Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KFBR392
Jan 21, 2016

by Cowcaster

Hello Towel posted:

I don't really care that much about broader notions of "American soccer" or whatever the gently caress you guys are parachuting in here to post about.

I just like watching my local team, hanging out with my friends who also like the same team, and yelling at people who like other teams and then buying them a drink afterwards.

Isn't that the whole loving point?

Glad you're above it all but to have a Local Team for you to watch while you drink Stone IPA and talk about all those times you never actually played soccer yourself the league should be economically sustainable.

Also you'll have more folks to do this with if the product isn't rear end and piss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

this league is a joke because somehow the union have 'discovery rights' on zlatan

good find, idiots

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Hello Towel posted:

I don't really care that much about broader notions of "American soccer" or whatever the gently caress you guys are parachuting in here to post about.

I just like watching my local team, hanging out with my friends who also like the same team, and yelling at people who like other teams and then buying them a drink afterwards.

Isn't that the whole loving point?

lol you're from chicago, you could have replicated that experience with any number of the sports teams in your city why did you chose MLS if soccer is of no interest to you?

this might be crazy but i like watching the sport itself not the "experience" of being at a sporting event, and call me insane but when i pay money to watch that sport being played i like it to be played at a caliber that's noticeably better than the el salvadoran kids who play every weeknight in my neighborhood (im pretty sure half those kids are better than Jared Jeffrey)

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
This is getting close to personal attacks and "real fan" accusations so lets just stop talking about the supporters of this league and either go back to talking about why the league is so insanely structured or, god forbid, the game being played.

e: Also KFBR392 you're going to have to settle down on the old memes if you want me to keep pretending I don't know who you are.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Who cares about pro/rel it's Viernes de fútbol gents

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

That Leicester comment :laugh:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Azerban posted:

this league is a joke because somehow the union have 'discovery rights' on zlatan

good find, idiots
For all the kerfuffle over the last couple of pages or so, it's stuff like this which is why MLS as it currently stands can be an infuriating pile of poo poo. It has nothing to do with the actual football, and everything to do with the actual organization.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Azerban posted:

good find, idiots

drat, give that scout a raise for finding that diamond in the rough

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

You guys do know that most other leagues in CONCACAF (and even CONMEBOL maybe) do playoffs and poo poo like that to keep interest up, see also the "torneos cortos" phenomenon. No league in the Americas does a proper "European style" standard championship. MLS is fine and it's definitely the second best league in CONCACAF and in the top 5 in the Americas.

Also see Argentina or Mexico with their crazy relegation systems or the fact that everyone changes the rules/structure of the tournament all of the time. Some of the MLS rules are very "American" but it is a thing in the whole continent to do crazy/silly things with our leagues.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Make a pro rel thread and take your terrible slapfight there

KFBR392
Jan 21, 2016

by Cowcaster

Gigi Galli posted:

e: Also KFBR392 you're going to have to settle down on the old memes if you want me to keep pretending I don't know who you are.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ndf1Y0mH01I

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Would this be the thread to discus the potential US/Mexico joint host for the 2026 World Cup? Because the concept is interesting - it would certainly be a boon for Fox Sports, who currently has the rights not only to the World Cup, but also to some US and Mexican national team matches.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

CaptainYesterday posted:

Would this be the thread to discus the potential US/Mexico joint host for the 2026 World Cup? Because the concept is interesting - it would certainly be a boon for Fox Sports, who currently has the rights not only to the World Cup, but also to some US and Mexican national team matches.

it would be poo poo

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I am devoid of all individual thought. Please tell me what I'm supposed to hate.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Star Man posted:

I am devoid of all individual thought. Please tell me what I'm supposed to hate.

All teams that aren't yours. And DC even if they are yours.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Tigren posted:

All teams that aren't yours. And DC even if they are yours.

My team is Colorado and I am paranoid that there's going to be a bust any minute now.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Lol well played

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Azerban posted:

good find, idiots

lol this owns

wonder we can extort from LA for Zlats

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

I didn't get to watch the Fire game last night and I'm probably happier for it.

This team is just :smith: personified right now.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Hello Towel posted:

I didn't get to watch the Fire game last night and I'm probably happier for it.

This team is just :smith: personified right now.

I was not expecting your coach to be that angry that early in the game; the "gently caress!" cries started around minute 6. By the end of the game two Salvadoran guys came to my row just to hassle Alvarez.

Also, I think other than Accam, Alvarez, Kennedy, and Lampson--wait, Harrington too--the rest of the lineup was like "who?"

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Paunovic is a good coach; I hope we can hold onto him. Accam is almost definitely on his way out, though, along with Sean Johnson.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Hello Towel posted:

Paunovic is a good coach; I hope we can hold onto him. Accam is almost definitely on his way out, though, along with Sean Johnson.

Accam was the only dude out there who looked like he had a job to do. Also, Cocis's back was covered in circular hickeys from cupping

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
The Timbers. Are. Bad.

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

ShutteredIn posted:

The Timbers. Are. Bad.

I. Am. Sad.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

:siren: :siren: :siren: JOZY UPDATE :siren: :siren: :siren:

He's out 6-8 weeks, will miss up to 11 TFC games and the Copa

Great signing, good job

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

Great signing, good job

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

Great signing, good job

TFC gonna miss all those goals Jozy was scoring. Oh, he hasn't scored at all this season?

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

came here to post this, gently caress

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Tigren posted:

TFC gonna miss all those goals Jozy was scoring. Oh, he hasn't scored at all this season?

Ah yes, but you see, his hold up play

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

Ah yes, but you see, his hold up play

Explain to me how you pull your hamstring taking a penalty.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

Shrapnig posted:

Didn't he pull it kicking a water bottle last time?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I'm hearing that Herediano's Keyner Brown might be heading to MLS soon. He's a decent CB who sometimes does something stupid and becomes a liability. Similar to how Waston was before going to Vancouver but not so huge.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Shrapnig posted:

"Hold up play" is the new "service" as the reason for why he's good even though he doesn't score goals, now that he actually gets service and still does gently caress all

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Anyone familiar with the Mexican National Team know why Giovanni dos Santos would turn down the call up for Copa America?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Haven't the Dos Santii had issues with the Mexican NT for a long time. I know there was a rift awhile ago that included a few players.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 18, 2016

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

threeagainstfour posted:

Anyone familiar with the Mexican National Team know why Giovanni dos Santos would turn down the call up for Copa America?

Because the Copa America is worthless and he has an relationship with the Mexican coach like Landon did with Jurgen.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Fire sign Dutch striker Michael de Leeuw, but he won't join until July.

He's the next in an illustrious line of Dutch strikers in Chicago that includes Sherjill MacDonald and Collins John.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Hello Towel posted:

Fire sign Dutch striker Michael de Leeuw, but he won't join until July.

He's the next in an illustrious line of Dutch strikers in Chicago that includes Sherjill MacDonald and Collins John.

Truly a who's who list of who? and who?

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Truly a who's who list of who? and who?

Seven career MLS goals between them. Real scintillating stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

So this Dutch guy is signing fresh from a team in Thailand. I'm sure he'll be worth every penny. Seriously there have been guys who've washed out of the NASL and USL who end up there. Quality stuff from Chicago.

• Locked thread