Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Max posted:

This and they didn't know that the doors were barred. They probably assumed "Whoah, she's crazy" and decided to book it out of the hut and figured she would just burn to death anyway, if they even thought that far ahead. More likely they thought "FIRE." In any scenario, that is the correct solution to a rapidly spreading fire.

The real miracle is not that dany is fireproof, but that she can breathe smoke and not asphyxiate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

El Hefe posted:

Is there even a single actual likable character left in this show?

I guess Tyrion is funny and the Stark kids have had pretty poo poo lives but drat...

I hate them all. I am waiting for Bad Pussy kill Bronn and I can stop watching the show.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Goons itt who are actively upset about how Game of Thrones is going should probably just switch to watching Penny Dreadful on Sunday evenings. It's good enough that I don't know what the showrunners' names are, because I don't need to rage against them on a weekly basis.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

GaussianCopula posted:

From a Sophie Turner interview

Rape is worse than actually getting stabbed to death or all the poo poo Davos went through (losing parts of his fingers, the generally not so nice live of being a smuggler, losing his child), dunno if I would agree with her judgement on that issue.

"its just rape, its not like she died or anything"

:goonsay:

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

https://fat.gfycat.com/GlitteringEntireHoiho.mp4

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ghosthotel posted:

lol

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Truly my favorite moment this whole season

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

I never understood shipping until just now

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Ghosthotel posted:

Well, they've both has experience being penetrated against their will.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

theres no other way to read he what he said that isn't him downplaying her rape + 5 seasons of emotional/sexual abuse but yah lol

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Soothing Vapors posted:

hellbastard
Apr 4, 2006

Soothing Vapors posted:

Yeah.... I don't know what happened to me, but the second I saw his face as she rode into town it turned me into a little school girl. I want this to happen so bad.

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Hope there will be brock samson and warriana levels going down
e:

Crash74 fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 16, 2016

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
I don't want to crash the party, but chances are that they won't see each other again after Brienne rides south. Just saying.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
She still has her loving hair! :byodood:

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Laziness is a fine way of describing the main problem with the show, because everything has become so over-simplified and caricature-like that the plot, the characters, and the themes are not well-served at all. The reason people are frustrated with characters like Daenerys and Ramsay, more than any specific logical concerns with individual scenes, is because they're never challenged in any significant way. Throughout the series, both the books and the earlier seasons of the show, most other characters are really made to struggle with emotional and material challenges. Challenges to their sense of competence or worth, their convictions, the justness of their cause, etc. Even when they win, their victories are frequently pyrrhic ones, and their experiences change them.

A prime example of that would be Robb. Now, I've seen people in this thread say Robb is boring, but I think he's still a worthwhile example because he's not even one of the main characters in the books. Even though Robb has magic wolf powers, is made the King of the largest of the seven kingdoms, and is known for never losing a battle, we still see him struggle tremendously with his duty as king and the conflicting rules and beliefs present in Westerosi society. We watch him struggle with keeping all of his allies happy, even the ones who don't turn traitor, as he must navigate the diplomatic and political concerns of different lords with very different personalities and desires. It is emphasized that, even though he is a decent and noble person overall, he is not entirely blameless for what has happened to the Riverlands, nor is everyone who opposes him pure evil(though admittedly, the Boltons and most of the Lannisters and Freys are pretty bad). Even a simple act of trying to spare a woman who he has come to love from the dishonor their society would shame her with(in the books) or do one thing for himself that is heedless of political or societal concerns(in the show) contributes significantly to his undoing. He never gets justice or vengeance against those who truly wronged his family, either.

Daenerys, on the other hand, especially in the show, is a character against whom there is almost never any real pushback. Everybody that opposes her is barely given a name, is cartoonishly evil even by the standards of a story that has somewhat of a tendency toward that, and is dispatched with relative ease while triumphant music plays. The closest thing to a pyrrhic victory she has is the loss of her family in season 1, but even that only empowers her in the long run and the situation doesn't ultimately raise any meaningfully difficult questions. Every character who joins her side becomes totally enslaved by her charisma and seemingly has no desires left beyond seeing her succeed. Pretty much every indication given by the writers and the actress implies that we are meant to accept this at face value as heroic and cool, so any hopes that this character will truly be challenged and deconstructed seem unlikely at best.

