Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

skooma512 posted:

Those who have passed ICND2, how long did it take you from when you passed ICND1 to when you passed ICND2? Just trying to get a feel for how much time I can expect to need before even considering taking it.

3 weeks. I did not do nearly as well on the second half but I passed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EpicCareMadBitch
Dec 20, 2008

Marshall Louis posted:

Are we talking Red Hat or LPIC/Comptia?

I was wondering if the LPIC would be a good starter course for the RHCSA? I know the RHCSA is more comprehensive but looking for a starting point on working up to it.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

Ozu posted:

I think RHCSA and AWS certifications are probably a quicker and more valuable path than MCSA if you want to do server sysadmin work.

Would that apply even if we don't have any linux systems? And what is AWS?

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Amazon Web Services

https://aws.amazon.com/

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Speaking of CCNA. I have to either renew mine or start studying for another cert fairly soon unless I want to let it expire. When I took the test last time I made this study plan for myself to follow and make sure I was on pace for my scheduled exam and felt comfortable with all of the official exam objectives. Hopefully this will help some of you out there that are studying now or planning to start soon. The book chapters are off of Todd Lammle's book and the black bar in the middle is the separation between ICND1 and 2 topics.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Loose Ifer posted:

Would that apply even if we don't have any linux systems? And what is AWS?
It definitely changes the nature of the question if you're looking for an internal move only where your company doesn't use any linux servers or AWS.

It you want to broaden your search to other companies though, you're going to find a lot of sysadmin type work is OS agnostic. Keep your skills current and flexible.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is the Lammle CCNA routing and switching study guide the updated version of CCNA general study guide? Wiley is saying that's the most up to date version rather than V7, but I thought the routing and switching exam was different than the general CCNA.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is the Lammle CCNA routing and switching study guide the updated version of CCNA general study guide? Wiley is saying that's the most up to date version rather than V7, but I thought the routing and switching exam was different than the general CCNA.

There's no "general" CCNA exam, R&S is the most "general" exam probably though.

I'm somewhat confused by your question. CCNA is a level of exams, there's CCNA R&S, CCNA DC, and uhh there might be more, then there's CCNP level, CCNP R&S, CCNP Wireless, CCNP Data Center etc

This might be slightly outdated, I'm unsure, but gives the general idea.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Lol at them ranking prince2 higher than PMP

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
loving lol at how highly they think of their certs. Yeah, sure, N+ is harder than CCENT and is on the same level as ccna, whatever you say comptia.

Also, A+ for everybody! It's universally good regardless of focus!

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Judge Schnoopy posted:

loving lol at how highly they think of their certs. Yeah, sure, N+ is harder than CCENT and is on the same level as ccna, whatever you say comptia.

Also, A+ for everybody! It's universally good regardless of focus!

Yeah obviously take stuff with a grain of salt, I mean this is FROM comptia so of course they will skew, but it does give a decent overview of may vendor certs and the progression of those certs within that vendor

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Back when there was only one it was just the CCNA, but after enough additional tracks like Voice, Security, Wireless, DC etc. were added it started to be confusing and the original, which mostly focuses on basic routing and switching technologies, was renamed to explicitly add R&S in one of the recent revisions. It also matches how the CCIE tests are labeled now.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay, thanks. Now I know which one to get and hopefully not let gather dust.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Signed up to take the F5 301a (LTM) exam this Wednesday for shits and giggles. Hoping to get purely on a combination of deployment experience and the LTM course.

plotskee
Mar 10, 2010

Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away. For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; The flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land.
I am going to be gunning for a sys admin job in a few months. I have a few years towards a comp sci degree and run linux for all my PC and hobbyist stuff, have a pretty good grounding. Thinking about the RHSCA as my get-in-the-door resume cert. Does anyone recommend any online courses to prepare? I was looking at this but I'm sure there is something better out there.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Looks like the 7th edition of the Michael Jang Redhat RHCSA/RHCE book is finally out - I've ordered it and should be getting it tomorrow.

