Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Foehammer007 posted:

anyone with a clean employment history in 2016 is an obvious spy okay

I don't care about being a 'spy'... I care about being a 'threat'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Dr. Pangloss posted:

And the point Aapir is making is that Fabius had a working strategy because Rome and the towns could be hardened against invasion and Hannibal lacked the army to take Rome. If Hannibal had a larger army, he would have done exactly what the MBC has done to us, Fabius or no. Many believe that if Hasdrubal had been able to reinforce Hannibal, he would have been able to do just that.

That's the problem with the whole "Fabian Strategy", it just doesn't work in Eve.

1. We are vastly outnumbered and even though I don't believe MBC has a leader equivalent to Hannibal, they don't need one. They are funded better than we are, they have superiority in numbers, they have superiority in all ship types and they are winning the morale war.

2. You cannot sufficiently harden your "cities". Thanks to Fozzie, flipping a station, system, region, etc is pretty easy compared to what Hannibal faced. If we could just sit docked while they roamed our space at will, it'd be a different story.

3. It's a game and the number of people that want to WIN(!!) at all costs, even entertainment, is fewer than the ones that want to have fun doing whatever thing they find fun that they can no longer do.

I have also said that we should be heading off to a different part of the map. I went further and said that we should drop any sov we have right now. These people are feasting on every tiny victory, so let's abandon the field and leave nothing for them to crow about. If they follow us, at least they aren't in Dek. If they follow us with our supers, then that means they are splitting their forces and increasing their vulnerability, possibly to the point where we have greater numbers back in PB/Dek. If they don't, we have removed the threat of overwhelming supercap superiority and that increases our ability to operate.

The true genius of Fabius' strategy is that you deny what the enemy wants. This enemy doesn't just want "good fights". They want to savor every victory over us and make us watch from our station in Saranen. So, we deny that to them. We move to the Drone regions, Catch, Immensea, Querious, wherever. If we aren't going to be back in Dek for 6 months plus, then let's GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE. Right now it feels more like we are watching the new kid in school make out with our old girlfriend from across the cafeteria while we punch his kid brother to make ourselves feel better. It's sad, even if the kid brother makes funny noises when he goes down.

Pretty much.

The worst part is the people denying that we lost like "this is all part of the plan!". We lost by every metric I can think of, we are sitting in Low Sec talking about how "we'll get dek back in like 6 months, have fun not fighting us!!" and trying not to undock anything fun. I'm not even sure why we are still here, it's not like goons haven't lost everything multiple times before. Why haven't we just swallowed our pride, laughed at how poorly we handled this, and moved on? Like if you are looking at this situation and thinking anything else other than "lol, poo poo" you need to take a good hard look around.

The Fabian Strategy may work better in real life where this is all you have, but in Eve you can go to another corp, gently caress off to wormholes, or just not play anymore. Do they really think people will hang around for 6 months of sword fleets from Saranen?

YouTuber posted:

Drop the neuts and put projectile weapons in there to speed up kills. You're not going to get any use out of them. You need to be in and out of the engagement quickly and capping people out doesn't work towards that. The projectile weapons add like 200-300dps depending on skills.

But if you are getting in close enough to use unbonused AC's, aren't you close enough for the neuts to be used?

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

ullerrm posted:

Genuine question -- does anyone think that there's room for a no-politics-allowed "Eve game mechanics" thread?

This thread is rotting garbage, but the chill thread is too silly for me. I just want to let my mental encyclopedia loose and legit discuss ship/mod balance and talk spreadsheets without a bunch of d-names making ten different single-sentence posts and spamming static in every page.

If this was my trainset I would have an eve sub forum at this point and I don't even play the loving game.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

Xolve posted:

I don't care about being a 'spy'... I care about being a 'threat'.

I think you can only threaten to be better poster??/

that was a fun try

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Richard Bong posted:

Pretty much.

