Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
poo poo pissing me off: someone stole my good chair.

buncha savages in this town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

DigitalMocking posted:

That's very funny you have a Nexia VC. That's the company I work for, Biamp systems. Nexia was a great product, for its time, but its really limited in terms of what it can really do when it comes to signal processing. We just set up our new facility using our new Tesira line and some new mics that aren't available yet (all beam forming) and its pretty impressive for sound quality, even in a cavernous lunchroom that will double as our company meeting room. The bigger rooms (6 - 8 people) are all run off of Tesira systems with Oreno as the dialer. The smaller rooms are all Bring Your Own Device hooked up with our new Devio product and its beam forming mics, and while I'm not an audio nerd, this is the product that blows my mind. You can sit in this small room with your laptop, plug into devio via USB and now you have a 4k camera and 65" screen to work with, but the audio quality blows my mind. You can talk just above a whisper and be heard crystal clear.

Depending on your budget, you might want to talk to an integrator that can get you a sound survey for that room, the proper noise canceling mics and a brain with some real DSP.

Our corporate boardroom suffers what you suffer from, but its not as big. You know how they say the painter's house always needs painting? Yeah. We've got two nexia's in our main corporate boardroom and some old rear end ceiling mics, not even our newer Audix celing mics.

Do you have an MSRP for the Devio in GBP?

Edit: Also an idea of how the camera integrates, does the box just function as a USB hub and the PC sees the camera plugged in and setting the audio device to the Devio and not the camera is part of the setup?

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 16, 2016

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

DigitalMocking posted:

That's very funny you have a Nexia VC. That's the company I work for, Biamp systems. Nexia was a great product, for its time, but its really limited in terms of what it can really do when it comes to signal processing. We just set up our new facility using our new Tesira line and some new mics that aren't available yet (all beam forming) and its pretty impressive for sound quality, even in a cavernous lunchroom that will double as our company meeting room. The bigger rooms (6 - 8 people) are all run off of Tesira systems with Oreno as the dialer. The smaller rooms are all Bring Your Own Device hooked up with our new Devio product and its beam forming mics, and while I'm not an audio nerd, this is the product that blows my mind. You can sit in this small room with your laptop, plug into devio via USB and now you have a 4k camera and 65" screen to work with, but the audio quality blows my mind. You can talk just above a whisper and be heard crystal clear.

Depending on your budget, you might want to talk to an integrator that can get you a sound survey for that room, the proper noise canceling mics and a brain with some real DSP.

Our corporate boardroom suffers what you suffer from, but its not as big. You know how they say the painter's house always needs painting? Yeah. We've got two nexia's in our main corporate boardroom and some old rear end ceiling mics, not even our newer Audix celing mics.

We had a sound survey a few years back, the guy called "...the most active room I've ever seen". The VC has been there long enough that when it was installed it was top of the line, we (the AV department) know it has got to go, and the whole room redone, but dealing with our bosses (the IS department) is frustrating because they don't understand anything AV related. We've got an integrator coming to look at it later this year, I just wanted some ideas to look at/pitch before then. It's all going to be a hard sell anyway, because IS refuses to believe us when we say the whole room can't be redone in a weekend.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Gunjin posted:

We had a sound survey a few years back, the guy called "...the most active room I've ever seen". The VC has been there long enough that when it was installed it was top of the line, we (the AV department) know it has got to go, and the whole room redone, but dealing with our bosses (the IS department) is frustrating because they don't understand anything AV related. We've got an integrator coming to look at it later this year, I just wanted some ideas to look at/pitch before then. It's all going to be a hard sell anyway, because IS refuses to believe us when we say the whole room can't be redone in a weekend.

Man, god speed.

DSP can do some amazing poo poo these days, but that room sounds like a nightmare.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Things not pissing me off today: Taking a remote training from home. Drinking a beer from my fridge for lunch instead of an overpriced beer at work.

Also not pissing me off: Training to be the primary admin of a new ticketing system... finally. gently caress you remedy 7. ITS OVER BETWEEN US.

DigitalMocking posted:

poo poo pissing me off: someone stole my good chair.

buncha savages in this town.

If someone did this to me, i'd straight up hunt them down. I've got my aeron dialed in.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 16, 2016

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Tigntink posted:

Things not pissing me off today: Taking a remote training from home. Drinking a beer from my fridge for lunch instead of an overpriced beer at work.

They.. they sell beer at your work? To employees? During working hours?

You are trying to pull one over on us, right? I've had beer fridays, where they wheeled in a keg and each person was allowed to have 2 beers, but not for sale every day... My mind is boggling.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

RFC2324 posted:

You are trying to pull one over on us, right? I've had beer fridays, where they wheeled in a keg and each person was allowed to have 2 beers, but not for sale every day... My mind is boggling.

Ah no. Sorry. I just work in an area where everywhere has beer and its not seen as a negative to grab a beer with lunch. But usually its awfully priced at like $6.00 per 12oz glass

We do have beer fridays in office though, every week it is sponsored by a different division.

