Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

At this point I really hope that eventually Disney throws enough money around so all the rights to everything just reverts to Marvel. They've already done it with the Daredevil family, Ghost-Rider, and Punisher; I can't imagine Namor ever being a hot property for Universal, so I hope some package deal for it and distribution rights to Hulk gets freed up eventually. Fantastic Four and their villains can't possibly have any real cachet to FOX any more and they seem completely unwilling to use the cosmic stuff that F4 introduces. FOX can keep the mutants, but again I really hope they budge on the more fantastical cosmic villains/allies of the X-Men like Gladiator and the Shi'ar empire and stuff.

Also apparently somehow FOX has Nova because of the F4 stuff? Are you loving serious? That can't be true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Toxxupation posted:

They couldn't, actually. Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch were co-owned by FOX and Marvel, and FOX was ready to sue Marvel for the rights until they worked out a deal where Marvel keeps SW and FOX keeps Quicksilver. That's why Quicksilver's an only child in the X-Men movies and why Quicksilver gets killed off in AoU, because the deal made it so he could only be in one movie where he had to die at the end of it.

That would explain why he dies in AoU despite them having established a "not dying machine", but this is the first I've heard anyone mention this being a thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

At this point I really hope that eventually Disney throws enough money around so all the rights to everything just reverts to Marvel. They've already done it with the Daredevil family, Ghost-Rider, and Punisher; I can't imagine Namor ever being a hot property for Universal, so I hope some package deal for it and distribution rights to Hulk gets freed up eventually. Fantastic Four and their villains can't possibly have any real cachet to FOX any more and they seem completely unwilling to use the cosmic stuff that F4 introduces. FOX can keep the mutants, but again I really hope they budge on the more fantastical cosmic villains/allies of the X-Men like Gladiator and the Shi'ar empire and stuff.

Also apparently somehow FOX has Nova because of the F4 stuff? Are you loving serious? That can't be true.

Disney could literally not throw enough money at Fox after Deadpool's success. They could offer them six billion dollars and Fox would laugh at them.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Toxxupation posted:

That's not going to happen and no that's not true. Did you even see Guardians of the Galaxy? The Nova Corps were in that.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Madkal posted:

The X-Men cartoons have badly dated, but so has the first X-Men movie honestly.

Wolverine & the X-Men is still great and I'm still sad we didn't get that second season. :(

The first X-Men movie's plot is still pretty solid, but the actual movie as a whole, I agree, does not hold up.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

X-O posted:

He's not talking about the good Young Avengers, he's talking about the Gillen one which wasn't very good.
Congrats on holding a minority opinion.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
That book was super boring and McKelvie needs to stick to character design and cover art, his sequential art is way too static for superhero comics.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ImpAtom posted:

Disney could literally not throw enough money at Fox after Deadpool's success. They could offer them six billion dollars and Fox would laugh at them.

Considering the unmitigated financial and critical disaster that was the F4 reboot, I can't imagine the rights looking that attractive to Fox any more. I mean, Sony gave up part of the Spider-Man rights, and that's Spider-Man. At this point anything's on the table, except for the mutants (and even there I could see wiggle room on concepts they're not using like, again, Gladiator and the Badoon and the Shi'ar Empire).

X-O posted:

That's not going to happen and no that's not true. Did you even see Guardians of the Galaxy? The Nova Corps were in that.

I'm going off this Screenrant article. Yeah, I saw Guardians, and it's my second-favorite Marvel movie with its unmitigated success giving me hope that Cosmic Marvel becomes a big deal moving forward. Considering the insane rights issues with, say, Super Skrull (which apparently FOX has the rights to but NOT the Skrull race entirely?), I don't think it's that unbelievable that Nova as a singular character with a name and set of individual powers is not okay for Marvel to use - which explains stuff like why the Nova Corps in Guardians didn't have a Xandarian Worldmind or Nova Force or stuff like that.

Chill Penguin posted:

That book was super boring and McKelvie needs to stick to character design and cover art, his sequential art is way too static for superhero comics.

Critically speaking, it reviewed super well and although I have no hard figures to back it up, it got three trades and an omnibus so it couldn't have sold that badly. It's a pretty beloved run.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 16, 2016

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Chill Penguin posted:

It was well written and well drawn and very enjoyable.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

irlZaphod posted:

Congrats on holding a minority opinion.

It's loving laser focused on a very specific audience. If you are in that audience, great. If you aren't, it's a giant pile of wank. And that's fine, because some people are in that audience and it's explicitly being written for them.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

That specific audience is "anyone who has been a teenager, ever" though.

