, but it can learn it through TM. Anyway, Psych Up (Jikoanji: Self-suggest) is a Normal status move with 10PP that copies the opponent's negative and positive stat changes. Other TMs that can be obtained are TM43 Detect from the base Nidorans (though you can find that TM normally in game) and TM33 Ice Punch from Krabby, Horsea, Goldeen and Staryu, so it's very useful if you're short on money and like the move. Detect (Mikiri: All-Seeing), meanwhile, is a Fighting status move with 5PP and +3 priority that protects the user from all effects of moves during its turn. Its success rate is halved each consecutive turn its used. It is simply Protect, but with a different distribution, typing and PP amount.

Finally, we have a number of other unique hold items. Jigglypuff will have a Polkadot Bow (and in essence Wigglytuff if they're evolved from Jigglypuff. Otherwise, they'll hold a Gold Berry), an item that is identical to the Pink Bow, which is weird. But they're both replaced by the Silk Scarf anyway, so it doesn't matter. A Kadabra caught in Yellow will hold the Twistedspoon, which boosts Psychic moves by 10% when held and is the only way to obtain this item. Note that it needs to be a caught Kadabra from Yellow as caught Abra evolved to Kadabra will have TM09. It also needs to be from Yellow as Kadabra had a different catch rate in RBG and would hold a Berry instead. This can also apply to Alakazam evolved from a caught Yellow Kadabra, so technically, Alakazam could hold four different items, depending where it was caught and how it evolved. Fancy.

Chansey will hold the Lucky Punch and boosts its critical hit ratio by two stages. This is the only way to obtain this item and its pretty useless, since when the hell are you gonna attack with Chansey? Ditto will be holding Metal Powder, which boosts Ditto's Defense by 50% but only when it's not transformed, which makes it pretty hilarious, as the only thing Ditto can do is Tranform. What were they thinking making this item? Again, trading over from Gen 1 is the only way to obtain this item. Both Clefable and Snorlax will be holding Leftovers, though that can be obtained in a couple places. It restores 1/16th of the Pokemon's max HP rounded down each turn when held. As Clefable cannot be caught in Gen 1, only Snorlax can legitimately obtain it. Finally, Pokemon with a Catch Rate of 3 will be holding the Bright Powder when traded over and raises the holder's evasion by 10%. Nasty. It's the only way to obtain this item.

And that's really about it. Everything else either hold a Berry, or one of the sellable items. Dragonair and Dragonite are the only ones left to note. Since their catch rate changed between RBG and Yellow, their items also differ. If traded in from RBG, they'll both hold a Bitter Berry, but a caught Yellow Dragonair will hold a Protein, while a caught Yellow Dragonite will hold an Antidote. Dragonair can be caught in the Safari Zone, so this is an easy(?) way to farm them. Obviously, Dragonite cannot be caught, so it either holds a Bitter Berry from Dratini, or a Protein from Dragonair.

From Wild Gen 2 Pokemon

Let's now talk about hold items you can obtain from catching Pokemon in Gen 2. Certain Pokemon have a 5%, 50% or 100% chance of holding an item when you catch it. Let's go over them in dex order, cause boy does everyone like lists! First up, Butterfree has a 5% chance of holding Silver Powder, which boosts Bug moves by 10%. This is the only way to obtain this item, so good luck. Beedrill, meanwhile, has a 50% chance of holding a Poison Barb, but we've already got one. Fearow has a 5% chance of holding a Sharp Beak, but we can obtain one of those later easily enough. Pikachu and Raichu have a 5% chance of holding a Berry, the same as if you traded it over from RBG. Get used to seeing that. Note that you can't catch a Raichu in the wild, so having it listed is pointless. More often than not, the evolutions of the Pokemon listed here can also carry the item, but since they can't be found, there's no point listing them. There are some weird exceptions to this, however.

Clefairy has a 5% chance of holding a Moon Stone, or a 50% chance of holding a Mystery Berry, the same as its Gen 1 item. Vulpix has a 100% chance of holding an Ice Berry. Hah. Paras and Parasect have a 5% chance of holding a Big Mushroom and a 50% chance of holding a Tiny Mushroom. They should switch it on evolution as a dumb joke, but at least you can catch Parasect in Crystal compared to Gold and Silver. The Tiny Mushroom can be bought for a limited time later on, but the Big Mushroom can only be obtained in this way. All you can do is sell them, for Ł250 and Ł2500, respectively. Moving on.

Growlithe has a 100% chance of holding an Ice Berry, same as Vulpix. Poliwhirl has a 5% chance of holding a King's Rock, which is useful, since there's only 1 in the game and you need 2 to complete the Pokedex. Both Geodude and Graveler have a 5% chance of holding an Everstone, but you can get two during normal gameplay and you'll rack up a few if you keep getting 2nd at the Bug Catching Contest. Both Slowpoke and Slowbro also have a 5% chance of holding a King's Rock, so you'll get one eventually, surely. Magnemite has a 5% chance of holding a Metal Coat, but it's not necessary in Crystal, since you can obtain two normally and that's all you'll need. Farfetch'd has a 5% chance of holding a Stick, which boosts its critical hit ratio by two stages and allows it, adding in Slash and Dire Hit, to crit 50% of the time, the max chance. This is the only way to obtain this item.