Our CIO literally harasses us to go make sure we hang out with the non IT divisions and drink with them. Beer is bonding man.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Tigntink posted:

Ah no. Sorry. I just work in an area where everywhere has beer and its not seen as a negative to grab a beer with lunch. But usually its awfully priced at like $6.00 per 12oz glass

We do have beer fridays in office though, every week it is sponsored by a different division.

Our CIO literally harasses us to go make sure we hang out with the non IT divisions and drink with them. Beer is bonding man.

I agree, and have worked for a couple companies with an unofficial policy of going out as a group to have a couple beers after work. I just thought you had found the perfect job.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

DigitalMocking posted:

Man, god speed.

DSP can do some amazing poo poo these days, but that room sounds like a nightmare.

There's more glass, aluminum, and wood in here than a drat Apple store. Architecturally and aesthetically the building is lovely, but from an acoustical standpoint, most of the conference rooms are nightmares.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

RFC2324 posted:

We have kegerators on each floor and the only thing stopping you from only drinking beer is that is looks...bad.

Hell, a certain company that a goon works for has a full-on bar in their office.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In the 80's and 90's they were super chill where I'm at about having a couple drinks at work.

Then the 2000's hit and it was all "YOUR TAX DOLLARS BUYING BOOZE TO GET CONTRACTORS DRUNK!!!!" and it came to an abrupt halt. Now having the faintest scent of alcohol during business hours is enough to get someone terminated instantly.

Every few years they'll have a scheduled social event with some wine but it's pretty restricted.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Pissing me off: Companies that charge $700 - $1000 for a couple's health insurance, when it's not even great health insurance. Going on the marketplace should not be an appealing option for someone who has the option of insurance through their company. The $700/mo would be a $10,000 deductible.

But I'm unemployed, so I guess I just have to deal with it and try to get the job. Is "Their health insurance cost $12,000 per year" a valid reason to give in an interview when someone asks why you left after a short period of time?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Pissing me off: Companies that charge $700 - $1000 for a couple's health insurance, when it's not even great health insurance. Going on the marketplace should not be an appealing option for someone who has the option of insurance through their company. The $700/mo would be a $10,000 deductible.

But I'm unemployed, so I guess I just have to deal with it and try to get the job. Is "Their health insurance cost $12,000 per year" a valid reason to give in an interview when someone asks why you left after a short period of time?

Jesus, I'm paying $350 a month for private(not even off the marketplace) insurance.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I would think their benefits being dumpster fire levels of bad would be a good excuse.

My insurance runs 600$/month for my family with a 500$ deductible. I'm pretty happy with it.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

22 Eargesplitten posted:

"The compensation was not competitive for the market at the time."

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Hello coworker
That sends me messages
Sliced up over several lines
I know
That this is just how you type
And you don't see anything wrong with it
But it's loving annoying
So
Stop it

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Manslaughter posted:

Hello coworker
That sends me messages
Sliced up over several lines
I know
That this is just how you type
And you don't see anything wrong with it
But it's loving annoying
So
Stop it

Sorry
can't read
your
broken up mess
age. St
op i
t.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The worst is when they get crabby because you didn't respond to a message because you were forced to turn off notifications because of their two word updates constantly cluttering your screen. :fuckoff:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Tigntink posted:

Holy moly, if there's one thing that would make me YotJ out of here immediately, it's going somewhere with beer Fridays. Four years ago my department went out for a bowling + beers afternoon and someone in another department found out and loving tattled on us to a VP and welp that was the last time anything fun like that happened.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Sirotan posted:

Holy moly, if there's one thing that would make me YotJ out of here immediately, it's going somewhere with beer Fridays. Four years ago my department went out for a bowling + beers afternoon and someone in another department found out and loving tattled on us to a VP and welp that was the last time anything fun like that happened.

My office apparently used to all go out together after work on Fridays until the former HR flak kept getting so shithoused they got banned from the convenient bar.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I've heard of places with open bars in the past, always with an attached story of how the company with it had to put an end to it because of the alcoholic senior engineers and admins getting drunk and brawling in the offices, or pissing everywhere, or the other things that people do when completely soused and out on the town.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Greatbacon posted:

"The compensation was not competitive for the market at the time."

I'll use that one. I don't technically need insurance, I'd just really like to get my wife on insurance out of my pocket so she's not on a poo poo-tastic Kaiser plan her parents are paying for that doesn't cover half her medications.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Sirotan posted:

If you don't mind moving to the east side of the state, that pretty much pegs the IT department at Quicken in Detroit. I've been here since February and I'm still convinced it's a long con. They just sent at least one engineer from each team to Cancun for the weekend on the company dime.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

I've heard of places with open bars in the past, always with an attached story of how the company with it had to put an end to it because of the alcoholic senior engineers and admins getting drunk and brawling in the offices, or pissing everywhere, or the other things that people do when completely soused and out on the town.