Hopefully it will be as good as the earlier versions !

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

I was made to understand there were grilled cheese sandwiches here.
What's the best practice for obtaining a CCNA certificate? Been looking at courses and they can run upwards of $5000 for ICND1/ICND2. Can I do self study and just pay an exam voucher or is it recommended to take an actual course?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

weinus posted:

What's the best practice for obtaining a CCNA certificate? Been looking at courses and they can run upwards of $5000 for ICND1/ICND2. Can I do self study and just pay an exam voucher or is it recommended to take an actual course?

I'm self studying, and almost everybody in my office with one self studied as well.

That being said, I'm open to new suggestions on how to do that because holy poo poo Wendell Odom is so loving boring. The information in his books are good but it can get painful to read. A few of my coworkers managed to pass the test using nothing but his books, CBT Nuggets, and a simulator though.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Renegret posted:

I'm self studying, and almost everybody in my office with one self studied as well.

That being said, I'm open to new suggestions for self study because holy poo poo Wendell Odom is so loving boring. A few of my coworkers managed to pass the test using nothing but his books, CBT Nuggets, and a simulator though.

I posted the checklist I used above on this page. If you hate Odom go give Lammle a try, way more readable in my opinion. If you read his book and take all of the written and multiple choice exams at the end of his chapter, plus lab and review with CBT videos you ought to be able to pass no problem.

It's a lot to cover since the cert is so foundational but all the topics build off one another, break it down into chunks and it becomes way more manageable.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

If you really want a class, a lot of community colleges do them and I imagine it's a drat sight cheaper than $5000.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
CCNP lab practice suggestions? Something that I could throw on my laptop would be top notch, been looking at Boson NetSim for CCNP but wasn't sure if anyone else had a suggestion.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

crunk dork posted:

CCNP lab practice suggestions? Something that I could throw on my laptop would be top notch, been looking at Boson NetSim for CCNP but wasn't sure if anyone else had a suggestion.

Cisco VIRL is a solid choice. I run it on my macbook pro without issue.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
I looked into that too, it says something about requiring access to Internet to run though. Not able to connect to the network with personal devices at my current job, where I'd be doing most of my studying.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Loose Ifer posted:

I want to be a server administrator eventually. I've been a helpdesk jockey for about 6 years and finally have some urge to advance. So i'm trying to find the best path to get there from where i'm at now.

You're in the same thought pattern and goal mindset that I was after 7 years helldesking/CJing. I started with the 2k3 MCSA, upgraded it to 2k8, then upgraded that to 2012. The 2k3 exams are no longer offered, but if you go through 2k8 you probably have more opportunities to understand what you're studying in your day-to-day work, which will not only make you better at your job but help to ingrain the work itself.

Tab8715 posted:

Microsoft's exams are poorly done, continually ask ridiculous "gotcha" questions even the most senior admins balk at for sheer obscurity. It's still possible to pass though even with the official MS Pressbooks or whatever Vendor publication with various labs or real-world experience.

Truth beyond truth. The MS exams are tests of rote context-menu memorization and trivia. Lab it up, go through all the steps. The best thing I could suggest is to flash back to exams in HS and college (if applicable) and adapt the study methods that helped you do the best at retaining info. I also can't recommend Sybex's books enough - they are very good at what they had. I used the sole book for the upgrade exam at the time - I think it was by ExamCram - and it didn't serve me as well as it could. The 70-646 exam review came from a Sybex book, and it was quite good at what it did.

Read the books, write down notes as you go. Go back through the chapter in your lab environment, going through the steps and futzing with them as you go. Repeat as each chapter goes. Then go back over the book and highlight any relevant info, compare it with your notes and fill in the gaps. Run through the exercises. Break poo poo in test, fix poo poo in production, and schedule your exams for when you can make use of all three hours if you have to.

