Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Bugblatter posted:

I mean... I really don't meet than many kpop fans among the incoming teachers.

They were loving everywhere in the last bunch before I left. I assumed the problem would be getting worse with time.

Now that I'm thinking about it I think Korean TV might've been bigger with them than kpop. They were huge into both though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

Whizbang posted:

A lot of people came here to save money for student loans or whatever but now the exchange rate is poo poo so that doesn't work so well.
Speaking of which, SodaTransfer is in beta right now and offering free exchanges (USD-KRW only) for up to 3,000,000원.

I used it last month and it worked well, though it did take a couple days longer than a bank wire transfer.

superm0nk fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Aug 2, 2016

theravenpope
Feb 9, 2015

superm0nk posted:

Speaking of which, SodaTransfer is in beta right now and offering free exchanges (USD-KRW only) for up to 3,000,000원.

I used it last month and it worked well, though it did take a couple days longer than a bank wire transfer.

Thanks for this. I'll try this out the next time I need to move money. It looks better than what I've been doing up until now.

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009

Bugblatter posted:

I mean... I really don't meet than many kpop fans among the incoming teachers.

Every other fellow foreigner I ever met in Korea... Was interested in K-pop or K-drama.

Employers for schools need to start adding TOPIK scores as a requirement so you get rid of 95% koreaboo applicants.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Raphisonfire posted:

Every other fellow foreigner I ever met in Korea... Was interested in K-pop or K-drama.

Employers for schools need to start adding TOPIK scores as a requirement so you get rid of 95% koreaboo applicants.

rural schools have begun to lessen their requirements and increase the pay again because they can't get anyone willing to spend a year in Jeolla teaching at 3 schools which have 25 students each.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I don't know if "someone who likes kpop" is quite the same as a koreaboo. Like enjoying the pop music doesn't mean you've moved to the country and put up with poo poo salary for it.

Like, yeah most people enjoy kpop. Because most people enjoy pop period.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
In case anyone doesn't know already, there's one of those annoying emergency drills where they stop all the traffic today at 2 PM.

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

They were loving everywhere in the last bunch before I left. I assumed the problem would be getting worse with time.

Now that I'm thinking about it I think Korean TV might've been bigger with them than kpop. They were huge into both though.
Same experience here. They'd go on the weekend to stand outside studios and take pictures of the top of G Dragon's head or whatever. And somehow that was a blast.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

By the end there were people I had to stop being around because the only things they ever talked about were Coffee Prince and G Dragon or whatever the gently caress. I don't remember any of that when I first got there. Kpop only ever came up to complain about how annoying it was and the only TV in Korea was the channel that showed nothing but Steven Seagal movies.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grand Fromage posted:

the only TV in Korea was the channel that showed nothing but Steven Seagal movies.

This is a bad thing? :colbert:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Unfunny Poster posted:

This is a bad thing? :colbert:

No it was the best thing. That and the DVD bang we found that had a shelf of his complete works.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

What is the international school situation in Korea like? I am thinking about making the plunge again.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grand Fromage posted:

No it was the best thing. That and the DVD bang we found that had a shelf of his complete works.

I remember going to Korea when my brother lived there with the Army and having a blast at how much they loved such shlock films. It only was paled by Thailands love for the same stuff :allears:

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Can we switch to kpop chat just to irk people? The people most sensitive to it aren't even in country anymore so their feelings don't matter.

It's almost time for summer girl group songs! Whose do you think will have the best song/video? Last years winners for song were clearly Sistar with AoA as a close second. However that was largely due to a poor showing from Girl's Day normally take the category.

What are your thoughts? No fair naming a third group because I might not know who they are.

slacjs
Feb 27, 2009

twice gonna come back swinging after their poor follow up to a strong opening.

slacjs fucked around with this message at 09:58 on May 16, 2016

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah Cheer Up being so forgettable after Ooh Aah was such a solid pop hit sucked! Doubt they'll be joining in on the summer hits so quickly though.

Oh hey AoA's entry is in. Everyone in chat has watched and discussed but are too big of pussies to post here and have kpop on their permanent record but idgaf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sno_genwMz8

It's pretty boring. Next!

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 10:03 on May 16, 2016

Milksteak
Dec 1, 2002

Bugblatter posted:

Can we switch to kpop chat just to irk people? The people most sensitive to it aren't even in country anymore so their feelings don't matter.

It's almost time for summer girl group songs! Whose do you think will have the best song/video? Last years winners for song were clearly Sistar with AoA as a close second. However that was largely due to a poor showing from Girl's Day normally take the category.

What are your thoughts? No fair naming a third group because I might not know who they are.

Last summer top three
Girls Day - Ring my Bell
Aoa - Heart attack
Cupid - I feel good

haven't heard a good song this year yet

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.
On the K topic, I feel the need to stick a toe into Kdrama since my kids keep bringing up some "Sweet Honey" one up in class that they watch with subtitles. What's a good one to watch?

slacjs
Feb 27, 2009

dream high since its got all the classic kpop stars

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I'm voting for the centaurs

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Apparently Descendants of the Sun, 태양의 후예 is the second coming of christ. Its supposed to be good.

Also yeah Twice better have something decent. Chore Up's only purpose is to be spam taunt in Overwatch matches.

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007
Hey now, I am coming to Korea for a short trip 6.4-6.12; granted I lived in Korea for about 6 years and left a year and a half ago for Taiwan, so I don't count.