The worst part is the people denying that we lost like "this is all part of the plan!". We lost by every metric I can think of, we are sitting in Low Sec talking about how "we'll get dek back in like 6 months, have fun not fighting us!!" and trying not to undock anything fun. I'm not even sure why we are still here, it's not like goons haven't lost everything multiple times before. Why haven't we just swallowed our pride, laughed at how poorly we handled this, and moved on? Like if you are looking at this situation and thinking anything else other than "lol, poo poo" you need to take a good hard look around.

The Fabian Strategy may work better in real life where this is all you have, but in Eve you can go to another corp, gently caress off to wormholes, or just not play anymore. Do they really think people will hang around for 6 months of sword fleets from Saranen?

But if you are getting in close enough to use unbonused AC's, aren't you close enough for the neuts to be used?

I was going to write up something similar along the lines, but this is pretty on the nose so I'll chuck out an unironic "same".

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
The "wait for them to get bored" strategy has the potential to pay off, but I feel that right now there's a shortfall in having our own guys not get bored either. It's no use having the other guys no longer caring about fighting in Dek if nobody is left when it's time to undertake any kind of reconquista.

I'm not bored, I'm doing my own thing and will throw knives when the time comes but idk if that works for other people.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
YES nice try goons on that titan

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Vando posted:

The "wait for them to get bored" strategy has the potential to pay off, but I feel that right now there's a shortfall in having our own guys not get bored either. It's no use having the other guys no longer caring about fighting in Dek if nobody is left when it's time to undertake any kind of reconquista.

I'm not bored, I'm doing my own thing and will throw knives when the time comes but idk if that works for other people.

Any other option would be better than what we're doing right now. Invading somewhere else, or asking Death for a couch to sleep on. If PL/NC. want to come piss off the bear just to poo poo on us I'm fine w/that.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Foehammer007 posted:

YES nice try goons on that titan

Oh jesus what did we do now

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Goatman Sacks posted:

We caught four titans in Saranen and hit them with welpcanes/bombers. Didn't manage to take down a titan, did manage to take down one of the FAXes they jumped in to save it. Oh well, we'll get it next time. Lost a bunch of the welpcanes but that's what they're for.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Goatman Sacks posted:

Be prepared for a day of smugness where we killed an shot a Titan and then killed an Apostle in about 5x times the amount of time it should have taken. I don't know if the FCs were overloaded, expected more agency from the average line member, or forgot how to use welpcanes, but that was a pretty depressing showing on our part.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

nessin posted:

Be prepared for a day of smugness where we killed an shot a Titan and then killed an Apostle in about 5x times the amount of time it should have taken. I don't know if the FCs were overloaded, expected more agency from the average line member, or forgot how to use welpcanes, but that was a pretty depressing showing on our part.

:smug: :hf: :smith: on getting a shield erebus to 60%35% shields

Xolve fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 16, 2016

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

nessin posted:

There's really only one way to get good at grabbing opportunities like this, and that's grabbing at them and learning from your mistakes. I don't get why you'd think it was depressing, didn't work out but it was a good shot at it.

Xolve posted:

:smug: :hf: :smith: on getting a shield erebus to 60%35% shields

Yeah i think a lot of people assumed it was armor-tanked so the damage inflicted seemed a lot less impressive. If it was armor-tanked it would have been a pretty bad performance but they got solidly into the tanking layer.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Rhymenoserous posted:

Any other option would be better than what we're doing right now. Invading somewhere else, or asking Death for a couch to sleep on. If PL/NC. want to come piss off the bear just to poo poo on us I'm fine w/that.

Fighting Russians is dumb because they live in Russian timezone.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

evilweasel posted:

There's really only one way to get good at grabbing opportunities like this, and that's grabbing at them and learning from your mistakes. I don't get why you'd think it was depressing, didn't work out but it was a good shot at it

I wish more people on your side of the fence had this attitude.

In before "begging for fights".

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Rhymenoserous posted:

I agree that anyone who thinks the current strategy will "work" (in the sense of, back in Dek after the AT) is crazypants, but from I'm not convinced we had many other credible options.