A lot of people post about woes for 70-640. I can't speak directly to it, but being the guy who just used AD to reset passwords and move around objects within OUs, it was really fascinating to understand how much more stuff AD contained, and how much more it could do. Think of this as the college courses for Windows sysadmins, and it really becomes a highly informative experience.

Understand the basics of what Powershell does for the 2k8 exams. Know Powershell at a functional level for the 2k12 upgrade.

If I can help, PM me - I don't lurk this thread as often as I should.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
If there was one bright side to the MCSA, it was that there are no sims to crash.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

crunk dork posted:

I looked into that too, it says something about requiring access to Internet to run though. Not able to connect to the network with personal devices at my current job, where I'd be doing most of my studying.

Yeah, VIRL is fairly full-featured but has to call home to a licensing server once a week or it stops functioning. I know that some people I worked with used to have a lot of success using GNS3, but if I recall correctly it can't do most of the Layer 2 features or any kind of image other than IOS unlike VIRL. I think it also requires you to have your own IOS images to load. Those are the only two options that I know about unfortunately.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I'm phone posting so don't have a link. But someone posted in this thread a few weeks back that you can get Cisco Packet Tracer free now, which is a great option.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
GNS3 isn't fully functional at L2 because switching is mainly confined to ASICs and so it has to happen in actual hardware or something, from what I've read.

I have the free Packet Tracer from Cisco and it's really nice, but everywhere I look says it won't be enough for CCNP RS. Hopefully I'm wrong though?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Packet Tracer omits a number of configuration commands that aren't in any of the CCNA topics.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

weinus posted:

I could see paying that much for a CCIE, but holy poo poo, $5000 for a CCNA?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

psydude posted:

I could see paying that much for a CCIE, but holy poo poo, $5000 for a CCNA?

I've seen these, they're 2 week boot camps meant for corporations that don't know better / don't care about 5k per employee if it means better cisco partner levels. They're not meant for individuals trying to pay their own way.

If classroom learning is your thing, try udemy. You get more of a classroom experience with instructor led courses and it's a suuuuper cheap value. $20 for 40 hours of content should get you through the ccna.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Heh, the CCNA R&S is getting revised rather quickly. Then again, SDN and The :yayclod: wait for no one I suppose.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Son of a bitch, really? How long do we have?

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/ccna

According to that: Last exam is 20th August 2016 for the ICND1 and full CCNA. 24th September for ICND2

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Sprechensiesexy posted:

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/ccna

According to that: Last exam is 20th August 2016 for the ICND1 and full CCNA. 24th September for ICND2

Give me a loving break

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Didn't they just revamp it in 2014? Or was it 2013?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

rafikki posted:

Didn't they just revamp it in 2014? Or was it 2013?

They changed it September, 2013. It was unchanged since 2007 at that point.

I'm trying to go through the topics to figure out what changed by my coworkers are being loud and I can't focus.

e:

https://learningcontent.cisco.com/cln_storage/text/cln/marketing/ccna-rs-exam-revision-v6.pdf

It's too fuckin early for me to think straight

Renegret fucked around with this message at 13:25 on May 17, 2016

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
poo poo, I was planning to knock out the ICND2 next, but I won't be ready by September. I hope updated textbooks will be out soon.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
God drat it! No wonder Laemmle said he was making a new edition

What happens if I get test 1 done in the summer? Do I just take the updated test 2 when I'm ready or should I even bother?

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I got my first cert!

After we moved to Google Apps here at work, I decided to get the Google Apps Admin cert. The test is a pretty cool no-bullshit approach. Here is a domain, here is how we'd like it configured. You have two hours.

I may have overprepared a bit, or it was just really simple, because I finished it in 30 minutes.

I think I'm going to start/continue working on the CCNA now. There's been lots of networking talk at work, and I've got a decent foundation of understanding on it already. I've also really been enjoying the networking side of things, even more than the server side. Making machines talk to each other is neat, and gently caress studying for Microsoft tests.