I presume you're referrijg to all the Tumblr stuff, that stuff is there and I largely ignored it because I couldn't give a a poo poo. It didn't affect my enjoyment of the actual story, though.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
To the surprise of nobody, Harley is getting her own movie, but not as a solo film, but as...a DC lady showcase? It's all very vague.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

Considering the unmitigated financial and critical disaster that was the F4 reboot, I can't imagine the rights looking that attractive to Fox any more. I mean, Sony gave up part of the Spider-Man rights, and that's Spider-Man. At this point anything's on the table, except for the mutants (and even there I could see wiggle room on concepts they're not using like, again, Gladiator and the Badoon and the Shi'ar Empire).

The Sony situation is pretty different. It was a combination of the leaks and a particularly weird situation and even then it amounts to 'rub my back and I'll rub yous' as opposed to actually giving up the rights. If Fox gave up the rights to Fantastic Four and Marvel made a billion dollar film with them people would lose their jobs.

Shonen Waifu
Jun 29, 2003

Toxxupation posted:

They've probably got Frankie Raye, Johnny Storm's ex who went by Nova when she was a herald of Galactus.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Slippery_Elmer posted:

They've probably got Frankie Raye, Johnny Storm's ex who went by Nova when she was a herald of Galactus.

Yep.

Richard Rider Nova wasn't in Guardians because Gunn felt it would take away from Quill if there were two humans running around in space.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Well they have the Nova Corps established now so they can do a solo film with him if they want. Although at this stage it might be a bit too similar to Green Lantern.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

But the Nova Corps are established as regular space cops, with no mention of special powers as far as I could tell. Isn't this a significant difference from the comic book nova corps?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Slippery_Elmer posted:

This is it. She was actually in the FF/Silver Surfer movie.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Ignite Memories posted:

But the Nova Corps are established as regular space cops, with no mention of special powers as far as I could tell. Isn't this a significant difference from the comic book nova corps?

Well that's simple enough a fix. "Man we just got our poo poo kicked in by one loving Kree guy, we should create some sort of...super-intelligence that can guard us against threats." Cue the invention of the Worldmind and by extension the Nova Force.

For reference, the Nova Corps are space cops given magical powers via an omniscient intelligence invented to protect the galaxy.

ImpAtom posted:

The Sony situation is pretty different. It was a combination of the leaks and a particularly weird situation and even then it amounts to 'rub my back and I'll rub yous' as opposed to actually giving up the rights. If Fox gave up the rights to Fantastic Four and Marvel made a billion dollar film with them people would lose their jobs.

Well, again, Marvel literally has experience buying back movie rights from Twentieth Century Fox, considering they got Daredevil back. And considering the fact that there's absolutely no mention of any F4 movies in the upcoming slate and how badly Fox salted the earth on the most recent reboot, they could just figure it's more trouble then it's worth.

I mean, the F4 reboot was a loving disaster. It really cannot be overstated how badly they hosed it up, and this is the third time in three movies they've released a movie that was a total critical failure, and the second time in a row it was a financial one.

Plus, the age of the stand-alone success has long since passed. Unless they try and dovetail the F4 into the X-Men universe (and I cannot think of a way to do that that won't be awkward as all hell) it's just not really a viable product for them any more. You're seeing that with how Fox is trying to reposition X-Stuff, with a whole slate of spinoff movies and universe expansion and the two X-Men television series in development for their various networks. I just don't think the First Family has much, if any, value to the studio any more.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

Plus, the age of the stand-alone success has long since passed.

No it hasn't. The top-grossing movie this year (though probably to be eclipsed soon by Civil War) is Zootopia, a completely stand alone original IP. There are plenty of stand-alone film successes in recent years. Most of them will probably get sequels eventually but that is because they were successful, not because they weren't stand-alone.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 16, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Marvel didn't buy back Daredevil. Fox just let it lapse. If you believe the rumor blogs from the time they even offered to let Fox keep Daredevil in exchange for a few characters, like Galactus, from the FF deal and Fox said no way. Fox is not going to let go of those characters without another try probably. Simon Kinberg even said this week they want to give the FF another shot. So I don't see it happening.

And going back to Nova if they ever do it in the movies it'll be Sam hopefully.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ImpAtom posted:

No it hasn't. The top-grossing movie this year (though probably to be eclipsed soon by Civil War) is Zootopia, a completely stand alone original IP. There are plenty of stand-alone film successes in recent years.