I dunno about now, but MBC was pretty vocal early on about how they were going to follow us until we ceased to exist in any meaningful way. Considering most of them are either hobos to begin with or gave up their sov to fight the goon menace, how many would decide to stay and rat in the north vs following PL and its various hangers-on?

If we're going to get followed by a huge blob wherever we go, why not chill where we are and enjoy a proliferation of targets? Yeah it means we have to stick to cheap fleets but it seems like a good training ground for new FCs and probably wouldn't be too different anywhere else.

I'll confess to ignorance of our current relationship with the Russians beyond them stomping on the Drone Walkers for violating neutrality.

bangers and hash
Sep 27, 2003
Obligatory custom title.
I have basically no faith in the whole "PL will get bored and leave...they must leave" thing. If we had NC. in a similar position, would we get bored and go away, or would we ~twist the knife~ while stabbing them in the chest hurf blurf tildes? Pretty sure I know which way I'd vote.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

VideoGames posted:

I am enjoying a Modulated Strip Miner II currently :)

do you have mining crystals :ohdear:

T2 strip miners are actually *worse* than T1 strip miners if you can't use mining crystals :(

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

bangers and hash posted:

I have basically no faith in the whole "PL will get bored and leave...they must leave" thing. If we had NC. in a similar position, would we get bored and go away, or would we ~twist the knife~ while stabbing them in the chest hurf blurf tildes? Pretty sure I know which way I'd vote.

Empirical evidence shows that we'd gently caress off after flying a mission accomplished banner because we are stupid as gently caress.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Richard Bong posted:

The issue we had is the Myrmidons would MJD away. So we were required to use a scrambler on the Stratios. This would leave us vulnerable to bait ships who counter scramble us. Scramblers only cost 4.5 cap. You regen this before each cycle of the neut hits so they can run scramblers from dry. Once you're engaged against a bait ship it's essentially pushing all your chips into the pile. Neuts aren't going to get you away from them, just brute force blowing them down before their help shows up. These people are going to be tanking an entire anomaly worth of stuff in addition to your highly specialized ship.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Why don't you guys get suicide tempests rather than hurricanes for supercap gank attempts like that? You'd get almost twice the dps per character in fleet, and you had a mach doctrine so you've presumably got no shortage of guys with the right skills.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Xolve posted:

I wish more people on your side of the fence had this attitude.

In before "begging for fights".

Gambling a relatively cheap fleet for a chance to score outsized damage with it is pretty much in line with our tactics the entire time, it's just those opportunities haven't really existed so far besides the occasional dumb carrier in saranen or marauder-hacker somewhere else. It doesn't mean that we should start taking brawls we're not going to win though, just that when we catch you doing something dumb we should try to take advantage of it. That's the whole point of asymmetrical warfare :v:

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Rhymenoserous posted:

Empirical evidence shows that we'd gently caress off after flying a mission accomplished banner because we are stupid as gently caress.

do you think anyone will write a book about how goons let pl go in this fashion post B-R and how they now are endlessly curbstomping goons? id read a chapter of a book about this

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

LemonDrizzle posted:

Why don't you guys get suicide tempests rather than hurricanes for supercap gank attempts like that? You'd get almost twice the dps per character in fleet, and you had a mach doctrine so you've presumably got no shortage of guys with the right skills.

Among other reasons: we have a current fleet doctrine that uses hurricanes for other things so when we have a sudden urgent need for a supercap gank fleet we're going to get way more than double the hurricanes as tempests because people don't have tempests sitting around fitted and ready to go.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Vando posted:

It's not inconceivable that in the last few years, what it takes to keep the Statistically Average Goon Line Member amused and logging in has changed quite a bit, and we have to catch up to that.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

evilweasel posted:

Gambling a relatively cheap fleet for a chance to score outsized damage with it is pretty much in line with our tactics the entire time, it's just those opportunities haven't really existed so far besides the occasional dumb carrier in saranen or marauder-hacker somewhere else. It doesn't mean that we should start taking brawls we're not going to win though, just that when we catch you doing something dumb we should try to take advantage of it. That's the whole point of asymmetrical warfare :v:

I meant simply capitalizing on a moment where we're being stupid (this happens at an alarming rate in TYOOL 2016) and rolling the dice for a titan kill.