Ramsay is much the same way, though in his case he's a villain so the motivation is, I suppose, to make him seem formidable so we'll be excited when he finally fails. But this is a problem that has become more and more commonplace in the show as a whole. There are occasional flashes of possible complexity or nuance, like in the scene where Tyrion and the former slaves argue over what the best course of action is against the various slave owners, but we'll have to see if that has any kind of satisfying pay off or if it's just preparing us for yet another scene of the cartoon bad guys getting killed by dragons or stabbed in the back. These days it seems like there's very little political intrigue at all, just people getting killed or threatening to kill people. The characters are largely caricatures of themselves, which has been elaborated on by many others already, and the plot seems to drive their actions much more than the reverse. As for the themes, while the themes of the series as a whole are obviously still present, they're not really engaged with in a particularly interesting way anymore, in large part because of how simplistic most things are now.

Sneering at people who like complexity and nuance as "idiots" doesn't really make sense to me. It's one thing if you reject criticism for being too pedantic, and sometimes the criticism of this show can certainly be that, but at the end of the day there remains some legitimate flaws in the show that are worth talking about. If endlessly making jokes about Darkstar saying he is "of the night", which makes perfect sense in context(he's emphasizing that he isn't like his more famous cousin, struggling being in the shadow of the Sword of the Morning seems to be a defining part of his characterization and comes into play pretty much immediately when we see how lacking he is in honor), is treated as Good Criticism, then there's really no standard for good criticism in this thread at all.

Beeez fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 16, 2016

raej
Sep 25, 2003

"Being drunk is the worst feeling of all. Except for all those other feelings."

Hra Mormo posted:

She still has her loving hair! :byodood:

Why wouldn't she? She had her hair after the first time performing this trick.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I do love that we're having a legitimate debate over whether Jorah and Daario coated the floor and walls of a building with an odorless invisible accelerant or not

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
I'm so happy that the plot is finally moving, and the plot is absolutely fine - not quite up to (first 3 books) GRRM perhaps, but he's lost his right to complain after his endless writers block. I think that season 6 is really, really good, and much better than season 5.

The bitching about tent fires and glowing swords is seriously dull and frankly annoying to read, which is why there's so much pushback. I really, really don't care if the brazier pushing scene is completely realistic, and from the response to the episode I'd say that those who do are in a huge minority. If I thought it would help I'd happily agree with you that its not particularly logical (I don't think the tent has oil spread in it, the scene is pretty straightforward), and yet it just doesn't matter at all - the themes, plot direction and character development are the important things, not the mechanics. The point isn't the flammability of nomadic tents, its about Dany reclaiming her power.

Ultimately, I want to see as many plots merged as possible so that we can see interesting new character beats and finally start moving towards the end of the story. And I've only been waiting 8 years! God knows how those who've been waiting for 20 feel.

Stumiester fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 16, 2016

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

GaussianCopula posted:

I don't want to crash the party, but chances are that they won't see each other again after Brienne rides south. Just saying.

If the season spoilers are true, you're right, and it's bullshit. The show creators finally created something new and great that I didn't know I wanted, and they send her to the Riverlands instead of doing interesting things in the North.

I'm hoping the spoilers aren't true, because if they are, the show is at a dead end. I don't think they're true; they don't move the plot forward enough to resolve in the supposedly remaining 13 episodes. Dany's inevitable invasion is one thing, the White Walker threat is another, and doing both invasions plus an apocalyptic confrontation is way too much to ask of what is essentially one season of television. If they don't make more forward progress in this season than the spoilers indicate, it's probably time to abandon ship.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

raej posted:

Why wouldn't she? She had her hair after the first time performing this trick.

This time they didn't even bother to put fire ash on her face.

It's like Xena warrior princess camp.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Jack of Hearts posted:

If the season spoilers are true, you're right, and it's bullshit. The show creators finally created something new and great that I didn't know I wanted, and they send her to the Riverlands instead of doing interesting things in the North.