Don't be obtuse. You know I meant superhero films.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

Don't be obtuse. You know I meant superhero films.

Even that isn't true. Big Hero Six did very well worldwide despite being a Marvel-based film that had nothing to do with the MCU. Hell, Amazing Spider-Man/ASM #2 didn't do bad even, just not as good as was wanted.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ignite Memories posted:

The only thing that directly contradicted the comics was them flying around in spaceships. They could always just say they weren't using the Nova Force for some vague reason.

Speaking of space stuff, Bryan Singer has said that in addition to the 90's thing the next X-movie will involve their space stuff.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

The only thing that directly contradicted the comics was them flying around in spaceships. They could always just say they weren't using the Nova Force for some vague reason.

Speaking of space stuff, Bryan Singer has said that in addition to the 90's thing the next X-movie will involve their space stuff.

I know they mean Phoenix but I want to see the Brood in all their hilarious Alien ripoff glory.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Ignite Memories posted:

If Fox really had the rights to Nova then Marvel wouldn't be able to have a Nova Corps, period, with or without powers.

They just didn't have powers because that's what James Gunn wanted. It's not some contractual thing.

(Also those spaceships are loving great and I will never tire of saying so)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think the next one will definitely do the Phoenix/Shi'ar story.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It'd be pretty hilarious if FOX tried to do War of Kings with just the pieces they have. I really hope they do just for the trainwreck aspect of it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Toxxupation posted:

It'd be pretty hilarious if FOX tried to do War of Kings with just the pieces they have. I really hope they do just for the trainwreck aspect of it.

I know that's a thing you recently read, but that's a dumb conclusion to jump to even though it's something you've just read.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

X-O posted:

I know that's a thing you recently read, but that's a dumb conclusion to jump to even though it's something you've just read.

I mean, sure, they're doing Dark Phoenix. Anyone with eyes can see that, since it's the most famous X-Men story ever and they retconned 3 from existence. I just think it'd be infinitely more amusing if they actually tried to pull off War of Kings instead. Certainly would be more interesting, at least.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I for one am looking forward to finally seeing Gabriel Summers on screen.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah I'm pretty sure they'll try to adapt one of the most well known and beloved comic stories ever over that one that even most comic fans have never read.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

X-O posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure they'll try to adapt one of the most well known and beloved comic stories ever over that one that even most comic fans have never read.

Jesus, why so aggro? It was obviously a joke.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

War of Kings is nothing to joke about.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

BrianWilly posted:

If Fox really had the rights to Nova then Marvel wouldn't be able to have a Nova Corps, period

Sort of a ridiculous thing to say when you haven't seen the contract and we have at least one example of a situation where the contract operates in this fashion - Marvel can use Skrulls but they can't use Super Skrull.

Not saying its the other way around, but that's a pretty strong declaration when you don't know what the gently caress you're talking about.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

There's two different Novas being talked about. Rich Ryder / Sam are Marvel's and can be in Guardians if they want. I would like a Nova standalone in MCU Cosmic Phase Four.

Frankie Raye was the Herald of Galactus and Johnny's girlfriend. She is very much a part of Fox's FF franchise. I would like a FF to start off the MCU Cosmic Phase Four.

Do it Fox. Sell the rights. Do it.

Heathen fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 16, 2016

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They'll never do it just out of spite.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

mikeraskol posted:

Sort of a ridiculous thing to say when you haven't seen the contract and we have at least one example of a situation where the contract operates in this fashion - Marvel can use Skrulls but they can't use Super Skrull.

Not saying its the other way around, but that's a pretty strong declaration when you don't know what the gently caress you're talking about.
It's a strong declaration by way of using common loving sense, you amazing dickrat :)

Super Skrull is associated with the Fantastic Four. Richard Rider and Sam Alexander are not. Why would Fox own these characters?

I'm not talking about Frankie Raye at all. Who cares about her? I was clearly talking about the Nova that is associated with the Nova Corps, in response to Toxx's claim that they might only be able to use the Corps and not the singular Novas.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 16, 2016

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Toxxupation posted:

They've already done it with the Daredevil family, Ghost-Rider

Wait, could we get a Netflix Ghost Rider? That'd be cool. Where's Blade at? Maybe put them together if they're afraid they won't get over. Granted if Jessica Jones managed it with no issue, they can probably do whoever at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah the deals on Ghost Rider and Blade lapsed so they're also back with Marvel.

• Locked thread