LemonDrizzle posted:

Man do I not miss hauling around herocats.

bangers and hash
Sep 27, 2003
Obligatory custom title.

Rhymenoserous posted:

A valid point. Ok, pretend I mentioned someone who wasn't retarded. :sun:

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Blazing Zero posted:

do you think anyone will write a book about how goons let pl go in this fashion post B-R and how they now are endlessly curbstomping goons? id read a chapter of a book about this

We never let PL go. We stuck a deal where they could extract in exchange for leaving the N3 coalition. That check is signed and cashed.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
A whole lot of welpcanes fitting arty in that BR

Also lol at assuming anything with more than 5 mids is going to be armor tanked with how broken CCP made shield tanking post-citadel.

It's a shame avatars don't have 6 mids anymore or else you could probably make a better shield tanked avatar.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Goatman Sacks posted:

A whole lot of welpcanes fitting arty in that BR

Also lol at assuming anything with more than 5 mids is going to be armor tanked with how broken CCP made shield tanking post-citadel.

It's a shame avatars don't have 6 mids anymore or else you could probably make a better shield tanked avatar.

What changed to make shield-tanking so much better, I must have missed this.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Goatman Sacks posted:

Avatar also has ridiculously tight CPU, making re-fits a pain in the rear end.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

evilweasel posted:

What changed to make shield-tanking so much better, I must have missed this.

capital shield extenders forgot to follow the normal pattern of shield extenders being about half as effective as their equivalent in plates.

Xolve posted:

Avatar also has ridiculously tight CPU, making re-fits a pain in the rear end.

8 lows - 3 hs, dc, fit as many coprocs as you need!

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Goatman Sacks posted:

8 lows - 3 hs, dc, fit as many coprocs as you need!

Seems legit!

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Goatman Sacks posted:

capital shield extenders forgot to follow the normal pattern of shield extenders being about half as effective as their equivalent in plates.

They also take ~80% of the powergrid instead of 30% :shrug:

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Zephyrine posted:

We never let PL go. We stuck a deal where they could extract in exchange for leaving the N3 coalition. That check is signed and cashed.

You never could have stopped them from leaving in the first place, PL is quite willing to just gently caress off and play another game for a week or two. We did it when Billy Merc botched the entry into VFK. Goonswarm just stared at a shitload of bubbles for a week or two while we were doing scrims against TEST in BC2.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

YouTuber posted:

You never could have stopped them from leaving in the first place, PL is quite willing to just gently caress off and play another game for a week or two. We did it when Billy Merc botched the entry into VFK. Goonswarm just stared at a shitload of bubbles for a week or two while we were doing scrims against TEST in BC2.

Why did you retards ever even try the VFK headshot in the first place anyway, "Following Billy Merc" just doesn't sound like a very smart thing to do

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Goatman Sacks posted:

Why did you retards ever even try the VFK headshot in the first place anyway, "Following Billy Merc" just doesn't sound like a very smart thing to do

The entire north just collapsed and Goonswarm was pretty much the last remaining part of the old NC. It was reasonable at the time, just botched.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

evilweasel posted:

The entire north just collapsed and Goonswarm was pretty much the last remaining part of the old NC. It was reasonable at the time, just botched.

Yeah it was entirely plausible at the time, just not in any way like that.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

ChickenWing posted:

How's being a mod again deadtear? I haven't posted much on gf.com in a while so I haven't been able to see your handiwork firsthand

hellow chikkun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

evilweasel posted:

the old NC basically lost in geminate, then it was a steady cruise west for the invaders, and there was very little resistance as 5 regions (geminate, vale, tenal, branch, tribute) were blitzed in a few weeks

nobody really thought that one big morale speech would be able to stuff about 1500-2k dudes in VFK for a few weeks

• Locked thread