I'm hoping the spoilers aren't true, because if they are, the show is at a dead end. I don't think they're true; they don't move the plot forward enough to resolve in the supposedly remaining 13 episodes. Dany's inevitable invasion is one thing, the White Walker threat is another, and doing both invasions plus an apocalyptic confrontation is way too much to ask of what is essentially one season of television. If they don't make more forward progress in this season than the spoilers indicate, it's probably time to abandon ship.

I think a split season would be enough to cover Dany's invasion and the White Walkers, I mean if that's primarily what you're doing, and that seems like its the case. I think its pretty obvious we're gonna get Yara landing in Meereen and lifting the siege in episode 9-10 somewhere along there, and Dany coming to the conclusion she should head West to end the season.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ruddiger posted:

I liked the part where Sansa and Jon reunited and Sansa scooped him up and cradled his tiny body in her arms.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

GaussianCopula posted:

Rape is worse than actually getting stabbed to death or all the poo poo Davos went through (losing parts of his fingers, the generally not so nice live of being a smuggler, losing his child), dunno if I would agree with her judgement on that issue.

well thats opens a whole can of worms. I am ready for sansa to go lady stoneheart lite.

Beeez posted:

Laziness is a fine way of describing the main problem with the show, because everything has become so over-simplified and caricature-like that the plot, the characters, and the themes are not well-served at all. The reason people are frustrated with characters like Daenerys and Ramsay, more than any specific logical concerns with individual scenes, is because they're never challenged in any significant way. Throughout the series, both the books and the earlier seasons of the show, most other characters are really made to struggle with emotional and material challenges. Challenges to their sense of competence or worth, their convictions, the justness of their cause, etc. Even when they win, their victories are frequently pyrrhic ones, and their experiences change them.

A prime example of that would be Robb. Now, I've seen people in this thread say Robb is boring, but I think he's still a worthwhile example because he's not even one of the main characters in the books. Even though Robb has magic wolf powers, is made the King of the largest of the seven kingdoms, and is known for never losing a battle, we still see him struggle tremendously with his duty as king and the conflicting rules and beliefs present in Westerosi society. We watch him struggle with keeping all of his allies happy, even the ones who don't turn traitor, as he must navigate the diplomatic and political concerns of different lords with very different personalities and desires. It is emphasized that, even though he is a decent and noble person overall, he is not entirely blameless for what has happened to the Riverlands, nor is everyone who opposes him pure evil(though admittedly, the Boltons and most of the Lannisters and Freys are pretty bad). Even a simple act of trying to spare a woman who he has come to love from the dishonor their society would shame her with(in the books) or do one thing for himself that is heedless of political or societal concerns(in the show) contributes significantly to his undoing. He never gets justice or vengeance against those who truly wronged his family, either.

Daenerys, on the other hand, especially in the show, is a character against whom there is almost never any real pushback. Everybody that opposes her is barely given a name, is cartoonishly evil even by the standards of a story that has somewhat of a tendency toward that, and is dispatched with relative ease while triumphant music plays. The closest thing to a pyrrhic victory she has is the loss of her family in season 1, but even that only empowers her in the long run and the situation doesn't ultimately raise any meaningfully difficult questions. Every character who joins her side becomes totally enslaved by her charisma and seemingly has no desires left beyond seeing her succeed. Pretty much every indication given by the writers and the actress implies that we are meant to accept this at face value as heroic and cool, so any hopes that this character will truly be challenged and deconstructed seem unlikely at best.

Ramsay is much the same way, though in his case he's a villain so the motivation is, I suppose, to make him seem formidable so we'll be excited when he finally fails. But this is a problem that has become more and more commonplace in the show as a whole. There are occasional flashes of possible complexity or nuance, like in the scene where Tyrion and the former slaves argue over what the best course of action is against the various slave owners, but we'll have to see if that has any kind of satisfying pay off or if it's just preparing us for yet another scene of the cartoon bad guys getting killed by dragons or stabbed in the back. These days it seems like there's very little political intrigue at all, just people getting killed or threatening to kill people. The characters are largely caricatures of themselves, which has been elaborated on by many others already, and the plot seems to drive their actions much more than the reverse. As for the themes, while the themes of the series as a whole are obviously still present, they're not really engaged with in a particularly interesting way anymore, in large part because of how simplistic most things are now.

