Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Darthemed posted:

Calvin and Hobbes
I just love this.

RandomFerret posted:

Ballard Street

Weird, usually cartoon sneezes propel the character backwards, not forward.
If he leaned too far forward so he got his head between his leg when sneezing it would have propelled him forward and doing a roll to land on his stomach. Crazier things have happened on that street.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

Pluggers wear their bodies out by the time they hit 40.

Inspector Danger

Deep Dark Fears

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Poil posted:

I just love this.

If he leaned too far forward so he got his head between his leg when sneezing it would have propelled him forward and doing a roll to land on his stomach. Crazier things have happened on that street.

Alternatly, somebody else sneezed him out of the house and he's the one saying the line.

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
Once upon a time I tried being a useful member of society by posting comics in this thread. Then useless poo poo like "work" and "family" got in the way. I've solved both problems by putting my children to work in a local lead mining operation and I once again have time to share the joy of modern Gasoline Alley with the world.

Gasoline Alley

Heavenly Nostrils

Big Nate

Ziggy

Ye Olde Fox Trot

Cul de Sac

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Urban Wizard posted:

Am I the only one that's really bothered by this bullshit arc in Crankshaft right now? I don't really know how to put it into words but every single thing about it is making me really angry. Like, moreso than it normally would.
It's because Batuik really, really wants to be a Serious Writer, but doesn't know how to write with any nuance or how to make an interesting character. Hell, half the time he can't even keep his own plotlines straight (like the whole Lisa's Story Goes Hollywood arc). He also can't write any form of pathos beyond "someone dies", and cancer worked so well last time of course he's going to dip back into that well.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

treasureplane posted:

Nancy (June 7, 1943)

So now we know that Nancy and Aunt Fritzi are flat-foot floogies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFVeJ4wHWdQ

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Julet Esqu posted:

The Heart of Juliet Jones

If nobody else is going to say it then I will: Eve is a national treasure and that last panel makes me wish that wide aspect ratio avatars were a thing.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set wasn't going to try it anyway.

Working Daze references [CURRENT THING].

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix asks, tells.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Working Daze is like if Tim Buckley decided to reinvent CAD (again) by making it just as bland and hateful but this time cut away all the cursing and dead babies.

It's our loss, really.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo (May 19, 1958)

Peanuts: Year Five (November 8-10, 1954)

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Odonata posted:

Once upon a time I tried being a useful member of society by posting comics in this thread. Then useless poo poo like "work" and "family" got in the way. I've solved both problems by putting my children to work in a local lead mining operation and I once again have time to share the joy of modern Gasoline Alley with the world.
Cul de Sac

Hooray for lead mines! I missed Cul de Sac.

Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbusts of Everett True

Whoops Sisters

Good Time Guy (click for big)

Man, I want to read "Good Time Bill"

Mopsy

And THAT'S how you do gams.

Feiffer (click for big)

Wee Pals

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Oh, good. The Luann/Bernice self congratulatory wankfest continues.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Strange just dragging Spidey along like a suitcase.

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger
He got a promotion for being framed?

Call Your Grandma posted:

If nobody else is going to say it then I will: Eve is a national treasure and that last panel makes me wish that wide aspect ratio avatars were a thing.
Here are a couple of options you could go with anyway:

Oh, Eric! I'm so proud of you — honest I am!

Oh, Eric—I'm so proud of you—honest I am—

And a full scale one if you want it for anything:

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Careful, Brooke. The booing from the readers is starting to leak into your strip.

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's because Batuik really, really wants to be a Serious Writer, but doesn't know how to write with any nuance or how to make an interesting character. Hell, half the time he can't even keep his own plotlines straight (like the whole Lisa's Story Goes Hollywood arc). He also can't write any form of pathos beyond "someone dies", and cancer worked so well last time of course he's going to dip back into that well.