My place of employment grinding the days away used to have an open-bar boat cruise on a nearby lake. (I couldn't participate due to no transport that I could trust :( .) At least part of the downfall was out head of office services (receptionists/word processing/etc.) getting loving well *obliterated* every year... I've heard of videos, but none have publically surfaced at my level of drudgery.

Not that I want to see anything particularly :nws: from her. :aaaaa:

In actual work-related fun, they've decided that it's "not fair" for newer staff to qualify for fewer PTO days per year - so everyone now gets near-max! (And a mighty grumbling arose from the longer-term staff who've over time qualified... since they get fuckall for being long-term otherwise.) As well, an optional work schedule will be available - 8x 9-hour days, 1x 8-hour day, and an extra weekday off in a two-week pay period.

Unless you're a clever rear end in a top hat who's been here ten years, and thus accrues 8+ hours of PTO per pay period. 8x9 hours, one free day, and 8 hours PTO. :getin: Kinda got the stinkeye from pointing out this perfectly legitimate schedule - poo poo, I wouldn't even be using my max 28 days PTO per year doing that.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Sirotan posted:

Four years ago my department went out for a bowling + beers afternoon and someone in another department found out and loving tattled on us to a VP and welp that was the last time anything fun like that happened.

My department got ratted out to HR for talking about an off-hours golf outing on our own dime.

We just talked louder.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I used to work for one of the big shipping companies and they actually told us we explicitly weren't allowed to go out drinking with coworkers during off hours at all due to the risk of it being associated as a company event or some bullshit.

Our district literally had the lowest trust ratings in the whole company for our management on the "anon" surveys

GTFO of there as quickly as I could.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Operation is a distribution group with the email operation@domain.tld.
Operations is a mailbox with emails ops_dl, ops, and operations@domain.tld.
Mail is set to forward from the Operations mailbox to the Operation group.

whyyyyyyyyyy

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tigntink posted:

I used to work for one of the big shipping companies and they actually told us we explicitly weren't allowed to go out drinking with coworkers during off hours at all due to the risk of it being associated as a company event or some bullshit.

Our district literally had the lowest trust ratings in the whole company for our management on the "anon" surveys

GTFO of there as quickly as I could.

I'm surprised the corporate lawyers let something like that happen. That argument pretty much face plants on the 1st Amendment "right to peaceably assemble", especially considering it's not during work hours. The courts have a pretty dim view on employers trying to curtail their employees' 1st Amendment rights.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

anthonypants posted:

whyyyyyyyyyy

someone didn't know how to setup an alias?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

flosofl posted:

I'm surprised the corporate lawyers let something like that happen. That argument pretty much face plants on the 1st Amendment "right to peaceably assemble", especially considering it's not during work hours. The courts have a pretty dim view on employers trying to curtail their employees' 1st Amendment rights.

I thought the 1st amendment only applied to the government?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I thought the 1st amendment only applied to the government?

Its not a legal battle any company wants to be in, even if they will win. I think they call it a PR nightmare.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

flosofl posted:

Just because a company policy is unenforceable doesn't mean people are willing to put their job on the line to fight a big company on a stupid policy.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

flosofl posted:

Definitely, but everyone who worked there made no more than 15$ an hour and the majority of us were college students who were just like "welp this is just temporary"

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Tigntink posted:

We can, not that anyone does, but we can't wear any company shirts.

"Don't party with your XYZ Corp shirt on" is basically our CEO's motto. Which of course isn't a bad thing.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

anthonypants posted:

whyyyyyyyyyy

lol are you working for the city again?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

pixaal posted:

someone didn't know how to setup an alias?
My guess is they didn't think distribution groups could have aliases, because the mailbox has several. But, that's so dumb

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

RFC2324 posted:

The same company that I got the huge file of credit cards mailed to me had weekly beer socials on friday starting at 1pm, we had beer stocked in the cafeteria and twice a year we had outings where the company culture was about laughing about who got the drunkest. The CEO ran the CIO over with a golf cart my second week there.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
New guy decided to modify the build VM without making a backup first. luckily I made a backup last week.

New engineers are precious. :allears:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ratbert90 posted:

New guy decided to modify the build VM without making a backup first. luckily I made a backup last week.

New engineers are precious. :allears:

I remember being that optimistic.

Now, I make sure I have a current config in our repo, and I still make a copy before I commit any changes. I get burned enough times, even I will learn that fire is hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

DigitalMocking posted:

The same company that I got the huge file of credit cards mailed to me had weekly beer socials on friday starting at 1pm, we had beer stocked in the cafeteria and twice a year we had outings where the company culture was about laughing about who got the drunkest. The CEO ran the CIO over with a golf cart my second week there.

At one of my first IT jobs when I was like 19 or 20 they were dumb enough to let me run the "Jell-O shot hole" at a golf outing, I accidentally drove off in a golf cart that belonged to some McDonald's execs, realized I didn't have clubs and drove it in reverse all the way back. I was so wasted I slept in the parking lot.