Sneering at people who like complexity and nuance as "idiots" doesn't really make sense to me. It's one thing if you reject criticism for being too pedantic, and sometimes the criticism of this show can certainly be that, but at the end of the day there remains some legitimate flaws in the show that are worth talking about. If endlessly making jokes about Darkstar saying he is "of the night", which makes perfect sense in context(he's emphasizing that he isn't like his more famous cousin, struggling being in the shadow of the Sword of the Morning seems to be a defining part of his characterization and comes into play pretty much immediately when we see how lacking he is in honor), is treated as Good Criticism, then there's really no standard for good criticism in this thread at all.

this. ramsay and dany are the two biggest characters problems i have for the show. they are both mary/gary sue/stu charactures of past seasons/not to mention the books. I didn't mind ramsay at first(i gave up on dany after season 3) as much, but now it just feels eye-rolling at this point. and neither mistakes ever come back to really haunt them. dany doesnt do poo poo expect retarded mistake after retarded mistake but then the writers through tyrion have to clean up her poo poo. now she was able to take over the dotraki piss easy thanks to her fucktoy and jorah sadbrain. in the books you can see why she inspires people. here i dont know what people see. Ramsay does the same stupid poo poo, he kills tons of characters and acts like a mad dog idiot. he basicaly acts like joffery on crack. idk. i am disappointed.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I was kind of surprised to see Jorah throw sand, isn't that like the stereotypically unchivalrous move? It's kind of silly but that did a really effective job of setting the stakes and selling me on an otherwise pretty straightforward action scene.

I dunno, I took it as, "Okay, I'm out of options, and my chivalry's been pretty well compromised by this point - I'll try this, because I've seen it work, like, once. ...well poo poo."

Beeez posted:

Daenerys, on the other hand, especially in the show, is a character against whom there is almost never any real pushback.

I agree with you on Ramsay, but not quite as much with Dany. She does face significant pushback - it's just not as obvious or dramatic as it is with some of the other characters. Her big obstacle in life that she's great at accomplishing things that last for, like, a week...and then suddenly turn to poo poo the next. Very little of what she has created has lasted. As the AV Club review put it, she's great at conquering, not so great at ruling.

Narmi posted:

Cool, but my point was that when you're arguing with someone, saying "who cares, it's a magic universe," is a poor defense and you need to come up with something better to support your side.

I kind of feel like I did, though - I did say, even before that point, "It's not too hard to imagine that Dany got the other ex-khaleesi, Jorah, and Daario to coat the hut with oil or something similar."

Majorian fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 16, 2016

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Mike N Eich posted:

I think a split season would be enough to cover Dany's invasion and the White Walkers, I mean if that's primarily what you're doing, and that seems like its the case. I think its pretty obvious we're gonna get Yara landing in Meereen and lifting the siege in episode 9-10 somewhere along there, and Dany coming to the conclusion she should head West to end the season.

Only if every other subplot is ignored or negated by the death of its motivating characters. What happens to Littlefinger and the Vale? What happens to Dorne and the Reach? Assuming Tommen dies, how do the Lannisters respond?

Maybe everyone will pull together during Armageddon and inter-house plotting will prove irrelevant. But in that case there was a lot of dreck they could have left out in getting to the point.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Unzip and Attack posted:

Yes how dare that guy actually think about the TV he watches and post about it in the thread dedicated to discussing the show.

KAHLLESI KICKED rear end DUDES WHOOOAAAA OWNED LOOK AT HER BOOBS SO HOT

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

I agree that she overstated things, but good lord, you genuinely have issues with women.