I have the same refrain for everyone: get out of English teaching. Get out of 헬조선 and watch your stress float away.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
If you're around Busan during then, hit me up.

e. I'll probably be at baseball games nearly daily.

Maxsmart fucked around with this message at 12:56 on May 16, 2016

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Bugblatter posted:

Yeah Cheer Up being so forgettable after Ooh Aah was such a solid pop hit sucked! Doubt they'll be joining in on the summer hits so quickly though.

Oh hey AoA's entry is in. Everyone in chat has watched and discussed but are too big of pussies to post here and have kpop on their permanent record but idgaf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sno_genwMz8

It's pretty boring. Next!

They had to take this video down and reupload because they forgot to blur out the Japanese car manufacturers. :laugh:

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

Whizbang posted:

In case anyone doesn't know already, there's one of those annoying emergency drills where they stop all the traffic today at 2 PM.

Stop traffic? You mean the red light? Never seen anyone bother with those. In Gangnam the traffic never slowed and in the school we taught through it. My coworkers at the law firm say it's done to get people used to it in case of an attack so they're calm. They remembered stopping class and going outside as a kid 30 years ago.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
I'm just here for boobs and rear end.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Wait, is the chorus from Cheer Up actually supposed to be "Cheer up?" Cause if so, holy christ the pronunciation is wretched even by kpop standards, to the point where I assumed it must be Korean and the English title is never spoken.

Whizbang posted:

They had to take this video down and reupload because they forgot to blur out the Japanese car manufacturers. :laugh:

Also one of the members had some faint shadows in a shot that soooort of looked like underboob but were probably compression artifacts yet it still outraged people, so they had to fix those.

Still not as funny as the time almost all of an snsd video was lost during editing because the companies hard drive crashed and their was no backup, so the final result was just a few headshots run through goofy video filters and like .5 seconds of dancing.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 16, 2016

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
My buddy is planning on teaching in Korea, he has teaching experience elsewhere and has a Tesol and all that. Do any of y'all have a go to recruiter. He's Vietnamese-Australian so I'm worried a lot of Hagwons will be mysteriously uninterested in him. He's OK with country positions (Even though I've told him he's more likely to see racism there). Should he be expecting 2.2-2.3 or have wages gone up/down?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Eifert Posting posted:

My buddy is planning on teaching in Korea, he has teaching experience elsewhere and has a Tesol and all that. Do any of y'all have a go to recruiter. He's Vietnamese-Australian so I'm worried a lot of Hagwons will be mysteriously uninterested in him. He's OK with country positions (Even though I've told him he's more likely to see racism there). Should he be expecting 2.2-2.3 or have wages gone up/down?

Should be 2.3 for rural with the year of teaching experience + tesol. If he gets a truly rural post (not just suburbs) he might have 2.4-2.5 after the additional bonus. I think Korvia is the recruiter everyone in chat uses.

Since I coincidentally have the Epik page open, Incheon, Busan and Daegu would pay him 2.1, and Jeju or smaller cities will pay 2.2.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 17, 2016

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

Bugblatter posted:

Still not as funny as the time almost all of an snsd video was lost during editing because the companies hard drive crashed and their was no backup, so the final result was just a few headshots run through goofy video filters and like .5 seconds of dancing.
lol, as a guy that deals with this kind of customer (from an IT standpoint) daily, this is hilarious. Got links? :D

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

TreFitty posted:

lol, as a guy that deals with this kind of customer (from an IT standpoint) daily, this is hilarious. Got links? :D

As someone who works in film it was hilarious because it means they were editing on the original data dump drive, which you never do for a host a reasons. It's amateurish as gently caress.

I don't have the links, but googling girls generation hard drive might pull the news stories up. Or you'll find koreaboos talking about their creepy image collections. Whichever.

In other weird kpop news, AoA gave a tearful apology for not recognizing several famous figures in Korean history during a game show hosted by their own company. Said extremely tearful apology was given while wearing the red baywatch swimsuits from their new song. It is weird and probably someone's fetish.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Korea Megathread VII: It is weird and probably someone's fetish.

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009

Bugblatter posted:

Wait, is the chorus from Cheer Up actually supposed to be "Cheer up?" Cause if so, holy christ the pronunciation is wretched even by kpop standards, to the point where I assumed it must be Korean and the English title is never spoken.

I switched tabs from the youtube video with captions(?) and heard "shut up" "shut up"

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

DontAskKant posted:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

DontAskKant posted:

Not emptyquoting.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I like our current title too much. But if we changed "someone" to "the lummox," I'd be okay with it.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Grand Fromage posted:

I spent a week withdrawing from alcohol in a room bang (what's it called? Where you can rent a lovely hotel for a week or so?) and it was nonstop nick cage and that chat chat was not not a seizure and not gonna gonna. Fuckn sucks,

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

BrainDance posted:

I spent a week withdrawing from alcohol in a room bang (what's it called? Where you can rent a lovely hotel for a week or so?) and it was nonstop nick cage and that chat chat was not not a seizure and not gonna gonna. Fuckn sucks,

I have a feeling that you're the kind of person that makes a lot of bad decisions.
The word you are looking for is goshiwon 고시원

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

ladron posted:

I have a feeling that you're the kind of person that makes a lot of bad decisions.
The word you are looking for is goshiwon 고시원

More right than you could possibly know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
If anyone in Korea is willing to act as a middleman to order some hobby parts, take delivery, and forward them on to me, I'm willing to throw a fiver your way for your troubles: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3778190&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#pti2

Details in the post.