It's too bad that the dark future with near-death Crankshaft never went anywhere, even after Crankshaft had a supernatural vision of him. When is Crankshaft set, by the way? Is it still 1999 there, as opposed to Funky's nondescript mid-2020s?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Crankshaft takes place twenty years earlier than Funky Winkerbean but they are both set in the current year.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Heck, turn that into a gang tag and i'd sport it

E:

Aardmania posted:

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

and we dare suggest brooke takes himself too seriously

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 07:08 on May 17, 2016

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Jack Gladney posted:

It's too bad that the dark future with near-death Crankshaft never went anywhere, even after Crankshaft had a supernatural vision of him. When is Crankshaft set, by the way? Is it still 1999 there, as opposed to Funky's nondescript mid-2020s?
Crankshaft takes place in 2016. Funky Winkerbean takes place twenty years later, in 2016.

I don't understand what your problem is here? :confused:

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Moomin

Classic Dilbert

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Oh, Big surprise. Phantom just shrugs off a lamp to the back of the head.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & :stare:

:wtc:

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

"Fruity" is a derogatory slur against gay people and sometimes I think Mike Peters forgets if he's submitting a Mother Goose & Grimm or one of his milquetoast political cartoons.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (March 19, 1929)

Peanuts (May 20, 1969)

Funky OH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD

The ultimate hack joke: parents who look exactly like their children.

Cancershaft

Rip Haywire

It's the Ghost Who Squawks!

Out Our Way (April 12-13, 1929)

Thimble Theater (December 4, 1929)

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

EasyEW posted:

Rip Haywire

*Old henhouse saying

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Happy International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia!

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

SomeMathGuy posted:

*Old henhouse saying

*Spoken in BOKBOKBOK

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

EasyEW posted:

Rip Haywire

Wonder if he'll run into Manduck the Magician next.

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Candorville

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
Candorville is just so loving self-indulgent. All the time.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (April 24, 1951)

Barnaby (September 29, 1942)

Nancy (June 8, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (February 19, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (March 20, 1923)

Lil' Abner (November 3, 1936)

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Selachian posted:

Candorville

You know it sort of completely undermines your point about comfort in your sexuality and appreciation for the ability of another member of your gender to be attractive if you feel the need to keep reminding us of how straight you are.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Odonata posted:

Thank you for returning.

And thank you to everyone else who takes time to post comics in this thread.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

:cawg:

Oh that's fresh. Girl, you'll be renting out that room in 4 years.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Manuel Calavera posted:

Mother Goose & :stare:

:wtc:

I'd buy the heck out of those.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Just finished catching up with this thread over the last couple of weeks, and man have I missed it. I can't believe how much I've come to enjoy Rip Haywire, and I'm also really glad that people are posting more old comics. Everett True is still is great as always, and old Fritzi/Nancy still owns, but Out Our Way and Thimble Theater are also pretty fantastic. I'll probably read a few more of them now that I'm not trying to power through the thread.

Thanks for keeping this up, everyone!

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

I'd say it's the worst thing about Brooke's comics, but everything about his comics are the worst thing about his comics, but contrast between "wolf bugging out his eyes and hitting himself over the head with a hammer hommina hommina hommina" that we are supposed to be getting from the women in his strip vs the actual ghastly, angular, toothy doodles he craps out is really jarring. They aren't attractive in a conventional, modern, retro, stylish, or any other aesthetic way. He could draw boobs on stick figures and it wouldn't remove the reader any further from what we're supposed to be reading from these characters.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

This Lincoln one gets trotted around from time to time and it's the sort of "technically true but misleading" thing that Ripley's likes to deal in. Specifically, when Lincoln established the Secret Service, they were created to combat rampant counterfeiting that cropped up at the end of the Civil War. They served a solely financial purpose until 1901 when the whole "protect the President" thing was added to their portfolio following the McKinley assassination - presumably because no one gave a gently caress about James Garfield.

Anyway there's your useless law enforcement branch trivia for the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Johnny Aztec posted:

Oh, Big surprise. Phantom just shrugs off a lamp to the back of the head.

Should have taken a page out of Eve Jones' book and used a huge wrench.

• Locked thread