Dodrio has a 5% chance of holding a Sharp Beak, but cannot be found in the wild. Doduo, for whatever reason, has no hold item data listed. Both Grimer and Muk have a 5% chance of holding a Nugget. Very funny. Shellder has a 5% chance of holding a Big Pearl and a 50% chance of holding a Pearl. Both of these can be found as hidden items, or bought in the Bargain Shop. They can be sold for Ł3750 and Ł700, respectively. Cubone and Marowak have a 5% chance of holding a Thick Club, which doubles their Attack. If it causes that stat to go over 1024, however, it will become mod 1024 (wraps around to a pathetically small number). This is the only way to obtain this item. Chansey have a 5% chance of holding a Lucky Egg, which boosts experience gained in battle by 150%. This works on all Pokemon and is the only way to obtain this item. Horsea and Seadra have a 5% chance of holding a Dragon Scale, but one can be obtained normally and only one is needed so it's like, whatever.

As you'd expect, Staryu has a 5% chance of holding a Star Piece and a 50% chance of holding Stardust. Star Pieces can be found as hidden items and at the Bargain Shop, but Stardust can only be found at the Bargain Shop or by wild Staryu. Mr. Mime has a 5% chance of holding a Mystery Berry, while Jynx and Magmar have a 100% chance of holding a Burnt Berry and an Ice Berry, respectively. Snorlax has a 100% chance of holding a Leftovers, as you already know, while Dratini and Dragonair have a 5% chance of holding a Dragon Scale. Mewtwo and Mew also have wild hold items, a 5% chance of holding a Berserk Gene and a Miracle Berry, respectively. But yeah, they can't be found in the wild and those items can be obtained otherwise, the latter through Mystery Gift, for better or for worse. Sentret has a 5% chance of holding a Berry, while Furret has a 5% chance of holding a Gold Berry and a 50% chance of holding a Berry.

Misdreavus has a 5% chance of holding a Spell Tag, but we can get one later, much, much earlier than Misdreavus itself. Steelix has a 5% chance of holding a Metal Coat, but you can't find it anywhere and wild Onix hold nothing. Shuckle has a 100% chance to hold a Berry and Sneasel has a 5% chance to hold a Quick Claw. Again, we already have one, so it's not necessary. Miltank has a 50% chance to hold Moomoo Milk, very nice, but Miltank is hard to catch, so not so nice. Larvitar has a 5% chance of holding a Hard Stone, but we already have one. Ho-oh has a 100% chance of holding a Sacred Ash as we'll see later. As we probably won't see later, Celebi has a 5% chance of holding a Miracle Berry, but come on, we all know there's no way of actually catching one, right?

Well anyway, that's all the hold items you might be finding on your Pokemon. This isn't every single hold item, there's still quite a few we've yet to see and some we may never find. Regardless, whether these probabilities are actually correct, I'm not 100% sure myself (heh), but I ain't waiting around for an answer to post this. Later y'all.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 12:08 on May 29, 2016

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Psych Up is a Gen II move? :psyduck: I had no idea. Then again, Gen II is the one with all the Pokemon that I think are actually from Gen III, like Skarmory.

I think the point of the Metal Powder for Ditto is so it can survive the first attack and then transform. Considering it only has 48 in each stat, it needs all the help it can get. Starting in Gen IV, Ditto can also hold Quick Powder, which doubles its speed. Of course, both powders are completely superseded by Ditto's Hidden Ability, which makes it automatically transform when it enters battle.

It's kind of hilarious how bad the info about Gen II hold items is. For example, Serebii claims that Vulpix and the other fire-type 'mons will hold Burnt Berries (which cure freezing) instead of Ice Berries (which cure burn). Starting in Gen III, Vulpix can hold Rawst Berries, which are the same as Ice Berries, so presumably Serebii is wrong about this one. I'm surprised that a series that has been so thoroughly datamined has so much ambiguity in this one area.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

I was stumped in Morty's gym for so long when I was a kid. Kept thinking I needed to use flash to light that black floor up or something :sweatdrop:

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I knew Light Ball was in this game, but I didn't realize it didn't actually boost any of Pikachu's stats. That's kind of interesting.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Arcade Rabbit posted:

I knew Light Ball was in this game, but I didn't realize it didn't actually boost any of Pikachu's stats. That's kind of interesting.

It does, it doubles Pikachu's Special Attack. Crosspeice was referring to how it enables Pichu to learn Volt Tackle if one of its parents was holding the Light Ball, which was added in Emerald.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Oh, so then I was right. Guess I misread that then, oops.

So, did they do the TM09 thing intentionally as well? Cause that seems like such an oddly specific set-up, how was anyone supposed to figure that out?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

BlackPersona posted:

I was stumped in Morty's gym for so long when I was a kid. Kept thinking I needed to use flash to light that black floor up or something :sweatdrop:

I think I ultimately just experimented with what pathways worked until I got to the end.

The worst Gym puzzle for me to clear was the 7th. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
I had a lot of trouble trying to defeat Morty during my very first playthrough because I kept brute forcing him with Bayleef.

dungeon cousin fucked around with this message at 10:23 on May 25, 2016

• Locked thread