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

ramsay and dany are the two biggest characters problems i have for the show. they are both mary/gary sue/stu charactures of past seasons/not to mention the books. I didn't mind ramsay at first(i gave up on dany after season 3) as much, but now it just feels eye-rolling at this point. and neither mistakes ever come back to really haunt them. dany doesnt do poo poo expect retarded mistake after retarded mistake but then the writers through tyrion have to clean up her poo poo. now she was able to take over the dotraki piss easy thanks to her fucktoy and jorah sadbrain. in the books you can see why she inspires people. here i dont know what people see. Ramsay does the same stupid poo poo, he kills tons of characters and acts like a mad dog idiot. he basicaly acts like joffery on crack. idk. i am disappointed.
It was fine that Osha gets killed but jfc ramsay needed to get stabbed. Every single time poo poo goes down there are no consequences to his actions, just that dumb rear end look on his face.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

colonel_korn posted:

There's an entire tumblr site dedicated to hating the show where they refer to this as "honeypotting" based on the theory that Talisa was a Lannister plant that I believe was first advanced by our very own In It For the Tank.

(By the way that site is a good eye-opener for anyone who thinks that this thread is the apex of online snark about the show. It could be much worse.)

Ftw more self loathing nerds mocking something they religiously watch week after week :p

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

quote:

No one in this thread is legitimately sneering at anyone who likes 'complexity and nuance'. To be honest that's a kind of loaded statement. Who is going to say they don't like complexity and nuance? It's a bit like saying "Sneering at people who like a well-written story instead of an enormous turd doesn't make sense to me".

The reason these debates happen is because people have different definitions and understanding of what 'complexity' and 'nuance' are in a work of fiction, and different concepts of when it is best to have nuanced situations and when it is best to simplify, when it is best to have complexity and when it is best not to.

This is especially tricky because what we are doing here is comparing a sprawling, excessively long unfinished series of books that is widely acknowledged to have gotten bogged down in expansion of storylines, location, and cast, with a television show that is nothing but restrictions: budget, time of production, length and pacing of episodes, cast of characters, sets, etc. It is a completely different type of work.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

So who's excited for next episode having some Dorne in it :allears:

Crash74
May 11, 2009

drunken officeparty posted:

So who's excited for next episode having some Dorne in it :allears:

Do they all die horrible deaths?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Jack of Hearts posted:

Only if every other subplot is ignored or negated by the death of its motivating characters. What happens to Littlefinger and the Vale? What happens to Dorne and the Reach? Assuming Tommen dies, how do the Lannisters respond?

Maybe everyone will pull together during Armageddon and inter-house plotting will prove irrelevant. But in that case there was a lot of dreck they could have left out in getting to the point.

Dude the wall is going to blow up and ice zombies are going to start raining frozen hell on the world of man. The children created the white walkers to counter what they saw as man's ultimate direction -> dany the fire demon burning down the entire world. Jon is going to lead the army of the dead controlled by bran against the evil fire horde.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Crash74 posted:

It was fine that Osha gets killed but jfc ramsay needed to get stabbed. Every single time poo poo goes down there are no consequences to his actions, just that dumb rear end look on his face.

Yeah they're obviously trying to make it a big deal when he finally does get beat by Jon but it won't feel cathartic at all because he's just so drat boring. It's just like dragonball Z where you had just lots of filler time waiting for Goku to arrive on the scene and finally beat the big threat.

The Osha scene was dumb as hell too and not the slightest bit suspenseful.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I said some people sneer at complexity and nuance because there are people in this thread who legitimately seem to think that the show runners can do no wrong so long as they simplify things compared to the books, and that anyone who has problems with any of that simplification is an idiot. But maybe I should've worded it differently, I don't know.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Crash74 posted:

Do they all die horrible deaths?

I don't know, I'm just assuming we will get Dorne because there was none this episode. Same with Arya, I expect her next week too.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

I don't know, I'm just assuming we will get Dorne because there was none this episode. Same with Arya, I expect her next week too.

I bet there will the Arya, but probably they will just leave Dorne out for the rest of the season (I guess that was the point of wrapping it up in the very first episode)

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

hasn't been any Dorne since episode 1, thank christ. i think weve bugged out of that garbage pail for at least the remainder of the season.

e: beaten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The theory that they massacred the Dornish characters to get us out of there for good seems to be correct. Good.

• Locked thread